Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
sterlini
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Awesome Video San Diego, CA 11/15/70 - I don't remember this

Post by sterlini »

I'm sure I have over looked this, but what DVD does this appear on?
This is some of the best footage I have seen, especially for early 70's

Ok, I'm not as well versed as many of you, but do have quite the collection and really don't recall seeing this
Anyone????

Topic author
sterlini

Re: Awesome Video San Diego, CA 11/15/70 - I don't remember

Post by sterlini »

Sorry, it copied the wrong link for some reason

GuyLambert
Registered for: 15 years 8 months

Post by GuyLambert »

Outstanding, thanks.

Z0S0
Registered for: 19 years 5 months

Post by Z0S0 »

its the footage that was used in the 'Behind the image' dvd !!!

it is indeed superb footage, very well filmed and clearly shows how great 8mm can look when taken from the master etc !!!

elvis of course looks superb in it too!

i actually have mixed feelings about the winter 70 tour !
it foreshadows everything that was to come, especially 4 yrs later!
he was at the peak of his powers really, in excellent shape & excellent voice
but already was abusing it all for the sake of a high, these shows are short & rushed, fuelled by amphetamines & sometimes a cocky arrogance !
unprofessional & not an overall effort at crowd pleasing !

its a shame that this early in his 70's carear he was already bored, full of drugs and just wanted to get it over with & get out !!!

" Never was so Influential a Man so poorly prepared for his fate - nor so ineptly schooled for its Consequences"

"There was a reason they nicknamed him the King of Rock + Roll, !!!
THIS is the way ELVIS should be remembered! This is true greatness in the churchillian sense:
swaggering, daring, Proud yet humble, beaten yet never truly down,
MAGNIFICENT when victorious and always unforgettable! "

( Q magazine review 'Artist Of The Century' Dec 1999 )

Topic author
sterlini

Post by sterlini »

Man, those blond moments are really hitting me today! Maybe it was just wishful thinking that some other footage was circling around that I haven't seen. Yes, I do have the series and yes remember the footage. Maybe having the sound threw me off. I am assuming the sound was dubbed in, If I remember correctly, I spoke to Bud years back and he stated the footage was silent

JimmyCool
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Mood:

Post by JimmyCool »

I wish these shows were professionally filmed; he's more energetic then he was in August, almost like a caged animal... I like it! :wink:

Note: This post is intended solely for FECC forum readers. Unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this post is strictly prohibited.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

well i have never seen this before and if sound is real too that's very interesting-nice ending to sus minds and i just about was able to work out a Show track-list from this 6'21" footage fantastic to see thanks for posting the link!~ 8) :lol:

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

Topic author
sterlini

Post by sterlini »

I had another posting here-
Best Import Concert DVD'S ???? http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=65913 and added this YouTube link.

User "First In Line" posted:
The San Diego footage is on the Papa Bear dvd "The King On Tour 70 - 71"

frus75
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by frus75 »

Great video!

Iván

La voz del Rey

DEH
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Post by DEH »

I have to admit that i am disappointed when i listen to the September and November 1970 shows. He does not sound like he is drugged up to me. It's the short shows that are a letdown. These were his first on tour shows since the 50's and some nights he barely puts in 40 to 45 minutes!!! shorter than at lot of the Vegas shows. The Seattle show in November is embarassingly short. i don't think it even makes it to 40 min. WTF?

And yet the November 1971 is amazing. what was wrong in September and November of 1970?

BrianTCB
Registered for: 13 years 3 months

Post by BrianTCB »

DEH wrote:I have to admit that i am disappointed when i listen to the September and November 1970 shows. He does not sound like he is drugged up to me. It's the short shows that are a letdown. These were his first on tour shows since the 50's and some nights he barely puts in 40 to 45 minutes!!! shorter than at lot of the Vegas shows. The Seattle show in November is embarassingly short. i don't think it even makes it to 40 min. WTF?

And yet the November 1971 is amazing. what was wrong in September and November of 1970?
My guess is he's probably trying to either 1. Get used to longer show lengths, 2. Try and see what the audience would like best, 3. Try and see what he likes best. By November of 1971 he already has his rhythm down and is able to adapt to the longer shows no problem.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

Generally speaking i prefer his November shows because of the addition of How Great Thou Art performed, however i do agree a couple of November shows are too short in running time! :| :?

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

Z0S0

Post by Z0S0 »

DEH wrote:I have to admit that i am disappointed when i listen to the September and November 1970 shows. He does not sound like he is drugged up to me. It's the short shows that are a letdown. These were his first on tour shows since the 50's and some nights he barely puts in 40 to 45 minutes!!! shorter than at lot of the Vegas shows. The Seattle show in November is embarassingly short. i don't think it even makes it to 40 min. WTF?

sorry but by this point, he WAS using vast quantities of drugs daily , uppers & downers & B12/amphetamine SHOTS !!! ! it was 1970 when he stepped things up a gear and it all got more serious and he started the hardcore 'downers' !!!

he WAS in great shape in vegas for the TTWII filming , though i suspect that was a serious effort on his part but he did do a great job of it !
However
pretty much as soon as the cameras had left,
he started hitting the amphetamines in a heavy way! those last 2 wks in vegas are very telling !!
This pattern carried on into the winter tour , espec the sept run -
without much of a break to recuperate & recharge he is CLEARLY full of uppers !

in sept - he is rushing through the shows because hes 'speeding' his ass off, i suspect he was also burnt out from the recent month in vegas & the extensive rehearsals and needing a break, i think he was bored too, even though its a significant tour he had just performed almost the exact same show twice a day for 4wks in vegas , not good timing really but then marty lacker claims elvis loved this tour ??????

really by Nov you would think the needed break & refreshment would have been achieved but he doesnt seem to be feeling it and is performing much like sept !
he'd certainly changed a lot from the superb Feb engagement !!!

again, its also telling that it wouldnt be long after this tour when he would take off in a drug fueled rage on his mad mission to go get himself an FBI/DEA badge direct from the white-house !!
apparently his EGO was through the roof at this point & those pills will & clearly did, do that!

you cant dismiss the drugs as being a major factor in his performance & general behavior by this point! Though amazingly he was still strong enough & i guess in control enough to be able to get away with it, just - not like what was just round the corner!!

but it was 1970 in hindsight when things got darker & weirder, dr nick became a permanent fixture: wearing the TCB glasses constantly, the girl on girl wrestling, the obsession with Guns peaked, (along with actually firing them & putting them in the face of MM etc) dressing like a superfly gangster, carrying a 'flashlight' constantly , becoming obsessed with all things police and 'spy' like and wanting to be a 'NARC' !!!!! all quite weird behavior for a singer !

It was only the next summer when all the destructive & erratic behavior would increase further,
the hycodan OD's would start, (especially for some of the poor girls !) and the 'Thick' tongue would be noticeable as the downers increased !!

" Never was so Influential a Man so poorly prepared for his fate - nor so ineptly schooled for its Consequences"

THIS is the way ELVIS should be remembered! This is true greatness in the churchillian sense:

Julian Grant
Registered for: 13 years 1 month

Post by Julian Grant »

Interesting post Z0S0 and well put. Elvis was always eccentric but it certainly escalated in tandem with his intake of pills . While wearing a turban or carrying a police flashlight everywhere may be deemed as 'weird' behavior there's nothing wrong with a little "girl on girl wrestling". :smt023

DEH

Post by DEH »

Drugs were not a problem in 1970. And his visit to The President was not drug fueled.

Z0S0

Post by Z0S0 »

DEH wrote:Drugs were not a problem in 1970. And his visit to The President was not drug fueled.
you have got to be freaking kidding !! wake up & smell the coffee!

EVERYTHING about the whitehouse trip was drug-fuelled, the desire to be a NARC,
storming out of graceland ALONE & flying OFF on his mission, not to be dissuaded !
have you read the letter he wrote on the plane ????????????
sonny, jerry & the rest of the MM would disagree with you 100% but who i am to
try to convince !

drugs we're indeed a very real problem in 1970, this was the beginning of the end,
by this point he had already been abusing speed & demerol for 10yrs !!!

I spose you also believe he was totally CLEAN leading upto, during & after Aloha ???

take off the glasses, he was still amazing in 1970 but the drugs we're very present !

Z0S0

Post by Z0S0 »

Julian Grant wrote:Interesting post Z0S0 and well put. Elvis was always eccentric but it certainly escalated in tandem with his intake of pills . While wearing a turban or carrying a police flashlight everywhere may be deemed as 'weird' behavior there's nothing wrong with a little "girl on girl wrestling". :smt023
thankyou Julian! I agree he was always eccentric & 'crazy' but theres crazy & theres just plain baffling & weird ! and it got a lot weirder ! :cry:

DEH

Post by DEH »

Z0S0 wrote:
DEH wrote:Drugs were not a problem in 1970. And his visit to The President was not drug fueled.
you have got to be freaking kidding !! wake up & smell the coffee!

EVERYTHING about the whitehouse trip was drug-fuelled, the desire to be a NARC,
storming out of graceland ALONE & flying OFF on his mission, not to be dissuaded !
have you read the letter he wrote on the plane ????????????
sonny, jerry & the rest of the MM would disagree with you 100% but who i am to
try to convince !

drugs we're indeed a very real problem in 1970, this was the beginning of the end,
by this point he had already been abusing speed & demerol for 10yrs !!!

I spose you also believe he was totally CLEAN leading upto, during & after Aloha ???

take off the glasses, he was still amazing in 1970 but the drugs we're very present !

Not saying he was not taking them. But they were not yet a problem. And both Sonny and Jerry who were on the trip with him have said he was not drugged up. The trip started out from anger. He got into a fight with priscilla and his dad over his spending.

Carrying a flash light around and wearing a turbon are not signs of drug abuse. Elvis was not a normal guy. This is a guy who got dressed up in football gear in the 60's to watch a football game. Not because of drugs. That's just the type of guy he was.

shawn
Registered for: 13 years 9 months

Post by shawn »

DEH wrote:

Not saying he was not taking them. But they were not yet a problem. And both Sonny and Jerry who were on the trip with him have said he was not drugged up. The trip started out from anger. He got into a fight with priscilla and his dad over his spending.

Carrying a flash light around and wearing a turbon are not signs of drug abuse. Elvis was not a normal guy. This is a guy who got dressed up in football gear in the 60's to watch a football game. Not because of drugs. That's just the type of guy he was.
I agree with you. Seems some need to study more EP history. :) Then too, most of the "guys" were just as "into drugs" as he was. I often wonder how they even knew what Elvis was doing or if they even knew where he was during some of the later years.Elvis was fascinated with Law Enforcement & had many friends in that line of work. In many ways he was kind of child-like. Putting on a football uniform & getting a badge.... he could dress the part & be whatever he wanted to be. He was an actor, after all. :D

rjm

Post by rjm »

Z0S0 wrote:

sorry but by this point, he WAS using vast quantities of drugs daily , uppers & downers & B12/amphetamine SHOTS !!! ! it was 1970 when he stepped things up a gear and it all got more serious and he started the hardcore 'downers' !!!

he WAS in great shape in vegas for the TTWII filming , though i suspect that was a serious effort on his part but he did do a great job of it !
However
pretty much as soon as the cameras had left,
he started hitting the amphetamines in a heavy way! those last 2 wks in vegas are very telling !!
This pattern carried on into the winter tour , espec the sept run -
without much of a break to recuperate & recharge he is CLEARLY full of uppers !

in sept - he is rushing through the shows because hes 'speeding' his ass off, i suspect he was also burnt out from the recent month in vegas & the extensive rehearsals and needing a break, i think he was bored too, even though its a significant tour he had just performed almost the exact same show twice a day for 4wks in vegas , not good timing really but then marty lacker claims elvis loved this tour ??????

really by Nov you would think the needed break & refreshment would have been achieved but he doesnt seem to be feeling it and is performing much like sept !
he'd certainly changed a lot from the superb Feb engagement !!!

again, its also telling that it wouldnt be long after this tour when he would take off in a drug fueled rage on his mad mission to go get himself an FBI/DEA badge direct from the white-house !!
apparently his EGO was through the roof at this point & those pills will & clearly did, do that!

you cant dismiss the drugs as being a major factor in his performance & general behavior by this point! Though amazingly he was still strong enough & i guess in control enough to be able to get away with it, just - not like what was just round the corner!!

but it was 1970 in hindsight when things got darker & weirder, dr nick became a permanent fixture: wearing the TCB glasses constantly, the girl on girl wrestling, the obsession with Guns peaked, (along with actually firing them & putting them in the face of MM etc) dressing like a superfly gangster, carrying a 'flashlight' constantly , becoming obsessed with all things police and 'spy' like and wanting to be a 'NARC' !!!!! all quite weird behavior for a singer !

It was only the next summer when all the destructive & erratic behavior would increase further,
the hycodan OD's would start, (especially for some of the poor girls !) and the 'Thick' tongue would be noticeable as the downers increased !!
From everything I have read, it seemed to be a certain precise time that year when he went over a kind of cliff. Mind you, it was not really visible in his performances as I can see. He looked lean and mean . . . and all of that. (This concert video has seeminlgy been removed!].)

What you see:

If you look at the candid photos - particularly off the stage at this precise time, you can practically "carbon date" the time when things became apparent, and he got into this fever -- about the Drug Badge, and the "War On Drugs," etc. And his physical appearance began to change. He got oddly puffy, and by Dec. 21, in The White House, he looks puffy and red-eyed. When he got the call to come over to the White House, he seems not to have bothered to even get his hair in order: it is rather ruffled.

The background:

At the time, he had been served with a paternity suit. His attorney got a private eye named John O'Grady, a former LAPD narcotics squad cop. O'Grady was tight with the then-current administration and various celebrity friends, one of whom was Paul Fries (a voice-dubbing specialist). O'Grady actually said he thought he would be "good" for Elvis to get involved with "law enforcement." Oh, Lordy. He invited Elvis to a get-together that included Fries. He showed Elvis his Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs (soon, the DEA) Badge. O'Grady encouraged this, and Elvis saw this in his own way. He now NEEDED that badge. BIG TIME. He started making serious contacts with people who were involved in some way with the Nixon administration. People who would have knowledge that he needed. That Joyce Bova worked in the House of Rep.'s seems not to be coincidental to me. He apparently met with "agnew" (how Elvis spelled it, lower-case, in the infamous Letter). He found a Sen. George Murphy with whom to share his "concerns."

The Fever:

Yes. Now that Elvis knew all about the coming, coming quickly I might add, "War On Drugs," he started arming himself for bear.
Is it any wonder that the music might have been something of a distraction at this time? On Sep. 22, he had a recording session. Priscilla was present, and was asked by the musician why he seemed to be rushing and unfocused. "There are reasons," was the reply. They assumed drugs, or said they did after the fact.

As for the session, in between tours, it was problematic, certainly. He missed the day before - which was scheduled, but then rushed through on the 22nd. He said he had to get back by midnight. Interestingly, Jimi Hendrix had just died on September 18th. Janis Joplin would be gone on Oct. 4. The media went as nuts as they could at the time.

And Elvis was in a hurry. By Oct. 27, the "Controlled Substances Act" was signed into law, which would take effect the following May.

Elvis was in a hurry. Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees.

rjm
P.S. -- If this seems complex, it is because it was. Elvis was definitely using drugs, and now, through this Private Eye, he found out that the whip was coming down. And he had to act in self-protection. Not from the drugs, but from "The War On Drugs." Anyone so consumed would be distracted from his work, in this case, his art.

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64

Z0S0

Post by Z0S0 »

DEH wrote:

im not going to keep going round in circles on this, i dont have to convince anyone !
ask 'flash newman' if he was abusing in 1970 !

i am fully aware of ALL his history and all the story's,
i know his history as well as i know my own , starting in saltillo at 4:35am on Jan 8th 1935 !

Its a nice myth to believe that he was still totally in control & basically straight by mid/late 1970 and he certainly looked good enough & sounded good enough, but the reality is that he was already heading down the path that would ultimately consume his body & soul !
billy smith claims he was wasted "60% of the time" - "he ALWAYS had pills in him "

ill choose to believe the truth, same as i know he wasnt totally clean for aloha - it doesnt take away my admiration or love for his talent !!

i never said anything about a turban, though that in itself is deeper & darker than just 'fancy dress' - that was related to the 'laying on off hands' & elvis believing himself to be so powerful he could 'HEAL' the sick (the whole mario situation in 73 is related to this!!)
not drug related you think ????

The whole police thing is not just an interest , it was a total obsession culminating in the whitehouse visit ! as for jerry, he tends to take the 'charlie' line of keeping it clean, hes also 'IN' with cilla & tows the line ! Im confident sonny would in fact confirm elvis was flying high in washington, no one just strolls up to the whitehouse demanding a DEA badge, i dont care how big your ego is !!

as for the argument, again im very aware of this - thanks for educating me though!
i know his daddy & cilla who we're both tightwads & obsessed with his spending had complained about the purchase of 10 mercedes and a ton of guns (amongst other things) along with paying for sonnys wedding which they we're both always jealous off , (giving to the MM)
cilla claims he wanted to fire the colnoel at this point too , which vernon was always against !!

do you think this argument 2 yrs before would have caused him to storm off to the whitehouse ??

Z0S0

Post by Z0S0 »

rjm wrote:
From everything I have read, it seemed to be a certain precise time that year when he went over a kind of cliff.

At the time, he had been served with a paternity suit.

His attorney got a private eye named John O'Grady,

he found out that the whip was coming down. And he had to act in self-protection. .
interesting post rjm!

i think the paternity suit was probably the start of things, not sure why it would really bother him so much but it clearly did & he was still talking about it 4 yrs later , then a few wks later they got that death threat & got the FBi involved !

O'grady was clearly a part of what was to follow, filling elvis with all kinds of stories & notions including HOW to actually get the much desired badge !!
its interesting to note that when he performed the polygraph on elvis, he noted his slow pulse & breathing & suspected 'downers' ! Its also interesting how a former 'head of narcotics' would ingratiate himself into this world !!

as for self-protection , you think his whole motive for the 'badge' was purely for his own drugs & drug use - so they/he would be safe & untouchable ??
id go along with that though i also believe it was clearly a 'power issue' and the ability to carry guns across state lines etc (not that he seemed bothered)

i also think he loved the idea of being able to bust (if not kill - ask Red) drug dealers etc !!!
which is rather ironic really !

its all quite fascinating stuff really & miles away from the life/image you imagine when you ONLY play the music !!!

as for the puffy look, i believe thats from Demerol use , same as cortison would cause it later on!
he has the same problem in 'On Tour' - his body is lean & tight but his face isnt quite right !

He was still an amazing performer in 1970 & i take nothing away from him!
i probably play the 'TTWII' shows & rehearsals more than anything else !

Michel
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Post by Michel »

The footage is already deleted from Youtube.

rjm

Post by rjm »

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1876&dat=19700915&id=-IAsAAAAIBAJ&sjid=a80EAAAAIBAJ&pg=4965,2665437

A lotta stories on this in papers all over. Notice any similarities to The Letter?

rjm

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

rjm

Post by rjm »

I saved this post cause getting the newspaper link was more pressing. Everyone here should see it.

Krogh said he and Nixon were bewildered: "brainwashing?" They didn't know! This is in his recent interview with Gaar.

Meanwhile, I saved this post:

There was a sort of delusional power trip thing going on. I think he needed to feel powerful precisely when he felt a serious loss of control. So, thus, all these symbols of power. Including sticking his hand into the president's desk drawer!

It doesn't really matter what the fight was about: 'cilla told one version in her memoir, and another is in Guralnick! The main thing is that he was confronted about something, and he didn't like it one bit. Vernon was very worried. In Nash's MM book, they recall him doing a room-to-room search: "have you seen E'vis?" No way to ask him. Doesn't really matter: Elvis would show 'em! And off he went on Elvis's Most Excellent Adventure.

The irony is he thought it so slick to have O'Grady, who quickly worked as a double agent for Vernon!

There are a lot of people who should have responded differently. But those were scary times. In the world, not just for Elvis.

rjm

Aeschylus