Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Fav GI Tune ?

Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:59 pm

With the new FTD out it prompted me to rethink my favourite song from the album, it always was FRANKFORT SP, but now im liking SHOPPIN a bit more, i guess its closer to his 50s sound, the new cd changed ur fav platter ?

Re: Fav GI Tune ?

Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:03 pm

Mine has always been "Frankfort Special".
Last edited by JimmyCool on Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:05 pm

JimmyCool wrote:Mine has always been "Frankort Special".

+ 1

Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:07 pm

Both are great catchy tunes ... don't prefer one above the other, always had a weak spot for this soundtrack, one of my first albums ...

Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:44 pm

Shoppin around

Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:48 pm

Doin' the Best I Can, with Shoppin' Around a close 2nd.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:13 am

"Frankfort Special" is great while watching the film.......love Elvis`attitude during the song, :smt007 , but listening to the album, my favorite is Shoppin` around......great tune.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:22 am

Good Time Charlie wrote:Doin' the Best I Can, with Shoppin' Around a close 2nd.

:smt023

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:29 am

I am not a big fan of the soundtrack but I've always liked Doin' The Best I Can.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:35 am

Dog Face
Jerry Leiber, Mike Stoller

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:40 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Dog Face

I think you will find due to various reasons Elvis didn't end up recording the song for the soundtrack.

Sorry to dissapoint, but you are going to have to choose another song!

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:50 am

I love Elvis' voice on "Tonight's So Right For Love." Das ist ooze!

Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:08 am

I have always had a soft spot for the elongated version of Tonight's All Right For Love which was
featured on the German pressing of the 1960 release of G. I. Blues.

I think I have complained a lot about the use of the American master which lasts only 1;20 min.

I hope it will be found on G.I. Blues ,vol.2 on FTD. Surely, they will use the stereo version. So
who will feel the responsibility of releasing the MONO version ?

Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:21 am

Don`t know what you are talking about :? .......but, can you please post a link to the song?

Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:24 am

I like Frankfort Special,Shoppin' Around and Gi Blues but my favourite is guitly pleasure time.
Come on sing along you know you love it.......

Altogether now

Didja ever get one of them days boys
Didja ever get one of them days
When nothing goes right from morning to night
Didja ever get one of them days

Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:54 am

Doin' The Best I Can.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:00 am

JerryNodak wrote:Doin' The Best I Can.

Agreed. It's magical.

Steve Morse

Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:02 am

elvisa wrote:

Don`t know what you are talking about :? .......but, can you please post a link to the song?

See:
'Dogface'
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39742

Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:39 am

splanky wrote:I have always had a soft spot for the elongated version of Tonight's All Right For Love which was
featured on the German pressing of the 1960 release of G. I. Blues.

I think I have complained a lot about the use of the American master which lasts only 1;20 min.

I hope it will be found on G.I. Blues ,vol.2 on FTD. Surely, they will use the stereo version. So
who will feel the responsibility of releasing the MONO version ?

Somebody (maybe you) said that on another GI Blues thread. I always considered the elongated "Tonight's All Right" to be a very sloppy, abrupt, jarring edit, artificially lengthening the song. The short version is what Elvis laid down in the studio and if they needed to lengthen it, I'm surprised they made such a mess of it.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:10 am

stevelecher wrote:I always considered the elongated "Tonight's All Right" to be a very sloppy, abrupt, jarring edit, artificially lengthening the song. The short version is what Elvis laid down in the studio and if they needed to lengthen it, I'm surprised they made such a mess of it.

That's why I don't like the extended version of "Blue River" either.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:01 am

G.I. Blues is a turning point LP. It was certainly his worst full soundtrack since he signed to RCA, and privately he complained about the material. Its biggest sin is how wimpy it can be, depending on which song you hear. Elvis Presley should never have been cutting tracks with accordion accompaniment. The remake of "Blue Suede Shoes" is so far beneath the 1956 master it's a sin. No wonder they did one take and one take only of Carl's classic number. One of the only saving graces of these sessions is how glorious Elvis' voice is on each and every recording.

It is further significant that the powers that be (Paramount, RCA, management) found the April session at RCA Hollywood produced some masters that were too "rough," scheduling another date a week later at Radio Recorders where the arrangements were muted and performances generally emasculated.

Of the tracks officially issued in 1960, these are enjoyable or better:

G. I. Blues
Pocketful Of Rainbows
Shoppin' Around
Doin' The Best I Can

Of those outtakes we first heard back in the '70s and '80s, these are wonderful:

4-27-1960
Shoppin' Around (takes 3, 5) - Elvis Aron Presley (1980)
Doin' the Best I Can (take 9) - Elvis: The EP Collection Volume 2 (1982)
Frankfort Special (take 13) - Elvis: A Legendary Performer Volume 3 (1978)

4-28-1960
What's She Really Like? (take 7) - Elvis: The EP Collection Volume 2 (1982)
Pocketful Of Rainbows (take 2) - Elvis: The EP Collection Volume 2 (1982)
Wooden Heart (takes 2-3) - Elvis: A Legendary Performer Volume 4 (1983)

And, of course, on the new FTD all of the above sound absolutely superb!

Don't miss this one.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:30 am

I have mine ordered... along with the new SUN book, On Stage FTD and the From Hawaii to Vegas FTD... sadly I won't see them until the end of August :(

Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:35 am

Complete balderdash. The Doc's opinion is only valid if one takes the viewpoint that Presley should only record rock n roll flavoured material. With someone as versatile as Presley, that was never going to be the case. During the 1950s, rock n roll was predominantly a teenaged market. As Presley grew older, it was inevitable that he would grow up musically, along with his fanbase. There is nothing remotely embarassing about G I Blues, either as a film or a soundtrack. While it never hit the dizzy heights musically of Jailhouse Rock or King Creole, for example, that type of music did not fit within this type of film anyway. G I Blues, the appearance on the Sinatra show, and the His Hand in Mine album all paved the way for Presley to become a more rounded entertainer. That this eventually led to poor business decisions and repetitive films is unfortunate, but in 1960 it made for good business. And Presley was free at this point to explore the musical directions he was interested in within his non-soundtrack recordings.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:43 am

poormadpeter wrote:Complete balderdash. The Doc's opinion is only valid if one takes the viewpoint that Presley should only record rock n roll flavoured material.

No one is taking issue with anything other than the fact that the material was very weak overall, and any fire Presley and the musicians breathed into what they were given was shelved and remade.

Recording crap is neither a way to "grow up musically" nor does it serve to make one a "more rounded entertainer."

Neatly sidestepping the additional fact (stated above) that Elvis himself was disturbed by what he had to work with underscores your unwillingness to accept or understand what was going on in 1960. The template for artistic disaster was set with the G.I. Blues soundtrack and film.

Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:48 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Complete balderdash. The Doc's opinion is only valid if one takes the viewpoint that Presley should only record rock n roll flavoured material.

No one is taking issue with anything other than the fact that the material was very weak overall, and any fire Presley and the musicians breathed into what they were given was shelved and remade.

Recording crap is neither a way to "grow up musically" nor does it serve to make one a "more rounded entertainer."

Neatly sidestepping the additional fact (stated above) that Elvis himself was disturbed by what he had to work with underscores your unwillingness to accept or understand what was going on in 1960. The template for artistic disaster was set with the G.I. Blues soundtrack and film.

You are suggesting that only 4 of the 12 tracks recorded were "enjoyable". This is complete rubbish to most people. There is nothing remotely wrong with the film. While it's not a masterpiece, it clearly did what it was meant to do - show another side of the actor starring in it. The film was not a template for artistic disaster, the endless repetition of the formula was the cause of that.