Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

When non-Americans think of the USA, they first think of...

Coca Cola
20%
Route 66 & Harley Davidson
5%
Walt Disney and Disney World
No votes
Movie Icons: Marilyn Monroe, James Dean, John Wayne
5%
Star Spangled Banner - Stars and Stripes
20%
The White House - the President
10%
Blues and Jazz
No votes
Cowboys and Indians
15%
Vietnam - War Movies
No votes
Other
25%

Total votes : 20

When non-Americans think of the USA, they first think of...

Thu May 08, 2003 2:45 am

The USA always meant a lot to me as an European. I'm not a follower of everything that ever happened there or is now happening in this great country, but I'm not over-critical or anti-American either.

Meaning I take it for what it is: an incredible melting pot of different cultures and amazing phenomena's. America has lead the world in different ways and down different roads the past century, wether the rest of the world liked it or not. It sure the hell influenced my childhood and adolescence a lot.

I'm especially grateful for the incredible music and movies that has come out of the States, especially after WOII.

For Americans it would be interesting to know how non-Americans view them, what first comes to mind when thinking about...America. It means so many things to so many people all over the world.

Excluding Elvis Presley since this is a too obvious choice...

Thu May 08, 2003 2:50 am

Of course, "rock 'n roll" should have been added to blues and jazz, so if you vote for this option it is understood R&R is up there too... :wink:

Re: When non-Americans think of the USA, they first think of

Thu May 08, 2003 2:57 am

James27 wrote:Excluding Elvis Presley since this is a too obvious choice...

I hate to sound mean (or like a bitter old man or something), but considering you gave the above statement, how does this topic fit in the "All Elvis" section? I wouldn't "hassle" you (or other people) like this, but there is only one moderator here, and they're not always on. I'm just saying it because it makes sense to put this in the "Off Topic" section. After all, if everyone followed the rules like that, this MB would stay as easy to read as it is now. Just a word of advice, please don't get upset. :D

That having been said, it's a good question, and I'll have to think about it a little more before I put up my official reply. I am, however, a European living in the US, so I don't know how that has affected my views.

Thu May 08, 2003 3:07 am

I've thought about it Peter, and in fact: you're right. This is better suited for the "Off Topic" section. I'm sorry I didn't realize sooner. I was so concentrated on the content I made the mistake of putting it in the wrong section. :cry:

I won't get upset if the moderator decides to remove it. If he doesn't, everyone can still vote on it, without too many written replies, so it can slip into oblivion pretty soon... :wink:

Meanwhile...

Thu May 08, 2003 3:13 am

Place a vote Pete and enjoy yourself :lol:

Thu May 08, 2003 3:14 am

I'm so relieved you didn't take it the wrong way! The reason I said what I said is that it serves as a lesson to everyone else. I don't mind this topic being here, but if people don't become aware of the Off Topic forum, this great new MB will slowly turn into the old one. Topics like "Hey James27 where are you" appearing more often than topics actually related to Elvis. And that would be a shame.

I believe FECC can just move this topic to the Off Topic section, so you should be fine. They shouldn't delete it because it can still become an interesting thread.

Thu May 08, 2003 12:35 pm

Well, I voted 'other' !

This being the Statue of Liberty.

The mental picture of which always comes to mind whenever I hear 'US', 'USA', 'The States' or 'America' !

Colin B

Put me down for "other", as well.

Thu May 08, 2003 1:40 pm

The land of the FREE .

Freedom - that's what it is all about.

LET FREEDOM RING!

N8
...just a fan....
Last edited by N880EP on Thu May 08, 2003 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 08, 2003 2:25 pm

Of course space to add more important options was limited to only ten, so you're welcome to add your own choice.

Thu May 08, 2003 4:02 pm

Freedom!! Liberty and justice for all.

Tom

Thu May 08, 2003 4:10 pm

NEW JERSEY DEVILS

AND THE

NEW YORK YANKEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Thu May 08, 2003 4:20 pm

Are you kidding me??? A Canadian cheering for a New Jersey hockey team. Are you looking to get deported?? Don't get me wrong, we'd happily accept you. God knows the Devils could use the fans. :lol:

Tom (Hurricanes season ticket holder :oops: )

Thu May 08, 2003 4:28 pm

When I think of the USA, I always have the feeling "Damn! Why wasn't I born in The States!?". I really wish I could live in the USA, so I always get a pleasant feeling when I hear about the US :D

Thu May 08, 2003 5:07 pm

Hey Tom,

I'm actually a LEAF fan but the DEVILS are number two in line (but number one in the U.S.)!!!

USA

Thu May 08, 2003 5:35 pm

I am a lifelong US citizen and resident. From listening to the news lately, I thought the whole world hated the USA. From the postings, that seems not to be the case. Is it possible the we don't always get the whole story from CNN et al?

Greg

Thu May 08, 2003 6:20 pm

I have been to the U.S. many times.
Without getting political, I realize how important the U.S. is as our ally.
I wish we would start using the American dollar up here. The bills are smaller, they're all one colour and your $1 is paper - ours are those stupid "loonie" coins.

Thu May 08, 2003 6:32 pm

I didn't realize that you guys don't have a paper dollar bill. Of course, we have always had silver dollars, but have tried on a couple of occasions to try smaller gold colored dollar coins (one commemorating Susan B. Anthony & one honoring the Sasquatch :lol: Indians) and both have failed to gain popularity. So, you guys must be doing something right up there, eh. :D

Tom

Thu May 08, 2003 6:50 pm

Greg -

I think I speak for many when I say that America is not hated !

It is the Bush administration which is unpopular around the world, not America or its people.

Colin B

Thu May 08, 2003 7:49 pm

Colin B is dead right.

Those who profess hate of the USA are probably jealous.

My country is an ex-British colony and while still having Liz 2 as head of state we are far more orientated toward our Pacific northern neigbour (USA).

USA culture does saturate and enjoyed by much of the world.

However the USA has by know means a monopoly on FREEDOM.

It is Governmental policies that can rankle non-Americans - right now - for whatever reason the Bush administration is out of step with most of the world.

But that should not be seen as blind hate.

USA = Freedom

Fri May 09, 2003 2:09 am

KiwiAlan wrote:Those who profess hate of the USA are probably jealous.

USA culture does saturate and enjoyed by much of the world.

However the USA has by know means a monopoly on FREEDOM.

On the first two points quoted above, I agree.

On the third point, I don't agree; "Freedom" certainly is a universal right of mankind, but the USA is also the biggest symbol and protector of "Freedom" the world has. It may not be an enviable role (in times of crisis), but it surely is a necessary one. It is also one that the US proudly defends. Americans also pay a price for that role (lost lives, defense spending, etc.).

Now, back to Elvis for me..........

N8
...just a fan....

I'M AMAZED (again)

Fri May 09, 2003 2:23 am

It's very difficult to read the "facts"!
How come Elvis was so big, and most americans hardly mention him!
Then, watch any move today, and there are so many links to Elvis, through music or by just mentioning him, one should think;: "DO YOU THINK YOU'RE JESUS OR SOMETHING"?
Bly me....