Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Rapid City 21st june 1977

Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:58 am

This just a question, why hasnt this concert being released on silver dics and complete. I understand it has been released on Elvis In Concert "Final Performances" 1977 but its not complete, ie HURT isnt on this. Omaha has been released why not rapid city any one with any info on this would be grateful.

Re: Rapid City 21st june 1977

Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:29 pm

xmascarrol wrote:This just a question, why hasnt this concert being released on silver dics and complete. I understand it has been released on Elvis In Concert "Final Performances" 1977 but its not complete, ie HURT isnt on this. Omaha has been released why not rapid city any one with any info on this would be grateful.

Rapid City was released in its most complete form (only the band intros are missing) on the forbidden-to-discuss box set, although Hurt did feature significantly different camera angles, with Ginger super imposed over Elvis being almost the entire focus of the song.

It is a great question though!! I would absolutely like to see Rapid City totally and seamlessly uncut like Omaha was. With all band intros intact and every moment...everything.

Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:13 pm

Impossible now, since Chuck Berry don't want enybody to hear Elvis' version of Johnny B. Goode.

See EOT and From Hawaii To Vegas FTD topics :)

Dammit.

Only boots can save us now :)

Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:58 am

BrianTCB wrote:
xmascarrol wrote:This just a question, why hasnt this concert being released on silver dics and complete. I understand it has been released on Elvis In Concert "Final Performances" 1977 but its not complete, ie HURT isnt on this. Omaha has been released why not rapid city any one with any info on this would be grateful.

Rapid City was released in its most complete form (only the band intros are missing) on the forbidden-to-discuss box set, although Hurt did feature significantly different camera angles, with Ginger super imposed over Elvis being almost the entire focus of the song.

It is a great question though!! I would absolutely like to see Rapid City totally and seamlessly uncut like Omaha was. With all band intros intact and every moment...everything.

i think i might of been mis-quotred on this i was talking about cd not dvd. Omaha was released on as i leave you, and candid on camera or something like that why no complete Rapid City.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:23 am

xmascarrol wrote:
BrianTCB wrote:

i think i might of been mis-quotred on this i was talking about cd not dvd. Omaha was released on as i leave you, and candid on camera or something like that why no complete Rapid City.

It's been released on this CD http://www.elvisconcerts.com/cds/rocksrapidcity.htm

Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:31 pm

xmascarrol wrote:This just a question, why hasnt this concert being released on silver dics and complete.

It is indeed a travesty.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:02 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
xmascarrol wrote:This just a question, why hasnt this concert being released on silver dics and complete.

It is indeed a travesty.

If you are waiting for a good release of this, i would wait for FTD to issue a release of the EIC album, remastered, it most likely will feature the best sound etc since FTD work from the original master tapes.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:08 pm

Tomek wrote:Impossible now, since Chuck Berry don't want enybody to hear Elvis' version of Johnny B. Goode.

Will it change after his death? He's almost 86 years old...

Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:11 pm

Lisa Rose wrote:
Tomek wrote:Impossible now, since Chuck Berry don't want enybody to hear Elvis' version of Johnny B. Goode.

Will it change after his death? He's almost 86 years old...

Who knows but thats kind of a cold statement isn't it geez.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:15 pm

memphisound wrote:Who knows but thats kind of a cold statement isn't it geez.

Just like his behavior towards Elvis fans.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:26 pm

Umm...right...same thing. :roll:

Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:39 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
xmascarrol wrote:
BrianTCB wrote:

It's been released on this CD http://www.elvisconcerts.com/cds/rocksrapidcity.htm

Thats a cd-r as far as I know.

The stuff has been released here by Wonderland Records..

http://ciscoking.jordans-elvis-world.com/cds/eic.htm

the most complete version of the Rapid City show you fin on this cdr..

http://ciscoking.jordans-elvis-world.co ... 21ES_F.jpg
http://ciscoking.jordans-elvis-world.co ... 21ES_B.jpg

Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:59 pm

Lisa Rose wrote:
memphisound wrote:Who knows but thats kind of a cold statement isn't it geez.

Just like his behavior towards Elvis fans.

He's a dick, in general. It's not Elvis fan specific. Any of the radio stations and promoters he's stood up over the years will tell you so.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:07 am

Chuck Berry is no stuffed turkey.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:46 pm

xmascarrol wrote:i think i might of been mis-quotred

smt174 Stop it, xmascarrol... you're killin' me!! smt174

Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:41 pm

i've always thought elvis rocks rapid city was a combination of EIC Album cuts (where avail) and the audio feed sent to CBS from the board. Same for Omaha material- I've always thought the audio available was the audio feed sent to CBS from the board.

I'd like to hear actual unedited sound board recordings from these concerts. In particular an actual soundboard recording of My Way.

Notice the difference between Candid Elvis on Camera from Omaha of HGTA vs the EIC Album version with overdubs...I don't think we've ever heard a Rapid City My Way without overdubs. Country Singer Janie Frickie was used in the studio to overdub female parts- and she's clearly heard on the EIC RCA Album versions.

The April 1977 version of My Way is great.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:18 pm

jamiecoyne wrote:i've always thought elvis rocks rapid city was a combination of EIC Album cuts (where avail) and the audio feed sent to CBS from the board. Same for Omaha material- I've always thought the audio available was the audio feed sent to CBS from the board.

I'd like to hear actual unedited sound board recordings from these concerts. In particular an actual soundboard recording of My Way.

Notice the difference between Candid Elvis on Camera from Omaha of HGTA vs the EIC Album version with overdubs...I don't think we've ever heard a Rapid City My Way without overdubs. Country Singer Janie Frickie was used in the studio to overdub female parts- and she's clearly heard on the EIC RCA Album versions.

I Agree, altough the most touching version for me has got to be the june 25 1977 last version of my way

Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:55 pm

jamiecoyne wrote:i've always thought elvis rocks rapid city was a combination of EIC Album cuts (where avail) and the audio feed sent to CBS from the board. Same for Omaha material- I've always thought the audio available was the audio feed sent to CBS from the board.

Can't agree with you on that, but you are correct about the source/s of the Omaha and Rapid City audio compilations. That said, what sits in the vaults from June 19 and 21, 1977 are likely the RCA multi-tracks, not soundboard tapes. One suspects a reissue from the unadulterated reels would reveal more warts than gems, though.

Besides, there are so many other mutli-tracked items from the '70s that merit remastering first, like the 4-09-1972 ES (Hampton Roads).

720409ES_Hampton Roads_Kummels.jpg
On stage, Hampton Roads, Sunday, April 9, 1972 ES
Photo: Karl Kummels
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:51 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Can't agree with you on that, but you are correct about the source/s of the Omaha and Rapid City audio compilations. That said, what sits in the vaults from June 19 and 21, 1977 are likely the RCA multi-tracks, not soundboard tapes. One suspects a reissue from the unadulterated reels would reveal more warts than gems, though. :shock: :roll: :shock:

Besides, there are so many other mutli-tracked items from the '70s that merit remastering first, like the 4-09-1972 ES (Hampton Roads).

720409ES_Hampton Roads_Kummels.jpg
On stage, Hampton Roads, Sunday, April 9, 1972 ES
Photo: Karl Kummels

:shock: :roll: :shock:

Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:29 pm

There is no soundboard of the Rapid City show in circulation, so the only known complete recording is the multi track in the RCA vaults.

"Elvis Rocks Rapid City" was a homemade CDR which was sourced from the CBS video tapes (in lesser quality than we have now) and the BMG "Elvis In Concert" CD.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:00 pm

The Rapid City concert is the last professional recording of our hero and therefore should be released via FTD.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:10 pm

A. C. van Kuijk wrote:The Rapid City concert is the last professional recording of our hero and therefore should be released via FTD.

Agreed... and hurry the hell up 'cause I ain't getting any younger...

Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:36 am

great info, guys...

Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:51 am

jamiecoyne wrote:great info, guys...

Any time.

Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:20 am

elvis-fan wrote:
A. C. van Kuijk wrote:The Rapid City concert is the last professional recording of our hero and therefore should be released via FTD.

Agreed... and hurry the hell up 'cause I ain't getting any younger...

Same Here. It'd help if we all joined forces and sent a pm to Ernst. EJ if you're reading this please make it happen before the year is out. Some of us are running out of money.