Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: 1968 - 1973...........Elvis' ever-changing look.........

Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:06 am

I've always liked that picture of Elvis lifting up those shades.

Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:50 pm

DEH wrote:in most of the cases we are mentioning i think the most important reason for a change in appearance is whether he had a tan or not..

Elvis' face looked unhealthy during the production of ELVIS ON TOUR. Just compare photos from this tour with pictures taken in Las Vegas in January. Here the King didn't have a tan either, but looked a lot healthier.

In the summer of 1973 Elvis displayed a nice tan, but it still cannot hide his puffy face. And here, too, you can see that something was wrong besides the fact that he had gained a few pounds.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:45 am

Pete Dube wrote:I've always liked that picture of Elvis lifting up those shades.

me to

Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:34 am

The story of the look of Elvis in his concert years is a duplication of his movie years. As he started he looks fantastic and his work shows inspiration and interest. But with the years he lost his ways. Sad thing and very sad that he becomes so less challenges.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:42 am

jeremylr wrote:I notice a major change in Elvis' appearance after his short November 1970 tour. Then you see the pictures of him in January 1971 at the Jaycees' ceremony [especially the one where he raises his sunglasses to peer into the camera], and you can tell something is definitely wrong with him.

There was nothing definitely wrong with him. He just gained a little weight and was a couple of years older. Elvis's weight was always going up and down. Watch TTWII; during the rehearsals in Hollywood he's a little pudgier but when he arrives in Vegas he's lost that extra weight.

Aside from the paleness that was accentuated by the stage lights, I think he looked great in EOT. His hair looked great too. At the time, I was trying to where my hair like Elvis's. It was the 70's, long hair and mutton chops were in style. If he had been as thin as he was in 69 without the tan, you would be saying he looked gaunt and sick.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:53 pm

Jaime1234 wrote:I don't agree with anyone saying he looked his best in 1970, even less in 1973. The only time he ever looked better than he did in the 1968 special was in July and August of 1969. Hundred of quotes from people who saw his first engagement at the International, talked to him, point to Presley being even more striking to look at, at close range, let alone at a distance, than at any moment in his career, Steve Binder and say, Goldie Hawn saw him in June of 1968, and what they each said can be easily confirmed by a simple search on you tube. But what even more qualified people like Catherine Deveuve have commented on how good Presley looked the day she met him, namely on July 31, 1969, at the cocktail party which followed both the opening show (which she also attended, in the company of Jack Lemmon) and the press conference (which they did not) has to be read in the French version of her autobiography, to be believed. And I quote " I've never seen, before or after, a more strikingly beautiful person". End of quote. She then goes on about her trying, for about 15 minutes, for him to take her to the 30th floor (LOL, Priscilla was there, at a distance of less than a yard, so no way...), and admits and I quote "I tried hard, but after all, there's a limit to what a woman can say and whisper to a man, even if she's French, like I am" End of quote. Something happened to Presley in September or October, His face and eyes changed, and there would never be again someone, or should I say anyone, quite as "fair looking" (that's how Roger Moore puts it, when forced by reporters to acknowledge the effect his own fantastic looks had on his career LOL), as the Elvis Presley of the mid-summer of 1969.

what ?catherine deneuve tried go get elvis into goin upstairs into his or her hotelroom?

Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:26 pm

During that period, this probably gave us the most cause for concern...

phpBB [video]

While not overweight, Elvis is obviously under the influence and his face is bloated... an early look at days to come.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:19 pm

DEH wrote:in most of the cases we are mentioning i think the most important reason for a change in appearance is whether he had a tan or not.lol. if he had tan in On Tour there would not be many complaints. if he had been pale for MSG there would have been complaints. but he was all tanned up.

He was never going to look as good as the 68 special or the 69 opening again because at that time Elvis was hungry to get his career back on top. once it was he started coasting again..

Drugs aside, not getting proper sleep (insane sleeping habits) and a bad diet can change a person in a dramatically short period of time, even a young person in their 30's. And the reverse is true also. He was probably taking care of himself as he approached the Aloha special, so you see another change, this time for the better. Good nutrition, exercise, and rest can do wonders for you and the revers can slowly destroy you.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:59 pm

r&b wrote:
DEH wrote:in most of the cases we are mentioning i think the most important reason for a change in appearance is whether he had a tan or not.lol. if he had tan in On Tour there would not be many complaints. if he had been pale for MSG there would have been complaints. but he was all tanned up.

He was never going to look as good as the 68 special or the 69 opening again because at that time Elvis was hungry to get his career back on top. once it was he started coasting again..

Drugs aside, not getting proper sleep (insane sleeping habits) and a bad diet can change a person in a dramatically short period of time, even a young person in their 30's. And the reverse is true also. He was probably taking care of himself as he approached the Aloha special, so you see another change, this time for the better. Good nutrition, exercise, and rest can do wonders for you and the revers can slowly destroy you.

So true. Our guy did some much better when he was motivated, especially after the movies years.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:14 pm

Elvis had a very poor diet and the drugs he was taking certainly didn't help either. When he wasn't working he easily let himself go and gained weight. When he was younger it was easier to shake off those extra pounds but that got harder as he got older (as it does to everyone else too) plus his drug problem was starting to get worse. It's obvious that during fall of '70 he was already slipping out of control. His September recording session was caught very short and he had very little interest in working. Priscilla hinted to someone at the studio that drugs were part of the problem at the time.

Re Elvis look in Elvis On Tour. Elvis looks very pale and one of the reasons is simply because of the stage lights. A friend of mine who is a professional cameraman took one look at the film and noted that while the band is lit up with warm light, Elvis' spotlight is blue which makes him look ghostly pale. To him it looked very amateurish mistake by the filmmakers. Nobody looks good in that light. However, it's true that he wasn't as tanned as in TTWII but the lights made it look even worse than it was.
Last edited by Marko on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:51 pm

Marko wrote:Elvis had a very poor diet and the drugs he was taking certainly didn't help either. When he wasn't working he easily let himself go and gained weight. When he was younger it was easier to shake off those extra pounds but that got harder as he got older (as it does to everyone else too) plus his drug problem was starting to get worse. It's obvious that during fall of '70 he was already slipping out of control. His September recording session was caught very short and he had very little interest in working. Priscilla hinted to someone at the studio that drugs were part of the problem at the time.

Re Elvis look in Elvis On Tour. Elvis looks very pale and one of the reasons is simply because off the stage lights. A friend of mine who is a professional cameraman took one look at the film and noted that while the band is lit up with warm light, Elvis' spotlight is blue which makes him look ghostly pale. To him it looked very amateurish mistake by the filmmakers. Nobody looks good in that light. However, it's true that he wasn't as tanned as in TTWII but the lights made it look even worse than it was.

I totally agree about the lighting in EOT but I want to respond to the diet. Everyone is always knocking Elvis for his diet and saying he ate such a bad diet. Apart from eating too much, his diet was typical of what southerners ate at time and what most people ate at the time. It was home cooking that included vegetables and salad. I grew up in Colorado in the 60's and 70's and we regularly ate many of the same dishes Elvis ate and so did all my friend's families. According to those around him he didn't eat the peanut butter and banana sandwich that often and really, it's no different than a grilled cheese sandwich except with peanut butter and banana. Everyone acts like Elvis should have been a vegetarian or something. What was bad about his diet was the dieting to lose weight and the crazy fad diets he tried and the diet pills he used. That extreme diet he went on for Aloha was actually the worst thing he could have done for himself. He lost weight too fast and in a too unhealthy way. It is one of the reasons for his failing health after Aloha. Yo yo dieting is one of the worst things you can do to your body.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:11 pm

eligain wrote:
Marko wrote:Elvis had a very poor diet and the drugs he was taking certainly didn't help either. When he wasn't working he easily let himself go and gained weight. When he was younger it was easier to shake off those extra pounds but that got harder as he got older (as it does to everyone else too) plus his drug problem was starting to get worse. It's obvious that during fall of '70 he was already slipping out of control. His September recording session was caught very short and he had very little interest in working. Priscilla hinted to someone at the studio that drugs were part of the problem at the time.

Re Elvis look in Elvis On Tour. Elvis looks very pale and one of the reasons is simply because off the stage lights. A friend of mine who is a professional cameraman took one look at the film and noted that while the band is lit up with warm light, Elvis' spotlight is blue which makes him look ghostly pale. To him it looked very amateurish mistake by the filmmakers. Nobody looks good in that light. However, it's true that he wasn't as tanned as in TTWII but the lights made it look even worse than it was.

I totally agree about the lighting in EOT but I want to respond to the diet. Everyone is always knocking Elvis for his diet and saying he ate such a bad diet. Apart from eating too much, his diet was typical of what southerners ate at time and what most people ate at the time. It was home cooking that included vegetables and salad. I grew up in Colorado in the 60's and 70's and we regularly ate many of the same dishes Elvis ate and so did all my friend's families. According to those around him he didn't eat the peanut butter and banana sandwich that often and really, it's no different than a grilled cheese sandwich except with peanut butter and banana. Everyone acts like Elvis should have been a vegetarian or something. What was bad about his diet was the dieting to lose weight and the crazy fad diets he tried and the diet pills he used. That extreme diet he went on for Aloha was actually the worst thing he could have done for himself. He lost weight too fast and in a too unhealthy way. It is one of the reasons for his failing health after Aloha. Yo yo dieting is one of the worst things you can do to your body.

A pound of burnt bacon for breakfast is normal in the South? BTW, Mississippi was deemed the unhealthiest state in the USA in a recent poll. I have been to about 3 business conferences in Nashville in the 70's and 80's and the folks I met down there certainly did not eat that poorly. The only thing I saw in excess was beer drinking, but aside from that, they ate normally. I hate to say this, but perhaps it was because they were more educated and socially adept than where Elvis and his family came from. I would hate to think that everyone in the South eats what Elvis ate as a normal diet.
Last edited by r&b on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:25 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Elvis never did look better in his life than March 1960 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Agree 100%

Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:28 pm

1968-1969 he had it goin' on, too.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:35 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:1968-1969 he had it goin' on, too.

In 1960, he looked great, no doubt but he was just 25 , fresh out of the Army and should have looked great. Some rough spots around 1965-67, but again looked great in 1968 and the best ever in 1969. Those pictures backstage with Tom Jones prove it. Never looked better.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:22 pm

r&b wrote:
eligain wrote:

A pound of burnt bacon for breakfast is normal in the South? BTW, Mississippi was deemed the unhealthiest state in the USA in a recent poll. I have been to about 3 business conferences in Nashville in the 70's and 80's and the folks I met down there certainly did not eat that poorly. The only thing I saw in excess was beer drinking, but aside from that, they ate normally. I hate to say this, but perhaps it was because they were more educated and socially adept than where Elvis and his family came from. I would hate to think that everyone in the South eats what Elvis ate as a normal diet.

But did Elvis always eat a pound of bacon everyday? Those around him like Marty Lacker say that his eating habits were exaggerated. Yes he went through phases where he ate a pound of bacon but was that all the time? No according to Marty. What's bad about Mississippi today is that the poor eat a lot of cheap processed food like McDonald's and Craft Macaroni and Cheese. Elvis ate all home cooked food from scratch that included vegetables and salads. What about the time he ate a ton of peaches? And he drank spring water instead of a lot of pop!

Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:28 am

eligain wrote:
r&b wrote:
eligain wrote:

But did Elvis always eat a pound of bacon everyday? Those around him like Marty Lacker say that his eating habits were exaggerated. Yes he went through phases where he ate a pound of bacon but was that all the time? No according to Marty. What's bad about Mississippi today is that the poor eat a lot of cheap processed food like McDonald's and Craft Macaroni and Cheese. Elvis ate all home cooked food from scratch that included vegetables and salads. What about the time he ate a ton of peaches? And he drank spring water instead of a lot of pop!

Ok but I must say, I found a world of difference between Memphis and Nashville. I never in my life so many fast food junk food restaurants as I did while in Memphis, many of them on EP Blvd. Yes Elvis ate home cooking, its just that a lot of it was bad. He would get on a certain kick. Nothing but pork chops & thick gravy for a while, then follow it with nothing but yogurt. The body needs some balance. Its still a very bad diet that way.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:19 am

To me Elvis looked fine through most of the 1970-72 period. Sometimes great, sometimes just decent, but pretty healthy looking. Come April 1973 and he never looked quite the same. He looked good at times in 1973-74 but by mid September of the latter he looked ill.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:38 am

I thought June of 1974 he looked so similar to that of 1970.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:57 am

r&b wrote:
eligain wrote:
r&b wrote:
eligain wrote:

Ok but I must say, I found a world of difference between Memphis and Nashville. I never in my life so many fast food junk food restaurants as I did while in Memphis, many of them on EP Blvd. Yes Elvis ate home cooking, its just that a lot of it was bad. He would get on a certain kick. Nothing but pork chops & thick gravy for a while, then follow it with nothing but yogurt. The body needs some balance. Its still a very bad diet that way.

If I remember right the yogurt thing lasted about a day, but that's the fad dieting I was talking about. That's what was really bad, the unhealthy ways he tried to lose weight but that's what was going on in the 70's. I remember my Mom (who was the same age as Elvis) doing many of these crazy fad diets and she was maybe only 10 to 20 lbs overweight. Her friend did the diet that had you being injected with urine from pregnant women like Elvis went on prior to Aloha.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:05 pm

1968 - 1973...........Elvis' ever-changing look.............

.........It's called Aging!!

Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:23 pm

promiseland wrote:1968 - 1973...........Elvis' ever-changing look.............

How dare you say that? :D

Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:34 pm

promiseland wrote:1968 - 1973...........Elvis' ever-changing look.............

Members should take a look at a picture of themselves taken in 2008. I'll bet no one has changed as much as Elvis did during a similar 5 year period (1968-1973).

Drastically changing styles from the 1960s to the 1970s certainly didn't help Elvis' appearance. The helmet head of hair that Elvis preferred didn't exactly help reduce the puffiness in his face. Comparing a picture of Elvis from June 1968 to one from June 1973 is pretty heartbreaking.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:48 am

Marko wrote:Re Elvis look in Elvis On Tour.

Elvis did not look healthy, even when they changed the lights after the Hampton Roads concert. His face looked bloated and you can see that something is wrong.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:54 am

A. C. van Kuijk wrote:
Marko wrote:Re Elvis look in Elvis On Tour.

Elvis did not look healthy, even when they changed the lights after the Hampton Roads concert. His face looked bloated and you can see that something is wrong.

Sorry I don't see it. When EOT came out, no one said that ever.