Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: "If You Talk In Your Sleep"

Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:37 am

Daryl wrote:The 1984 mix with Elvis laughing on the fade-out is the best version. The sly laugh Elvis gives makes you think Elvis would actually tell a women all these things (If you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name...if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came).

Ironically, of course, it was Elvis himself who was known to occasionally talk and often walk in his sleep.

Which does suggest the question: Who is Elvis singing to?

His lover or himself?

Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:36 pm

Andy-M wrote:The very 1st thing I have noticed while hearing these nice 84 pressings was the Original MIX and not edited out long Piano Intro on RAGS TO RICHES !

Very nice to hear.

Also it incl. the Original Spliced Master of A Big Hunk O Love. !!

Don't Cry Daddy MONO MASTER !

Suspicious Minds Overdub Version
And ALL without this LOUDNESS WAR
etc etc

dennyelvis wrote:I also have these from 84 Elvis Presley The Collection Volume 1 - 4

That's All Right
Heartbreak Hotel
I Was The One
Blue Suede Shoes
My Baby Left Me
I Want You, I Need You, I Love You
Hound Dog
Don't Be Cruel
Love Me Tender
Love Me
All Shook Up
That's When Your Heartaches Begin
(There'll Be) Peace In The Valley For Me
One Night
Loving You

Teddy Bear
Party
Jailhouse Rock
Don't
King Creole
Wear My Ring Around Your Neck
A Big Hunk O'Love
A Fool Such As I
My Wish Came True
I Got Stung
It's Now Or Never
Stuck On You
The Girl Of My Best Friend
A Mess Of Blues
Are You Lonesome Tonight?

Wooden Heart
Surrender
Wild In The Country
Can't Help Falling In Love
Rock A Hula Baby
(Marie's The Name) His Latest Flame
Follow That Dream
Good Luck Charm
She's Not You
Return To Sender
(You're The) Devil In Disguise
Bossa Nova Baby
Such A Night
Crying In The Chapel
Love Letters

Guitar Man
US Male
If I Can Dream
In The Ghetto
Suspicious Minds
Don't Cry Daddy
The Wonder Of You
You Don't Have To Say You Love Me
There Goes My Everything
Rags To Riches
I Just Can't Help Believin'
An American Trilogy
Burning Love
Always On My Mind
It's Only Love

anything of interest in the mixes on these early cd releases ?

Thanx for the info, sometimes u forget how the early releases sounded, like the echo on Heartbreak H, i believe thats been reduced on newer masterings ?

Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:46 am

Great CD, Great MIX!! Especially the 1st Pressing RCA CDs 8)

elvis-fan wrote:I enjoy the mix found on Elvis' Gold Records Volume 5... very clean, little reverb on his voice.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:48 am

elvisalisellers wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:I enjoy the mix found on Elvis' Gold Records Volume 5... very clean, little reverb on his voice.

Which edition of GR5 do you have?
The "remastered" edition [with bonus tracks] from 1997, featured the remix taken from the 70's masters.
The earlier original incarnation [from 1984], is also said to include another remix [Dick Bogert], but alas, I've yet to hear it.

Have you heard this version? This Dick Boger MIX?

Fantastic 8)

Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:01 pm

George Smith wrote:
Daryl wrote:The 1984 mix with Elvis laughing on the fade-out is the best version. The sly laugh Elvis gives makes you think Elvis would actually tell a women all these things (If you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name...if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came).

Ironically, of course, it was Elvis himself who was known to occasionally talk and often walk in his sleep.

Which does suggest the question: Who is Elvis singing to?

His lover or himself?

That alone gave him good credentials to be a good undercover agent at large.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:28 pm

Love the song on the new PROMISED LAND FTD – great live versions on the notorious 'Desert Storm' and 'Black Angels in Vegas' imports...

Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:12 pm

ian wrote:Well the karate he did to this song was spectacular in the concert that I saw on tv. 8)

Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:52 am

Andy-M wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:

Which edition of GR5 do you have?
The "remastered" edition [with bonus tracks] from 1997, featured the remix taken from the 70's masters.
The earlier original incarnation [from 1984], is also said to include another remix [Dick Bogert], but alas, I've yet to hear it.

Have you heard this version? This Dick Boger MIX?

Fantastic 8)

Yes, I managed to get hold of this CD a few weeks back.
The audio is quite impressive - especially for the period.

Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:21 am

elvis-fan wrote:I've not heard this mix nor do I know where it's from...

phpBB [video]

Good clip, thanks for posting.

This song is always been very awkward for me. The song is definitely trying to do the funky thing but I think "I Got A Feelin' In My Body" achieves it better than what is happening here. The mix of horns with the rather awkward beat really makes it tough to get into a groove here. The less said about the live renditions he did briefly in '74--the better. The lyrics are a slight departure (in a good direction) for Elvis so that's a plus, but the whole package doesn't work, in my book.

Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:44 am

Used to love it, but it's gone out of my favourites list these days. Not sure why, though, so this is a pretty useless post!

Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:48 am

poormadpeter wrote:Used to love it, but it's gone out of my favourites list these days. Not sure why, though, so this is a pretty useless post!

Just like the last 1929 you've made!

Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:05 am

You have to be careful with this song if it hits too close to home! ::rocks

Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:01 pm

I always read this everywhere. How much different does it sound?
I have the 1997 version.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:54 pm

JimmyCool wrote:

I always read this everywhere. How much different does it sound?
I have the 1997 version.

It's quite different!
Especially the last 30-45 sec.

Very clear sound without compression.
Just get the 80s Gold Records Vol.5 CD and you will understand what I mean.

Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:53 am

scottngeorgia wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:I find this recording one of Elvis' best from the 1970's. in this case, the overdubbed strings,horns and background vocals were crucial (well produced by Jarvis) to the song's funky arrangement. The only fault I find is the (what seems to me) glorification of adultery in the lyrics. Maybe too close for comfort? ::rocks

+1 but don't try to preach morality around here the masses will stone u or make fun of you !

Scott Ray

Morality plurality joviality, whatever....the more important question is can you talk and walk in your sleep at the same time?

Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:46 am

:D
Last edited by JimmyCool on Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:44 pm

Just found my original cassette of "Elvis' Gold Records, Vol. 5" and, while strange in it's song selections, and a bit paltry with only 10 tracks, the mix on "If You Talk In Your Sleep" is great, a little dry sounding, but much better than the record that came out in '74, then again in '75 on the "Promised Land" Lp.

Strange that RCA put in, supposedly, extra added promo for this 45rpm at radio and got their record to climb to an impressive #17 in Billboard, yet, is heavily unrecognizable to the average fan, even Elvis fans !

I spoke with an old friend of mine, and his older brother, who was a high school student when the record was released in '74 and recalls that Elvis' newest single was, "off the wall", (cool), when some younger kids in school first heard it.

A pity Elvis didn't take more chances and more authority over his record releases and made more careful arranging choices that might appeal to more of a younger demographic. Just 7 more spots and it could have given Elvis his next Top 10 !!! :wtf:

Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:56 pm

My favourite version always been the live ones, Ive never heard the golden records mix version thou