Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

You CAN Always Get What You Want --> RS Rave of MSG '72!

Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:43 am

Some disparage Rolling Stone back in the day as a "hippie" magazine that "hated" Elvis.

This rave of Presley's third official live LP, Elvis As Recorded At Madison Square Garden, printed in the summer of 1972, proves them wrong.

In his lead review, critic Bob Palmer makes several astute observations along the way, several hilarious.

Enjoy!

720831_Rolling Stone 116 p36.JPG

Rolling Stone, Issue 116 - August 31, 1972

Don't you kind of wish Elvis had read this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: You CAN Always Get What You Want --> RS Rave of MSG '72!

Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:13 am

"I Can't Stop Loving You.... a powerful vocal that manages to find things
to do with the song that even Hank Williams and Ray Charles didn't get to."
8) :smt023

"He brings a touch of home-style raunch..." 8) :smt023

I love the way this guy wrote! :D

Thanks, drjohncarpenter!


Blue River

Re: You CAN Always Get What You Want --> RS Rave of MSG '72!

Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:23 am

Great article,thanks Doc.I do wish Elvis had read it and taken his advice on replacing the orchestra with the Memphis Horns,that would have worked and taken a bit of the Vegas lounge music out of the show.Glen D Hardman must have loved this too! (that would have been a cool name actualy)

norroe

Re: You CAN Always Get What You Want --> RS Rave of MSG '72!

Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:23 am

oops
Last edited by norrie on Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: You CAN Always Get What You Want --> RS Rave of MSG '72!

Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:29 am

norrie wrote:.... Glen D Hardman....

norroe


So much for Glen D. Hardin's name being misspelled by the writer! :lol:

Re: You CAN Always Get What You Want --> RS Rave of MSG '72!

Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:33 am

Blue River wrote:
norrie wrote:.... Glen D Hardman....

norroe


:lol: So much for Glen D. Hardin's name being misspelled by the writer!


Serves me right eh :oops:

norrie

Re: You CAN Always Get What You Want --> RS Rave of MSG '72!

Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:39 am

Thanks forthe article Doc. I was familiar with some excerpts, but never read the whole article untill now.
The early part of the 70´s was sure a great time for Elvis. On Stage,That´s The Way It Is ( album and movie), Elvis Country, He Touched Me, Grammy Award, Burning Love, On Tour and Golden Globe, amazing tours in 71 and 72 and to top all that a smash sucess in New York.

Re: You CAN Always Get What You Want --> RS Rave of MSG '72!

Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:44 am

norrie wrote:
Blue River wrote:
norrie wrote:.... Glen D Hardman....

norroe


:lol: So much for Glen D. Hardin's name being misspelled by the writer!


Serves me right eh :oops:

norrie

:lol: Yours was just a typo. It's all good.


Sergio Luiz wrote:The early part of the 70´s was sure a great time for Elvis. On Stage,That´s The Way It Is ( album and movie), Elvis Country, He Touched Me, Grammy Award, Burning Love, On Tour and Golden Globe, amazing tours in 71 and 72 and to top all that a smash sucess in New York.

Yeah, it's strange and sad that things seemed to go down hill with Elvis after January 14, 1973.

Re: You CAN Always Get What You Want --> RS Rave of MSG '72!

Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:36 am

You know, it IS a damn fine record. Thanks Doc.

Re: You CAN Always Get What You Want --> RS Rave of MSG '72!

Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:44 am

Thanks Doc! :)

::rocks

Re: You CAN Always Get What You Want --> RS Rave of MSG '72!

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:48 am

Nice to see a positive review, even with a few typos.
Thanks for sharing.

Re: You CAN Always Get What You Want --> RS Rave of MSG '72!

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:07 am

Thanks<Doc im another who enjoys that Damn fine record

Re: You CAN Always Get What You Want --> RS Rave of MSG '72!

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:32 am

Yes nice posting.

On Elvis and RS it all depended on who was writing. RS Founder Jann Wenner loved Elvis, but as an idol from another era. Several of the writers took the stance. The review of Elvis' Worldwide Gold Award Hits rips on "In the Ghetto" and "Suspicious Minds" as terrible records. But there were many like Landau, Palmer, Guralnick, Paul Gambaccini and Dave Marsh who took Elvis seriously as a serious artistic and a continuing artistic force. Landau's negative review of Love Letters From Elvis is filled with disappointment, not contempt.The Elvis story had engaged him once again and he was sad that it had taken a step backwards. RS also did positive reviews of Recorded Live in Memphis, From Elvis in Memphis, Elvis Country, both by Guralnick and reviews of Today and Aloha From Hawaii by Marsh and Landau respectively. Elvis' live show also received several positive reviews including David Dalton's "Elvis is supernatural" review of the King's return to live performance in 1969. Although, Greil Marcus did a negative on "Suspicious Minds" when it came out in 1969 which I guess proved that it's bad idea to review a single after only hearing it a few times.

In the grand balance of things, the magazine was far more a friend than an enemy back in those days to both Elvis and early rock. They were basically the only source in the media that considered those things important since then. When Elvis died in 1977, Rolling Stone was the only magazine to get it right. (Although Jay Cocks wrote a fine essay in Time despite the fact that Elvis was conspicuously left off that magazine's cover.)

The actual animus against Rolling Stone was formed in its later post-1980 incarnation when with their various polls etc. it did its best to marginalize '50s music in general in favor of the late 1960s music. Elvis was often kind of the reluctant bone they threw to the era. The tide changed in 1981 when the magazine sold Elvis down the river by giving Uncle Albert's bio a cover spread. When Uncle Albert turned his poison towards John Lennon, seven years later Rolling Stone revealed their bias. Elvis could be thrown under the bus, but not their beloved boomer icon.

Re: You CAN Always Get What You Want --> RS Rave of MSG '72!

Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:23 pm

A damn fine record, one of my favorites actually.
I bought it back in 1975 and was struck by the energy, much better then the Aloha show, an album I
got already back in 1973.
I like the Aloha show aswell but MSG has more of the Elvis that I like or should I say love.
I envy you guys who where there in june 1972, must have been a hell of a experience.

Thanks for sharing Doc, very nice to read such a positive review which I totally agree with.

Lennart

Re: You CAN Always Get What You Want --> RS Rave of MSG '72!

Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:45 pm

Thanks for posting, John, it makes excellent reading.

I think you may have put this up as a gracious response to my comment in another of your postings.

Bizarrely, this is not the RS article that I can see in the shop window - I'm gonna try and squint through the glass and nail the date.

Thanks again!

Re: You CAN Always Get What You Want --> RS Rave of MSG '72!

Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:03 pm

likethebike wrote:Yes nice posting.

On Elvis and RS it all depended on who was writing. RS Founder Jann Wenner loved Elvis, but as an idol from another era. Several of the writers took the stance. The review of Elvis' Worldwide Gold Award Hits rips on "In the Ghetto" and "Suspicious Minds" as terrible records. But there were many like Landau, Palmer, Guralnick, Paul Gambaccini and Dave Marsh who took Elvis seriously as a serious artistic and a continuing artistic force. Landau's negative review of Love Letters From Elvis is filled with disappointment, not contempt.The Elvis story had engaged him once again and he was sad that it had taken a step backwards. RS also did positive reviews of Recorded Live in Memphis, From Elvis in Memphis, Elvis Country, both by Guralnick and reviews of Today and Aloha From Hawaii by Marsh and Landau respectively. Elvis' live show also received several positive reviews including David Dalton's "Elvis is supernatural" review of the King's return to live performance in 1969. Although, Greil Marcus did a negative on "Suspicious Minds" when it came out in 1969 which I guess proved that it's bad idea to review a single after only hearing it a few times.

In the grand balance of things, the magazine was far more a friend than an enemy back in those days to both Elvis and early rock. They were basically the only source in the media that considered those things important since then. When Elvis died in 1977, Rolling Stone was the only magazine to get it right. (Although Jay Cocks wrote a fine essay in Time despite the fact that Elvis was conspicuously left off that magazine's cover.)

The actual animus against Rolling Stone was formed in its later post-1980 incarnation when with their various polls etc. it did its best to marginalize '50s music in general in favor of the late 1960s music. Elvis was often kind of the reluctant bone they threw to the era. The tide changed in 1981 when the magazine sold Elvis down the river by giving Uncle Albert's bio a cover spread. When Uncle Albert turned his poison towards John Lennon, seven years later Rolling Stone revealed their bias. Elvis could be thrown under the bus, but not their beloved boomer icon.


Spot-on regarding the transparent bias toward the boomer population. So much of media advertising is geared to people aged 25-54. It's all that matters to advertising buyers, and the content and programming providers operate with that mantra in mind.

MSG is one of Elvis' most consistently enjoyable live concerts, and a terrific record. He is completely in command. I remember reading excerpts of that review in Hopkins' "The Final Years," which I read over and over again until the pages fell out.

Re: You CAN Always Get What You Want --> RS Rave of MSG '72!

Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:05 pm

Funny, the thin sound of the original record never made me fully apreciate the concert. It was only with An Afternoon In The Garden that I could appreciate what he accomplished at the garden as a whole. That show literally floored me with its burst of energy. It was like a "sonic boom".
I eventually stop listening to it after the flood of soundboards releases in the past decade, but Afternoon In The Garden remains one the most played CDs of my life.

Re: You CAN Always Get What You Want --> RS Rave of MSG '72!

Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:01 pm

Good review, though it suggests that Palmer hadn't heard either of the two earlier live albums. While Afternoon in the Garden was better than I expected, the proper MSG album seems to be widely regarded as a disappointment, so it's interesting to read a near-rave. Firing the orchestra would have been a good cost-cutting measure, but I doubt Elvis would have ever considered it on aesthetic grounds. It's pretty clear that he wanted to sound Vegasy and sing stuff like "The Impossible Dream," for better and worse.
Last edited by Revelator on Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: You CAN Always Get What You Want --> RS Rave of MSG '72!

Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:37 pm

My recollections are that Aloha and Today reviews were more negative than positive, with some backhanded compliments thrown in. On Today they said something like, he was the greatest singer in the world, too bad he's not doing better work, or something to that effect. Wasn't Aloha called out for being another live album with low energy from Elvis? "Trilogy" is good but lacks the power of seeing him do it, as in ON TOUR.

These are the Rolling Stone reviews I remember.

Re: You CAN Always Get What You Want --> RS Rave of MSG '72!

Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:54 am

Thanks for sharing Bob Palmer's RS review Doc

Re: You CAN Always Get What You Want --> RS Rave of MSG '72!

Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:56 am

paulsweeney wrote:Thanks for sharing Bob Palmer's RS review Doc


+1

rjm
::rocks

P.S. -- You keep your copies in such pristine condition!

Re: You CAN Always Get What You Want --> RS Rave of MSG '72!

Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:15 am

Revelator wrote:Good review, though it suggests that Palmer hadn't heard either of the two earlier live albums.

That is hardly surprising. Palmer no doubt had scores of other LPs he was digging in 1969 and 1970. In some respects it makes his take on the 1972 LP more refreshing -- it was his first live Elvis record.

Re: You CAN Always Get What You Want --> RS Rave of MSG '72!

Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:01 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:That is hardly surprising. Palmer no doubt had scores of other LPs he was digging in 1969 and 1970.


Agreed.

In some respects it makes his take on the 1972 LP more refreshing -- it was his first live Elvis record.


It makes the review interesting, but also suggests that if he had heard the earlier live albums first, his reaction to MSG would have been less enthusiastic, since many of the songs on MSG were better performed on the earlier records. So I think his review is most valuable for showing how a top-tier rock critic reacted to hearing Elvis live for the first time, rather than showing how MSG fit into the rest of Elvis's work.
Last edited by Revelator on Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: You CAN Always Get What You Want --> RS Rave of MSG '72!

Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:18 am

Revelator wrote:... his review is most valuable for showing how a top-tier rock critic reacted to seeing Elvis live for the first time ...

Palmer's review is strictly of the LP. He does not at any point indicate he attended the show.

Re: You CAN Always Get What You Want --> RS Rave of MSG '72!

Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:00 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Palmer's review is strictly of the LP. He does not at any point indicate he attended the show.


Fixed. I phrased the original badly.