Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:00 pm

This is terrific news!

Re: Prince From Another Planet --> MSG Set Due Out In Septem

Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:12 pm

Rob wrote:See my previous post.

Yep. we posted at the same time.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:17 pm

Wow - what a year this is turning out to be.

Thanks Doc for the info. This is wonderful news. I have always hoped that the evening show would be remixed from scratch, so now I can't wait to hear the results.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:59 pm

I'm betting on the team of Anesini & Sebastien.......who will be doing the re-mixing and re-mastering of this great MSG restoration project.

My hope by the end of this year is for Warner Brothers to let loose their Elvis film vaults and release a multi DVD/BD set of Elvis On Tour (40th anniversary edition set) , now that momentum has picked up at a fever pitch.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:01 pm

This is good news /bad news:
Good news: The MSG shows are getting their due.

Bad news: I have to wait until October to hear it!

So these shows won't get the FTD treatment?

I think eventually (a year or two) there will be an FTD of the original mix (or the Anesini mixes) of the show with the original cover.

Delboy wrote:
Thanks DJC for the post.

Rich_TCB wrote:
Thanks Doc for the info.

For the record - the thanks / credit for the "breaking news" on this should go to Mystery Train in his original thread: http://www.elvis-collectors.com/

Go there for more comments.

There was already 3 pages of discussion on this before Doc started a new thread.

Thanks Mystery Train for your post!
This is listed by EPE on the list of official events for Elvis Week:

Sony Music Panel
Friday, August 17, 4:30 p.m. Elvis Week Main Stage, Graceland. Find out more about upcoming releases from John Jackson, Vice President of A&R and Content Development for Legacy Recordings, the catalog division of Sony Music Entertainment, and Ernst Jorgensen and Roger Semon, record producers for Sony and the team responsible for the Follow That Dream Record label. In anticipation of the upcoming release of “Prince From Another Planet,” included will be a screening of the never-before-seen footage from Elvis’ performance in Madison Square Garden in June 1972. The panel will also include more about the “I am an Elvis Fan” release, upcoming FTD projects and a chance to get answers to your questions about Elvis’ music.

MT

RKS

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:30 pm

Fantastic news!!

The set will probably be a 5 " cover, i would actually prefer 7 " like those FTD classic albums,
Makes it just a bit more atrractive i think.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:33 pm

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:I think eventually (a year or two) there will be an FTD of the original mix (or the Anesini mixes) of the show with the original cover.

Let's hope that the focus by FTD will be on the On Tour concerts in "a year or two"!

RKS, it's not going to be essential or necessary for FTD to address the MSG shows
after the upcoming, defining Legacy release.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:41 pm

Looks like a great release! Happy to see that the legendary MSG concerts get a proper 40th anniversary release.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:44 pm

Blue River wrote:
RKS, it's not going to be essential or necessary for FTD to address the MSG shows

You're right about that one. FTD should shift their focus on restoring AFH and have it ready for the fans in time for the 40th anniversary next January/February.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:45 pm

L Ray wrote:Doc, when you say the mix will most likely be very bright and modern, do you think that is a good thing, or not?

It will be a good thing (I hope).

memphisound wrote:Doc thank you alot for translating this for us.

Delboy wrote:Thanks DJC for the post.

Rich_TCB wrote:Thanks Doc for the info. This is wonderful news.

The pleasure is all mine.

The press conference photo I uploaded on page 1 is perhaps my favorite -- I mean, how cool can one man be?

Rob wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:I have tried to translate the page for all of you who dig '70s Elvis like I do!

Quit it.

Quit what? :D

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:52 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
L Ray wrote:Doc, when you say the mix will most likely be very bright and modern, do you think that is a good thing, or not?

It will be a good thing (I hope).

memphisound wrote:Doc thank you alot for translating this for us.

Delboy wrote:Thanks DJC for the post.

Rich_TCB wrote:Thanks Doc for the info. This is wonderful news.

The pleasure is all mine.

The press conference photo I uploaded on page 1 is perhaps my favorite -- I mean, how cool can one man be?

Rob wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:I have tried to translate the page for all of you who dig '70s Elvis like I do!

Quit it.

Quit what? :D

Don't worry Doc, "Quit It" is one of Rob's famous catchphrases. He also used that line when I started to write love letters to him.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:56 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:Don't worry Doc, "Quit It" is one of Rob's famous catchphrases.

Oh, I know.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:04 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:Don't worry Doc, "Quit It" is one of Rob's famous catchphrases. He also used that line when I started to write love letters to him.

Maybe you should try sending Rob a love tweet. Something like, "Dear Rob, will you be my Conway Tweety, even if it's only make believe?"

Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:09 pm

Pete Dube wrote:
TCB-FAN wrote:Don't worry Doc, "Quit It" is one of Rob's famous catchphrases. He also used that line when I started to write love letters to him.

Maybe you should try sending Rob a love tweet. Something like, "Dear Rob, will you be my Conway Tweety, even if it's only make believe?"

Quit it!

Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:39 pm

Great News! First Elvis release in years worth buying :D

Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:12 pm

hope they are going to more ....footage from local tv at concerts :lol:

Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:18 pm

Blue River wrote:
Let's hope that the focus by FTD will be on the On Tour concerts in "a year or two"!

It is my hope also that FTD will focus on other "essential" releases, including "On Tour". But there will be those who want the original album and artwork in the 7" FTD series and some who will want the original sound as first released in 1972 and FTD will be more than happy to make that happen.

All FTD has to do is use the Anesini masters used on the Complete Masters with the original artwork -

It won't happen right away, but in time it will. If they can sell it twice, they will.

RKS

Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:41 pm

Blue River wrote:
RKSNASHVILLE wrote:I think eventually (a year or two) there will be an FTD of the original mix (or the Anesini mixes) of the show with the original cover.

Let's hope that the focus by FTD will be on the On Tour concerts imminently! It's clearly obvious no mainstream set is ever going to be done by Sony - and why would they now in light of this new MSG project. Its high time Hampton Roads came out. It's 2012, 40 years on - they didn't release anything to tie in with the DVD/Blu-Ray and so far nothing has been released to mark the anniversary of the concerts. Maybe in November there will be something to tie in with the original movie release date.

In any event I hope the mixes and mastering - for both Madison and On Tour - are real and natural sounding, and not "bright and modern".

Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:42 pm

phpBB [video]

Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:51 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:... how cool can one man be?

Wait a minute! Are you talking about Elvis or Javilu ?! :roll:

:D

Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:40 am

Blue River wrote:

About me, probably!

Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:47 am

Matthew wrote:In any event I hope the mixes and mastering - for both Madison and On Tour - are real and natural sounding, and not "bright and modern".

Of course those of us who have heard the afternoon show featured on 'Operation Big Apple' will know what to expect.....

I wonder whether they will decide to leave in the false start to Can't Help Falling In Love played in error before I can't Stop Loving You?

Thanks Doc for informing us about this new release.

Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:19 am

We may at last now get to know if "Until it's time for you to go" really WAS edited out of the 1st show all those years ago. We all can hear the edit immediately after the song "Never been to Spain". I'm hoping that this is from the original recorded master tape and NOT the butchered album master created for the 1972 LP and all subsequent releases.

Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:44 am

Blue River wrote:

There is no confusion if you read with care.

drjohncarpenter wrote:The press conference photo I uploaded on page 1 is perhaps my favorite -- I mean, how cool can one man be?

Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:53 am

Prince From Another Planet ????

. . . it's all a ruse to deflect our attention from "I Forgot To Remember To Forget". :D

Steve Morse