Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: For 1977 Fans only! - And people who like that concert y

Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:23 am

Johnny2523 wrote:If elvis was still in this state by 1977 but yet had this vocals i would bet my life on it that no one would complain about 1977

phpBB [video]

of course they wouldn't. but he didn;t have those vocals in 1977!!!!

Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:29 am

poormadpeter wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:If elvis was still in this state by 1977 but yet had this vocals i would bet my life on it that no one would complain about 1977

phpBB [video]

Still funny when this version is from 1977 and the footage simply isnt...

Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:31 am

phpBB [video]

A Great version of little sister followed by my fav quote.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:33 am

Wow if there was ANY way to acknowledge the decline in his vocal performances during the last years it's by listening to a 1977 performances juxtaposed with '68 footage. Quite effective.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:40 am

Johnny2523 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

phpBB [video]

Still funny when this version is from 1977 and the footage simply isnt...

i didn't even play it.

For 1977 Fans only! - And people who like that concert year.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:51 am

If Elvis had died a year earlier his musical legacy would be unchanged. At least the CBS special would never have occurred... if only.

Elvis' concerts in 1977 ought not to be celebrated, they ought to be reflected on in the light of what they are. A fallen superstar with a weak voice going through the motions to make a buck. It is a crying shame it came down to this for the artist we all love known as the King. And he was only 42.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:07 am

Matthew wrote:If Elvis had died a year earlier his musical legacy would be unchanged. At least the CBS special would never have occurred... if only.

Elvis' concerts in 1977 ought not to be celebrated, they ought to be reflected on in the light of what they are. A fallen superstar with a weak voice going through the motions to make a buck. It is a crying shame it came down to this for the artist we all love known as the King. And he was only 42.

I agree Matthew and this is the point ive been trying to get across since i first posted on this topic.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:38 am

memphisound wrote:
Matthew wrote:If Elvis had died a year earlier his musical legacy would be unchanged. At least the CBS special would never have occurred... if only.

I agree Matthew and this is the point ive been trying to get across since i first posted on this topic.

Weak voice? I don't hear that. Occasionally tired, but weak? How the hell did he belt out "Hurt", then? And i could cite other examples...but you know what....I am just sick of this whole thing. The majority here should just do what EPE does, and pretend Elvis died the morning after Aloha. Oh, but come to think of it, I've read plenty of critical comments about that performance, too. Maybe he should've died after the EOT Hampton Roads performance.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:40 am

Lonely Summer wrote:
memphisound wrote:

Weak voice? I don't hear that. Occasionally tired, but weak? How the hell did he belt out "Hurt", then? And i could cite other examples...but you know what....I am just sick of this whole thing. The majority here should just do what EPE does, and pretend Elvis died the morning after Aloha. Oh, but come to think of it, I've read plenty of critical comments about that performance, too. Maybe he should've died after the EOT Hampton Roads performance.

No no no don't put words in MY mouth,
i have many favorite concerts after Aloha, actually a crap load, but as much as they are my favorites and i love them, i know deep down they are far below the level that Elvis had been only a few years prior.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:55 am

memphisound wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:
memphisound wrote:

No no no don't put words in MY mouth,
i have many favorite concerts after Aloha, actually a crap load, but as much as they are my favorites and i love them, i know deep down they are far below the level that Elvis had been only a few years prior.

YOU may not feel that way, but there are at least a few here who do.

For 1977 Fans only! - And people who like that concert year.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:18 am

Occasionally tired? I don't hear it. Regularly tired, that's the truth, as is "belting out" Hurt. Elvis' voice was shot in 1977 with occasional glimmers of what once was. And he was only 42!!

Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:21 am

Matthew wrote:Occasionally tired? I don't hear it. Regularly tired, that's the truth, as is "belting out" Hurt. Elvis' voice was shot in 1977 with occasional glimmers of what once was. And he was only 42!!

Like all the people that knew or were around him by this point like Mr Lamar Fike, Billy Smith two of the few of the MM that had regular contact with Elvis at this point have stated numerous times, that by 1977 Elvis was just plain tired, simple as that.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:25 am

phpBB [video]

That is the weirdest, perhaps most perverse thing I've ever heard/seen! It's like some kind of apocalypse. :shock: :o

rjm

Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:52 am

Lonely Summer wrote:Weak voice? I don't hear that. Occasionally tired, but weak? How the hell did he belt out "Hurt", then? And i could cite other examples...

Yawn. I love how people are still whipping this little nugget out like some sort of "Gotcha!" It's been used to death. It's no surprise to anyone. No one here has forgotten about 'Hurt' or "How Great Thou Art" or "Rags To Riches" or whatever one-off song he did. Move on already. So he performed less than a handful of songs fairly well...that's supposed to save a year's worth of shows? Gain some perspective and get out of that tiny box you're living in.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:12 am

Justin wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:Weak voice? I don't hear that. Occasionally tired, but weak? How the hell did he belt out "Hurt", then? And i could cite other examples...

Yawn. I love how people are still whipping this little nugget out like some sort of "Gotcha!" It's been used to death. It's no surprise to anyone. No one here has forgotten about 'Hurt' or "How Great Thou Art" or "Rags To Riches" or whatever one-off song he did. Move on already. So he performed less than a handful of songs fairly well...that's supposed to save a year's worth of shows? Gain some perspective and get out of that tiny box you're living in.
I could've cited many examples beyond the ones you mention, but again, it would be a waste of time. You made up your mind a long time ago that Elvis couldn't sing worth a damn in 77...and that's fine, just don't insist that I see things exactly as you. No one is forcing you to punish yourself with daily viewings of EIC. Some of us prefer to enjoy the entire career of Elvis Presley.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:19 am

Lonely Summer wrote:
Justin wrote:

I could've cited many examples beyond the ones you mention, but again, it would be a waste of time. You made up your mind a long time ago that Elvis couldn't sing worth a damn in 77...and that's fine, just don't insist that I see things exactly as you. No one is forcing you to punish yourself with daily viewings of EIC. Some of us prefer to enjoy the entire career of Elvis Presley.

No one said he couldn't sing worth a damn in 77, because it had its few moments like many including myself have pointed out,
just stop trying to put 1977 on a creative level or personal level with Elvis on a pedestal because its a loosing battle, hell august 16th 1977 proved that as well
as the CBS material we have and countless recordings that are available some just perfer Elvis at his best, not when hes severley drugged and depressed.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:44 am

Justin wrote:Yawn. I love how people are still whipping this little nugget out like some sort of "Gotcha!" It's been used to death. It's no surprise to anyone.

Oh, I'll think those who always criticize Elvis in '77 are the ones who have used the same arguments to death; should have worn two-piece suits, been on holiday, dropped the 50-hits, that he is sick, stopped joking around with Charlie during AYLTN, band intros sucks, no EIC, bad set-list, worn-out, jokes regarding Shawn Nielsen and the bomb-dive etc..
memphisound wrote:No one said he couldn't sing worth a damn in 77, because it had its few moments like many including myself have pointed out.

So why can't just let some members here talk about those moments? Why do you have to, in a topic made for that, start bringing up the bad stuff? Why do you have to interfere? Why not use other topics to tell your opinion? Are you really that intolerant? What kind of egomaniacs are these haters?

My final words regarding this: in many, many other topics, when people start writing about other stuff than what the OP wanted to discuss, members often write 'let's keep to the topic'. And people seem to respect that. This is certainly not the case regarding Elvis's last year in '77. Members are allowed to shoot from the hip in the form of cheap and condescending comments all the time. To me that is fascinating - and sad, at the same time.

This was also the reason why I left the messageboard for a long time. I returned because I enjoy talking to other fans over the net - and I also hoped that this forum had changed for the better. I was wrong. It seems like we are closer to finding world peace than to discuss Elvis's final year(s) in a respectful way.
Last edited by Xaykev on Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:29 pm

Xaykev wrote:Oh, I'll think those who always criticize Elvis in '77 are the ones who have used the same arguments to death;

Those, who praize Elvis in 1977, have done so, too.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:30 pm

Another '77 thread with all the same routine replies...

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:37 pm

Xaykev wrote:
memphisound wrote:Just want to try this a quick question
anyone here pefer the elvis of 1977 over the ELvis of 1957?

What an arrogant, ignorant question. To follow up that one: that means you only talk about Elvis's best year - the rest can not be talk about in a positive way.

What if you have a relative that is dealing with major issues, like alcoholism, sickness, drugs or whatever. Do you always talk about the bad things? Or maybe you some days want to talk about the good things regarding that person? This topic is for something like that. We want to talk about the good things that happened in '77. If we (or you) want the bad stuff just check the other topics - there are plenty of them.

I totally agree with what you say here. Sadly i think you are fighting a losing battle.There are people determined to ruin this thread.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:39 pm

I would be interested to know what, according to you, is the best version of Heartbreak hotel from 1977. I have heard it was done in the key of E (like in the record) in 1977 - instead of the usual D (i think it was ) for most of the 70s.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:48 pm

Fabbe wrote:I would be interested to know what, according to you, is the best version of Heartbreak hotel from 1977. I have heard it was done in the key of E (like in the record) in 1977 - instead of the usual D (i think it was ) for most of the 70s.

This one in my opinion
phpBB [video]

Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:13 pm

Cool! Thanks Johnny2523, it sounds good!

Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:35 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:This one in my opinion
phpBB [video]

That certainly was a good version! Thanks, Johnny :)

Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:41 pm

I've lost track. What was this topic about again?