MRS (EP) ‘Such A Night in Pearl Harbor’ Press release !

Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator1, Moderator2

Re: MRS (EP) ‘Such A Night in Pearl Harbor’ Press release !

Postby drjohncarpenter » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:16 pm

What this topic needs is less words and more smilies.

Can anyone help?
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!
drjohncarpenter

Postby Tony.. » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:22 pm

The way to get smiles is to buy this release, marvel at Elvis' fantastic performance whilst thumbing thru a great informative and picture laden book, while you wonder at how they improved the sound so very much, including no drop-outs, no clicking sounds, plenty of bass response...........
Tony..

Postby Tony.. » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:25 pm

robg wrote:you could be onto something there Tony

If only we could convince the MRSist 'Doc'!!! :wink:
Tony..

Postby ekenee » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:36 pm

stan from tintane wrote:Guys, all the doc wants you to say is that mrs lifted their audio from the RCA 1980 silver box set, simple really.
More to the point (in my opinion) is where did RCA lift their audio from in the first place?
I think the answer is bootleggers, don't you?

The fact that mrs has restored the audio content of the concert (from whatever source they got it from) is a mute point with the doc and you will not get an answer from him.

Bottom line is the doc and mrs do not get along, so what else do you expect?

At the end of the day mrs and boxcar are still around, that in itself (after all the legal wrangling) speaks volumes about mrs -and boxcar being a label for the fans from the fans.

That's all I got to say.

:smt006

It's odd really that the doctor would get all up in arms on a hunch. That's all it is is a hunch.
Yes, chances are they took the audio from the RCA cd but he has no proof.

In the Elvis world there always seems to be various sources of the same material, of which MRS could have had access to.

But, he also has doubts if there was any sound improvements, of which there truely was.

And I think my case is a good one concerning the fact that Ernst could have released it first had he not been
so concerned about releasing 1976 soundboards and soundtracks.

THe show was long overdue for an upgrade and Ernst could have and should have been working on it.
ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****

Postby Blue River » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:42 pm

stan from tintane wrote:Guys, all the doc wants you to say is that mrs lifted their audio from the RCA 1980 silver box set, simple really.
More to the point (in my opinion) is where did RCA lift their audio from in the first place?

The fact that mrs has restored the audio content of the concert (from whatever source they got it from) is a mute point with the doc and you will not get an answer from him.

Bottom line is the doc and mrs do not get along, so what else do you expect?

smt179 Just drjohn being drjohn.

I've got Such A Night in Pearl Harbor. :smt020 It's a fabulous little package! 8)
~~Blue River~~
Keeping it real.
Blue River
Banned
Banned

Postby drjohncarpenter » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:45 pm

Evidently, it's not that simple, really. ;-)

stan from tintane wrote:More to the point (in my opinion) is where did RCA lift their audio from in the first place?

Nope. RCA's far superior, longer source for 1980's Elvis Aron Presley -- and the 1998 CD reissue -- apparently come from Tom Parker's archives. Those reel-to-reel tapes were given to Parker after the show.

stan from tintane wrote:At the end of the day mrs and boxcar are still around, that in itself (after all the legal wrangling) speaks volumes about mrs -and boxcar being a label for the fans from the fans.

You mean like the now-infamous "f--- Ernst" campaign, launched via e-mail last year, speaks volumes? ;-)
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
drjohncarpenter

Postby RonBaker2003 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:40 am

Since the PD laws have changed, what happens to future MRS releases?
RonBaker2003

Postby ekenee » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:05 am

RonBaker2003 wrote:Since the PD laws have changed, what happens to future MRS releases?

Competition is good for the fans.

If one company sits back and waits, another is there to fill the want.
ekenee

Postby norrie » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:24 am

ekenee wrote:
RonBaker2003 wrote:Since the PD laws have changed, what happens to future MRS releases?

Or one company sits back and waits for another to release rare material and then rips it off.Ring any bells ?

norrie
norrie

Postby ekenee » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:43 am

norrie wrote:
ekenee wrote:

Or one company sits back and waits for another to release rare material and then rips it off.Ring any bells ?

norrie

Yes, that is the risk. THe Elvis fan has to be a saavy buyers these days. I don't have all the answers.
Bootleggers don't pay royalites. So, they are ripping off the estate and Sony.
But I still enjoy a good bootleg now and then.
They fill the void that Sony or FTD fails to deliver.
But in the long run, the fan has more choices.
Someone will get ripped off sometime, be it the fan or Sony or FTD.

Hey most of us on this forum have spent a ton of money over the decades on Elvis stuff that we buy over and over again.

So, I won't apologize for collecting black or gray market Elvis product.

Again, Ernst had the choice of sitting on this release or upgrading it.
MRS filled the void. I bought it and I am along with many others, am pleased with it.

Now if FTD can find 16mm footage of the show, and over dub it with the concert, I will buy it again.
ekenee

Postby Tony.. » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:13 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

stan from tintane wrote:More to the point (in my opinion) is where did RCA lift their audio from in the first place?

Nope. RCA's far superior, longer source for 1980's Elvis Aron Presley -- and the 1998 CD reissue -- apparently come from Tom Parker's archives. Those reel-to-reel tapes were given to Parker after the show.

stan from tintane wrote:At the end of the day mrs and boxcar are still around, that in itself (after all the legal wrangling) speaks volumes about mrs -and boxcar being a label for the fans from the fans.

You mean like the now-infamous "f--- Ernst" campaign, launched via e-mail last year, speaks volumes? ;-)

RCA's release of the show did not run any longer than the bootleg version and it was only VERY slightly better sound quality and not as noticeable as the big jump forward in sound quality on the new MRS release.
Tony..

Postby elvis-fan » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:18 pm

I'm not sure if this has been done yet, but it would be interesting to hear an honest comparison between the RCA released tracks and the MRS "upgraded sound" tracks... even a single song to hear the difference.
Brad
elvis-fan

Postby Tony.. » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:16 pm

elvis-fan wrote:I'm not sure if this has been done yet, but it would be interesting to hear an honest comparison between the RCA released tracks and the MRS "upgraded sound" tracks... even a single song to hear the difference.

If you don't own the MRS release, then you are missing out. This has been discussed at length here. The MRS version IS better. The crackling, fade outs and drop outs are gone and there is bass response at last. If you are familiar with the old RCA / bootleg versions of it, then you will hear the improvements straight away. NO contest.
Tony..

Postby dennyelvis » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:32 pm

Here are two samps [RECONSIDER BABY] i have labeled them so u know, the MRS sounds fuller and they have corrected some drop out issues too, well c 4 urselves ..........

http://en.packupload.com/Z1XK3M468MN
"Some people tap their feet, some people snap their fingers, and some people sway back and forth. I just sorta do ‘em all together, I guess."

dennyelvis

Postby ekenee » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:17 am

Tony.. wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:I'm not sure if this has been done yet, but it would be interesting to hear an honest comparison between the RCA released tracks and the MRS "upgraded sound" tracks... even a single song to hear the difference.

If you don't own the MRS release, then you are missing out. This has been discussed at length here. The MRS version IS better. The crackling, fade outs and drop outs are gone and there is bass response at last. If you are familiar with the old RCA / bootleg versions of it, then you will hear the improvements straight away. NO contest.

Some people can't handle the truth.
ekenee

Postby drjohncarpenter » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:43 am

Tony.. wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

RCA's release of the show did not run any longer than the bootleg version and it was only VERY slightly better sound quality ...

You are annoying.

It is a fact that the 1980 RCA release included more of the introduction made by Rear Admiral Robert L. Campbell. It was the first thing I noticed when I played the concert. Two songs in, it was immediately clear the audio was a significant upgrade as well. The RCA release also included "Hound Dog" without the artificial extension heard on the 1978 Golden Archives bootleg.

And, as had been pointed out before, the grey market release "filled in" some audio gaps that were actually part of Presley's performance -- he accidentally pulled out his mic cord sliding across the stage -- thereby altering what really happened in Honolulu on March 25, 1961.
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
drjohncarpenter

Postby Tony.. » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:48 am

The MRS version is longer - there is an extra cough by Elvis that wasn't on the rubbish sounding RCA version! :smt001
MRS, MRS, MRS, MRS, MRS. (It stands for Miraculous Restoration of Sound!) Buy it today!!
Tony..

Postby ekenee » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:58 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Tony.. wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

RCA's release of the show did not run any longer than the bootleg version and it was only VERY slightly better sound quality ...

You are annoying.

It is a fact that the 1980 RCA release included more of the introduction made by Rear Admiral Robert L. Campbell. It was the first thing I noticed when I played the concert. Two songs in, it was immediately clear the audio was a significant upgrade as well. The RCA release also included "Hound Dog" without the artificial extension heard on the 1978 Golden Archives bootleg.

And, as had been pointed out before, the grey market release "filled in" some audio gaps that were actually part of Presley's performance -- he accidentally pulled out his mic cord sliding across the stage -- thereby altering what really happened in Honolulu on March 25, 1961.

Talk about annoying. We have been thru this before. Your "filled in" theory goes against the audio evidence.
I doubt very much he was sliding across the stage during "Now or Never" which is when one of the so called gaps was filled in.
You are literally grasping at straws.

And how can you criticize this release because it "altered" what really happened, when Ernst constantly alters history by moving studio dialogue and
changing the order of things in concerts and in the studio, and clips and cuts and edits, etc.

Stop being a hypocrit and get some consistency in your thinking.
ekenee

Postby elvis-fan » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:55 am

dennyelvis wrote:Here are two samps [RECONSIDER BABY] i have labeled them so u know, the MRS sounds fuller and they have corrected some drop out issues too, well c 4 urselves ..........

http://en.packupload.com/Z1XK3M468MN

Thanks for putting those up Denny!
Brad
elvis-fan

Postby JimmyCool » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:01 am

"Such A Night In Pearl Harbor" is beautifully packaged and the ultimate release of this show.
And I really don't think the sound can be improved much more than this.
I love it!

I'm just a red-blooded boy and I can't stop thinkin' about girls, girls, girls!
JimmyCool

Postby drjohncarpenter » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:13 am

robg wrote:Along the same lines as MRS released the opening riff to “That’s When Your Heartaches Begin” years before it’s so called Official release? But still it was just copied?

Opening riff. :lol:

Your comparison is not at all "along the same lines." The company got a hold of a cassette dub of the acetate, possibly from the late Ed Leek, which had the :01 false start/strum. The Hawaii release is sourced from the RCA disc, with audio "filled in" and some other tricks employed to make it "better."

Of course, it is another fact that the audio of both known Presley demo acetates (7-1953, 1-1954) have been restored to their finest-ever quality by engineer Sebastian Jeansson on A Boy From Tupelo.
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
drjohncarpenter

Postby drjohncarpenter » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:03 am

robg wrote:When it concerns MRS Doc you just can't help yourself ...

Pot, meet kettle. ;-)
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
drjohncarpenter

Postby JEFF d » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:15 am

JimmyCool wrote:"Such A Night In Pearl Harbor" is beautifully packaged and the ultimate release of this show.
And I really don't think the sound can be improved much more than this.
I love it!

I agree its a beautiful release all around, literally a crown jewel in my collection!

JEFF d
EP fan
Elvis is the man!!
JEFF d

Postby drjohncarpenter » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:46 am

JEFF d wrote:I agree its a beautiful release all around, literally a crown jewel in my collection!

If that's "literally a crown jewel" in your stash, what is A Boy From Tupelo?
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
drjohncarpenter

Postby Tim C » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:07 am

If that's "literally a crown jewel" in your stash, what is A Boy From Tupelo?

I suppose a sour apple...since your comparing it to his orange!!! Hint ...they are two different releases with virtually nothing else in common except Elvis, therefore each release should be dealt with based on their own merits and flaws, void of personal vendetta such as yours.
Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, the really great make you feel great too
- Mark Twain
Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt. Chase after money and security and your heart will never unclench. Care about people’s approval and you will be their prisoner. Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.
- Tao Te Ching
Tim C

PreviousNext

Return to All Elvis