Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

SOLD OUT / Writing For The King

Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Image

Here is CD1 of this BOOK release, the original release had audio of varying quality, so i have reworked each track to give a smoother listen, great covers too, courtesy of UNCHAINED DESIGNS ......

FLAC

http://en.packupload.com/MQ7XMM6ULMP

Hope u enjoy it, always one i tended to overlook before ........

Re: SOLD OUT / Writing For The King

Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:51 pm

Thanks denny, will download it when im home. i also overlook this cd set alot. maybe thats because of CD 2 mostly..
But will listen to your work ::rocks

Re: SOLD OUT / Writing For The King

Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:55 pm

What book release is it then? "Sold out" or "Writing for the King"? And what was wrong with the audio in the first place?

Re: SOLD OUT / Writing For The King

Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:43 pm

"Writing for the King" is the book, Sold Out is the title of the concert on disc one, the audio is patchy at best just made it sound more like it comes from the same show, thats all ........

Re: SOLD OUT / Writing For The King

Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:53 am

dennyelvis wrote:"Writing for the King" is the book, Sold Out is the title of the concert on disc one, the audio is patchy at best just made it sound more like it comes from the same show, thats all ........

Patchy?

CD 1 of Writing for the King (FTD) is a compilation of 7 different shows recorded by RCA from 4 different Las Vegas visits (Aug 69, Feb 70, Aug 70, Feb 72). More than half are from August 1969.

CD 1
01: Blue Suede Shoes (Aug 24 1969 MS)
02: I Got A Woman (Aug 24 1969 MS) [Master]
03: All Shook Up (Aug 24 1969 MS)
04: Love Me Tender (Aug 24 1969 MS)
05: Jailhouse Rock/Don't Be Cruel (Aug. 24 1969 MS)
06: Heartbreak Hotel (Aug 24 1969 MS)
07: Hound Dog (Aug 24 1969 MS)
08: Words (Aug 25 1969 DS)
09: Yesterday/Hey Jude (Aug 24 1969 MS)
10: In The Ghetto (Aug 25 1969 MS)
11: Dont' Cry Daddy (Feb 16 1970 DS)
12: Polk Salad Annie (Feb 16 1970 DS)
13: Kentucky Rain (Feb 17 1970 DS)
14: Walk A Mile In My Shoes (Feb 16 1970 DS)
15: Something (Aug 11 1970 DS)
16: You've Lost That Loving Feeling (Aug 11 1970 DS)
17: I Just Can't Help Believing (Aug 13 1970 DS)
18: Never Been To Spain (Feb 14 1972 MS)
19: Love Me (Feb 14 1972 MS)
20: Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel (Feb 14 1972 MS)
21: A Big Hunk O'Love (Feb 14 1972 MS)
22: Suspicious Minds (Aug 24 1969 MS)
23: Can't Help Falling In Love (Aug 24 1969 MS)



The bands are different in each instance, not to mention a nearly three-year gap between the oldest and newest tracks. Why in the world would it be better to make it sound like all 23 cuts come from the same show?

Re: SOLD OUT / Writing For The King

Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:08 am

From the first listen, I was disappointed. Not only were some versions rather weak ("Don't Cry Daddy" stands out in that dept.), but it simply does a disservice to Elvis by comparing demo recordings to "his own" recordings, when they are random live cuts of varying quality, and not his master recordings!

I have been kinda burned up about that -- and regarding other things in this book, which clearly states that Elvis would be nothing without these people "writing for" him. When, in fact, his first records, and some of his biggest records, such as "Hound Dog" were not "written for" him at all! As though he was just some variety singer with great/outstanding material: a better quality Julius LaRosa, or somebody. A lucky, somewhat talented dolt.

The truth? Much of his material STUNK, actually, and Elvis somehow, is known as "the king." I don't condone that whole destructive "king" business, but that's not the point. The point is that the book tries to make it seem as though he was not a creator - that he just copied these magnificent demo records, and without that, he'd be nowhere. This is simply not the case, or someone hasn't heard "My Baby Left Me," among many others!

Rant over. I have it, refer to it, and feel kinda slimy every time I take it off the shelf. Just the way it is. (Don't listen to the record, either.)

rjm

Re: SOLD OUT / Writing For The King

Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:27 am

Wow.

My feeling on Writing for the King is that it is an essential piece of the puzzle, with a lot of insight into the many talented people who contributed to a great legacy of recordings by Elvis. Certainly, some turned out better songs than others, but they are all part of the story. And do not forget that some of these people had Elvis' greatest respect, like Don Robertson, who, for a time, hung with him both in the studio and at his California home.

CD1 falls short in my eyes only because I would rather have had two full discs of songwriter demos, or a sequence of "Before and After" tunes (demo / master). Of course, the inclusion of the revelatory October 1955 Glenn Reeves demo of "Heartbreak Hotel," cleaned up to perfection by Kevan Budd, was worth the price of the entire package alone. At least for me.

Re: SOLD OUT / Writing For The King

Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:38 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Wow.


When I get a bee in my bonnet, it's one of those killer ones. ;)

drjohncarpenter wrote:
My feeling on Writing for the King is that it is an essential piece of the puzzle, with a lot of insight into the many talented people who contributed to a great legacy of recordings by Elvis. Certainly, some turned out better songs than others, but they are all part of the story. And do not forget that some of these people had Elvis' greatest respect, like Don Robertson, who, for a time, hung with him both in the studio and at his California home.

CD1 falls short in my eyes only because I would rather have had two full discs of songwriter demos, or a sequence of "Before and After" tunes (demo / master). Of course, the inclusion of the revelatory October 1955 Glenn Reeves demo of "Heartbreak Hotel," cleaned up to perfection by Kevan Budd, was worth the price of the entire package alone. At least for me.


I know: it's necessary. As I said. Necessary. But I don't have to like the thing. :lol:

rjm (No, I don't actually have a "bonnet.")
P.S. -- On the other hand, I love Ken Sharpe's Vegas '69 book! So, there you go.

Re: SOLD OUT / Writing For The King

Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:23 pm

Writing For The King is an enjoyable, insightful, and essential read that along with the demo cuts make for a nice behind the scenes view of the record making process. The only real anomaly about it are the out of place Vegas recordings (which don't appear in great sound anyway).

Re: SOLD OUT / Writing For The King

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:56 pm

I kinda knew this release stirred up varied feelings amongst fans, at least now we know why it was released on a collectors label ! , part of the puzzle ? i guess it is, essential ? now thats subjective, but i guess we're all glad we have it, even if it does stay on the shelf ..... great review rjm, i love ur honesty .........

Re: SOLD OUT / Writing For The King

Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:15 pm

dennyelvis wrote:I kinda knew this release stirred up varied feelings amongst fans, at least now we know why it was released on a collectors label ! , part of the puzzle ? i guess it is, essential ? now thats subjective, but i guess we're all glad we have it, even if it does stay on the shelf ..... great review rjm, i love ur honesty .........

Ever read the book? Essential, with a capitol E.

Re: SOLD OUT / Writing For The King

Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:36 pm

Yes, an interesting read. But as discussed at the time, the 2nd CD of live recrdings is totally supurflous and in no way belongs to this book in any way.

Re: SOLD OUT / Writing For The King

Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:34 pm

I actually liked this release from FTD. I am no expert on sound/quality, but I enjoyed both CD's. It shows a song before and after the Elvis treatment. I would like to see FTD do something like this again in the future.

rlj

Re: SOLD OUT / Writing For The King

Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:20 pm

Tony.. wrote:Yes, an interesting read. But as discussed at the time, the 2nd CD of live recrdings is totally supurflous and in no way belongs to this book in any way.

CD1 contains the live recordings; CD2 holds the songwriter demos.

Re: SOLD OUT / Writing For The King

Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:07 am

The Vegas disc seemed to be a bit of a safety net. This book came out when the impression was an FTD book would not do well without some Elvis music attached to it. Thankfully this view changed with the release of 4 Days In 56 (I wonder what the units sold on that one is).

A second disc of demos would have been preferred, or as noted - demo version followed by master take. Whatever. It doesn't subtract from the enjoyment of the book, which is an excellent read and much more up my street when it comes to books on Elvis.

Re: SOLD OUT / Writing For The King

Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:21 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
I would rather have had two full discs of songwriter demos...


It really scares me when I agree with Doc.
I love the demo disc.

Re: SOLD OUT / Writing For The King

Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:06 am

I gotta scan in, and CIRCLE, certain parts of the introduction. That's all. (I never said it wasn't handy.)

rjm (Thanks, Denny. And I DO take it off the shelf! There are certain things in there that are significant to know. It's just the gist of it, that got my Irish up. I did buy it, after all. And yes, I was very, very curious about HH demo. But, as many know, Tommy told a different version of events, elsewhere. Anyway, that's someone else's specialty, and I'll leave that alone.)