Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

undubbed, unedited Moody Blue master

Wed May 07, 2003 8:10 am

Is there a release which features a better sounding version of the unedited, undubbed Moody Blue master take than the one heard on Elvis Among Friends? I love that! One of the "Tell me who I'm talkin' to"s toward the end where he sings it in a higher key is just so cool and should have been worked into the released version. But the David Briggs tape isn't great quality, although it is better than nothing, and actually quite good if it was in fact recorded from a tape recorder in the room. But I still have to wonder...I don't guess the recording from the original session tapes has surfaced? I know things (America The Beautiful, the X-rated Hurt, for example) have been recorded over, but they would not have recorded over the original master takes, would they? Is it just a matter of their not having ever "slipped out"?

If anyone is not familiar with this version, you can and should give it a listen at http://www.jordans-elvis-world.com/audi ... riends.htm (thanks, Jordan).

Wed May 07, 2003 9:52 am

Have you tried the version (Moody Blue) on
More Pure Elvis (the lost album) by Bilko.
Not a bad version. It's 4 mins and 9 secs long.
A nice CD. In good quality.
All songs recorded from accetate/test pressing.
The only known copy in existence. That's what the Cd says anyway. :D

8)

Wed May 07, 2003 11:10 am

Yeah, it's on the more pure elvis album from Bilko. I also believe it's on the songs to sing album.

Wed May 07, 2003 4:14 pm

Thanks, I'll have to check those out.

Wed May 07, 2003 6:29 pm

"More Pure Elvis" Bilko release runs at the wrong speed if I remember correct."Songs to sing" has the best version of Moody blue extended master take

Wed May 07, 2003 6:33 pm

Curtis@Norway wrote:"More Pure Elvis" Bilko release runs at the wrong speed if I remember correct."Songs to sing" has the best version of Moody blue extended master take

It sounded OK to me. Is it to fast or to slow? I can't tell.

:?

Wed May 07, 2003 7:52 pm

For as far as I know the More Pure Elvis version runs at the correct speed, guys. It's the same version as on the Songs To Sings CD. The More Pure Elvis versions fades out just a little bit later, just over 4 min. As on Songs To Sing it fades out at about 3.54 min.

Sonny

Wed May 07, 2003 7:58 pm

Altough"The lost album"(Bilko)is a fantastic album,it sounds to me also it's a bit too slow.
All the tracks have this "problem",but it's better to have them in this way than nothing at all.

Wed May 07, 2003 8:43 pm

My only problem with those releases is that they're missing backup singers - perhaps these acetates were done from versions considered for "Our Memories Of Elvis"?

The "Elvis Among Friends" version is longest (if I remember right) and has all instrumentation... shame about the quality, though..

Thu May 08, 2003 12:12 am

I think the Elvis among friends is only longer because it has chatter at the beggining before the song starts. I might be wrong but I think this is why.

Thu May 08, 2003 12:25 am

MikeMcCoy wrote:-
My only problem with those releases is that they're missing backup singers - perhaps these acetates were done from versions considered for "Our Memories Of Elvis"

Probably not acetates in 1977 when a cassette would suffice - but test pressing - yes. That would be logical. Both for engineering reasons and to convince doubters that such a project would be feasible - listener wise.

Re: undubbed, unedited Moody Blue master

Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:30 pm

All versions for this album turn with a slow pitch (probably the same problem as songs to sing), all songs have 1/2 tone to slow, and the last song have 1 tone to slow.

Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:32 am

Holy necroposting, Batman! Wow. this thread brings back memories - back when I used to post as Mike Mccoy!

Crazy to think of what all has changed in 11 years. :)

On topic, the version of FTD's 2-CD version of "Our Memories of Elvis" is pretty awesome.

Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:34 pm

JamieAKelley wrote:Holy necroposting, Batman! Wow. this thread brings back memories - back when I used to post as Mike Mccoy!

Crazy to think of what all has changed in 11 years. :)

On topic, the version of FTD's 2-CD version of "Our Memories of Elvis" is pretty awesome.

My favorite version is the complete and overdubbed one....first released on Live,Live;live cd then on Venus....both bootlegs BTW

Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:16 pm

LSP-4445 wrote:
My favorite version is the complete and overdubbed one....first released on Live,Live;live cd then on Venus....both bootlegs BTW

Love this one, too...hasn`t it been released elsewhere meanwhile..?

Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:05 pm

Ciscoking wrote:
LSP-4445 wrote:

Love this one, too...hasn`t it been released elsewhere meanwhile..?

Not that I know of,the version on MB-FTD are faded and also a different mix (cd2 track 19)