Ernst and Sony's Presentation, Elvis Week

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

DEH
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Re: Ernst and Sony's Presentation, Elvis Week

Post by DEH »

It's 35 years later. if they had been paying attention then they would know that new people are in charge and they have been looking for new stuff!!!!!! it's not rocket science. "we had to slowly gain his trust". give me a break. it's not as if he had the holy grail of lost Elvis material. the holders of this stuff need to get over themselves. i

Tony..
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Post by Tony.. »

I was quite surprised at Ernst's dismissal of the existence of "Rock around the clock". Isn't it true that a muffled recording done in someone's pocket of the song being played at a private gathering exists, therefore the recording that was being played is extant. :?:

elvissessions
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by elvissessions »

In what way was what he said a "dismissal"?

"Dismissal" as in "dismissive"?

The video does not support that characterization.

Tony..

Post by Tony.. »

elvissessions wrote:In what way was what he said a "dismissal"?

He says something about he wished he could have "Rock around the clock" about 3 times or such references of that nature.

paulsweeney
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Ernst and Sony's Presentation, Elvis Week

Post by paulsweeney »

Tim C wrote:Nowhere in the video did it say the guy wanted to hold onto this stuff for 40 years. As a matter of fact he wanted to release it to RCA right after Elvis passing. They rejected him because they had more stuff than they knew what to do with at the time. Not to mention that as I recall some of the rumors going on at the time. RCA had a rather harsh way of dealing with people who had stuff back then...to the point that threats were being made and that's what made people clam up, close their doors and wait RCA/BMG/Sony out till things were/are public domain, those people have proven they are more than willing to do just that.

Some of the time these people sold their stuff to bootleggers and collectors instead of deal with the bad blood RCA instilled in people who had stuff. 40 Years ago it was a different world and Sony doesn't have the luxury to push it's weight around as much as it used to as Sony is running out of material and Sony doesn't want to burn bridges to sources of material they can make money on.

So if you want to lay blame for people not dealing with Elvis record company, blame the company. They thought because they owned the recorded voice or image of Elvis that they owned the physical videos and recordings that people possessed and that they could strong arm people out of their own property, but that only goes so far and then it drives everyone underground right into the hands of the bootleggers.

We are lucky enough to have someone like Ernst who smoothed the waters and was able to make a deal with a man who as John said in the video thankfully broke the law.
Well stated. You are bang on.

Walter Hale 4
Registered for: 18 years

Post by Walter Hale 4 »

Tim C wrote:Nowhere in the video did it say the guy wanted to hold onto this stuff for 40 years. As a matter of fact he wanted to release it to RCA right after Elvis passing. They rejected him because they had more stuff than they knew what to do with at the time. Not to mention that as I recall some of the rumors going on at the time. RCA had a rather harsh way of dealing with people who had stuff back then...to the point that threats were being made and that's what made people clam up, close their doors and wait RCA/BMG/Sony out till things were/are public domain, those people have proven they are more than willing to do just that.

Some of the time these people sold their stuff to bootleggers and collectors instead of deal with the bad blood RCA instilled in people who had stuff. 40 Years ago it was a different world and Sony doesn't have the luxury to push it's weight around as much as it used to as Sony is running out of material and Sony doesn't want to burn bridges to sources of material they can make money on.

So if you want to lay blame for people not dealing with Elvis record company, blame the company. They thought because they owned the recorded voice or image of Elvis that they owned the physical videos and recordings that people possessed and that they could strong arm people out of their own property, but that only goes so far and then it drives everyone underground right into the hands of the bootleggers.

We are lucky enough to have someone like Ernst who smoothed the waters and was able to make a deal with a man who as John said in the video thankfully broke the law.

Hey Tim, Just have to say that this has to be a contender for FECC Post of the year. This is one helluva post you write and talked about.

billyblues
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Post by billyblues »

Tony.. wrote:
elvissessions wrote:In what way was what he said a "dismissal"?

He says something about he wished he could have "Rock around the clock" about 3 times or such references of that nature.
From your words I understand that he's saying he wished he could have RATC. Read what you've just said... It's not that it doesn't exist. It's a matter of he's not being able to have it to release it for us. :wink:

Thank you, Blue River. Thank you, rjm. Thank you, Ken.

YDKM
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by YDKM »

Robt wrote:

Hey Tim, Just have to say that this has to be a contender for FECC Post of the year. This is one helluva post you write and talked about.
ABSOLUTELY~! 8) 8) 8)

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

Tim C
Prolonged Suspension. Repeat Offender
Registered for: 13 years 11 months

Post by Tim C »

DEH did you even watch the video! The bad blood was still there after 40 years for this guy. The guy didn't even want to discuss the material. Still after 40 years he didn't want to discuss it!!! That's exactly what was said. Thankfully Ernst talked the guy into loosening up and realizing he wasn't going to use Sony leverage as a baseball bat to hit him over the head with. Pay attention. How was this guy supposed to know Ernst and Sony wouldn't treat him exactly the same? He didn't want to talk to Ernst. Past experience was all he had to go by and being burned isn't fun so why risk it all over again?

Were it me that RCA treated this way, I would have told RCA to piss up a rope and stored it till it was public domain somewhere and released it there, forever screwing RCA like they tried to screw these people.
If you think RCA wasn't that way then, just think about how they screwed Elvis out of royalties from his life's work up to 1973. These boys were no joke, they had plenty of material then and they could play hard ball, and they did. Sony is taking a different approach, trying to open up doors instead of having a scorched earth policy...Thank God!!!

When someone has an audience, do not disrupt them with the purpose of stealing their audience.
When you do a favor do not make others notice your effort.
Do not be impressed by strong personalities.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

DEH wrote:Same here. The people that hoard this stuff for years and years. they don't make any sense. "Oh i was burned years ago blah blah blah"""". oh poor baby. Grow up for crying out loud. and if they think the longer they hold on to it the more they will make they are wrong. they are just not thinkin properly.
Attitudes like this make it harder for private material to come out - ever think about that? Be a part of the solution, and not part of the problem, DEH.

TCB-FAN
Registered for: 15 years

Post by TCB-FAN »

Tim C wrote:We are lucky enough to have someone like Ernst who smoothed the waters and was able to make a deal with a man who as John said in the video thankfully broke the law.

In this case, crime certainly does pay.

"If The Songs Don't Go Over With The Crowd, We Can Always Do A Medley Of Costumes."

Elvis A. Presley, 1970

DEH
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Post by DEH »

I understand how things may have been 35 years ago. but how long has ernst been making it known that they are looking for new stuff?? quite a while now. This guy should have been paying attention instead of holding grudges against the people in charge years ago.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

DEH wrote:I understand how things may have been 35 years ago. but how long has ernst been making it known that they are looking for new stuff?? quite a while now. This guy should have been paying attention instead of holding grudges against the people in charge years ago.
Did you miss my post? Stop being a part of the problem DEH! I wonder how many collectors have come up against poor attitudes like yours and gone "well screw you, I'm not giving anything away now." I wonder how much good material stays behind closed doors because of people like you!

Did you even watch the video - including the part where Ernst said he had a list of notes from the Deary days and had tried to track him down but without any success until one day, when chatting with someone else they said "oh, I know him."

Most people have normal lives beyond internet forums. You make it out that he should have been scouring the internet and keeping his ear to the ground to get all his personal items out as soon as possible!

Tim C
Registered for: 13 years 11 months

Post by Tim C »

Good points Matthew, life happens and this guys collection became a casualty of this person having a life beyond what we as fans want. It sounds like to he doesn't eat, sleep, drink, and breathe Elvis like we do. He let it go, and he moved on with life.

Thanks all for the compliments on my post. Ernst really deserved credit here for sticking with it and finally finding this guy. The truth is, he was persistent and it paid off.

When someone has an audience, do not disrupt them with the purpose of stealing their audience.
When you do a favor do not make others notice your effort.
Do not be impressed by strong personalities.

Justin

Post by Justin »

DEH wrote:I understand how things may have been 35 years ago. but how long has ernst been making it known that they are looking for new stuff?? quite a while now. This guy should have been paying attention instead of holding grudges against the people in charge years ago.
What?

As Matthew says above...there is a world outside this messageboard. We are not the "norm." I would even guess that Don Lance may not have even known who Ernst was until he was contacted by him. Take a moment once and a while and realize that this board does not rule the world.

elvis56
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by elvis56 »

Justin wrote:
What?

As Matthew says above...there is a world outside this messageboard. We are not the "norm." I would even guess that Don Lance may not have even known who Ernst was until he was contacted by him. Take a moment once and a while and realize that this board does not rule the world.
I very much doubt this is something they practice (Sony/Ernst//Roger) but the Elvis world is in fact a very small world. Especially with people (not) knowing about FTD, what it means & who is Ernst to the person that may have seen or collected Elvis back in the day when Elvis was still with us - many people live their lives & of that age many may not even have the computer addiction that many of us live with
Although, people that still are active inElvis World will be aware people like Ernst are on the look out, the general Elvis fan of old will be in the dark.
One thing we have learned this past few weeks is stuff (wire) sits out there with people totally unaware of what they sit on & 2: Graceland pulls in the most Elvis fans anywhere in the world at some point

WHY is there not some notice permanently on display at Graceland etc askin, if u have something, we'd like to hear for you etc. now I know this would bring out all sorts of worthless rubbish so it would have to be worded well but in simple terms, so that some blonde? Doesn't offer a bootleg last concert cd etc as proved the case last week, but I wonder what other goodies this might reveal
Some old grandmother that hasn't really bought Elvis for yrs but was compelled to be there for the 35th last week may have been the only person on her block with a tape recorder back in the 50s, may of been a big fan at the time n b sitting on a ton o tape of recorded sat nites indoors waiting for the Louisiana hayride to come on the tv or radio-it is what people do & it gets stashed away, lost n forgotten till someone reminds them-who knows? if somebody can film Elvis on his tractor in 1957, what's to say someone else never filmed a hayride performance off the tv a couple o yrs earlier.....
It's now 2012 & the obvious places to look have been exhausted-it's time to try something new & let the small person find the researcher
Ernst found some 200 new pics for the Tupelo book, I bet many of those were just sitting in drawers of fans from a bygone age n thought to be of no 'major' value. Look what a difference they make when put together tho
Now I also know this method has potential to reveal items that we may never of dreamt of existing, but it has little chance of showing up lost session reels long lost or stolen. BUT there again if this was made clear that the past is the past n IF u are in possession of such things, we at Sony are looking to offer you reward not retribution. Once again who knows what stuff will re-appear
I know for a fact some stuff surfaced last week in Memphis that Ernst missed for his book, which include pics of an unknown show-I spoke to the guy myself & he has some other stuff that hopefully he has sorted with a collector for future release-I'm not at liberty to say what it is but we will all want this when it surfaces-I pray a deal was made
My opinion is flyer Graceland permanently offering reward for missing Elvis - it has real potential, u can say it's pointless n maybe too late after 70,000 have already left last week BUT IT'S NEVER TOO LATE!

Normal people will be sitting on stuff & that is the stuff that will be lost forever without us ever knowing it even existed :(
Last edited by elvis56 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

Yes i think its 'amazing/incredible' that good material was rejected by RCA over 30 years ago!
"It is revealed that the guy (Don Lance) worked at the Hilton and just left his tape recorder on a table when he heard Elvis and his band was rehearsing and would go back to pick it up later! "
This is incredible and as rehearsals are so RARE i can enjoy ANYTHING i have not heard b4!~
their wasn't much revealing or breath taking after the insiders conference but this will be exciting enough for now for certain!~...and it only took over 3 decades coming!~ amazing!!!!! and GOOD STUFF TOO!~ :lol: 8) :D

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

Roustabout64
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by Roustabout64 »

Faith modern Elvis fans just about everything the man from Denmark told?
I have more and more the impression ...

Please forgive my bad ENGLISH!

Renan
Registered for: 19 years 4 months

Post by Renan »

elvis56 wrote:I know for a fact some stuff surfaced last week in Memphis that Ernst missed for his book, which include pics of an unknown show-I spoke to the guy myself & he has some other stuff that hopefully he has sorted with a collector for future release-I'm not at liberty to say what it is but we will all want this when it surfaces-I pray a deal was made
Is it unreleased audio or footage?

"Ain't it funny how time slips away...."

luckyjackson1
Registered for: 13 years 9 months

Post by luckyjackson1 »

The story on the end where the lady tells about being at MSG but she couldn't hear anything from the music because of the screaming gave me goosebumps! :D

If I get it right, I think the live-recording of IFTRTF cannot be purchased, as the collector either wants too much money for it or somebody else outbid SONY's offer (sorry if this has been mentioned before).

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

TCB-FAN
Registered for: 15 years

Post by TCB-FAN »

luckyjackson1 wrote:The story on the end where the lady tells about being at MSG but she couldn't hear anything from the music because of the screaming gave me goosebumps! :D.

New York crowds were always brutal.

"If The Songs Don't Go Over With The Crowd, We Can Always Do A Medley Of Costumes."

Elvis A. Presley, 1970

Blue River
Banned
Banned

Post by Blue River »

Tim C wrote:... just think about how they (RCA) screwed Elvis out of royalties from his life's work up to 1973. These boys were no joke, they had plenty of material then and they could play hard ball, and they did.
That might not be a very good analogy, Tim C.
RCA didn't screw Elvis out of anything. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't it the Colonel who approached RCA about the deal?
Either way, nobody twisted Elvis' or the Colonel's arm to sign the deal.

elvis56 wrote:WHY is there not some notice permanently on display at Graceland etc askin, if u have something, we'd like to hear from you etc. now I know this would bring out all sorts of worthless rubbish so it would have to be worded well but in simple terms, so that some blonde? Doesn't offer a bootleg last concert cd etc as proved the case last week, but I wonder what other goodies this might reveal
C'mon elvis56! What more do you want and expect from Sony?!
We just recently got the "I Am An Elvis Fan" cd !!! :roll: :lol:

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

billyblues

Post by billyblues »

Renan wrote:
elvis56 wrote:I know for a fact some stuff surfaced last week in Memphis that Ernst missed for his book, which include pics of an unknown show-I spoke to the guy myself & he has some other stuff that hopefully he has sorted with a collector for future release-I'm not at liberty to say what it is but we will all want this when it surfaces-I pray a deal was made
Oh man, the curiosity kills me! :o

Blue River
Banned
Banned

Post by Blue River »

Renan wrote:
elvis56's description above makes it seem as though it's just pictures from a show.

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

billyblues

Post by billyblues »

Blue River wrote:
Renan wrote:
elvis56's description above makes it seem as though it's just pictures from a show.
Nah, BR, check out the parts in bold.