Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

1968 - 1973...........Elvis' ever-changing look.............

Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:31 pm

Back during the 1968 comeback special, everyone knows that Elvis looked fantastic and was in great physical shape. Thin, healthy looking bright and vibrant appearance and overall "happy to be back in front of a live audience" attitude. Did anyone ever notice that during the next five years, his appearance changed dramatically as well as his attitude? Elvis had a totally different look during "That's the Way It Is" and "Elvis On Tour" filmings with longer hair and sideburns and different wardrobe and seemingly a longer thinner face during TTWII His attitude was a little more relaxed with joking around and "let's have some fun" frame of mind. Then with "Elvis On Tour" filming, a puffy, bags under the eyes worn-out and exhausted appearence with the attitude being boredom and "let's get this show over with" then back to great shape for the Aloha tapings in January 1973.
So, what is my point in saying all this?
I'd be interested in hearing other fans opinions on what affected such drastic changes in appearence and attitude during this period in Elvis' career.
Do you think that when he returned to live performances in 1969, Elvis might have believed that it was going to be a short term commitment to live shows or do you think he knew that he was in it for the long haul?

Re: 1968 - 1973...........Elvis' ever-changing look.........

Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:55 pm

elvisbot wrote:Back during the 1968 comeback special, everyone knows that Elvis looked fantastic and was in great physical shape. Thin, healthy looking bright and vibrant appearance and overall "happy to be back in front of a live audience" attitude. Did anyone ever notice that during the next five years, his appearance changed dramatically as well as his attitude? Elvis had a totally different look during "That's the Way It Is" and "Elvis On Tour" filmings with longer hair and sideburns and different wardrobe and seemingly a longer thinner face during TTWII His attitude was a little more relaxed with joking around and "let's have some fun" frame of mind. Then with "Elvis On Tour" filming, a puffy, bags under the eyes worn-out and exhausted appearence with the attitude being boredom and "let's get this show over with" then back to great shape for the Aloha tapings in January 1973.
I'd be interested in hearing other fans opinions on what affected such drastic changes in appearence and attitude during this period in Elvis' career.
Do you think that when he returned to live performances in 1969, Elvis might have believed that it was going to be a short term commitment to live shows or do you think he knew that he was in it for the long haul?

The 1968 comeback special, he was fighting to get his career back on track, which he did and them some. He was looking great in 67 and gradually worked himself to even more phenomenal shape for that special. He was challenged by Steve Binder and along with this being his first tv appearance since the British invasion, he knew he had to get refocused on his music and come up with a killer show, which he did. He was amazing during this special!

TTWII, saw a more relaxed performer, though still kicking ass and brilliant, his penchant to sing rock and roll was not the same as the 68 special. This, (like the Doc said) from playing Vegas and in trying to become a more complete entertainer.

EOT was not a bored Elvis, but he instead was a focused entertainer, who was going through a divorce, which had taken it's toll on him, emotionally. Some of his best shows were from this period. Disagree with your view of EOT.

Aloha. Again, Elvis' producer (in this case Marty Passetta) challenged him to lose weight, which he did. 25 lbs. to be exact.

Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:45 pm

elvisbot wrote:So, what is my point in saying all this?

Yeah, especially since this has already been discussed time after time after time...
(pill addiction, separation from Priscilla, etc., etc.)
smt136 smt136 smt136

Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:09 pm

I don't agree with anyone saying he looked his best in 1970, even less in 1973. The only time he ever looked better than he did in the 1968 special was in July and August of 1969. Hundred of quotes from people who saw his first engagement at the International, talked to him, point to Presley being even more striking to look at, at close range, let alone at a distance, than at any moment in his career, Steve Binder and say, Goldie Hawn saw him in June of 1968, and what they each said can be easily confirmed by a simple search on you tube. But what even more qualified people like Catherine Deveuve have commented on how good Presley looked the day she met him, namely on July 31, 1969, at the cocktail party which followed both the opening show (which she also attended, in the company of Jack Lemmon) and the press conference (which they did not) has to be read in the French version of her autobiography, to be believed. And I quote " I've never seen, before or after, a more strikingly beautiful person". End of quote. She then goes on about her trying, for about 15 minutes, for him to take her to the 30th floor (LOL, Priscilla was there, at a distance of less than a yard, so no way...), and admits and I quote "I tried hard, but after all, there's a limit to what a woman can say and whisper to a man, even if she's French, like I am" End of quote. Something happened to Presley in September or October, His face and eyes changed, and there would never be again someone, or should I say anyone, quite as "fair looking" (that's how Roger Moore puts it, when forced by reporters to acknowledge the effect his own fantastic looks had on his career LOL), as the Elvis Presley of the mid-summer of 1969.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:52 am

Jaime1234 wrote:I don't agree with anyone saying he looked his best in 1970, even less in 1973. The only time he ever looked better than he did in the 1968 special was in July and August of 1969. Hundred of quotes from people who saw his first engagement at the International, talked to him, point to Presley being even more striking to look at, at close range, let alone at a distance, than at any moment in his career, Steve Binder and say, Goldie Hawn saw him in June of 1968, and what they each said can be easily confirmed by a simple search on you tube. But what even more qualified people like Catherine Deveuve have commented on how good Presley looked the day she met him, namely on July 31, 1969, at the cocktail party which followed both the opening show (which she also attended, in the company of Jack Lemmon) and the press conference (which they did not) has to be read in the French version of her autobiography, to be believed. And I quote " I've never seen, before or after, a more strikingly beautiful person". End of quote. She then goes on about her trying, for about 15 minutes, for him to take her to the 30th floor (LOL, Priscilla was there, at a distance of less than a yard, so no way...), and admits and I quote "I tried hard, but after all, there's a limit to what a woman can say and whisper to a man, even if she's French, like I am" End of quote. Something happened to Presley in September or October, His face and eyes changed, and there would never be again someone, or should I say anyone, quite as "fair looking" (that's how Roger Moore puts it, when forced by reporters to acknowledge the effect his own fantastic looks had on his career LOL), as the Elvis Presley of the mid-summer of 1969.

Okay . . . if "something happened," what do you think happened? That's quite specific: "September or October."

Obviously, he looked slammin' in the next engagement in early '70, and looked great through most of the year. (At the end of the year, he looked VERY different. But that went up and down after that.)

I understand what you may mean, though: that he never looked like that again, and "something happened" in September or October" to create this change. I've never quite seen this, but if you could show us photos, date by date, that might be helpful in understanding your point. Where are the photos from "September or October" that lead you to think "something" happened? I'm totally open to any posibilities, because I don't trust the word of anyone around Elvis, actually. I'm open, but the pictures seem to tell a story, and I don't know what pictures to which you refer.

I mean, if we're debating several years down the "rock star" road, ok. But suddenly, in the fall? Boom. :?: :?: :?:

rjm (the only thing interesting about that time is that Elvis kept travelling from city to city, constantly, that fall, and was in a lousy mood when visiting Vegas - not playing Vegas. In the Ernst-Guralnick Day-By-Day, they mention, and I don't know how they know this, that he had a "penicillin" shot at some point that fall -- that's all.)

Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:55 am

elvisbot wrote:Then with "Elvis On Tour" filming, a puffy, bags under the eyes worn-out and exhausted appearence with the attitude being boredom and "let's get this show over with" then back to great shape for the Aloha tapings in January 1973.

While filming EOT the King certainly didn't look his best. But he still sang with power and emotion and seemed to enjoy his concerts. For ALOHA he obviously had lost some pounds and got himself a tan, but nearly all of the energy and fun seem to have vanished.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:49 pm

all Elvis needed to' look' healthier for On Tour, was a tan and a haircut.......

the pale, pasty complexion made him look worse, along with the......best description I can give it is a 'mop' of hair, (way too long at the sides and flat on top)

Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:07 pm

That is precisly why I said September and October, since that's the only period around that time for which there are no photos. I don;t know what happened, but by Novermber and December, the change had taken place. And in January, and february, boith at the International and at the Astrodome, it is very noticeable, especially at the Houston Press Conference, that something had happened. Those close ups do tell it. Maybe the accumulated stress. he looked great after the first 58 shows, in August of 1969, but even if noithing happened in tjose two months, then I guess the accumulation of 116 shows a difference make.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:30 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Elvis never did look better in his life than March 1960 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:32 pm

1968 - 1973...........Elvis' ever-changing look.............

Elvis was part Chameleon, a secret only Vernon knew.
....the main reason the Autopsy was sealed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:40 pm

promiseland wrote:1968 - 1973...........Elvis' ever-changing look.............

Elvis was part Chameleon, a secret only Vernon knew.
....the main reason the Autopsy was sealed.

Joke of the day. :smt005 :smt005 :smt005

Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:05 pm

Last edited by Blue River on Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:18 pm

elvisbot wrote:Back during the 1968 comeback special, everyone knows that Elvis looked fantastic and was in great physical shape. Thin, healthy looking bright and vibrant appearance and overall "happy to be back in front of a live audience" attitude. Did anyone ever notice that during the next five years, his appearance changed dramatically as well as his attitude? Elvis had a totally different look during "That's the Way It Is" and "Elvis On Tour" filmings with longer hair and sideburns and different wardrobe and seemingly a longer thinner face during TTWII His attitude was a little more relaxed with joking around and "let's have some fun" frame of mind. Then with "Elvis On Tour" filming, a puffy, bags under the eyes worn-out and exhausted appearence with the attitude being boredom and "let's get this show over with" then back to great shape for the Aloha tapings in January 1973.

I think Elvis thought a short term commitment for a year or two to live shows but became discouraged with his career's direction...particularly with Vegas. I think he wanted to tour cities through-out US then a world-wide tour...then try acting again. He knew hollywood's image of him was all wrong and wanted to change it.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:23 pm

Elvis looked mostly terrific between 1968 and 1973 -- he was still a young man in the prime of life who was handsome, fit and keeping up with the styles and fashions of the time whilst maintaining his own identity. Changing hairstyles and how such framed his face gave Elvis a different appearance at times during these years -- and at times thereafter. Especially as his sideburns were allowed to grow and a more slick appearance gave way to longer hair and high collars. And although his hairstyle during the making of On Tour looks dated now, that style was very much of the time but didn't suit Elvis so much, making his face appear fuller than it usually would be with shorter hair. This said, I'm sure most of us are in agreement that he looked quite puffy and occasionally tired during the filming of On Tour -- something that was further accentuated with unflattering lighting. But the notion that "something" happened to dramatically alter Elvis's appearance during late 1969 is unfounded. He looked fantastic in 1970, and was a more natural - and likely manageable - weight than the very thin Elvis of 1968. Whilst, most anyone's appearance is prone to change over the duration of five years, and also over shorter periods depending on one's lifestyle, genetics and - as mentioned - being a young, fashion-conscious man in the public eye during an era of quickly changing styles and trends. Something that's especially noticeable when put under the kind of scrutiny hundreds of photographs allow.

Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:36 pm

Elvis looks fantastic in February, 1970. Young and fit. I cannot see this big change that took place in the fall of 1969. Though he still looks good in August 1970, he does not look as youthful as the Feb 1970 photos show him to look.

Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:17 am

I notice a major change in Elvis' appearance after his short November 1970 tour. Then you see the pictures of him in January 1971 at the Jaycees' ceremony [especially the one where he raises his sunglasses to peer into the camera], and you can tell something is definitely wrong with him.

Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:46 am

jeremylr wrote:I notice a major change in Elvis' appearance after his short November 1970 tour. Then you see the pictures of him in January 1971 at the Jaycees' ceremony [especially the one where he raises his sunglasses to peer into the camera], and you can tell something is definitely wrong with him.

I think you're right, in hindsight. At the time, I didn't think much about something being wrong with him.

Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:29 am

Remember the old saying, "Beauty is only skin deep but ugly is to the bone." Anyway, Elvis was a a handsome man, period. However, in my opinion Elvis' inner turmoil accounts for some of the subtle changes in his appearance over the years you mention. It seems to me that more often than not his outward beauty was not lit from within and so there was a faded quality to it. It was dimmed.

I don't think it's a coincidence he looked his best when he felt good about his life and career and was full of hope. I think most people look their best at times like that.

Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:01 pm

jeremylr wrote:I notice a major change in Elvis' appearance after his short November 1970 tour. Then you see the pictures of him in January 1971 at the Jaycees' ceremony [especially the one where he raises his sunglasses to peer into the camera], and you can tell something is definitely wrong with him.

Same here, something didn't look right. Also recall at the time, many fans saying he needed a vacation and/or time away to get some rest.

Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:06 pm

It's night and day, there's absolutely a world of difference between Presley in August 1969 and what followed. Six months can make a difference, OK, but not like they did in Presley's case, at age 35/36. After seeing the first three, then look at at bhe fourth picture, taken on January 17, 1970,

It's not just that the tan is gone, but the chiseled, but healthy features are gone too.

To replicate this Presley, at this exact point of his life (in the summer of 1969), is what I would call, is today's terms, a hologram artist's worst nightmare.

1 August 1969, press conference, at age 35 http://www.myelvisworld.com/file/pic/gallery/5035.jpg

1 August 1969 cocktail, at age 35 http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Elvis-Presley-Go ... ~60_35.JPG

3 August 1969, on stage, at age 35 http://www.elvisinfonet.com/image-files ... 969.2x.jpg

17 January 1970, off stage at age 36. http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... /rcabl.jpg

Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:27 pm

in most of the cases we are mentioning i think the most important reason for a change in appearance is whether he had a tan or not.lol. if he had tan in On Tour there would not be many complaints. if he had been pale for MSG there would have been complaints. but he was all tanned up.

He was never going to look as good as the 68 special or the 69 opening again because at that time Elvis was hungry to get his career back on top. once it was he started coasting again..

Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:40 pm

Elvis naturally carried weight on his face -- even when very young in his early twenties. At his thinnest, most slender and during periods of increased activity, his face always looked thinner, e.g. post army, during the '68 special and in Vegas the following year. There's nothing incredible to appreciate in this, or that he was probably seven to ten pounds heavier in January of 1970 compared to August of 1969.

Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:27 am

Jaime1234 wrote:It's night and day, there's absolutely a world of difference between Presley in August 1969 and what followed. Six months can make a difference, OK, but not like they did in Presley's case, at age 35/36. After seeing the first three, then look at at bhe fourth picture, taken on January 17, 1970,

It's not just that the tan is gone, but the chiseled, but healthy features are gone too.

To replicate this Presley, at this exact point of his life (in the summer of 1969), is what I would call, is today's terms, a hologram artist's worst nightmare.

1 August 1969, press conference, at age 35 http://www.myelvisworld.com/file/pic/gallery/5035.jpg

1 August 1969 cocktail, at age 35 http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Elvis-Presley-Go ... ~60_35.JPG

3 August 1969, on stage, at age 35 http://www.elvisinfonet.com/image-files ... 969.2x.jpg

17 January 1970, off stage at age 36. http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... /rcabl.jpg

On January 8, 1969, Elvis turned 34 years old. Little oopsie there.

So those photos need to be "age-corrected." I mean, I don't know if his age is listed on the site, but it's just a matter of the arithmetic from Jan. 8, 1935.

That done, let's talk about those "missing months." There are photos. They are from the Bahamas. He apparently got a haircut. And on the beach, either before or after a hurricane, it's windy and wet. He appears wet, and his white pants seem to be sticking to his legs. He looks ok, but as I said, it was a terrible day, and he was seemingly a little drenched. Not soaking, but you can sense the water everywhere. He didn't seem in a happy mood, judging by what he wrote on the back of the photo. There were, I think, two shots.

I think maybe he was tired, and suddenly got very restless. I think there was some marital discord, judging by the Vegas comments repeated in Guralnick. This was repaired again.

After the second Vegas gig, he simply looks tired to me. And not overly skinny. He might have been a little too skinny, actually, in '69 - and in some of '68. He was very nervous about the Astrodome gig, and had just finished the second Vegas run after spend the autumn running all over the country. He had wanted a European vacation that fall, but the Col. somehow stopped him. He was offered the Bahamas, and actually got a chance to use a passport. I believe Guralnick mentions the that the Col. said he had "connections" there. Well, a hurricane hit, and the trip was a bust, and was cut short.

It is an interesting time because there seem to be those photos from the Bahamas, on a Polaroid, and nothing else. Otherwise, from reports, he looked great.

No other photos from that time that i have seen. I'd like to see more just for the heck of it. Anyone?

rjm

Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:41 pm

Blue River wrote:
elvisbot wrote:So, what is my point in saying all this?

Yeah, especially since this has already been discussed time after time after time...
(pill addiction, separation from Priscilla, etc., etc.)
smt136 smt136 smt136

another feeble attempt to derail another post.
If this has been covered many times before, it's as easy as clicking it off the screen and going to the next post. Why all the negativity ?
Perhaps NEW members here want to read about subjects that have been covered before because they weren't here back then.
Give us a break....will ya!

Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:54 am

the difference in appearence from 1969 to summer 1970 was that he gained about 10 lbs.. thats all.. A persons weight has much to do with their appearence. Just that first 10 lbs even.. Aug 69 to jan 70 he just gained about 7-10 lbs, lost his tan and his hair grew longer. Thats all.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... AQ&dur=265

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=1970+elv ... s:63,i:285

.....he just gained a little bit of weight.