"Electronically Reprocessed Stereo"

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

billyblues
Registered for: 13 years 9 months

Re: "Electronically Reprocessed Stereo"

Post by billyblues »

I have a few of the brazilian LPs and CDs from the 80's/early 90's which were "electronically reprocessed stereo". I actually enjoyed the sound as a kid! So when I listen to them nowadays I have some pretty good memories.

Thank you, Blue River. Thank you, rjm. Thank you, Ken.

When In Rome
Registered for: 12 years 3 months

Post by When In Rome »

REBL wrote:It seems that no one here has an inkling about 'reprocessed Stereo' LPs and how they are made .......................... THEY ARE MONO...............ONE of the 2 channels is mono and the other channel is 'echoed' then they offset the TWO channels to create a further 'echo' effect there are several ways to listen to the mono track ONLY a. if you have an old amp like I do which will let you (select) listen to 'left','right' or 'both' channels you can then listen to the channel which has the mono only sound.
b. with a 'y' splitter available at any circuit city type store plug it in to the back of your amp/reciever. you will need the type that has 1male split to 2 female. plug your 2 males into the 2 females plug your single male into the left or right output where you removed other cable from ............ you will get either mono sound or echoey sound.
That is true in some cases (my eighties re-issue vinyl 'King Creole' and 'Elvis' are like this) but on my 'For Lp fans Only' and 'A Date with Elvis' German club edition CD's the electronically reprocessed stereo has the lows (bass) phased to one speaker and the treble (high's) phased to the other then the whole track is completely drowned in reverb and compression that sounds like Elvis was singing from the bottom of a well or something!! On my 'Elvis Golden Records' and 'Loving You' vinyl re-issues from the eighties the tracks are almost mono but have a slight reverb through one of the speakers, particularly noticeable on the sibilance on any 'S's in the songs. That is why I asked earlier did 'ERS' evolve or did perhaps different countries have different ways of preparing it...

Well, Good evenin', don't that sun look good goin' down...

REBL
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Post by REBL »

I can only speak of the Canadian issues; the ealiest LPs didn't modify the bass or treble as far as I remember, all I have left are a few of the '77 re-issues and haven't play more than a smidgen as I have them all in original mono at least the first dozen? my blue hawaii is even in mono. No I don't have the Speedway or gold 4 in mono sorry.

We call it 'Lying'..... Advertisers and politicians call it 'Creative Thinking'; So what is this teaching our kids, and grandkids?

billyblues

Post by billyblues »

When In Rome wrote: That is true in some cases (my eighties re-issue vinyl 'King Creole' and 'Elvis' are like this) but on my 'For Lp fans Only' and 'A Date with Elvis' German club edition CD's...
These two were released here in Brazil back in the 90's too and are part of what I mentioned in my previous post. It really sounds like if Elvis is singing from the bottom of a well!

I enjoyed it as a kid, though! :lol:

Andy-M
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Andy-M »

billyblues wrote:
When In Rome wrote: That is true in some cases (my eighties re-issue vinyl 'King Creole' and 'Elvis' are like this) but on my 'For Lp fans Only' and 'A Date with Elvis' German club edition CD's...
These two were released here in Brazil back in the 90's too and are part of what I mentioned in my previous post. It really sounds like if Elvis is singing from the bottom of a well!

I enjoyed it as a kid, though! :lol:

Can you name these BRAZIL RCA BMG CDs?
Are ALL songs in Electronic Stereo or only part of the songs?

billyblues

Post by billyblues »

They're brazilian releases of "Fans Only" (with the blue background cover as released on LP in the 80's, not the original from '59) and "Date", both with the original tracklistings (I reckon there are 90's versions with more songs included).

As far as I can tell from the sound, they're electronic stereo all the way, just like the LPs. Bottom of a well echo and all. I have a lot of the brazilian CD releases from the late 80's/early 90's but I don't remember any other album being electronic stereo with maybe "Elvis" (1956) being the other exception. Long time I don't listen to them, I have to check.

I ripped both releases mentioned here to mp3 some time ago. Let me know if you want samples.

Edit: because of the exciting new discovery we had a few days ago, here's "I Forgot To Remember To Forget" from the brazilian edition of "A Date With Elvis". Let me know if I'm right about the sound:
http://www.mediafire.com/?cbyymbrcibnk097

promiseland
Registered for: 12 years 11 months

Post by promiseland »

"Stereo effect reprocessed from monophonic" is the next best thing ever done by man next to the Wheel! :smt020

Andy-M

Post by Andy-M »

Thanks for your information.

In Germany, the FANS ONLY CD + A Date With Elvis CD exist as Electronic Stereo releases as RCA Club Edition CDs from the late 80s.
They are limited to 1000 pices.

billyblues wrote:They're brazilian releases of "Fans Only" (with the blue background cover as released on LP in the 80's, not the original from '59) and "Date", both with the original tracklistings (I reckon there are 90's versions with more songs included).

As far as I can tell from the sound, they're electronic stereo all the way, just like the LPs. Bottom of a well echo and all. I have a lot of the brazilian CD releases from the late 80's/early 90's but I don't remember any other album being electronic stereo with maybe "Elvis" (1956) being the other exception. Long time I don't listen to them, I have to check.

I ripped both releases mentioned here to mp3 some time ago. Let me know if you want samples.

Edit: because of the exciting new discovery we had a few days ago, here's "I Forgot To Remember To Forget" from the brazilian edition of "A Date With Elvis". Let me know if I'm right about the sound:

KingElvis
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by KingElvis »

billyblues wrote:I have a lot of the brazilian CD releases from the late 80's/early 90's
"I Forgot To Remember To Forget" from the brazilian edition of "A Date With Elvis". Let me know if I'm right about the sound:
Link doesnt work.
I wonder what titles that you have from late 80's/early 90's ?

billyblues

Post by billyblues »

KingElvis wrote:
billyblues wrote:I have a lot of the brazilian CD releases from the late 80's/early 90's
"I Forgot To Remember To Forget" from the brazilian edition of "A Date With Elvis". Let me know if I'm right about the sound:
Link doesnt work.
It's working fine here!
I can compile a list if you wish. Is there any brazilian release that can be considered "rare" or something?
The list goes like this (sort of in chronological order) and I'm sorry for not providing all the info as possible now. They are still in the countryside with my mother as I trust in her to take care of my items, so I'll miss a few details. Also, I'm not including late 90's releases, only the earlier ones:

*Elvis Presley
*Elvis
*Christmas Album (wonderful booklet with all the pics!)
*For LP Fans Only
*A Date With Elvis
*50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong
*Elvis Is Back!
*G.I. Blues (including both "Tonight Is So Right For Love" and "Tonight's All Right For Love")
*Blue Hawaii
*His Hand In Mine (the "heaven" cover and possibly bonus tracks, but I'm not sure)
*Pot Luck
*How Great Thou Art (includes a few bonus tracks, I believe)
*NBC TV Special
*Gold Records vol. 4
*From Elvis In Memphis
*In Person
*That's The Way It Is
*Now
*As Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis
*Promised Land
*The Sun Sessions
*Moody Blue

These are the official releases from '56 to '77 which I have from the earlier portion of the 90's/late 80's. Then there are late 90's releases and re-releases, a few compilations (Stereo '57, The Legend Begins, Good Rockin' Tonight - The Best of Elvis, etc) and some bizarre "double album" with both He Touched Me and Good Times. So I repeat: this is only the official material from '56 to '77 as released in Brazil in their original editions. I feel sorry that I missed a few more which were avaible back then like MSG, Raised On Rock, Elvis (Fool Album) and others... But then again I was just a kid and thought it was OK since I already had them on vinyl (with the only exception being TTWII, since it was the first album I ever heard from Elvis, it was - and still is - my favorite one and I really wanted it as CD too).

KingElvis
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by KingElvis »

billyblues wrote:
KingElvis wrote:
Link doesnt work.
It's working fine here!
I can compile a list if you wish. Is there any brazilian release that can be considered "rare" or something?
The list goes like this (sort of in chronological order) and I'm sorry for not providing all the info as possible now. They are still in the countryside with my mother as I trust in her to take care of my items, so I'll miss a few details. Also, I'm not including late 90's releases, only the earlier ones:

*Elvis Presley
*Elvis
*Christmas Album (wonderful booklet with all the pics!)
*For LP Fans Only
*A Date With Elvis
*50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong
*Elvis Is Back!
*G.I. Blues (including both "Tonight Is So Right For Love" and "Tonight's All Right For Love")
*Blue Hawaii
*His Hand In Mine (the "heaven" cover and possibly bonus tracks, but I'm not sure)
*Pot Luck
*How Great Thou Art (includes a few bonus tracks, I believe)
*NBC TV Special
*Gold Records vol. 4
*From Elvis In Memphis
*In Person
*That's The Way It Is
*Now
*As Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis
*Promised Land
*The Sun Sessions
*Moody Blue

These are the official releases from '56 to '77 which I have from the earlier portion of the 90's/late 80's. Then there are late 90's releases and re-releases, a few compilations (Stereo '57, The Legend Begins, Good Rockin' Tonight - The Best of Elvis, etc) and some bizarre "double album" with both He Touched Me and Good Times. So I repeat: this is only the official material from '56 to '77 as released in Brazil in their original editions. I feel sorry that I missed a few more which were avaible back then like MSG, Raised On Rock, Elvis (Fool Album) and others... But then again I was just a kid and thought it was OK since I already had them on vinyl (with the only exception being TTWII, since it was the first album I ever heard from Elvis, it was - and still is - my favorite one and I really wanted it as CD too).
Thanks for the list.....is the Golden records 2 a "stereo" version?

Link doesnt work here....says Permission Denied.

billyblues

Post by billyblues »

That's weird. I'll check if there's something wrong with my account. But here it's working fine.

You made a good question about that album but I can't answer it right now. I really don't remember as it's been ages since I last listened to it (and most of my CD collection) and I don't have it in my hands right now...

As soon as I'm able to go there take a look, I'll let you know.

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

billyblues wrote:That's weird. I'll check if there's something wrong with my account. But here it's working fine.

You made a good question about that album but I can't answer it right now. I really don't remember as it's been ages since I last listened to it (and most of my CD collection) and I don't have it in my hands right now...

As soon as I'm able to go there take a look, I'll let you know.

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

billyblues

Post by billyblues »

Ah, damn.

Gotta find a workaround that, wait a minute.
Edit: Here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sapt6a9gjmoui9n
The funny thing is that my MF account indicates 3 downloads of the "permission denied" file. How?