Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

The 8th Wonder Of The World (Venus)‏

Thu May 10, 2012 10:15 pm

From the press release:

Out now from Venus is the 3-3-1974 Houston show taken from a first generation source.
Unlike other labels, who pretend to have found new sources, Venus always lived up to their promises and released top notch quality. This time Venus promises you again a vast improvement in sound and you will again be very happy with it.
Prepare yourself for a very special, great sounding show and get ready for:

The 8th Wonder Of The World

Re: The 8th Wonder Of The World (Venus)‏

Thu May 10, 2012 10:49 pm

Wow, didn't see this one coming given the future titles on the Operation Big Apple announcement. This is an excellent show and it'll be nice to see how much more the sound can be improved.

Thu May 10, 2012 10:58 pm

I think I will pick up a copy.

Thu May 10, 2012 11:01 pm

Is it just me or is there nothing new more to release as far as studio out takes and sounboards are concerned. I fondly remember those 90's where you regular new soundboards with new shows like this one which was released as Event Number 8 back then.

Is the 'Improved Sound Quality' the only thing that make people buy these re-runs? :?

Thu May 10, 2012 11:04 pm

I think I'll skip the Venus release and stick with this fine disc....

Thu May 10, 2012 11:05 pm

Ales Majer wrote:Is it just me or is there nothing new more to release as far as studio out takes and sounboards are concerned. I fondly remember those 90's where you regular new soundboards with new shows like this one which was released as Event Number 8 back then.

Is the 'Improved Sound Quality' the only thing that make people buy these re-runs? :?

Well for me, I don't have "Event Number 8" and never heard this show, so that's why I'm getting it.

Thu May 10, 2012 11:10 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:I think I'll skip the Venus release and stick with this fine disc....

Same here but good news for those who missed the great Madison days.
I think FTD is the only label to bring us new soundboards in the future, and that's fine.

Thu May 10, 2012 11:19 pm

I will skip this one..I am pleased with what I have.

Thu May 10, 2012 11:29 pm

I think the least we can do is wait for some audio samples first before passing judgement. Few would argue Venus haven't earned that.

A touted "first generation source" of such a unique performance should really prove a must for the hardcore collector.
I also hope they have followed the lead of the magnificent Rebooked set, and have applied some [unobtrusive] concert ambiance, to boost the sonics of the recording, in contrast to the dry and rather lifeless previous incarnation - as welcome and noteworthy a release as that certainly was.

Thu May 10, 2012 11:41 pm

I tend to agree....i am happy with what i have, but want to hear sound samples and feedback about just hOW MUCH SOUND IMPROVEMENT, NOT JUST "A FAST IMPROVEMENT!~"

Fri May 11, 2012 12:45 am

If it's improved sound-wise, and it probably will be knowing Venus, I will get it. The Madison one wasn't too great sound-wise. Not bad, but only fair.

Fri May 11, 2012 12:53 am

I'd like to know why the hell can't this great show be available on the FTD series rather than the pathetic Amarillo '77 ?

Fri May 11, 2012 12:56 am

If it sounds like from out of space (it's from outer space)
you can be sure it's from...
VENUS

I hope their 'heavily improved sound quality'
is better than their writing quality!

Fri May 11, 2012 1:01 am

Coming soon also from Venus :: "The Unedited Masters, 1971"

Fri May 11, 2012 1:40 am

Is this worth getting for those who don't have the show at all?

Fri May 11, 2012 2:00 am

trouble_jw wrote:Is this worth getting for those who don't have the show at all?

Absolutely.
Elvis live on stage without an orchestra is enough to make this an essential show to own.

norrie

Fri May 11, 2012 2:08 am

norrie wrote:
trouble_jw wrote:Is this worth getting for those who don't have the show at all?

Absolutely.
Elvis live on stage without an orchestra is enough to make this an essential show to own.

I agree... especially if the sound is improved.

Fri May 11, 2012 3:27 am

well we what know is they didn't record the show multi track what a shame

2.it wasn't recorded in stereo.

3.It will be a better balance mono recording i'm thinking and if it is from a new source then it's welcomed with open arms

if it's just a soundforge job i will pass on it and us fans shouldn't waste money on such releases

Fri May 11, 2012 5:32 am

I really like this show. Just hearing Elvis and the band without the orchestra is a real treat. Would have been great to be in the Astrodome for this and the evening show. rlj

Fri May 11, 2012 10:21 am

FTD may release it soon...

Fri May 11, 2012 10:56 am

I'm just hoping they're working on the original source... Image

Fri May 11, 2012 11:03 am

The Madison CD didn't sound too good, so I'm sure the Venus release does feature improved sound, but... I won't buy it anyway. I am happy with what I have. The soundboard era is over as far as I'm concerned. The bootleggers offer nothing but reissues. Yes, FTD does release new shows, but it's obvious that all the truly great ones - shows that are special, that feature rare songs, etc - have all been released many years ago. It's over!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Fri May 11, 2012 11:08 am

I'm hoping they start releasing matrix recordings (Soundboard mixed with AR); now that would be interesting! :wink:
I say this all the time, in case someone is reading out there...
Last edited by JimmyCool on Sat May 12, 2012 5:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fri May 11, 2012 11:12 am

The excitement is gone, because most of us are collecting live recordings for more than two decades. Back in the old days of Fort Baxter and Bilko we got a lot of surprises and even the regular concerts were great to buy, because it was the first time we got them in great sound.

Today we all know what to expect from a certain period and we all have lots of shows from each tour and Vegas/Tahoe engagement in our collection. Elvis pretty much stuck to his usual set list and so the "old" collectors now just get another version of the same songs in the same sequence. But that doesn't mean that the shows themselves were boring. We just know them all too well by now.

VENUS is a quality label and even their re-releases offered an improvement in quality. And so I am pretty sure that THE 8TH WONDER OF THE WORLD will sound better than the old Madison release. I am definitely looking forward to receive my copy.

:D

Fri May 11, 2012 11:50 am

JimmyCool wrote:I'm just hoping they're working on the original source... Image

You mean the Madison "Event Number Eight" release? I think so... :lol: