Reconsider Baby live => Where's the Sax?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Elvis Fan
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Reconsider Baby live => Where's the Sax?

Post by Elvis Fan »

I always enjoyed Elvis' performance of this song in concert. Vegas in '69. MSG in '72. Just a pity that someone in the Joe Guercio Orchestra didn't wail on the Saxaphone like the studio recording...may not have had the same feel as Boots' version but still would have complemented the song well in concert...

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Re: Reconsider Baby live => Where's the Sax?

Post by minkahed »

Elvis couldn't afford to pay the sax player.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

Tony..
Registered for: 12 years 3 months

Post by Tony.. »

I like James' guitar work on the live versions. For me the Pittsburgh New years' eve version is the best.

Blue River
Banned
Banned

Post by Blue River »

Elvis Fan wrote:I always enjoyed Elvis' performance of this song in concert. Vegas in '69. MSG in '72. Just a pity that someone in the Joe Guercio Orchestra didn't wail on the Saxaphone like the studio recording...may not have had the same feel as Boots' version but still would have complemented the song well in concert...
Good observation, Elvis Fan... I agree (even though Bobby Morris Orchestra in '69)

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Elvis Fan wrote:I always enjoyed Elvis' performance of this song in concert. Vegas in '69. MSG in '72. Just a pity that someone in the Joe Guercio Orchestra didn't wail on the Saxaphone like the studio recording...may not have had the same feel as Boots' version but still would have complemented the song well in concert...
In his mature period Elvis eschewed his early '60s sound. Also, the sound of the sax in rock 'n' roll had kind of taken a backseat to more modern guitar stylings. It had become a cliché.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
Elvis Fan

Post by Elvis Fan »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
In his mature period Elvis eschewed his early '60s sound. Also, the sound of the sax in rock 'n' roll had kind of taken a backseat to more modern guitar stylings. It had become a cliché.

Well, thank God Springsteen and Seger didn't follow that logic...

drjohncarpenter

Elvis Fan wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

In the mid-'70s, they helped to change that perception.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

brian
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Post by brian »

Why bother to hire a saxophonist when most of your songs don't require one.

Elvis must have performed Reconsider baby around ten times from 1969 and 1977 so the saxophone player wouldn't even be required beyond that.

The other recordings of Elvis to feature a sax were performed even less than Reconsider baby was.

You'd be paying another musician a salary for nothing.

memphisound
Banned - Previously Banned Member Who Returned.
Banned - Previously Banned Member Who Returned.
Registered for: 12 years 1 month

Post by memphisound »

brian wrote: Elvis must have performed Reconsider baby around ten times from 1969 and 1977 so the saxophone player wouldn't even be required beyond that.
9 times actually.

PREVIOUSLY BANNED MEMBER "BRADM".

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

In the MSG version Elvis at least ta ta taded or hummed the sax part. So,obviously he liked it but was not about (at the time) to rework the newer arrangements. "I don't have time to fool with it" type thing had already set in.

drjohncarpenter

brian wrote:Why bother to hire a saxophonist when most of your songs don't require one.
Maybe for the same reason he toured with an orchestra when most of his songs didn't require one.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Jonathan Blake
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Jonathan Blake »

The Joe Guercio Orchestra had at least one saxophone player at various tours and Vegas seasons.

At one point, the great James Moody played saxophone in the orchestra.
Beside being a jazz star in his own right, he played with jazz giants like Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Mingus & Elvin Jones

GregCieslik

Post by GregCieslik »

Wasn't sax used on the Mystery Train live versions?

Greg

minkahed

Post by minkahed »

Juan Luis wrote:In the MSG version Elvis at least ta ta taded or hummed the sax part. So,obviously he liked it but was not about (at the time) to rework the newer arrangements. "I don't have time to fool with it" type thing had already set in.
IIRC, Elvis "ta ta taded" the guitar lick, not the sax.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

Blue River
Banned
Banned

Post by Blue River »

GregCieslik wrote:Wasn't sax used on the Mystery Train live versions?
Trombone maybe.

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

Topic author
Elvis Fan

Post by Elvis Fan »

memphisound wrote:
brian wrote: Elvis must have performed Reconsider baby around ten times from 1969 and 1977 so the saxophone player wouldn't even be required beyond that.
9 times actually.
Wow! Only 9 times? Well, he should have done it more. Ha. I'd bet money that there were members of the orchestra who could play a handful of instruments each. A sax part in Steamroller Blues would have been sweet, too. I really wonder how often members of the orchestra and TCB were challenged in concert post 1972...

Jim Dandy
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by Jim Dandy »

What sounds to me like a sax is heard in the chorus of Proud Mary, particularly in the 10 June afternoon show.

I'm the man downstairs with the long bushy hair!

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

I would suggest that the sax in Presley's studio recording had become cliched as early as around 1963. It reminds me a bit of when Roy Eldridge (trumpet) toured with the Ella Fitzgerald trio in 1963/64. Like Boots, he was a great talent, but there seemed to be an effort to shoehorn that talent into as many numbers as possible and was thus over-used. Both Boots and Roy were surplus to requirements.

REBL
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by REBL »

Elvis was married.............. You ought to know :::::: Ain't no sax after marriage.

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

Elvis Fan wrote:
memphisound wrote:
9 times actually.
Wow! Only 9 times? Well, he should have done it more. Ha. I'd bet money that there were members of the orchestra who could play a handful of instruments each. A sax part in Steamroller Blues would have been sweet, too. I really wonder how often members of the orchestra and TCB were challenged in concert post 1972...
And of those 9 times, we are lucky 2 were captured in multi-track tape and a few more soundboards.

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher

Blue River
Banned
Banned

Post by Blue River »

REBL wrote:Elvis was married.............. You ought to know :::::: Ain't no sax after marriage.
:smt023

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

minkahed wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:In the MSG version Elvis at least ta ta taded or hummed the sax part. So,obviously he liked it but was not about (at the time) to rework the newer arrangements. "I don't have time to fool with it" type thing had already set in.
IIRC, Elvis "ta ta taded" the guitar lick, not the sax.
A belated You're right! ::rocks

Dottore
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by Dottore »

This seems to me another indication of the malaise that Elvis had slipped into - the refusal to see and seize opportunities to stretch himself, the show and the audience. Reconsider Baby was always a welcome inclusion to the setlist even if the band was under-rehearsed and the performance perfunctory as a result. Apparently Elvis toyed with changing up the setlist for MSG, and the inclusion of RB in one show was about as close as he went. But imagine if he had called Boots in for the gig, rehearsed the band to the nth degree, and pulled out all the stops. Then there would have been something to remember - a real treat for deep and casual fans alike. Instead it was business as usual and the recorded concert made do with The Impossible Dream instead. Now that's a cliché!

And I don't accept that the sax being clichéd by the early 70s - surely no more so than the standard instruments in any rock outfit. And we all know that as originally performed RB did away entirely with matters of cliché, pastiche or formula - blowing that hard and focused is always in style, and for the song a whole lot more appropriate than another routine James Burton solo. Again, that was a genuine, dead-set cliché by '72!

Dottore

davide
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by davide »

Memphis - February 25, 1961.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Elvis-Presley-Memphis-To-Nashville-61-FTD-Book/1442950255969208?ref=bookmarks
A rare image from the FTD book Memphis To Nashville '61.

With thanks
David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

r&b

Post by r&b »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Elvis Fan wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

In the mid-'70s, they helped to change that perception.
Also, The Stones used the sax a bit in their early 70's recordings with Bobby Keys