Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

ELVIS LIVES on DVD

Tue May 06, 2003 8:52 pm

ELVIS LIVES on DVD: A 100-minute version of the TV Special Elvis Lives is to be released as a stand-alone DVD on October 21, 2003. Plans are for an abundance of previously unseen footage from the special, still photo gallery and extended interviews.
Source: EPE

Is this the special with Bono's famous poem?

Tue May 06, 2003 9:24 pm

Yes it is.

I thought this special was a good tribute,though alot of folks on here didn't like it.

Wed May 07, 2003 1:28 am

Way The Heck They putting This out.

To Me Its Not All That Great Show.

Wed May 07, 2003 2:39 am

Oh that's a good idea....put this out on DVD...but hey we won't put out Elvs On Tour on DVD.......oh it's a strange world we live in :shock:

EOT

Wed May 07, 2003 7:02 am

EOT will be out soon enough. EPE is building a stronger market for this by holding back and getting the Elvis public salivating for this release. There is no other explanation considering what is already out on dvd as far as Elvis movies go, it would be just as easy to transfer this release to dvd format and put it on the shelves. Especially considering the way Elvis fans are clamoring for this release.
I suspect there will be a small amount of marketing for this release to pick up some extra bucks but they are going to be sure that as soon as this is released every Elvis fan out there snatches it up within days. I would suspct that as soon as EPE finishes with their current projects 68 Special, Aloha, Anthology, that this will be next in line.

JMO
Tony

Wed May 07, 2003 7:43 am

EPE does not own EOT, so therefore has no ability to be able to release it. The big guns from Turner own the footage.

EOT

Wed May 07, 2003 8:59 am

I understand who owns the rights to the fimed footage of Elvis but I would imagine since EPE owns the rights to all things Elvis they have a say in any new releases of his image.

I may be wrong
Tony

Wed May 07, 2003 9:20 am

mmmmm I don't know Blue Gyspy, I'm looking at it this way, EPE may have right to all things Elvis but if I was Turner & I bought a stack of original film reels from the Filmakers MGM & paid handsomely for them I would expect that I would be able to release EOT well I felt I wanted to without having to get permission from EPE. My understanding of EPE 'stopping/removing' The Definitive Elvis DVD release months ago was that there were numerous copyright owners who had no been paid/consulted. Funny how this release was supposed to have been removed from shops & yet it is still available on all the shelves everywhere it originally was for sale....it never was removed from the shops at all.

So going back to EOT, just put yourself in Turners shoes....what world would we live in when you legally buy MGM footage that was never EPE's anyway & you'd have to ask for permission from EPE if or when to release it....sorry I don't see it.

EOT

Wed May 07, 2003 9:24 am

Good point.
So lets just apply my earlier logic to MGM :lol:

Tony

Wed May 07, 2003 9:29 am

Turner made the movie and it was released. I think with additional releases with alternate bits etc., EPE does have a say. I think they say on there site they would support a release of this.
They also said something to the fact that they were disappointed that the extras were not on TTWII, and if they had known the songs that weren't going to be on the release they wouldn't have agreed to it. They only agreed because the songs taken out would be on the extras.

Wed May 07, 2003 8:06 pm

The big question for Elvis Lives is: will WE buy it?

I saw it on tv and thought it was average at best. Some nice Elvis clips, but that's about it. In my opinion some stupid remarks by so-called celebrity Elvis fans mess up this documentary.
For instance: Miss Spears wasn't even born when Elvis died and she says something like: he was so sexy, you could not take your eyes off him...
Pfffffff...
I, for one will not buy this. I guess it's much wiser to save my money for some real Elvis releases.

Sonny

Wed May 07, 2003 9:03 pm

Turner Inc owns the "Elvis on Tour" "TWWII" and Elvis' movies. To get those things released EPE and Turner have to get together. EPE want to put out a new "On Tour", Turner does not. It is up to Turner for that to happen.

"Unreleased footage" from this Elvis lives thing will most likely be footage that EPE own such as the 68 special and Aloha and extended interviews with the celebs that were in it.

I liked the special it should be good.

Wed May 07, 2003 9:18 pm

I, for one, am looking forward to this release. Ever since I first saw it on TV i was hoping for it to be released in a extended DVD version. And now I get what I hoped for. Not every day that happens!!

(and I actually appreciate that Britney is a fan of Elvis. For god's sake, just 'cause I wasn't born when Elvis lived, I can't appreciate the magnetism and charisma he had? That's a weird logic!!)

Wed May 07, 2003 9:19 pm

BMG own Elvis's music,but they still needed EPE's permission to release the remix of "ALLC".
So maybe the movie companies do need EPE's approval at least?

Wed May 07, 2003 9:36 pm

Actually...come to think of it...I never really was satisfied with ANY Elvis programs on television...I always thought they were typical and unoriginal. BUT, this Elvis Lives was nicely done, I thought. It was not fantastic or anything...but I liked how they tied a lot of Elvis stuff to a lot of artists today..like Eminem...Michael Jackson...stuff like that. That was original.

Wed May 07, 2003 9:54 pm

Well Leann Rimes certainly looked hot in it! I thought No Doubt's version of "Suspicious Minds" was good. I can't stand Dave Matthews Band.

It's intentions were good but I can't imagine buying it.

Thu May 08, 2003 12:19 am

I missed the show, I think it was shown at some rediculous time here.
So I'll buy it to check it out.

8)