Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: How would his albums fair today ?

Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:01 pm

The industri changed allready in 1956 when Parker realized they made the misstake releasing Hound Dog and Don't Be Cruel as one singel.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:35 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
George Smith wrote:It's an impossible question to answer properly but it's fun to speculate.

How about this as a rule of thumb: many current artists seem to issue one album every two years.

Therefore, pick any two year period of Elvis' career and assemble and LP consisting of the best twelve songs from those twenty-four months.

Think about how good those LPs would be ...

Excellent suggestion.

George Smith, there is your next topic!

Thanks but no thanks -- I'm drowning my current topic, John!

Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:36 pm

blue boy wrote:The industri changed allready in 1956 when Parker realized they made the misstake releasing Hound Dog and Don't Be Cruel as one singel.

I think I get what you mean but I don't see how Elvis' biggest selling single of the 1950s and an era-defining 45 can be viewed as a mistake.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:01 am

George Smith wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
George Smith wrote:It's an impossible question to answer properly but it's fun to speculate.

How about this as a rule of thumb: many current artists seem to issue one album every two years.

Therefore, pick any two year period of Elvis' career and assemble and LP consisting of the best twelve songs from those twenty-four months.

Excellent suggestion.

Thanks but no thanks -- I'm drowning my current topic, John!

Hope it's not too lonely. ;-)

Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:21 am

George Smith wrote:
blue boy wrote:The industri changed allready in 1956 when Parker realized they made the misstake releasing Hound Dog and Don't Be Cruel as one singel.

I think I get what you mean but I don't see how Elvis' biggest selling single of the 1950s and an era-defining 45 can be viewed as a mistake.

It's real simple, they found out that they could have sold twice as much singles with a throw away songs as b-sides for both Don't Be Cruel and Hound Dog. But your right from a historical point view it is a groundbreaking record, but my point was that
the industri found out that it was a big misstake, so the industri changed allready in 56.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:32 am

blue boy wrote:
George Smith wrote:

It's real simple, they found out that they could have sold twice as much singles with a throw away songs as b-sides for both Don't Be Cruel and Hound Dog. But your right from a historical point view it is a groundbreaking record, but my point was that
the industri found out that it was a big misstake, so the industri changed allready in 56.

Perhaps, yes.

But during this vital period, Elvis simply would not have permitted anything less than his best to be issued as a B-side.

I'm 99% certain that it was Elvis who chose those two songs as one single in the same way that he chose and approved every other proper RCA single during the 1950s and early 1960s.

There is, in my opinion, a general understimation of his artistry and creative control from 1954 to 1962: Elvis chose the virtually all of his songs and retained almost complete say over what was issued.

He recorded what he wanted at the pace he chose to record. All other artists were expected to turn in four songs per three hour recording session: that's one of the reasons Steve Sholes was tearing his hair out in January 1956. Did any other recording star have that level of artistic control? Someone please correct me, but I think not.

He may have bowed to others regarding the exact make-up and running order of his LPs (an unknown territory for Elvis at that time) but when it came to the music and the choice of singles Elvis made his mark in the sand from 10th January 1956.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:33 am

One thing is certain, a "My Boy" single would be a major hit with the youth in the U.K. and Norway.

Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:45 am

midnightx wrote:One thing is certain, a "My Boy" single would be a major hit with the youth in the U.K. and Norway.

:D

Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:45 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Excellent suggestion.

Well, I think Elvis At Sun does a pretty good job of covering the 1954-55 time period...

And I would have a very difficult time assembling just one album from 1960-1961. There are so many outstanding recordings from that era that I would have to compile a double LP!

Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:32 am

I think a few of his albums could have had more single opportunities on them. Would have been interesting to see Elvis' albums with all the hit singles included on them. I wonder if that would have impacted sales of the albums and singles? Also, would Elvis have more credibility for his albums in the music world (Like the beetles get) then he does today had they included hit singles? Id like to think so!

Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:47 am

trouble_jw wrote:I think a few of his albums could have had more single opportunities on them. Would have been interesting to see Elvis' albums with all the hit singles included on them. I wonder if that would have impacted sales of the albums and singles? Also, would Elvis have more credibility for his albums in the music world (Like the beetles get) then he does today had they included hit singles? Id like to think so!

Hmm, it's possible but, generally speaking, The Beatles avoided putting their regular UK singles on their UK albums.

It's down to a question of creative vision and quality control.

When Elvis got it right, he got it very right: Elvis Is Back + the three A & B sides is about as close to perfection as anyone has ever achieved.

Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:07 am

They would fair poorly . Todays pop music is far from the tastes of Elvis Presley. If his 74 to 77 LPs barely Had much appeal to that generation how would it be better today? :wtf: