Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

*Brown Eyed Handsome Man (re-edit)*

Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:27 pm

Here's a tighter edit of the memorable [stop-start] Million Dollar Quartet, Chuck Berry jam, from Dec. '56.
Whilst obviously not a studio master, in this new format [that has a touch of reverb applied], it makes for a more concise and easier listen.
This is truly history in the making and lest we forget, are extremely lucky to be able to eavesdrop on.
Hope you enjoy - all 77 seconds of it!

Brown Eyed Handsome Man (re-edit)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/anyrcg

Sun Studio, Dec. 4th 1956

Re: *Brown Eyed Handsome Man (re-edit)*

Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:10 pm

Can't download it sadly. Youtube it perhaps?

Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:45 pm

Try this link:
http://www34.zippyshare.com/v/9149037/file.html

Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:59 pm

Why just this song? And not the entire album?

Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:57 am

Thank you.

Didn't check it out yet though. I remember doing this some twenty years ago - and record it on cassette! That was really a body of work.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:32 am

The WMA file is well-done. The reverb is unobstrusive, too. Thanks for sharing.

---

ElvisTheKid wrote:Why just this song? And not the entire album?

"Brown-Eyed Handsome Man" is the only song from the jam with a lot of stops and starts, and a different lyric each time. Didn't you say you finally listened to the Million Dollar Quartet CD in your collection?

ElvisTheKid wrote:Although I've seen the Broadway play twice, I've always delayed listening to the original MDQ album. Mainly because I though it wasn't easy listening. Poor quality combined with gibberish in-between and during songs always scared me away from listening to it. I feared not being able to identify Elvis. Finally I had to cave because I knew I'd never be a real Elvis fan without knowing this album…..

The first thing I did rip the CD onto my PC and edited each track to just the song itself (no talking before and after). I then got rid of all the couple other songs that weren't Elvis (Carl & Jerry) and the instrumentals. This brought it down to about 30 songs. I burnt it back onto a disc, held my breath, and gave it a listen…..

Well I couldn't have been more wrong. The quality was actually pretty good. It's 90% Elvis and you can tell its ELVIS. The songs were all Great!!!!! After that, I just switched back to the original CD. That talking I called gibberish was absolutely brilliant especially Elvis talking about Don't Be Cruel.

In My Opinion, this rivals the 68 Comeback Special. Obviously not comparable for multiple reasons but when you break it down to the rawness, it's just another notch with clarity as to how great Elvis really was. I want more of this.

I spent all this time learning the Home Recordings, I Wonder I Wonder I Wonder and Number 8, while this Masterpiece was sitting on my shelf. The play depicts all 4 acts evenly but this is truly all Elvis. I'm sure this is old news for most but to discover this after it's been on a shelf collecting dust for years, is like finding a treasure.

---

For those who do not know, three tape reels were delivered by Sam Phillips to various people after the December 4, 1956 jam, as a keepsake. Luckily, two sets surfaced. They were utilized to create the ultimate release from RCA -->

The Complete Million Dollar Quartet (RCA, September 19, 2006)
Instrumental (1:44) -> Jerry Lee Lewis
Love Me Tender (instrumental) (1:02) -> Jerry Lee Lewis
Jingle Bells (instrumental) (1:57) -> Jerry Lee Lewis
White Christmas (instrumental) (2:05) -> Jerry Lee Lewis
Reconsider Baby (2:45)
Don't Be Cruel (2:20)
Paralyzed (3:00)
Don't Be Cruel (0:36)
There's No Place Like Home (3:36)
When The Saints Go Marching In (2:18)
Softly And Tenderly (2:42)
When God Dips His Love In My Heart (0:23)
Just A Little Talk With Jesus (4:09)
Jesus Walked That Lonesome Valley (3:28)
I Shall Not Be Moved (3:49)
Peace In The Valley (1:33)
Down By The Riverside (2:26)
I'm With A Crowd But So Alone (1:16)
Farther Along (2:08)
Blessed Jesus (Hold My Hand) (1:26)
As We Travel Along The Jericho Road (0:52)
I Just Can't Make It By Myself (1:04)
Little Cabin Home On The Hill (0:46)
Summertime Is Past And Gone (0:14)
I Hear A Sweet Voice Calling (0:36)
Sweetheart You Done Me Wrong (0:28)
Keeper Of The Key (2:08) -> Carl Perkins
Crazy Arms (0:17)
Don't Forbid Me (1:19)
Too Much Monkey Business (0:05)
Brown-Eyed Handsome Man (1:14)
Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind (0:37)
Brown-Eyed Handsome Man (1:53)
Don't Forbid Me (0:50)
You Belong To My Heart (1:10)
Is It So Strange (1:21)
That's When Your Heartaches Begin (4:58)
Brown Eyed Handsome Man (0:17)
Rip It Up (0:23)
I'm Gonna Bid My Blues Goodbye (0:55)
Crazy Arms (3:36) -> Jerry Lee Lewis
That's My Desire (2:02) -> Jerry Lee Lewis
End Of The Road (1:44) -> Jerry Lee Lewis
Black Bottom Stomp (1:11) -> Jerry Lee Lewis
You're The Only Star In My Blue Heaven (1:12) -> Jerry Lee Lewis
Elvis Says Goodbye (0:40)

All leads are Elvis, save those marked in red.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:36 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:The WMA file is well-done. The reverb is unobstrusive, too. Thanks for sharing.

---

"Brown-Eyed Handsome Man" is the only song from the jam with a lot of stops and starts, and a different lyric each time. Didn't you say you finally listened to the Million Dollar Quartet CD in your collection?

ElvisTheKid wrote:Although I've seen the Broadway play twice, I've always delayed listening to the original MDQ album. Mainly because I though it wasn't easy listening. Poor quality combined with gibberish in-between and during songs always scared me away from listening to it. I feared not being able to identify Elvis. Finally I had to cave because I knew I'd never be a real Elvis fan without knowing this album…..

The first thing I did rip the CD onto my PC and edited each track to just the song itself (no talking before and after). I then got rid of all the couple other songs that weren't Elvis (Carl & Jerry) and the instrumentals. This brought it down to about 30 songs. I burnt it back onto a disc, held my breath, and gave it a listen…..

Well I couldn't have been more wrong. The quality was actually pretty good. It's 90% Elvis and you can tell its ELVIS. The songs were all Great!!!!! After that, I just switched back to the original CD. That talking I called gibberish was absolutely brilliant especially Elvis talking about Don't Be Cruel.

In My Opinion, this rivals the 68 Comeback Special. Obviously not comparable for multiple reasons but when you break it down to the rawness, it's just another notch with clarity as to how great Elvis really was. I want more of this.

I spent all this time learning the Home Recordings, I Wonder I Wonder I Wonder and Number 8, while this Masterpiece was sitting on my shelf. The play depicts all 4 acts evenly but this is truly all Elvis. I'm sure this is old news for most but to discover this after it's been on a shelf collecting dust for years, is like finding a treasure.

---

For those who do not know, three tape reels were delivered by Sam Phillips to various people after the December 4, 1956 jam, as a keepsake. Luckily, two sets surfaced. They were utilized to create the ultimate release from RCA -->

The Complete Million Dollar Quartet (RCA, September 19, 2006)
Instrumental (1:44) -> Jerry Lee Lewis
Love Me Tender (instrumental) (1:02) -> Jerry Lee Lewis
Jingle Bells (instrumental) (1:57) -> Jerry Lee Lewis
White Christmas (instrumental) (2:05) -> Jerry Lee Lewis
Reconsider Baby (2:45)
Don't Be Cruel (2:20)
Paralyzed (3:00)
Don't Be Cruel (0:36)
There's No Place Like Home (3:36)
When The Saints Go Marching In (2:18)
Softly And Tenderly (2:42)
When God Dips His Love In My Heart (0:23)
Just A Little Talk With Jesus (4:09)
Jesus Walked That Lonesome Valley (3:28)
I Shall Not Be Moved (3:49)
Peace In The Valley (1:33)
Down By The Riverside (2:26)
I'm With A Crowd But So Alone (1:16)
Farther Along (2:08)
Blessed Jesus (Hold My Hand) (1:26)
As We Travel Along The Jericho Road (0:52)
I Just Can't Make It By Myself (1:04)
Little Cabin Home On The Hill (0:46)
Summertime Is Past And Gone (0:14)
I Hear A Sweet Voice Calling (0:36)
Sweetheart You Done Me Wrong (0:28)
Keeper Of The Key (2:08) -> Carl Perkins
Crazy Arms (0:17)
Don't Forbid Me (1:19)
Too Much Monkey Business (0:05)
Brown-Eyed Handsome Man (1:14)
Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind (0:37)
Brown-Eyed Handsome Man (1:53)
Don't Forbid Me (0:50)
You Belong To My Heart (1:10)
Is It So Strange (1:21)
That's When Your Heartaches Begin (4:58)
Brown Eyed Handsome Man (0:17)
Rip It Up (0:23)
I'm Gonna Bid My Blues Goodbye (0:55)
Crazy Arms (3:36) -> Jerry Lee Lewis
That's My Desire (2:02) -> Jerry Lee Lewis
End Of The Road (1:44) -> Jerry Lee Lewis
Black Bottom Stomp (1:11) -> Jerry Lee Lewis
You're The Only Star In My Blue Heaven (1:12) -> Jerry Lee Lewis
Elvis Says Goodbye (0:40)

All leads are Elvis, save those marked in red.

Your response has absolutely NOTHING to do with the question I asked. I did something very similar using Nero but not as good as the posted version. I asked why not the entire album? aka Don't Be Cruel.......

Question: During the Don't Be Cruel talk session, someone asks E to do Paralyzed in a different version and E says that he can't do it that way. Does anyone know what type of version they are referring to?

Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:35 am

ElvisTheKid wrote:Your response has absolutely NOTHING to do with the question I asked.

What planet do you live on? You asked two questions. I answered both.

drjohncarpenter wrote:"Brown-Eyed Handsome Man" is the only song from the jam with a lot of stops and starts, and a different lyric each time.

Get with the program, boy!

Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:55 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ElvisTheKid wrote:Your response has absolutely NOTHING to do with the question I asked.

What planet do you live on? You asked two questions. I answered both.

drjohncarpenter wrote:"Brown-Eyed Handsome Man" is the only song from the jam with a lot of stops and starts, and a different lyric each time.

Get with the program, boy!

It might be the most but not the only. Trust me, I just basically did the same thing to the ENTIRE album .....

And my third question was never answered about Paralyzed

Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:33 am

Good job elvisalisellers!

elvisalisellers wrote:Here's a tighter edit of the memorable [stop-start] Million Dollar Quartet, Chuck Berry jam, from Dec. '56.
Whilst obviously not a studio master, in this new format [that has a touch of reverb applied], it makes for a more concise and easier listen.

Oh the reverb!

That's what was missing on my Tiger Man (edit remix) which didn't get any comment. :cry:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68229
Last edited by On Stage on Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:59 am

ElvisTheKid wrote:And my third question was never answered about Paralyzed

My take on the conversation concerning Paralyzed during the MDQ session is this:
You hear Elvis refer to the slower rendition of Don't Be Cruel that Jackie Wilson performed as part of Billy Ward and his Dominoes. Elvis then says that he thought about singing Paralyzed in the same slower tempo.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:41 am

elvisalisellers wrote:Here's a tighter edit of the memorable [stop-start] Million Dollar Quartet, Chuck Berry jam, from Dec. '56.
This is truly history in the making and lest we forget, are extremely lucky to be able to eavesdrop on.
Hope you enjoy - all 77 seconds of it!

Brown Eyed Handsome Man (re-edit)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/anyrcg

Sun Studio, Dec. 4th 1956

Nicely done,thanks for sharing

Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:42 pm

mjsantafe wrote:
ElvisTheKid wrote:And my third question was never answered about Paralyzed

My take on the conversation concerning Paralyzed during the MDQ session is this:
You hear Elvis refer to the slower rendition of Don't Be Cruel that Jackie Wilson performed as part of Billy Ward and his Dominoes. Elvis then says that he thought about singing Paralyzed in the same slower tempo.

I thought the same thing too initially but Elvis does slow it down and wants to go even slower when he initially sings it. To me, it would be in the same fashion as Don't Be Cruel.

And to the initial poster, excellent job with the edit. Having a version with just singing and no talking would be a neat thing to have. You should consider trying to edit the entire album in such a way.
I did. It comes in handy when you can't focus on conversation but just want to hear music, like at work.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:45 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Can't download it sadly. Youtube it perhaps?

Me neither. Seems a waste of time with all this fapping about.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:03 pm

Good job, elvisalisellers! ::rocks

Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:23 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:Try this link:
http://www34.zippyshare.com/v/9149037/file.html

After about 10 minutes, all I got to do was complete some childish maze!!!!!????

Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:38 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:The WMA file is well-done. The reverb is unobstrusive, too. Thanks for sharing.

On Stage wrote:Good job elvisalisellers!

keninlincs wrote:Nicely done,thanks for sharing

ElvisTheKid wrote:....excellent job with the edit.

luckyjackson1 wrote:Good job, elvisalisellers!

Thanks for the cool comments, appreciate it.

It's tempting to wonder what job the reinvigorated Elvis of late 1967 would have made of this track, when it was pencilled in for recording at the cancelled sessions of August 22-23.
My guess would be it being a winner, possibly in the same mould of his splendid rockabilly update of Berry's Too Much Monkey Business, from a few months later.

P.S. Sorry to learn of your recent loss, luckyjackson1.