Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Is there an "import" release of the Rapid City sho

Wed May 07, 2003 9:56 pm

For the CBS In Concert the shows in Omaha and Rapid City were recorded. The Omaha show has been released (twice: Savanah and Capt. Marvel) on soundboard, but is there an "official" (ahum) import release of the Omaha show? I know the CDR that is circulating, but have never seen a normal, pressed CD version of it.

IF that show hasn't been released yet, than that shows the bad times the bootleggers are having right now. Especially knowing that the Omaha show is already (and easy) available.

This is the only version of this show. I've downloaded it, so I don't know if it's a rare CD or a CDR:

Thu May 08, 2003 10:02 am

But still it's weird that no "import" label has released it, since the soundquality is really good (and obviously not taken from the videotapes).

Thu May 08, 2003 4:37 pm

Notice that "My Way" is missing from the song lineup. I wonder why?

Thu May 08, 2003 7:57 pm

Hi,

There's also a CDR around called The Final Tour. This one is far from complete. It ends right after My Way.

Sonny

Thu May 08, 2003 8:04 pm

As far as I’m aware all the different versions of the Rapid City show are taken directly from the CBS videotapes. I’ve never heard a complete soundboard of this show. Some CDR releases just lifted the soundtrack straight from the CBS out takes video, (hence the missing songs) whilst there are others that added missing performances and dialogue from the “Elvis In Concert” album and video to make the show as complete as possible.

Thu May 08, 2003 8:10 pm

Does anyone know the sound quality on the above CD?
Is this a soundboard recording or compiled from the RCA stereo recordings?

You're right, Pete. It's interesting why "My Way" is left off.
I think it fits in right after or before Teddy Bear / Don't Be Cruel.

Ernst just has to release this show on FTD. I don't know what the show would sound like without the overdubs
- I understand that the orchestra did not record well - the brass was overdubbed.

Also, was this show (and the Omaha show) recorded on a full 16 track setup?

Thu May 08, 2003 8:20 pm

RCA recorded both shows completely in 16 track, but the recordings that are circulating are definitely not taken from RCA’s source tapes. The missing tracks on some releases are an obvious indication of the source of this material, and the discs that appear more complete are simply compiled from additional previously issued sources.