Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Fav GI Tune ?

Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:48 am

I've always enjoyed the playful lyrics of "What's She Really Like"... a fun tune.

My favorite from G.I. Blues is probably "Frankfurt Special".

Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:09 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Incidentally, many biographies address Presley's disenchantment with the "G.I. Blues" soundtrack.

Here's one example. Elvis hated half of the songs, and wanted them removed:

99000_Careless Love p70.jpg
Peter Guralnick, Careless Love: The Unmaking of Elvis Presley (New York: Little, Brown, 1999)

So there's nothing written there or anywhere else to suggest that Presley was forced to do the remakes by the powers that be. Thanks for confirming.

Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:13 pm

poormadpeter wrote:So there's nothing written there or anywhere else to suggest that Presley was forced to do the remakes by the powers that be. Thanks for confirming.

Do your homework. I answer more than enough of your questions. Ray Connolly anyone?

Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:23 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:So there's nothing written there or anywhere else to suggest that Presley was forced to do the remakes by the powers that be. Thanks for confirming.

Do your homework. I answer more than enough of your questions. Ray Connolly anyone?

I've done my homework, you made yours up quickly on the bus to school and hoped no-one would notice.

Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:31 pm

Frankfort Special - great vibes

Doin' the Best I Can - fantastic vocal and backing

Shoppin' Around - fun 'rock' song

Blue Suede Shoes - not a patch on the '56 version, but still has a good groove

Tonight is So Right for Love - again, a great vocal.

Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:53 pm

Pocket Full Of Rainbows (Alternate Take) closely followed by G.I Blues

Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:25 am

G.I. Blues take 5 is probably my favourite, but I do like What She really Like aswell.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:42 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

I've done my homework, you made yours up quickly on the bus to school and hoped no-one would notice.

You're sad.

Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:57 pm

Either Doin The Best or Shoppin Around

Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:21 am

I agree with Dr. John on everything but Blue Suede Shoes. The remake is kind of cool. It's not a matter of it being as good as 1956 (which it clearly wasn't) but the acoustic feel is different enough for me to enjoy it for what it is. Glad he didn't make a habit of remaking his songs though. The original LP is OK next to many of the film LP's and EP's to follow, but it and Blue Hawaii should have been his worst.
Last edited by Mike Eder on Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:27 pm

I listened to the GI Blues FTD last night for the first time, and it was the first time I'd ever heard the fast version of 'Frankfurt Special'. Holy hell! That's some seriously fast playing going on in that track.

It reminds me of when I was a kid, taking my dads 33s or 45s and playing them at 78rpm. Even I was out of breath after listening to the out-takes...

As for my favourite track from GI Blues? Probably 'Pocketful Of Rainbows'.

Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:58 pm

Like the time i first heard the alternates for Tonights all right for love , i kinda loved the different tempo and beat, ita a much better soundtrack than its given credit for, plus his ELVIS IS BACK voice helped .......

Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:06 pm

dennyelvis wrote:Like the time i first heard the alternates for Tonights all right for love , i kinda loved the different tempo and beat, ita a much better soundtrack than its given credit for, plus his ELVIS IS BACK voice helped .......

Bigtime, and in fact last night I noticed that one of the outtakes (possibly Shoppin' Around') had a very similar ending to 'Such A Night'..

Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:06 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:
Good Time Charlie wrote:Doin' the Best I Can, with Shoppin' Around a close 2nd.

:smt023

:smt023

Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:09 pm

Shoppin Around is my favorite on the album

Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:14 pm

For me, it's a tie between "Shoppin' Around", "Frankfort Special" and "Doin' The Best I Can"

Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:42 pm

for a change and i say this coz i listened to this track from gi blues the most
The re-recording of Blue Suede Shoes

Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:25 am

splanky wrote:I have always had a soft spot for the elongated version of Tonight's All Right For Love which was
featured on the German pressing of the 1960 release of G. I. Blues.

I think I have complained a lot about the use of the American master which lasts only 1;20 min.

I hope it will be found on G.I. Blues ,vol.2 on FTD. Surely, they will use the stereo version. So
who will feel the responsibility of releasing the MONO version ?

Hey splanky, can you confirm that the extended version was also featured on the original german 1960 stereo issue (in STEREO)? Thanks in advance.

Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:30 am

"Frankfort Special," "G.I. Blues," "Tonight Is So Right For Love" and "Pocketful Of Rainbows".

Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:55 am

So many people here like Shoppin Around and I did as a kid, but now when I hear it, I hear a great attempt at a phony rock song. Shoppin Around is very weak 'rock' material. Best songs are the ballads and F Special. I am also kind of partial to GI Blues. Blue Suede Shoes is so far removed from the original that it always made me wonder, did Elvis really change that much? The drive is all but gone and its sad wen I re-read the article that Doc posted when Elvis says to Priscilla, 'What can I do, I'm locked into this thing'. It seems he matured in many ways except the one most important to an entertainer. Standing up for his craft. Welcome to the next 8 years. But of all the 60's soundtrack LPs, I still think this one is the best for his voice alone (until they made Viva Las Vegas a legit album)

Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:32 am

The title track, for me, is the best: "GI Blues".

Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:13 am

For me, Soldier Boy from "Elvis is back!" ;)

Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:16 am

Doin' The Best I Can
Shoppin' Around (both versions)
Pocketful Of Rainbows

Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:17 am

I'd rate the soundtrack like this:

1. Doin' The Best I Can
2. Frankfort Special
3. Shoppin' Around
4. Tonight's All Right For Love (I listened to that darn thing so many times in the past few days and still do not grow tired of it!)
5. G.I. Blues
6. Pocketful Of Rainbows
7. What's She Really Like
8. Tonight Is So Right For Love
9. Blue Suede Shoes (Version 2)
10. Wooden Heart
11. Big Boots
12. Didja' Ever
Last edited by luckyjackson1 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:52 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:I'd rate the soundtrack like this:

1. Doin' The Best I Can
2. Frankfort Special
3. Shoppin' Around
4. Tonight's All Right For Love (I listened to that darn thing so many times in the past few days and still do not grow tired of it!)
5. G.I. Blues
6. Pocketful Of Rainbows
7. What's She Really Like
8. Tonight Is So Right For Love
9. Blue Suede Shoes (Version 2)
10. Wooden Heart
11. Big Boobs
12. Didja' Ever

I would have placed that one in the first place... :wink: