Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis --Little Mama

Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:37 am

Has anyone heard this Elvis Track?

Re: Elvis --Little Mama

Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:40 am

wasn't that supposed to be "that's allright mama" wrongly named at one point by someone?

Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:48 am

joshferrell wrote:wasn't that supposed to be "that's allright mama" wrongly named at one point by someone?

NO.

Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:53 am

Barry wrote:
joshferrell wrote:wasn't that supposed to be "that's allright mama" wrongly named at one point by someone?

NO.

ok...so no i haven't heard it..i wonder what it is..

Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:46 am

"Little Mama" was a song by the Clovers - the same group that originally did "Down In The Alley". The lyrics are:

Little mama I took your lovin'
But I wasn't true to you
Little mama I took your lovin'
But I wasn't true to you
Now you're leavin' litte mama
I can't blame you if you do

Little mama I lied (yes, I lied)
Lied all along (all along)
Little mama I lied (yes, I lied)
Lied all along (all along)
Playin' around, little mama (playin' around)
Yes, and I did you mighty wrong (mighty wrong)

Little mama I told your good friends
Told your sister Mary too
Little mama I told your good friends
Told your sister Mary too
That all I ever wanted
Was to get your gold from you

Little mama I'm sorry (yes, I'm sorry)
Sorry to my heart (to my heart)
Little mama I'm sorry (oh, I'm sorry)
Sorry to my heart (to my heart)
I had the best intentions (best intentions)
Baby, right from the start (from the start)

Little mama I'm gonna miss you
When you put me on the shelf
Little mama I'm gonna miss you
When you put me on the shelf
Ain't nothing I can tell you
You didn't find out yourself

Little mama I love you (yeah, I do)
Little mama I love you (got to be true)
Little mama I love you (please don't go)
Little mama I miss you (need you so)
Little mama I don't want nobody but you

MT

Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:37 am

Not exactly. It is a fact that Elvis mistakenly introduced one of his June 1968, small combo jams of "That's All Right" as "That's All Right Little Mama." The Clovers were certainly in his musical mix in 1954-55, so this slip shows how locked in he was at that time to his teenaged R&B favorites.

Barry wrote:Has anyone heard this Elvis Track?

One imagines it sounds a bit like this:

phpBB [video]

540220_Atlantic 1022_Little Mama.JPG

The Clovers, "Little Mama" (Atlantic 1022, February 20, 1954)
This was the B-side to "Lovey Dovey" and still made Billboard U.S. R&B #8 that June.
The September 1953 session was the first Clovers production matching Ahmet Ertegun with the now-legendary producer Jerry Wexler.

Elvis dug the Clovers quite a bit, and more than one of their singles made his early set lists. We know he recorded "Fool, Fool, Fool" and "Down in the Alley." And the Clovers have a nice, bluesy version of "There's No Tomorrow" which Elvis demoed in Germany, too. That one later became "It's Now or Never."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:15 am

Barry, more on "Little Mama" here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34654

Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:34 pm

Man that's a great song, I must admit this is the first time I've ever actually heard the song. I pray to god we get to here Elvis' version. Why oh why didn't Elvis sing more material like this later in his career?

Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:52 pm

Good Time Charlie wrote:Man that's a great song, I must admit this is the first time I've ever actually heard the song. I pray to god we get to here Elvis' version. Why oh why didn't Elvis sing more material like this later in his career?

After June 1968, he seemed to pull back from his love of classic R&B a bit.

That said, since "Little Mama" does exist on acetate from the April 2, 1955 "Louisiana Hayride" broadcast, remote from Houston, it sure would be nice to hear it before we all die.

April
02 Saturday
Louisiana Hayride, from the City Auditorium, Houston, Texas

Elvis appears on a Hayride remote broadcast with Slim Whitman, Hoot and Curley, Johnny Horton, Tibby Edwards, Floyd Cramer, and others. He performs "Little Mama," "That's All Right," "You're a Heartbreaker," and "Shake, Rattle and Roll." Billboard reports on June 4 that 2,000 people were turned away from this performance and that Elvis and Slim Whitman both tore the house down.

Peter Guralnick, Ernst Jorgensen - Elvis: Day by Day: The Definitive Record of His Life and Music (New York: Ballantine Books, 1999)

Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:21 pm

Shariff Hanna, owns the acetate and I'm afraid he will never sell it to be release for the fans to hear. He has a treasure load of rare artifacts and he just sits on them. Come on Shariff, let release the thing. It would be great for the 35 year celebration.

Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:22 pm

Shariff Hanna, owns the acetate and I'm afraid he will never sell it to be release for the fans to hear. He has a treasure load of rare artifacts and he just sits on them. Come on Shariff, let release the thing. It would be great for the 35 year celebration.

Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:57 pm

tommy sands recorded the song in april 1958 and as he recorded for rca. and was a friend of elvis
iys possible there could have been a connection. he told me in 2007 in memphis that he often went to see elvis shows. listen to his version and you can imagine elvis singing it. he used the jordanaires too..

Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:42 pm

rockinray wrote:tommy sands recorded the song in april 1958 and as he recorded for rca. and was a friend of elvis
iys possible there could have been a connection. he told me in 2007 in memphis that he often went to see elvis shows. listen to his version and you can imagine elvis singing it. he used the jordanaires too..

I would agree -- Sands played with Elvis in late 1954-early 1955, around the time "Little Mama" might have been a part of Elvis, Scotty and Bill's act.

Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:44 am

Little Mama, a live You're A Heartbreaker, and the third track from this long fabled acetate will finally be released whenever a certain someone gets around to finishing a long awaited career retrospective.

At least, that's what my 'sources' have been saying.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:06 am

KingOfTheJungle wrote:Little Mama, a live You're A Heartbreaker, and the third track from this long fabled acetate will finally be released whenever a certain someone gets around to finishing a long awaited career retrospective.

At least, that's what my 'sources' have been saying.

I wonder if this track even exists, or is it just speculation?

Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:00 pm

The entire acetate is in the hands of a private collector. Sadly, it cannot be restored.

Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:05 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:The entire acetate is in the hands of a private collector. Sadly, it cannot be restored.

Doc how was this acetate made? Was it cut from a live radio broadcast?

Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:49 pm

promiseland wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The entire acetate is in the hands of a private collector. Sadly, it cannot be restored.

The Little Mama acetate has been known about for quite some time. The issue has always been getting a release agreement amenable to the collector who owns it, from what I have heard, such a deal has recently been reached.

Apparently the sound quality is somewhere in the ballpark of 'Hearts of Stone'. Another acetate exists of a performance of 'Rock Around The Clock' allegedly by Elvis, I say allegedly because the sound is so bad it has been described as making "'Hearts of Stone' sound like a pristine 5.1 master".

Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:26 am

The acetate of Little Mama being discussed may not be the only one in existence for that song. There are other pre RCA recordings sitting in the hands of collectors.

The real shame is that as time goes by, not only are the recordings deteriorating sometimes beyond repair but also their value is reducing considerably. The time when these recordings were worth fortunes has long passed. Collectors often paid fortunes for rare recordings that are now worth only a fraction of the cost. These collectors do not like to accept this fact and therefore continue to hold on to things in the hope matters might change. Unfortunately, this situ is no good for the owner of rare pieces or the collectors waiting for such gems to be released.

elvisonline

Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:31 pm

KingOfTheJungle wrote:
promiseland wrote:

The Little Mama acetate has been known about for quite some time. The issue has always been getting a release agreement amenable to the collector who owns it, from what I have heard, such a deal has recently been reached.

Apparently the sound quality is somewhere in the ballpark of 'Hearts of Stone'. Another acetate exists of a performance of 'Rock Around The Clock' allegedly by Elvis, I say allegedly because the sound is so bad it has been described as making "'Hearts of Stone' sound like a pristine 5.1 master".

I'm led to believe that the recording of "rock around the clock" that you are referring to is a tape made in someone's pocket, while the original acetate was being played to fans. The guy that recorded it hid a small machine in his pocket. I believe the actual original source tape / acetate is pretty good.

Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:32 pm

Tommy Sands cd with Little Mama.
X1100tmp-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:40 pm

like u said the more collectors wait the less money they can make. u would think they wouldnt wait till its worth nothing to let us hear it.
c'mon its time to let go of the songs bfr u all die.
selfish collectors.

Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:59 am

Barry wrote:Tommy Sands cd with Little Mama.

That's a nice set from Bear Family. It's 19 years old now.

Tommy Sands - Worryin' Kind - Bear Family a.jpg

Take a close look at the selections -- 6 were done by Elvis back in 1954-55.

Tommy Sands - Worryin' Kind - Bear Family b.jpg

Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:38 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Good Time Charlie wrote:Man that's a great song, I must admit this is the first time I've ever actually heard the song. I pray to god we get to here Elvis' version. Why oh why didn't Elvis sing more material like this later in his career?

After June 1968, he seemed to pull back from his love of classic R&B a bit.

That said, since "Little Mama" does exist on acetate from the April 2, 1955 "Louisiana Hayride" broadcast, remote from Houston, it sure would be nice to hear it before we all die.

April
02 Saturday
Louisiana Hayride, from the City Auditorium, Houston, Texas

Elvis appears on a Hayride remote broadcast with Slim Whitman, Hoot and Curley, Johnny Horton, Tibby Edwards, Floyd Cramer, and others. He performs "Little Mama," "That's All Right," "You're a Heartbreaker," and "Shake, Rattle and Roll." Billboard reports on June 4 that 2,000 people were turned away from this performance and that Elvis and Slim Whitman both tore the house down.

Peter Guralnick, Ernst Jorgensen - Elvis: Day by Day: The Definitive Record of His Life and Music (New York: Ballantine Books, 1999)

I stumbled across this post and it intrigued me.

Is it true that an acetate also exists of this April 2, 1955 show or is this just a mix up of the records when trying to date the "Little Mama" acetate that was released on FTD's "A Boy From Tupelo" ?

Tracks 14-19 on Disc 3 contain what they think is Elvis' life performance at the Municipal Auditorium, Shreveport, Louisiana for the Louisiana Hayride March 5, 1955.

Tweedlee Dee
Money Honey
Hearts of Stone
Shake Rattle and Roll
Little Mama
You're a Heartbreaker

On page 177 of "A Boy From Tupelo", it contains the same information presented in 1999's "Day by Day" book, that Elvis played on the Louisiana Hayride for a remote broadcast at the City Auditorium, Houston, Texas on April 2, 1955 and his set included;

Little Mama
That's All Right
You're a Heartbreaker
Shake, Rattle and Roll

My question in short is, does another acetate exist of Elvis singing "Little Mama" and "You're a Heartbreaker" but for whatever reason could not be released on the 2012 FTD release?

Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:42 pm

Even Lovey dovey from The Clovers was sung on 20-12-54 by Elvis.

colonel snow