Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

How did you folks get into Elvis?

Tue May 06, 2003 5:10 pm

This one's probably been asked before several times, but I think it's interesting to hear how people got into Elvis.

My mum's always been a huge fan and has many old annuals and records (though she won't get them out for me to have a look!!!!!)

Anyway, about 12 years ago when I was just a baby of 7, my dad would take us to work with him on a Sunday. This work entailed a lot of driving and therein lay the oh so little problem of my sister's car sickness!

To combat it, my mother put an Elvis tape on in the car..... just like that my sister was cured and Elvis got a new fan! The first song I remember is My Baby Left Me.

How about you lot?

Tue May 06, 2003 5:30 pm

Hey Andrew!

Never get tired of these stories, I think it's all part of the myth and legend that makes up Elvis.

I grew up with my Dad playing Elvis in the house all the time. I was born in 1960 and I can't remember a time when Elvis wasn't played at least once a day. More on Sundays.

My elder sister is six years older than me and shes say's it was always the same. Reckon Dad must have been a Ted'!

So I used to listen to Dads records and then started buying my own. I grew sideburns just like Elvis (and Dad)! I never really rebelled, I had a shot at listening to punk and prog rock in the late 70s. But it's been Elvis all the way for me! 8)

Tue May 06, 2003 8:09 pm

Hi,

When I was about fourteen, or fifteen years old I had a very sweet neighbourhood girlfriend (we kinda lost track of each other when we were about eighteen, but that's the way those things go, I guess)
Anyway, she already was an Elvis fan at the time, and had several Elvis records. I borrowed Elvis Forever and Elvis In Concert one day....
Listened to it, listened again and again, and.... and so on. Later that day I went to our local record store and bought Elvis In Concert.
Elvis Forever was great but I already knew most of the songs on it. Elvis In Concert was much more interesting.
I can remember that I was blown away by the 2001 intro and the fantastic drum rolls that lead into See See Rider!
I played that album till it was grey!
Today I don't play it as much as back then, mostly because I think it's badly edited and mixed (as most Elvis' live albums are). But because of the fact it made me into an Elvis fan it's one of my favourites.

Sonny

Tue May 06, 2003 8:32 pm

Hi there Andrew,

I got two tapes for my 10th birthday (in a few weeks that will be exactly 14 years ago :lol: ). I remember that I didnt played them for several months. Then one day I got curious and played one of them ( It was called 20 golden greats and contained 20 movie songs). The first song I heard was Jailhouse Rock, and that was the first time I heard Elvis.

It blew me away. Before that I didnt care much for music. It took me two years to gather around 20 tapes, all of them played till they fell lituraly appart lol In 1992 I "saw" Elvis for the first time during Aloha From Hawaii. From then on I became a 70´s fan, and that hasn´t changed.

The last 10 years i´ve lived (and still do) in two different worlds. During daytime, when i´m at work, I listen to the radio doing my work....but when I come home I enter my own Elvis world so to speak. At home I listen most of the time to Elvis, work on articles, reading the websites or simply listen to one of my 500 cd´s from Elvis and really enjoy that.

So, thats my storry......

Regards,
Stefan

Tue May 06, 2003 10:06 pm

I became interested in Elvis probably around 1975.
My father had two albums - Elvis' Golden Records (orange label - reprocessed stereo effect) and Aloha From Hawaii (orange label).

I can't remember specifically what I heard that got me interested in his music but what I do remember
is listening to EGR on my parents old RCA stereo turntable/speaker combo.
I played the hell outta that thing.

I sent a letter to ELvis back in late 1975 and to my delight I received a return letter from Graceland.
It was a Hawaii concert photo (January 12 show) with a map of the U.S. on the back showing all the cities he toured from 1970-74.
Man I wish I still had that picture.

I visited Graceland with my family in August of 1976.
"Touched the gate and everything!!!"
Elvis was on tour at the time but I did meet Vester.
Little did I know that one year later he would be gone.

I really started to explore his music and his life after he died.
I remember listening to "Welcome To My World" LP (which had just come out) the night he died.
I have to admit I shed a few tears that night.
Once I heard "Help Me Make It Through The Night" I was gone.

I can't express the impact that Elvis has had on my life as I'm sure he has had on many of yours.

Tue May 06, 2003 10:20 pm

Having been born with the last name of Presley, the other kids at school were always asking me, "any kin to Elvis?" Anyway, having lived through a rather sheltered childhood, I didn't really know too much about Elvis until a friend of mine and myself down the street decided to borrow some of his mother's 45's. One of those was of those was Hound Dog / Don't Be Cruel (I still have it). That was when I was hooked. And a few months later I purchased my very own store bought Elvis record. (Do The Clam)
Terry

Tue May 06, 2003 11:54 pm

I was about for or five years old and saw the '68 comeback special on TV and he was sitting on stage jamming wearing that leather outfit and it just grabbed me like a religious experience. He was raw, powerful and like a caged animal. Dangerous and I loved it! I remember wishing that I had leather suit like his.

Wed May 07, 2003 12:09 am

My mother listened to Elvis a lot when she was pregnant with me. At least that's what she's told me to understand why I listen to Elvis since I was born (and obviously even before). LOL! I later shocked the kindergarten worker when I told her my favorite song was "Jailhose Rock". I remember when I listened to it as a child (it was on "A Portrait In Music" BTW) and I thought: "Wow, that's it ..."

I'm not the typical Elvis-fan, I guess - in fact I listen to a whole lot of other music. But I guess Elvis will always be the alpha and omega of my musical journey. I started it with Elvis and I will always come back. Not because he's the "King" and all that jazz. Simply because he was so pretty darn good as a singer, musician and artist.

How I got into Elvis...

Wed May 07, 2003 12:50 am

I was 6 years old when I saw the CBS special Elvis In Concert in 1977. I've heard about this singer Elvis Presley but at the time didn't know who he was. Then my mom told me he died a few months prior to the broadcast. I didn't spend a lot of time watching the show because all I saw was an overweight singer on stage.

Then there was a period that the Elvis movies were on TV and one of them was Blue Hawaii. I liked the song "Can't Help Falling In Love" and asked my mom who the actor was. "That's Elvis Presley" she said. A friend of the family copied a greatest hits LP on cassette and I was very impressed with the outfit Elvis wore on the cover.

There weren't any singles of Elvis in the stores but only the LP's so I bought some Elvis records in a second-hand record store and You'll Never Walk Alone was one of them. Because I liked the suits which Elvis wore on the covers I started to buy only 70's LP's and so I became an Elvis fan. Now I like Elvis during his entire carreer but if I'm honest, my favourite part of his career is during the 1970's.

Wed May 07, 2003 1:37 am

Back in 1956 when Hound Dog came blasting through the AM radio...

And blew the world away :!:

Wed May 07, 2003 2:09 am

When I was a teen I thought Elvis was just a fat guy in a jumpsuit who died on the toilet and ate fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches.

I became a fan of the British band The Smiths around 1991 and the lead singer had a big thing for Elvis. They put Elvis on one of their singles (see avatar) and covered "His Latest Flame" on one of their live albums. The lead singer went solo and would wear Elvis shirts and played Elvis music over the PA before he came onstage.

Around 1992 or '93 I got a job at a record store and a guy there who was a few years older than me (21, 22) was a HUGE Elvis fan. He explained to me alot about the Elvis Myth, like for instance how most Elvis fans believed he was in fact dead. I bought my first Elvis cd, "Heart And Soul" around that time. It took me a few more years before I started avidly buying Elvis cd's. I bought the 50's/60's/70's box sets from the Columbia Record Club for like $30 apiece and from then on I've been collectin' Elvis cd's.

Wed May 07, 2003 3:10 am

I was four-years-old and my aunt put on Burning Love and Hist from His Movies Volume 2. Burning Love came on and I was hooked.

Soon afterwards, my parents purchased The Legndary Magic of Elvis Presley from an ad on TV. I playd that record to death and once even left out near the window where it became slightly warped. Still, we got into play.

Since then, I have increased my collection. I am twenty-six, but those Elvis records still catapult me to my childhood. Thanks, Aunt Ginny :D

Mike C

Wed May 07, 2003 4:57 am

THis might be close to the exact moment. Back in 1964 at the Federation theatre.Image

Wed May 07, 2003 5:26 am

Well it was when the "Guitar Man" album came out.... :lol:
only joking........

When I was a few years old Elvis was played regularly on the radio. When we got a record player I went to the record store and looked around for something to play. I saw a few Elvis records and bought an Elvis EP. Then my sister bought me ALLC for my birthday. I always liked Elvis...can't pinpoint it...he was always there, but then the 68 special came on and WOW. I bought every release from then on. It was only after his death that I went back and collected his old originals.

:mrgreen:

Wed May 07, 2003 5:37 am

I am 23 unfortunatly Elvis was not alive when I was born :( I use to be a Hank Williams SR fan and a ZZ Top freak when I was at the age of 5. Then one day my mom came home and had bought a new tape. It was the Camden version of ELVIS' CHRISTMAS ALBUM. I didn't get to excited after listening to it, but I thought Elvis had a good voice. Two weeks later mom had gotten another Elvis cassette, PURE GOLD. I Listened to that and I was hooked right then and there. A few weeks later it would be my birthday and I went into our local record store to find a couple of Elvis tapes. I was suprised to see how many there were. I finally ended up getting WELCOME TO MY WORLD and HOW GREAT THOU ART. I choose both because of there covers, I thought they were great, especially the WELCOME TO MY WORLD one. I didn't realize at the time the HOW GREAT THOU ART tape was gospel. I liked anyway. It wouldn't be until 1991 when I'd start collecting Elvis CD's, Now I'm hooked and I won't rest until I get them all :twisted:

Wed May 07, 2003 6:37 pm

Hi Everyone

My Mum bought me my first Elvis album (Hits' of the 70's) when I was I guess 4 or 5 years old. I remember listening to this album as I grew up, and can still remember the skips on "Rags To Riches" LOL

To be honest though, Elvis never really impacted on me truly until the 10th anniversary of his death back in 1987. There was so much coverage on the radio at this time and I distinctly remember hearing his voice on the radio singing "Jailhouse Rock" and it just made me go.......Jeezzusss, I never heard anybody sing like this before!!! Such feeling, such passion and such agression in one song, amazing.

After that I started to collect any albums I could get my hands on, and thankfully managed to get just about all of the original albums on vinyl (well re-issues of course) after a few years collecting. I bought nearly all my collection from a local record shop. I remember commenting on the cool amount of Elvis LP's in the shop one day, and to my amazement the owner of the shop told me to have a look upstairs.......I was gob-smacked LOL Turned out that the shop owner was a huge fan and had more elvis memorabelia than I could have dreamed of. He got me signed copies of books and everything after that. Totally cool.

Not long after becoming a fan, I saw a picture of Elvis' grave in a magazine and couldn't believe my eyes when I realised that Elvis and I shared the same birthday. I was born in 1973, about 6 days old when Aloha first went out. This really gave me an even stronger connection with the King, very important to a teenage boy who lost his own father the same year that Elvis died. So I guess he kinda became my hero too at some point.

Anyways, that's how I became a fan :)

Clarke

I GOT LUCKY...

Wed May 07, 2003 7:18 pm

I bought the "I Got Lucky" Camden release back in 1975 - basically because the name Elvis Presley sounded familiar enough and the LP was extremely CHEAP ! Then, I bought all of the other budget albums... Then, I bought... well, most everything.

I think indeed that "I got lucky, when I found" it/him...

JM

Thu May 08, 2003 2:02 pm

Thanks everyone!

Some really interesting stories.

Tupelo Boy, if you are a Man Utd supporter, please ask Sir Alex to put out a reserve side against Everton - we need to get into Europe!

Thu May 08, 2003 3:26 pm

"Burning Love", the first Elvis song I ever heard, caught me - hook, line, & sinker. That did it.

After that, a few other things stand out in my early memories of first discovering Elvis: "Kentucky Rain", "Don't Cry Daddy", "Aloha From Hawaii."

Later on, the albums "Legendary Performer", "EP BLVD.", "Moody blue", and "EIC" ............ by then, I was hoplessely addicted.

The music, it's always the music.

N8
...just a fan....

Fri May 09, 2003 3:14 am

I got "into" Elvis the day I met him. See concert review #3.

Fri May 09, 2003 11:44 am

Borrowed a cassette from a friend, didn't even have label or a song list in it. Just a regular best of with all the Love Me Tenders, Hound Dogs and the like. That's how i started. Obviously i knew of Elvis before that but can't remember if i was familiar with his songs. I must have 9 or 10 years old at the time.

Fri May 09, 2003 12:18 pm

Here's my Elvis story: I was 9 years old when Elvis passed away, and I have no recollection of ever even hearing him up to that point. Then in 1980 I obtained a cassette copy of "Rockin' Days" LP, but I still wasn't very impressed. I actually remember disliking Elvis' voice! (Go figure?)

But then on October 16, 1983 (for some reason I can remember the date, which makes me a rather sad individual, I guess :wink: ) I saw "That's the Way It Is" on TV. By the time Elvis had done Polk Salad Annie, I was a fan. Haven't looked back since!

For some peculiar reason, TTWII is not my favorite movie, though. No prices for guessing which is... (hint: see avatar).
A guilty pleasure, to be sure!

Fri May 09, 2003 12:43 pm

here's my story ...
i'm 37 years old and i've never heard about Elvis before the day he died . I was not into music like today . I saw him on tv and itwas a real shock ! i've started to ask my parents to buy me some lps from the King . I went crazy about his music and general rock and roll . at the begining of the 80's i've started to listen some other stuff (hard rock an heavy metal and some new wave) .
I've been into a lot of music styles throught the years thinking a good song is a good song anyway and it doesn't have to be just rock or hard rock to be good . I've played in a rock band for 5 years (pixies style) . After the split , i was fed up with all this "new" music trend and i did not find any really interesting new bands to listen , except for Marylin manson and garbage . In 1997 i was in a big record store when i saw the "1956" cd and i though "could be a great rock'n roll cd...let's buy it !" , since then i don't listen anything else ...almost :lol: i re-became an elvis fan , it was a kind of circle , back to my roots . I've started to buy on cd the old lps and to collect imports . With internet i've met a lot of other fans worldwide and started my own site .
Very often , some of my friends ask me "news ?? news about elvis ?? you're kidding !!" That makes me realize we've got a lot of luck to have this activity about our idol , every week we have a new release , some news on our collection, pics and everything ! That makes the elvis community a great place and a small world after all !
all the best
Olivier from France

Fri May 09, 2003 1:52 pm

Hated Elvis especially his movies, my sisters used to watch them on the weekend on the only TV we had, it really used to give me the ssshhheeetts :shock: . Anyway in 1977 they played Way Down on the radio as 'his new single just out' I thought it was fantastic, so on August 9th 1977 I went to the shops & bought the single, I played it about 50 times over the next week...I loved it to death, I had become 'one of them :lol: ...an Elvis fan'. Then on August 17th (being Australia), they were playing Moody Blue on the morning radio, when they cut in half way through the song to announce that they've just had a news flash, 'we've been informed that Elvis Presley has just been pronounced dead by the Baptist Memorial Hospital in Memphis apparently of a heart attack, he was 42 years of age', they then announced this is his new single, Way Down, they then played Way Down....I was a bit dazed for the rest of the day after that, it was like someone I had only just met had died...weird. Have been a fan ever since.

Hey Londonflash, apart from asking Sir Alex to send out the reserve team against Everton, how about asking Chelsea to send their reserves out against Liverpool so we can get into the Champions League :lol:

Fri May 09, 2003 3:23 pm

Ray wrote:I was a bit dazed for the rest of the day

I think I was a bit dazed for weeks. :cry:
I couldn't play my collection for a while, had to force myself to put the records on one day and get back into it. :cry: