Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Dennis Ferrante

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:07 pm

I'm sorry, but I much prefer the remixes by Dennis Ferrante on Elvis' 70s material than the recent remasters by Vic Anesini. Dennis' is clearer, Elvis' voice is more upfront and has less reverb and the dynamics and "air" around the individual instruments are better, and the transients are more clear and crisp. I am now set out to seek as many of these RCA/BMG versions as I can from the Dennis Ferrante period.

Re: Dennis Ferrante

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:13 pm

skatterbrane wrote:I'm sorry, but I much prefer the remixes by Dennis Ferrante on Elvis' 70s material than the recent remasters by Vic Anesini. Dennis' is clearer, Elvis' voice is more upfront and has less reverb and the dynamics and "air" around the individual instruments are better, and the transients are more clear and crisp. I am now set out to seek as many of these RCA/BMG versions as I can from the Dennis Ferrante period.

No apology necessary. That's what it's all about, skatterbrane... personal taste and collecting the things you enjoy. :smt023

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:31 pm

I am a bit obsessvie about mastering etc. One good song to compare what I am talking about is "Loving Arms" (for those who are into such things).

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:40 pm

skatterbrane wrote:I'm sorry, but I much prefer the remixes by Dennis Ferrante on Elvis' 70s material than the recent remasters by Vic Anesini. Dennis' is clearer, Elvis' voice is more upfront and has less reverb and the dynamics and "air" around the individual instruments are better, and the transients are more clear and crisp. I am now set out to seek as many of these RCA/BMG versions as I can from the Dennis Ferrante period.

I agree with you in many cases....especially on some LIVE concerts.
One example is "The Wonder Of You" FTD from 2007.....I dont like that mix at all but I absolutely love Dennis` work
on the august shows that he has worked on.
Another is "Stage Rehersal" rehersal from last year.....a big disappointment on many levels.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:48 pm

You can hear a fine example of Dennis' handy-work behind the mixing console on this outstanding live performance recording:

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:54 pm

I am not a purist in the sense that a perfect release is one that has to be the original mix. I say if you have access to the original 3, 4, 8, 16 or 32 track source and you can do a better job mixing it than what was on the original masters, by all means DO IT!

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:59 pm

But then on the other side of the coin, there is Dick Baxter. :facep:

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:05 pm

Dick Baxter got acetates to play by stacking coins on the tonearm (according to the liner notes in the Golden Celebration albums).

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:19 pm

RonBaker2003 wrote:Dick Baxter got acetates to play by stacking coins on the tonearm (according to the liner notes in the Golden Celebration albums).

Well, I do not envy anyone who has to work with such source material, however how does one explain the terrible sound on the "Double Features" series? It is almost as though to rid any possible tape hiss, he was willing to cut off all the overtones and presence in the program material too.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:24 pm

Actually, some of the Double Features have much better sound than the newer reissues. "Frankie and Johnny" for one.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:03 pm

RonBaker2003 wrote:Actually, some of the Double Features have much better sound than the newer reissues. "Frankie and Johnny" for one.

I will go check that out. Some albums I do not listen to much. I know the new F&J is very dry, which I LIKE.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:19 pm

skatterbrane wrote:I am a bit obsessvie about mastering etc. One good song to compare what I am talking about is "Loving Arms" (for those who are into such things).

Ferrante's remix reveals a glitch in the recording on the last verse, after Elvis sings "If you could hear me now." It is not discernible on the original mix, which also has a better spread of guitars.

Generally Ferrante's work was quite mixed. His On Stage remix/remaster is a disaster and his use of period incorrect, obviously fake digital reverb on a number of recordings is annoying (And I Love You So on Platinum is particular awful). I enjoy his TTWII concerts, the afternoon Garden show and some of his 70s box work but overall it was a positive thing when the label moved on as he was prone to far too much revisionism in his remixes, even removing elements that were in the original presentations - like James Burton's guitar from Little Cabin On The Hill. Anesini's remastering work reigns supreme, as does his mixing/remixing - when he is afforded occasion to do so.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:23 pm

Matthew wrote:Ferrante's remix reveals a glitch in the recording on the last verse, after Elvis sings "If you could hear me now." It is not discernible on the original mix, which also has a better spread of guitars.

Generally Ferrante's work was quite mixed. His On Stage remix/remaster is a disaster and his use of period incorrect, obviously fake digital reverb on a number of recordings is annoying (And I Love You So on Platinum is particular awful). I enjoy his TTWII concerts, the afternoon Garden show and some of his 70s box work but overall it was a positive thing when the label moved on as he was prone to far too much revisionism in his remixes, even removing elements that were in the original presentations - like James Burton's guitar from Little Cabin On The Hill. Anesini's remastering work reigns supreme, as does his mixing/remixing - when he is afforded occasion to do so.

Both Vic Anesini and Sebastian Jeansson have given fans some superbly mastered audio. For example, FTD's A Boy From Tupelo is stunning, and quite notable for avoiding the "loudness" war.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:05 am

Kevan, Sebastian, and Jean-Marc have given us a wealth of great remastering/mastering work. I'm not aware they've done any remixing though as a number of FTD titles fail to credit their mixing engineers.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:12 am

Sebastian has remixed quite a few things, specially many spring 63 tracks. And both he and jean Marc have remixed the previously released alternate takes for the new classic album series. Anesini has remixed some alternates for FTD and some masters like the bonus tracks on the legacy on stage. And I still maintain one of those engineers (probably Anesini) redid Love Me Love The Life I Lead and Padre for the complete masters box, even as they are labeled as vintage mixes when they appeared on the fool FTD

Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:37 am

Boy From Tupelo/Elvis at Sun is stunning!

Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:44 am

Well I just compared Please Don't Stop Loving Me and Hard Luck between the Double Features and the most recent Sony and I like the most recent Sony much better.

Since I hate vaudeville and ragtime, most of F&J is intolerable to me.

The Double Features mastering of Hard Luck has the harmonica panning between left and right. It is bigger than life! In the new Sony master it is rock solid in the mid left field.
Last edited by skatterbrane on Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:47 am

Yes, sometimes remastering does bring out glitches and problems, Rags To Riches and a few others have a problem with over modulation in very brief spots.

But if the overall sound is better, I can put up with glitches. Just like LP records may have more noise, they usually sound better than CD.