Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: MRS (EP) ‘Such A Night in Pearl Harbor’ Press release !

Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:09 pm

Chad Gates wrote:i,m getting this, It,s an upgraded ( Regardless of source) version of a great Elvis concert and comes with a 100 page book full of relevant pictures and will cost ten or eleven quid, What is there to be negative about ?.

That's the point. If you want a copy of the concert taken from the RCA CD, along with a book of re-purposed photos, then the MRS release is for you.

What is annoying is all the hosannas from the MRS fan-boys. Why not just call it what it is, instead of all the hype?

Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:15 pm

Master of Muppets wrote:
KingOfTheJungle wrote:
midnightx wrote:
BrianTCB wrote:OH MY GOD...I want this. I want this in such amazing sound quality. :smt007 :smt007 :smt007

We all want it in amazing sound quality. The source for this version, however, will be from the EAP box set. Don't expect a revelation.

Certainly memphisking will provide some spin on the issue, and clearly his attack dogs will defend this upcoming "rip" at all costs; but the reality is that this set will offer nothing new to fans who already have the show via the EAP box set or bootleg.

As usual, sound and fury signifying nothing.

ha ha , I dont see why they just dont copy and paste all their comments from previous MRS posts. It would sure save them having to write the same thing every time. And the Doc is still yet to be awakened on the far side of the planet. :lol: :lol:

Exactly. Sometimes this is the sh*t*iest and the most boring Elvis forum in the universe.

There are lot people out there who judge the sound before they have even listened the CD. Lord have mercy on their souls too.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:17 pm

Simon1 wrote:
Rob wrote:Well, I'm looking forward to it.

But, hey -- that's just me.

Good for you Rob! I'm looking forward to it myself as well, despite all the negativity that's spread around here.

I'm with you!

Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:30 pm

Looks like some here enjoy all the annoying fadings and drop outs on the well known source.
If that's corrected on this new release, and we'll soon find out, we have a winner here.

First or second generation tape is less of a big deal compared the problem mentioned above..

Cheers.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:45 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Chad Gates wrote:i,m getting this, It,s an upgraded ( Regardless of source) version of a great Elvis concert and comes with a 100 page book full of relevant pictures and will cost ten or eleven quid, What is there to be negative about ?.

That's the point. If you want a copy of the concert taken from the RCA CD, along with a book of re-purposed photos, then the MRS release is for you.

What is annoying is all the hosannas from the MRS fan-boys. Why not just call it what it is, instead of all the hype?

Why would you care?

We know your opinion is tainted.

There is an obvious jealousy that many have the Ernst didn't put his out first.

Live and let live. there is room for everybody.

Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:55 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Really big news would be the discovery and release of the 1961 Memphis shows. This will not be MRS.

Now we are talking business. Make yourself immortal Doc. Are you playing The Great Pretender again or do you really now where such a release is in the pipeline? :smt007

Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:04 am

Jealousy Ernst didn't put it out first? He could have released it numerous times over the past decade. Frankly, I am happy he didn't release it. It has been available for years. There doesn't appear to be an upgraded source available. I am happy that FTD has focused its efforts in other ways. Perhaps Sony is still figuring out the best way to reissue the '61 show in terms of what kind of project to associate it with. I personally never felt that a stand-alone release would have been that interesting.

Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:05 am

Again, a missed opportunity for FTD.

The MRS label has proven to produce excellent products, audio- and packaging wise.

Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:12 am

drjohncarpenter wrote: Really big news would be the discovery and release of the 1961 Memphis shows.

If this were to happen, it would be a momentous day for Elvis fans!

Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:19 am

Rtn 2 Sndr wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote: Really big news would be the discovery and release of the 1961 Memphis shows.

Until then, let's celebrate the recycling of the Hawaii show!

Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:36 am

Regarding the comments about sources. The "source" of the new remasters of the Elvis catalogue were the same "source" as those used for previous remasters, and yet most people would agree that the new remasters sound better, despite the source tapes being exactly the same. Certain home recordings sounded better in their 2000s issues, but the source material was exactly the same as those used in the 1980s issues. It's just that technology has moved on. It's not the source material which makes it better or worse, but what is done with it - and there is nothing to say that, even if the source for this new release is the EAP boxed set, with modern technology it can't be improved from that source.

As for midnightx's comment about the concert having been around for years - the EAP boxed set is long out of print and is now fetching relatively hefty prices of upwards of £50 for used copies. A lot of money for the limited amount of material on there which has not been released elsewhere.

I'm neither for or against MRS to be honest. I'm against slating a label because of personal prejudice, however. At the moment it appears to me that no-one actually know what this sounds like yet and, until we do, the arguments as to what sounds better is pretty pointless.

Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:49 am

midnightx wrote:
Rtn 2 Sndr wrote:

Until then, let's celebrate the recycling of the Hawaii show!

Yep, I'll celebrate by spinning my vinyl from Elvis Aron Presley ! :wink:

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:07 am

Another great one from MRS!....nice one!!

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:41 am

ekenee wrote:There is an obvious jealousy that many have the Ernst didn't put his out first.

How can there be? Ernst put it out first, in 1998:

Elvis Aron Presley (RCA/BMG 07863 67455, 1998)

Again, if you want a copy of the concert taken from this box set, along with a book of re-purposed photos, then the MRS release is for you.

Again, we don't need all the hosannas from the MRS fan-boys to sell the product. Just tell it like it is.

I hope this helps you.

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:42 am

I'll probably buy this release-especially if its very affordable!

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:58 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ekenee wrote:There is an obvious jealousy that many have the Ernst didn't put his out first.

Again, if you want a copy of the concert taken from this box set, along with a book of re-purposed photos, then the MRS release is for you.

Again, we don't need all the hosannas from the MRS fan-boys to sell the product. Just tell it like it is.

I hope this helps you.

You start to sound like a broken record.

People are enthusiastic about a potentially very promising release.
What did Joseph ever do to you that makes you sound so bitter whenever he releases anything.

Perhaps you should first wait and listen when it's released. You might even be pleasantly surprised.

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:58 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

I hope this helps you.

Well, Joan Deary put it out before Ernst in 1980 and Golden Archives Records put it out before Deary in 1978. Maybe one of those people who are so worried about bootlegs - which MRS is not - can start a thread where we can attack the Elvis' 1961 Hawaii Benefit Concert.

Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:11 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

I hope this helps you.

Didn't Joan Deary put out the Hawaii '61 show back in 1980. And didn't the show hit the bootleg market several years earlier in 1978 by Paul Dowling and Sam Theaker under the Golden Archives label.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dowling_v. ... ates_(1985)

http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/app ... 45/453999/

I spoke to Joe Tunzi this afternoon and he confirmed that the source of the MRS release is a tape source and is not from the 1998 BMG CD release.

I hope this helps you.

Daryl
Last edited by Daryl on Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:15 am

A very well known and respected European fan / collector once mentioned that when Joan Dreary put together the silver box set in 1980, the source used for the 1961 Hawaii show was a C60 cassette tape onto which a substandard copy had been copied for her. It is thought that the much superior reel to reel recording exists in better definition. IF MRS are using this tape, then the sound will be better. IF they have simply used the "EAP" box set version then there will be little difference.

Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:17 am

The more I read thread after thread the more distasteful the behind-the-scenes Elvis world seems, it serves to take a sheen off the products for sale.

Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:26 am

Matthew wrote:The more I read thread after thread the more distasteful the behind-the-scenes Elvis world seems, it serves to take a sheen off the products for sale.

Maybe you should switch over to following Wayne Newton or Englebert Humperdinck's music

For Wayne CD Collectors Only or For Englebert CD Collectors Only. Take your pick.

Daryl

Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:35 am

Thankfully Elvis' music means more to me than the childish cloak and daggers antics of the Elvis CD world! Look at this thread, we have two CD producers airing their dirty laundry in public.. how pathetic. He said, she said. Grow up and get some integrity already!

Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:38 am

Daryl wrote:Didn't Joan Deary put out the Hawaii '61 show back in 1980.

Not on CD, "Daryl."

And since the MRS disc will be sourced from the CD, this is why the 1998 CD box set was cited.

I hope this helps you.

Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:43 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Daryl wrote:Didn't Joan Deary put out the Hawaii '61 show back in 1980.

Not on CD, "Daryl."

And since the MRS disc will be sourced from the CD, this is why the 1998 CD box set was cited.

I hope this helps you.

Could you give us your proof that the material will be sourced from the boxed set? At the moment, you and others have given no more proof that it is coming from the EAP set than those who say it isn't.

Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:49 am

poormadpeter wrote:Could you give us your proof that the material will be sourced from the boxed set? At the moment, you and others have given no more proof that it is coming from the EAP set than those who say it isn't.

According to Daryl:

Daryl wrote:I spoke to Joe Tunzi this afternoon and he confirmed that the source of the MRS release is a tape source and is not from the 1998 BMG CD release.