Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

50's Live

Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:17 am

I want to collect everything live from the 50's that's in semi-decent quality (Official Releases).

Beside these two below, is there anything else? Isn't there a Vegas Show(S)?

Golden Celebration [Live]
http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Celebratio ... B0000015O9

Complete Louisiana Hayride Archives [Box set]
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Louisian ... B005SDDD2Q

Re: 50's Live

Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:03 am

TUPELO WELCOMES HOME ELVIS PRESLEY was a great release from Memphis Recording Service if you can still get a copy. Million Dollar Quartet also springs to mind.

Jasper.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:39 am

Was there a Vegas release? The complete masters has tracks from the vagas shows. Is there a complete CD?

Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:55 am

I think you are thinking of the vegas show in April/May of 1956. If so, it's on the 4 CD silver box set called "Elvis Aron Presley".

I hope this helps.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:01 am

Mitch wrote:I think you are thinking of the vegas show in April/May of 1956. If so, it's on the 4 CD silver box set called "Elvis Aron Presley".

I hope this helps.

Yes! Very Helpful!

Besides those 4 songs, are there any others from that show?

Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:17 am

ElvisTheKid wrote:
Mitch wrote:I think you are thinking of the vegas show in April/May of 1956. If so, it's on the 4 CD silver box set called "Elvis Aron Presley".

I hope this helps.

Yes! Very Helpful!

Also,
When they put Alt takes on these compilations, how do they determine the songs? Are they just random fillers or is there a pattern to it?

Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:26 am

ElvisTheKid wrote:

I hope this helps.

Yes! Very Helpful!

I don't think so.

If anyone knows I hope they let us both know. :)

There are a lot of very smart Elvis people on this board and I hope they see this and help.

::rocks

Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:31 am

The only officialy released 50's concert you seem to be missing, and I'm surprised nobody did mention it already, is the May 16th 1956 Little Rock concert. IIRC it was released officialy for the first time on last years 'Young Man With The Big Beat box.

Little Rock, Arkansas, May 16th 1956 9.30pm:

1. Heartbreak Hotel (02:33)
2. Long Tall Sally (02:09)
3. I Was The One (03:13)
4. Money Honey (02:20)
5. I Got A Woman (03:28)
6. Blue Suede Soes (04:00)
7. Hound Dog (02:45)

Elvis Presley - Young Man With The Big Beat (Sony legacy 88697941412 / 88697935342 - Released: 2011)

Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:34 am

Mitch wrote:
ElvisTheKid wrote:

I hope this helps.

Yes! Very Helpful!

I don't think so.

If anyone knows I hope they let us both know. :)

There are a lot of very smart Elvis people on this board and I hope they see this and help.

::rocks

No other songs from the May 6th 1956 concert at the Las Vegas New Frontier Hotel are available on either bootleg and/or official releases.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:46 am

stefan kock wrote:The only officialy released 50's concert you seem to be missing, and I'm surprised nobody did mention it already, is the May 16th 1956 Little Rock concert. IIRC it was released officialy for the first time on last years 'Young Man With The Big Beat box.

Elvis Presley - Young Man With The Big Beat (Sony legacy 88697941412 / 88697935342 - Released: 2011)

The LIttle Rock show appeared on the Today tomorrow and forever box set.
Someone applied some terrible sounding reverb to the recording which ruined it.
The go-to cd for this concert is still the old Bilko booteg. It sounds clean on that release.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:54 am

Thanks Ekenee !

Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:23 am

stefan kock wrote:The only officialy released 50's concert you seem to be missing, and I'm surprised nobody did mention it already, is the May 16th 1956 Little Rock concert. IIRC it was released officialy for the first time on last years 'Young Man With The Big Beat box.

YMWTBB_2.jpg

The previously-unreleased concert in this set is from Shreveport in December.

Elvis Presley
"Louisiana Hayride" Benefit Show
Hirsch Youth Center, Shreveport, LA
Saturday, December 15, 1956

Heartbreak Hotel
Long Tall Sally
I Was The One
Love Me Tender
Don't Be Cruel
Love Me
I Got A Woman
When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again
Paralyzed
Hound Dog

The box also has the May 6, 1956 (Las Vegas) and the May 16, 1956 (Little Rock) concerts.

After this, live 1950s material is best found here on Elvis: A Golden Celebration (RCA , 1998). It has audio from all the live TV appearances (Stage Show, Berle, Allen, Sullivan), and the September 26, 1956 Tupelo Benefit Shows. The Tupelo DVD above is worth having for the video, but the concert audio is 100% sourced from Elvis: A Golden Celebration.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:31 am

Thanks Doc !

I was up way too early this morning (especially for it being a Sunday) and confused the Hayride show with the Little Rock one as being released officially for the first time on that box. Still, I am surprised nobody did mention the Little Rock concert sooner. IIRC this is only tour show available from the 50's right ? (at least have me this one correct :lol: )

The Hayride concert is absolutely fantastic and to me the best reprensentation of the 50's live Elvis.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:35 am

You are correct that May 16, 1956 (Little Rock) is the only tape we have of a '50s tour performance. I keep hoping someone will find and release a 1957 show. They better hurry, time is passing.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:40 pm

No-one has mentioned the March '55 Eagle's Hall show yet have they? I think it first came out on boot (Rockin' Rebel vol 2) and then officially in the UK on a pricey 'Elvis, Scotty & Bill - The First Year' set (below) that also had an interview with Scotty on the second side. Big news at the time.

It's had lots of semi-legit releases on cheapo CDs over the years. Can't bring to mind an official release that it's on.

It's a smasher of a show, the only complete Sun-era concert we have. It seems to be recorded from Elvis' mic, so the mix is a little off, but it's very listenable and loads of fun.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:10 pm

Bill Tanner wrote:No-one has mentioned the March '55 Eagle's Hall show yet have they? I think it first came out on boot (Rockin' Rebel vol 2) and then officially in the UK on a pricey 'Elvis, Scotty & Bill - The First Year' set (below) that also had an interview with Scotty on the second side. Big news at the time.

It's had lots of semi-legit releases on cheapo CDs over the years. Can't bring to mind an official release that it's on.

It's a smasher of a show, the only complete Sun-era concert we have. It seems to be recorded from Elvis' mic, so the mix is a little off, but it's very listenable and loads of fun.

Thanks so much!!!! This is Great!!!!! Gotta love Youtube!!!!!! And This Board!!!!

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:21 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

YMWTBB_2.jpg

The previously-unreleased concert in this set is from Shreveport in December.

Elvis Presley
"Louisiana Hayride" Benefit Show
Hirsch Youth Center, Shreveport, LA
Saturday, December [b]15
, 1956[/b]

Heartbreak Hotel
Long Tall Sally
I Was The One
Love Me Tender
Don't Be Cruel
Love Me
I Got A Woman
When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again
Paralyzed
Hound Dog

The box also has the May 6, 1956 (Las Vegas) and the May 16, 1956 (Little Rock) concerts.

After this, live 1950s material is best found here on Elvis: A Golden Celebration (RCA , 1998). It has audio from all the live TV appearances (Stage Show, Berle, Allen, Sullivan), and the September 26, 1956 Tupelo Benefit Shows. The Tupelo DVD above is worth having for the video, but the concert audio is 100% sourced from Elvis: A Golden Celebration.

I'm confused? Dec 15th or 16th is the date of this show?
http://shop.elvis.com.au/prod190.htm

Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:23 pm

ElvisTheKid wrote:I'm confused? Dec 15th or 16th is the date of this show?

15th
http://scottymoore.net/shreveport2.html

Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:43 pm

Bill Tanner wrote:Image

What a great photo!! Good times.....

Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:45 pm

Bill Tanner wrote:No-one has mentioned the March '55 Eagle's Hall show yet have they? I think it first came out on boot (Rockin' Rebel vol 2) and then officially in the UK on a pricey 'Elvis, Scotty & Bill - The First Year' set (below) that also had an interview with Scotty on the second side. Big news at the time.

Is it available on an official release that one can get his hands on? It sounds great for beeing recorded that way back in '55

Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:23 am

The Eagle's Hall show from March 19, 1955 debuted here:

Elvis Presley, Scotty and Bill - The First Years (HALW 00001, 1978)

Side 2 included the show.

Introduction by Bob Winsett, Good Rockin' Tonight
Introduction of Bill and Scotty
Baby Let's Play House
Blue Moon of Kentucky
I Got A Woman
That's All Right
Broadcast by KNUZ Radio and KPRC-TV, Grand Prize Jamboree, Eagles Hall

Note that Elvis' band introductions have always been incomplete. Also, the pitch isn't quite right on this and all subsequent LP and CD releases. Basically, the audio runs too slow on "Baby, Let's Play House" and the other four songs run too fast. However, when the entire set is speed-corrected, it is very enjoyable. The performance itself is beyond incredible. Elvis is on fire, creating a whole new world in under thirty minutes.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:25 am

How many posts do I need to make before you stop questioning their veracity? It is no surprise that product got the date wrong. Well, no surprise to some.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:56 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

How many posts do I need to make before you stop questioning their veracity? It is no surprise that product got the date wrong. Well, no surprise to some.

Yeah... you'd think when they copied the sound directly from YMWTBB they could have bothered to get the date right...

Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:40 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

I wasn't questioning you per say. I just saw two opposing dates and just asked the question. Hence the reason for all my "stupid " questions.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:49 pm

ElvisTheKid, the March 1955 performance was released on a cd titled Elvis Raw ---> http://www.amazon.com/Elvis-Raw--Early- ... 961&sr=1-1