More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Fav GI Tune ?

Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:36 pm

JimmyCool wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:I'd rate the soundtrack like this:

1. Doin' The Best I Can
2. Frankfort Special
3. Shoppin' Around
4. Tonight's All Right For Love (I listened to that darn thing so many times in the past few days and still do not grow tired of it!)
5. G.I. Blues
6. Pocketful Of Rainbows
7. What's She Really Like
8. Tonight Is So Right For Love
9. Blue Suede Shoes (Version 2)
10. Wooden Heart
11. Big Boobs
12. Didja' Ever

I would have placed that one in the first place... :wink:

Oops... :oops:

Jimmy, I guess I read your signature before posting.

Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:05 pm

Doin' The Best I Can
Tonight Is So Right For Love
Pocketful Of Rainbows
Shoppin' Around
What's She Really Like

Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:49 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Complete balderdash. The Doc's opinion is only valid if one takes the viewpoint that Presley should only record rock n roll flavoured material.

No one is taking issue with anything other than the fact that the material was very weak overall, and any fire Presley and the musicians breathed into what they were given was shelved and remade.

Recording crap is neither a way to "grow up musically" nor does it serve to make one a "more rounded entertainer."

Neatly sidestepping the additional fact (stated above) that Elvis himself was disturbed by what he had to work with underscores your unwillingness to accept or understand what was going on in 1960. The template for artistic disaster was set with the G.I. Blues soundtrack and film.

You are suggesting that only 4 of the 12 tracks recorded were "enjoyable". This is complete rubbish to most people. There is nothing remotely wrong with the film. While it's not a masterpiece, it clearly did what it was meant to do - show another side of the actor starring in it. The film was not a template for artistic disaster, the endless repetition of the formula was the cause of that.

If you like mediocre songs and the G.I.Blues film in general, that's fair enough. But that's not what the Doc's saying. The songs, apart from the ones the Doc has mentioned, are, for the most part, mediocre. The fact that Elvis himself complained about the material, is saying something, do you understand that, poormadpeter? Elvis still gave the mediocre songs 110%, but that doesn't mean he liked them, because he didn't, he damn well said so himself.