Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Greg1995

Re: Elvis --Little Mama

Post by Greg1995 »

Good Time Charlie wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Good Time Charlie wrote:Man that's a great song, I must admit this is the first time I've ever actually heard the song. I pray to god we get to here Elvis' version. Why oh why didn't Elvis sing more material like this later in his career?
After June 1968, he seemed to pull back from his love of classic R&B a bit.

That said, since "Little Mama" does exist on acetate from the April 2, 1955 "Louisiana Hayride" broadcast, remote from Houston, it sure would be nice to hear it before we all die.
April
02 Saturday
Louisiana Hayride, from the City Auditorium, Houston, Texas

Elvis appears on a Hayride remote broadcast with Slim Whitman, Hoot and Curley, Johnny Horton, Tibby Edwards, Floyd Cramer, and others. He performs "Little Mama," "That's All Right," "You're a Heartbreaker," and "Shake, Rattle and Roll." Billboard reports on June 4 that 2,000 people were turned away from this performance and that Elvis and Slim Whitman both tore the house down.

Peter Guralnick, Ernst Jorgensen - Elvis: Day by Day: The Definitive Record of His Life and Music (New York: Ballantine Books, 1999)

I stumbled across this post and it intrigued me.

Is it true that an acetate also exists of this April 2, 1955 show or is this just a mix up of the records when trying to date the "Little Mama" acetate that was released on FTD's "A Boy From Tupelo" ?

Tracks 14-19 on Disc 3 contain what they think is Elvis' life performance at the Municipal Auditorium, Shreveport, Louisiana for the Louisiana Hayride March 5, 1955.

Tweedlee Dee
Money Honey
Hearts of Stone
Shake Rattle and Roll
Little Mama
You're a Heartbreaker

On page 177 of "A Boy From Tupelo", it contains the same information presented in 1999's "Day by Day" book, that Elvis played on the Louisiana Hayride for a remote broadcast at the City Auditorium, Houston, Texas on April 2, 1955 and his set included;

Little Mama
That's All Right
You're a Heartbreaker
Shake, Rattle and Roll

My question in short is, does another acetate exist of Elvis singing "Little Mama" and "You're a Heartbreaker" but for whatever reason could not be released on the 2012 FTD release?
Nope.

TheMaskedClown

Post by TheMaskedClown »

Barry wrote:Has anyone heard this Elvis Track?
During Elvis Week in 1986 the track was played at a collector's meeting. To say it was definitely Elvis on the scratchy recording would be a VERY tall order!

luckyjackson1

Post by luckyjackson1 »

KingOfTheJungle wrote:
promiseland wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The entire acetate is in the hands of a private collector. Sadly, it cannot be restored.
Doc how was this acetate made? Was it cut from a live radio broadcast?
The Little Mama acetate has been known about for quite some time. The issue has always been getting a release agreement amenable to the collector who owns it, from what I have heard, such a deal has recently been reached.

Apparently the sound quality is somewhere in the ballpark of 'Hearts of Stone'. Another acetate exists of a performance of 'Rock Around The Clock' allegedly by Elvis, I say allegedly because the sound is so bad it has been described as making "'Hearts of Stone' sound like a pristine 5.1 master".
Now this is interesting, I think I never read this before! :shock:
Would love to hear it anyway.

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

luckyjackson1 wrote:
KingOfTheJungle wrote:The Little Mama acetate has been known about for quite some time. The issue has always been getting a release agreement amenable to the collector who owns it, from what I have heard, such a deal has recently been reached.

Apparently the sound quality is somewhere in the ballpark of 'Hearts of Stone'. Another acetate exists of a performance of 'Rock Around The Clock' allegedly by Elvis, I say allegedly because the sound is so bad it has been described as making "'Hearts of Stone' sound like a pristine 5.1 master".
Now this is interesting, I think I never read this before! :shock:
Would love to hear it anyway.
The so-called audio from this acetate is almost completely unlistenable. It could be Ethel Merman.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

mysterytrainrideson
Banned
Banned

Post by mysterytrainrideson »

colonel snow wrote:Even Lovey dovey from The Clovers was sung on 20-12-54 by Elvis.

colonel snow
Where did you get this info from?

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

eligain

Post by eligain »

Elvis Presley, "Little Mama" (Shreveport, Louisiana, March 5, 1955):

colonel snow

Post by colonel snow »

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
colonel snow wrote:Even Lovey dovey from The Clovers was sung on 20-12-54 by Elvis.

colonel snow

Here is the tracklist for 20-12-54:
Good rockin' tonight – That's all right – Blue moon of Kentucky – Money honey -Tomorrow night – Lovey dovey – Fool fool fool - I don't care if the sun don't shine - Hearts of stone.

I digged up this information from paperwork somewhere on the web at the time; if I'm not mistaken it is was shown on this forum too.

colonel snow

Keith

Post by Keith »

colonel snow wrote:

colonel snow

Good rockin' tonight – That's all right – Blue moon of Kentucky – Money honey -Tomorrow night – Lovey dovey – Fool fool fool - I don't care if the sun don't shine - Hearts of stone.

I digged up this information from paperwork somewhere on the web at the time; if I'm not mistaken it is was shown on this forum too.

colonel snow
Yes, if I remember correctly this promotional photo (with the track listing written on the back) was up for sale on Ebay at one point:
54_12_20_01.jpg
54_12_20_03.JPG
Keith
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mysterytrainrideson
Banned
Banned

colonel snow wrote:

colonel snow

colonel snow
Thanks for the info. I did check the date in the "A Boy From Tupelo" book, but no mention of it in there.

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

colonel snow

Post by colonel snow »

colonel snow wrote:

colonel snow

colonel snow
Thanks for the info. I did check the date in the "A Boy From Tupelo" book, but no mention of it in there.

Not all availabe information is in the great "A boy from Tupelo" due to a time-line for printing the book and other reasons.
Now and the new information and even audio (I forgot to remember to forget) come to daylight.

colonel snow

colonel snow

Post by colonel snow »

Keith wrote:
colonel snow wrote:

colonel snow

colonel snow
Yes, if I remember correctly this promotional photo (with the track listing written on the back) was up for sale on Ebay at one point:
54_12_20_01.jpg
54_12_20_03.JPG

Keith

Thanks Keith for the extra information.

colonel snow

mysterytrainrideson
Banned
Banned

Thanks Keith for the info.

mysterytrainrideson
Banned
Banned

Thanks Keith for the info.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Keith wrote:Yes, if I remember correctly this promotional photo (with the track listing written on the back) was up for sale on Ebay at one point:
54_12_20_01.jpg
54_12_20_03.JPG
Keith
Thanks for presenting these, I had forgotten all about the information on the back.

This autographed PR shot (called "the tuxedo photo" by some) was sold by Heritage Auctions on August 14, 2012, live at the Hotel Peabody in Memphis, for $4,062.50. In pencil on the front you can see Elvis writes, "Yours till blue moon?" What a rascal.

541220_PR photo 01.JPG
541220_PR photo 02.JPG
Although it seems odd the 1954 list begins with the fan writing "Hit Records," I agree it is probably a true set from that Monday evening.

Below is my annotated transcription of both lists, presented for your Sun-era reading pleasure. Besides the Clovers cover of "Lovey Dovey," we see he also sings "(There'll Be) Peace In The Valley (For Me)," which would be cut for RCA in 1957. Oh, to have a recording of these gigs, how magnificent that would be.

Elvis Presley, Scotty and Bill
Humble Oil Company Camp, Hawkins, Texas
Monday, December 20, 1954

1. Good Rockin' Tonight
2. That's All Right
3. Blue Moon of Kentucky
4. Money Honey
5. Tomorrow Night
6. Lovey Dovey
7. Fool, Fool, Fool
8. I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine
9. Hearts of Stone

Elvis Presley, Scotty and Bill
Humble Oil Company Camp, Hawkins, Texas
Monday, January 24, 1955

1. Hearts of Stone
2. Good Rockin' Tonight
3. I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine
4. Money Honey
5. Fool, Fool, Fool
6. Tweedlee Dee
7. Blue Moon of Kentucky
8. That's All Right
9. (There'll Be) Peace In The Valley (For Me)

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Thanks for the info. I did check the date in the "A Boy From Tupelo" book, but no mention of it in there.
Unfortunately, as noted above, this information post-dates the publication of Follow That Dream's A Boy From Tupelo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!