Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: 1968 - 1973...........Elvis' ever-changing look.........

Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:29 pm

eligain wrote:
A. C. van Kuijk wrote:
Marko wrote:Re Elvis look in Elvis On Tour.

Elvis did not look healthy, even when they changed the lights after the Hampton Roads concert. His face looked bloated and you can see that something is wrong.

Sorry I don't see it. When EOT came out, no one said that ever.

When EOT came out, no one said he looked unhealthy, that is true, but it was obvious there was a big change from TTWII just 2 years prior.

Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:46 pm

I just saw Elvis on Tour again. all the performances are really good. Great stuff. But if you compare how he looked in TTWII in August 1970 to April 1972 there is a difference. I guess thats what a couple hundred shows, your wife and daughter leaving, etc. will do to you. There is a sadness to him in the movie.

A nice tan would have helped too.

Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:01 am

elvisbot wrote: [cut]
I'd be interested in hearing other fans opinions on what affected such drastic changes in appearence and attitude during this period in Elvis' career.

I think you are making a big fuzz about nothing. To be honest everybody his looks changes because that is part of life.
It all has to do with how you live your life. That influences how you look during later years and Elvis was no exception.

Do you think that when he returned to live performances in 1969, Elvis might have believed that it was going to be a short term
commitment to live shows or do you think he knew that he was in it for the long haul?

How should any of us know. Nobody inhere can think for Elvis,cause none of us is Elvis.
Elvis was a performer and not Auguste Rodin... :|

Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:29 am

InheritTheWind wrote:
promiseland wrote:1968 - 1973...........Elvis' ever-changing look.............

.........It's called Aging!!

Members should take a look at a picture of themselves taken in 2008. I'll bet no one has changed as much as Elvis did during a similar 5 year period (1968-1973).

Drastically changing styles from the 1960s to the 1970s certainly didn't help Elvis' appearance. The helmet head of hair that Elvis preferred didn't exactly help reduce the puffiness in his face. Comparing a picture of Elvis from June 1968 to one from June 1973 is pretty heartbreaking.

Precisely. I guess life can mess you up pretty good, but if you're relatively young (and Elvis actually was only in his 30s, so he was young), you snap back. Or, that happened to me since 2008.

It was a dreadful year in many ways for me, and it was obvious. I look much better now than then. And, I'm not Elvis's age.

Five years in one's 30s should be very difficult to notice, unless something is wrong. (Or, you gave birth 3 times . . . I mean, that can happen to women - even younger.)

Look at Brad Pitt, George Clooney . . . all quite older than Elvis ever would be.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:10 am

rjm wrote:
InheritTheWind wrote:

Members should take a look at a picture of themselves taken in 2008. I'll bet no one has changed as much as Elvis did during a similar 5 year period (1968-1973).

Drastically changing styles from the 1960s to the 1970s certainly didn't help Elvis' appearance. The helmet head of hair that Elvis preferred didn't exactly help reduce the puffiness in his face. Comparing a picture of Elvis from June 1968 to one from June 1973 is pretty heartbreaking.

Precisely. I guess life can mess you up pretty good, but if you're relatively young (and Elvis actually was only in his 30s, so he was young), you snap back. Or, that happened to me since 2008.

It was a dreadful year in many ways for me, and it was obvious. I look much better now than then. And, I'm not Elvis's age.

Five years in one's 30s should be very difficult to notice, unless something is wrong. (Or, you gave birth 3 times . . . I mean, that can happen to women - even younger.)

Look at Brad Pitt, George Clooney . . . all quite older than Elvis ever would be.

rjm

Elvis in 68 and 69 was artificial and wasn't going to last. He was extremely underweight. He never looked that skinny and gaunt before or since except for maybe when he was 19. I think he looks good in the right 73 picture. Comparing him to Brad Pitt and George Clooney is not fair. They have small plastic surgery touch ups to keep them looking the same. BTW, I don't think Clooney has aged well at all. He's 2 years younger than me but looks older than me.. Everybody ages different some of my Dad's friends looked the same for years then all of a sudden they aged over night. Others got old looking in their 30's but then never changed into their 70's. Elvis's parents looked older than they were in their 40's and beyond.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:24 am

eligain wrote:
rjm wrote:
InheritTheWind wrote:

rjm

Elvis in 68 and 69 was artificial and wasn't going to last. He was extremely underweight. He never looked that skinny and gaunt before or since except for maybe when he was 19. I think he looks good in the right 73 picture. Comparing him to Brad Pitt and George Clooney is not fair. They have small plastic surgery touch ups to keep them looking the same. BTW, I don't think Clooney has aged well at all. He's 2 years younger than me but looks older than me.. Everybody ages different some of my Dad's friends looked the same for years then all of a sudden they aged over night. Others got old looking in their 30's but then never changed into their 70's. Elvis's parents looked older than they were in their 40's and beyond.

Elvis always looked his best at around 165 pounds and to me when at that weight, always looked phenomenal. This would certainly include 1968, 69. That being said, I think it's unfair to compare a 40 year or 50 year old man from 40 years ago as opposed to now. Physically, older people are in much better shape now then in years past, do to various reasons.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:54 am

elvisbot wrote:Back during the 1968 comeback special, everyone knows that Elvis looked fantastic and was in great physical shape. Thin, healthy looking bright and vibrant appearance and overall "happy to be back in front of a live audience" attitude. Did anyone ever notice that during the next five years, his appearance changed dramatically as well as his attitude? Elvis had a totally different look during "That's the Way It Is" and "Elvis On Tour" filmings with longer hair and sideburns and different wardrobe and seemingly a longer thinner face during TTWII His attitude was a little more relaxed with joking around and "let's have some fun" frame of mind. Then with "Elvis On Tour" filming, a puffy, bags under the eyes worn-out and exhausted appearence with the attitude being boredom and "let's get this show over with" then back to great shape for the Aloha tapings in January 1973.
So, what is my point in saying all this?
I'd be interested in hearing other fans opinions on what affected such drastic changes in appearence and attitude during this period in Elvis' career.
Do you think that when he returned to live performances in 1969, Elvis might have believed that it was going to be a short term commitment to live shows or do you think he knew that he was in it for the long haul?

Lots of things, that would affect everyone:

Marriage breakdown
Court cases
Being ripped off, monetary wise
Being accused of things that aren't true
Worried about health of loved ones
Personal life about to be written about
Feeling isolated
Stress because of the above
Tiredness due to being sick and probably depression because of the above

Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:03 am

Jaime1234 wrote:It's night and day, there's absolutely a world of difference between Presley in August 1969 and what followed. Six months can make a difference, OK, but not like they did in Presley's case, at age 35/36. After seeing the first three, then look at at bhe fourth picture, taken on January 17, 1970,

It's not just that the tan is gone, but the chiseled, but healthy features are gone too.

To replicate this Presley, at this exact point of his life (in the summer of 1969), is what I would call, is today's terms, a hologram artist's worst nightmare.

1 August 1969, press conference, at age 35 http://www.myelvisworld.com/file/pic/gallery/5035.jpg

1 August 1969 cocktail, at age 35 http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Elvis-Presley-Go ... ~60_35.JPG

3 August 1969, on stage, at age 35 http://www.elvisinfonet.com/image-files ... 969.2x.jpg

17 January 1970, off stage at age 36. http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... /rcabl.jpg

There is an incredible amount of difference and tan or not does not mean anything. The eyes are always a clue as well as posture. It is sad to see this difference. I would also like to see more photos from these eras.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:00 pm

In 5 years, bad sleeping habits, an unhealthy diet, personal woes, more stress from your job, and increased pill taking can change anyone's looks. its not rocket science.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:49 pm

True. In this picture it seems there are two different people.