Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

analogue tapes for vinyl

Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:55 pm

why are they using digital again for vinyl?use vic's analogue tape transfers.not digital bs.burn the digital tape transfers.

Re: analogue tapes for vinyl

Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:16 pm

I wish FTD would release 78s!

Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:26 pm

ritchie valens wrote:why are they using digital again for vinyl?use vic's analogue tape transfers.not digital bs.burn the digital tape transfers.

That's a good point.

In an interview around early yhis century Vic said that all his remixing and remastering was done in analogue then transferred to digital.

I expect Abbey Rd is using digital transfers supplied by FTD converted back to analogue

Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:42 pm

Some informed comments on digital sources and vinyl:

If a record is mastered from a commercial CD that has already been mastered once, it is POINTLESS to get the vinyl.

However, if the vinyl is mastered from an UNMASTERED digital source, that might sound pretty good.

Please people, let's get our terminology straight here.

Digital recording = Great sound if done right. Amazing sound if done by an amazing engineer.

Digital recording to vinyl record (see above).

Digital recording mastered to a compact disk (could sound good or bad depending on the mastering).

Digital recording mastered to a compact disk and then that compact disk used to make a vinyl record INSTEAD of using the original digital mixes. BAD.

http://stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=274176

Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:24 am

May very well be, but all the FTD vinyl releases have superirior sound to anything I have heard before. I even prefer the masters on these releases over those on the TCM box. People complaining here are obviously not buyers of the vinyl because they know the vinyl sounds great.

Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:33 am

Whilst I would hold that an original analog recording should only be processed and mastered for vinyl entirely in the analog domain, IF the FTD sources are high resolution digital then they have the potential for superior reproduction on vinyl over their CD counterparts.

Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:10 pm

Matthew wrote:Whilst I would hold that an original analog recording should only be processed and mastered for vinyl entirely in the analog domain, IF the FTD sources are high resolution digital then they have the potential for superior reproduction on vinyl over their CD counterparts.

So the vinyl (coming from the same source=digital tape) should have a better reproduction of sound than the cd?WHY?

Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:45 am

No it's the same as hearing the dull cd mixes.Audiophile collectors don't like this method we buy vinyl trying to get away from digital but no some record companies don't say transferred from analogue or digital Why lie or play games?You would think they would listen to us by now WE DON'T WANT CD MASTERS USED FOR VINYL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SO QUIT!!!!!

Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:31 pm

ritchie valens wrote:No it's the same as hearing the dull cd mixes.Audiophile collectors don't like this method we buy vinyl trying to get away from digital but no some record companies don't say transferred from analogue or digital Why lie or play games?You would think they would listen to us by now WE DON'T WANT CD MASTERS USED FOR VINYL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SO QUIT!!!!!

They probably dont' read this forum.
They probably don't care.
They probably just want your money.

Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:45 pm

ekenee wrote:
ritchie valens wrote:No it's the same as hearing the dull cd mixes.Audiophile collectors don't like this method we buy vinyl trying to get away from digital but no some record companies don't say transferred from analogue or digital Why lie or play games?You would think they would listen to us by now WE DON'T WANT CD MASTERS USED FOR VINYL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SO QUIT!!!!!

They probably dont' read this forum.
They probably don't care.
They probably just want your money.

Probably all three! :smt006

Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:22 am

Matthew wrote:I wish FTD would release 78s!

Or better yet, release 8-Track tapes.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:33 am

Sort of almost off-topic: I bought the new vinyl Beatles' album "Please Please Me". It sounds great...there is bass where once there was a hint of bass, acoustic guitars I never heard before and it was mastered from a digital source...but at 24/192 (whatever that means...) and the sound is superb...much better than on cd.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:59 pm

Regarding the FTD vinyl:

I have contacted both Ernst and Abbey Road and asked for information on the sources for cutting the FTD vinyl. Ernst replied that he does not know as it is Roger Semon who handles that part of FTD. Abbey Road kindly replied as well, but would not give me the information needed (they are not allowed to according to the mail I got), and told me to contact FTD.

I do not have contact information to Roger Semon, but if anyone has his mail - please write him and ask about the FTD vinyl! Would be much appriciated :)

Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:18 pm

Mike DK wrote:Regarding the FTD vinyl:

I have contacted both Ernst and Abbey Road and asked for information on the sources for cutting the FTD vinyl. Ernst replied that he does not know as it is Roger Semon who handles that part of FTD. Abbey Road kindly replied as well, but would not give me the information needed (they are not allowed to according to the mail I got), and told me to contact FTD.

I do not have contact information to Roger Semon, but if anyone has his mail - please write him and ask about the FTD vinyl! Would be much appriciated :)

Do you not think that if FTD were using analogue tapes, they'd make a big deal about it?

Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:33 pm

matilda wrote:
Matthew wrote:Whilst I would hold that an original analog recording should only be processed and mastered for vinyl entirely in the analog domain, IF the FTD sources are high resolution digital then they have the potential for superior reproduction on vinyl over their CD counterparts.

So the vinyl (coming from the same source=digital tape) should have a better reproduction of sound than the cd?WHY?

If the original digital source is high resolution (higher than CD resolution) then yes, it could potentially sound better on vinyl, if mastered well.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:34 pm

Vinyl sourced from digital does not necessarily mean the vinyl has been sourced from a CD. C'mon!

Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:00 pm

matilda wrote:

About 20 years ago when cd's came commercially available i asked myself this same question,
It seemed vinyl sounded (despite the clicks) better than cd.

Back then i asked this question to an uncle of mine who was electrician but who also had a great interest in microphones and
tape recorders and he told me that a digital soundwave consists out of 0-1 wich greating a staircase like wafeform.
These staircase pieces wich are missing out of the digital soundwave give a noticeable lost in sound depth. He said that vinyl has
a smoother soundwave (there aren't pieces missing in the waveform) and because of that sound better.

Don't no if this is true, perhaps someone can verify this.

Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:55 pm

RonBaker2003 wrote:Sort of almost off-topic: I bought the new vinyl Beatles' album "Please Please Me". It sounds great...there is bass where once there was a hint of bass, acoustic guitars I never heard before and it was mastered from a digital source...but at 24/192 (whatever that means...) and the sound is superb...much better than on cd.

Is it the stereo version? If so, are the vocals still all in one channel and the instruments all in the other channel? That's what lets the first 2 or 3 Beatles albums down; they were, in effect, in binaural and sounded dreadful.

Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:49 am

The Pirate wrote:
Mike DK wrote:Regarding the FTD vinyl:

Do you not think that if FTD were using analogue tapes, they'd make a big deal about it?

I'm sure they are not using analouge sources for cutting their vinyl, but they might - at least on some releases, be using high resolution (meaning higher than cd resolution). Would be nice to get an official statement from FTD, although I think their answer lies in their silence on the matter (this very question has been asked many times since FTD started releasing vinyl).

Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:59 am

I wonder if the Elvis releases on collectables records on red vinyl use analogue for those?

Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:16 am

Unfortunatelly, all Elvis vinyl releases except "speakers corner" and "analog production" use digital sources for vinyl cutting.
They do say that they mastered some of the ftd from original us analog tapes, but the don't say how they mastered them.
If thehy had done it 100% analog all the way, thay would have said.

It's enough to compare any ftd vinyl to any 50's -80's "low budget" record and you will see the huge difference in sound. Ftd sound so much weaker, more flat and more digital like while those old records are warm, full of bass an life.

Save yourself money, listen digital from youtube and buy yourself old lps if you are into good sound!!!

Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:28 am

It depends on the quality of the source files as to whether a digitally sourced vinyl will be worth anything in the audio department. If the source audio is higher resolution than CD then arguably the vinyl can potentially sound really good.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:49 am

If they would only just go back to releasing 8-Tracks, you would be surprised just how many people on here would probably think they are the superior format also! :smt020
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:11 am

Oh yes, it's digital so it MUST be better!

Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:47 am

hli wrote:
matilda wrote:

About 20 years ago when cd's came commercially available i asked myself this same question,
It seemed vinyl sounded (despite the clicks) better than cd.

Back then i asked this question to an uncle of mine who was electrician but who also had a great interest in microphones and
tape recorders and he told me that a digital soundwave consists out of 0-1 wich greating a staircase like wafeform.
These staircase pieces wich are missing out of the digital soundwave give a noticeable lost in sound depth. He said that vinyl has
a smoother soundwave (there aren't pieces missing in the waveform) and because of that sound better.

Don't no if this is true, perhaps someone can verify this.

He was probably referring to this - http://www.centerpointaudio.com/Analog-VS-Digital.aspx
It's generally the reason vinyl sounds 'warmer' than cds, mp3 etc..