Coolest flea market EVER!

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Tony..
Registered for: 12 years 3 months

Re: Coolest flea market EVER!

Post by Tony.. »

poormadpeter wrote:I, too, agree that some of the thrill has gone out of collecting records since the internet. No more do we wait years searching fairs and shops for the elusive CD to appear, we just look on ebay and choose from 6 copies. Bearing this in mind, I recently set up my decent turntable once again, thinking that I could get back that thrill from hunting down those elusive not-on-cd albums, but again I could just hop onto ebay and buy them if I wanted to. I remember the absolute thrill of finding the Bobby Darin direction albums (about a year apart) in decent condition in fairs, prior to their release on CD when |I was in my early twenties. Without the web, they were difficult to find in the UK. That buzz has gone, probably forever, from collecting anything as the web hands it to us on a plate. Sure the web has given us so much, but it has taken away little thrills like this too.

That's true, but it's one of the reasons the Elvis Shop in London was such a great place to visit and now the London collectors fairs have started so now you will get a whole big room filled up with nothing but beautiful ELVIS goodies. The first one (held in London) proved to be mega popular. Try and pay a visit on May 26th.

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

Tony.. I'm not saying the fairs don't exist. I'm saying that there is no fun in them. If I want a record, I can find it on ebay or amazon or ioffer or wherever and buy it. There's no need to wait and hunt for things anymore. The fun of that is gone.

Conversely, I broke a mug on Sunday night. It was a present from a ver dear friend who passed away 15 years ago (there were many tears on Sunday over the mug!). It can be restored, but not used again. So, I thought I'd try to find another and use the new one while using the old one for perhaps a plant or something like that. Nowhere to be found. So, now, there will be that endless hunt when I go to car boots or flea markets etc to find another. The hunt for the mug will be a very different experience than if I had just turned on a computer and been managed to find one I could buy from another part of the country.

What I'm trying to say is that with Elvis and music in general, the thrill of the hunt has gone.

greystoke

Post by greystoke »

I used to buy my imports from a place called The Spinning Disc in London -- the guy who ran the store, Terry, seemed like a gentleman and always had plenty of time for me on the phone, going through whatever new releases he had, or stock that had come in since we last spoke. He would throw me the occassional freebie, too. I really enjoyed the personal touch from someone I never even met, or whose store I never managed to set foot in -- nowadays, it's just so easy to seek on-line the best price for whatever one desires and click to purchase. Nothing wrong with that, of course; just the nature of shopping has changed so dramatically with the advent of the internet -- especially when on-line prices can differ quite considerably to what one finds in shops. And that may well extend to markets and various traders.

Speaking of vinyl, when in HMV today, I noticed a new display of LPs above the various CD sections for country, jazz, easy listening, blues, classical, etc. Separate Ways and the 1980s It's Now or Never LP were up there representing Elvis. A nice touch, I guess -- and such may spark a notion to purchase music from an artist they may not have been considering when first entering the store.

elvis56
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by elvis56 »

greystoke wrote:I used to buy my imports from a place called The Spinning Disc in London -- the guy who ran the store, Terry, seemed like a gentleman and always had plenty of time for me on the phone, going through whatever new releases he had, or stock that had come in since we last spoke. He would throw me the occassional freebie, too. I really enjoyed the personal touch from someone I never even met, or whose store I never managed to set foot in
man that brings back some memories, i used to on occasion shop there too. make a call for that 'special' rariety, then do a 50min horrible drive across town to go that little skinny shop with a till at the door - He, Terry was such a nice, helpful n honest guy
just made me remember the excitement of new recordings n takin along a sony cd walkman so i could play on the drive home as i just couldnt wait til i got home :lol:

greystoke

Post by greystoke »

elvis56 wrote:
greystoke wrote:I used to buy my imports from a place called The Spinning Disc in London -- the guy who ran the store, Terry, seemed like a gentleman and always had plenty of time for me on the phone, going through whatever new releases he had, or stock that had come in since we last spoke. He would throw me the occassional freebie, too. I really enjoyed the personal touch from someone I never even met, or whose store I never managed to set foot in
man that brings back some memories, i used to on occasion shop there too. make a call for that 'special' rariety, then do a 50min horrible drive across town to go that little skinny shop with a till at the door - He, Terry was such a nice, helpful n honest guy
just made me remember the excitement of new recordings n takin along a sony cd walkman so i could play on the drive home as i just couldnt wait til i got home :lol:
He passed away, sadly. I'm not sure if the shop is still trading or dealing in imports -- I think they stopped the latter soon after Terry's passing. I also remember the catalogue they used to send out -- nothing flash; just a typed-up booklet filled with lists of various CDs and VHS tapes, with the occassional photo-shopped picture for good measure.

elvis56
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by elvis56 »

greystoke wrote:
elvis56 wrote:
He passed away, sadly. I'm not sure if the shop is still trading or dealing in imports -- I think they stopped the latter soon after Terry's passing. I also remember the catalogue they used to send out -- nothing flash; just a typed-up booklet filled with lists of various CDs and VHS tapes, with the occassional photo-shopped picture for good measure.
ahhh thats proper sad - i remember the thrill of him saying, YES, i have 1 left (There's A Whole Lotta Shakin Goin On). 'im on my way, Do Not Sell It' lol
the most elusive cd of its kind at the time as it caused such a mess. wouldnt generally talk about such things but i guess he's in no danger where he is now & i did also buy the Essential vol4 upon release

Tony..
Registered for: 12 years 3 months

Post by Tony.. »

Yes, Terry was a diamond. I worked in Chiswick High Road for three years and every friday, after I got paid, I used to visit "Spinning Disc" and spend most of my cash that friday evening! Bootlegs, US singles and Elvis videos were among my main purchases from him, and he did give good discounts. I used to hang around in his shop for 2 hours sometimes chatting with him and other visiting Elvis fans.
I understand he passed away in his shop. I spoke to his wife a few times afterwards and she used to send me a catologue, but I'm not sure what she's doing these days. I believe the shop is now another Asian owned food store with the usual exorbitant prices and naff looking vegetables shoved outside on the pavement. :cry:

elvis_king
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by elvis_king »

nice

Topic author
JimmyCool
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Mood:

Post by JimmyCool »

A few more:

Note: This post is intended solely for FECC forum readers. Unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this post is strictly prohibited.

carloselvis
Registered for: 16 years 2 months

Post by carloselvis »

JimmyCool wrote:The largest flea market in Chile is the Persa Bío-Bío, set up all around the street Bío-Bío (Metro station Franklin, Line 2), partly roofed, partly on the street (open only Sat/Sun).

Jimmy is this shop still in buisniess? Do you know the exact address? Thanks!

You have everything here: precious antiques, furniture, private copies of music and software, etc.

And look what you can find for sale in a little stand and office over there:

How cool is that, huh?
And cheap prices and everything!

Johnny 99
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Johnny 99 »

Chile rocks - gotta get me over there, looks cool as...

''I'm a good guy, basically'' - Tony Soprano

''if I ever got to the place where I could feel all old Arthur felt, I’d be a music man like nobody ever saw.” - Elvis Presley (1956)