Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: New Stereo Remixes here: Swing Down Sweet Chariot - Haw

Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:12 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:The live "Swing Down Sweet Chariot" is cool. I don't understand how you can produce stereo mixes from MONO masters? How do you do it? It's impossible, surely!

There are different ways to do this, if you are interested here's one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmInNdoE7_U

But dispite of the latest technoligy the the most important thing is very hard hard work and a lot of time he is putting into these stereo remixes. Tanks for sharing MSpock "brilliant work" :D .

Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:15 pm

hli wrote:
Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:The live "Swing Down Sweet Chariot" is cool. I don't understand how you can produce stereo mixes from MONO masters? How do you do it? It's impossible, surely!

But dispite of the latest technoligy the the most important thing is very hard hard work and a lot of time he is putting into these stereo remixes. Tanks for sharing MSpock "brilliant work" :D .

His are different. What you saw there was mere technology, with no artistic flourish whatsover, in my view. Sometimes MSpock won't go for the stereo, but for a more spacious sound, or other things that are just unbeatable. And some are still quite mysterious despite this alleged "forensics" approach. I can name a few here that boggle the mind, but that also are so fine, that you really don't care how they're done.

You cannot reduce art to technology; if you do, it'll show.

rjm
P.S. -- Ok, a Trek allegory. The Ferengi also "will have" warp drive and some pretty fancy tech; they're still always out of their depth.

Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:40 pm

rjm wrote:
hli wrote:

His are different. What you saw there was mere technology, with no artistic flourish whatsover, in my view. Sometimes MSpock won't go for the stereo, but for a more spacious sound, or other things that are just unbeatable. And some are still quite mysterious despite this alleged "forensics" approach. I can name a few here that boggle the mind, but that also are so fine, that you really don't care how they're done.

You cannot reduce art to technology; if you do, it'll show.

rjm
P.S. -- Ok, a Trek allegory. The Ferengi also "will have" warp drive and some pretty fancy tech; they're still always out of their depth.

I understand and agree what you are saying, it was more of an example of how mono could be turned into stereo.
There are different ways to do so and there's obviously more to it than technology. Talend, time and very hard work are the things that turns this into art.
I'm not reducing art to technology, but still we need the modern technology to create these. Thought this example would gave a good impression of how it could be done.

Re: New Stereo Remixes here: Praying and Paying

Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:06 pm

KingElvis wrote:
Big Boss Man wrote:MSpock you are an incredible song mixer - THANK YOU for all of these terrific tracks you've brought new life to!

BTW...would it be possible for you to do a Stereo mix version of Promised Land from one of the live soundboard releases?

+1
Love the 19/8-74 version from DAE cd.

OK, I posted a live mono Promised Land and remixed to stereo. I don't know which
one it is, just one I could grab from 1974.

Re: New Stereo Remixes here: Promised Land - live

Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:46 am

Hi hli,

I take your point about needing the tools. And I understand, too, that it couldn't be done without the tools. If you look at the that "demonstration" video of "That's All Right, Mama," where the person explains what he can do, he also asks you if you'd like to pay him to juice up your old records. Certainly people ought to be compensated for their work, if that's one reason they're doing it. Clearly, though, this fellow put this out as an advertisment to apply his "forensics" for hire, on anything you'd like for a price, and not as his own work of art. MSpock's productions are in a different league altogether. They absolutely dance with delight! With the loveliest flourishes and just-right touches. A spaciousness and delicacy to the sound that you can recognize as "his." Just a marvelous listening experience.

But there's more: I haven't listened in a long time to the horror foisted upon innocent record-buyers in the 1970s. It was called "electronically reprocessed stereo." So, I thought I'd just capture it, in all its horrifying glory. Right in the room, using 21st century technology (it records in 5.1 surround-sound, so that is a complication, along with room ambience. But basically, this is what you were assaulted with: gobs of irritating echo, doubled voices and instruments - all crashing into one another, not much difference between the channels (there is a visual representation of that, if you look), and sibilants spewing all over the place. Just AWFUL.

Here's what I recorded this afternoon. I don't even know if I captured the true hideousness of it. (When I get my turntable hooked up directly, it'll sound EVEN WORSE!!) But if it sounds awful, it's simply because it WAS awful.

And why I dig MSpock, big time!! So, let's do a little "time travel," shall we?

phpBB [video]

Hope you "enjoyed" the horrible listening experience. I don't know how else to put it. (Now go back, and listen to his "Lover Doll"!!!)

rjm

Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:15 am

Mods you should make this topic a sticky since it is often updated and already 5 pages deep. This is a great topic for a CD Collectors forum .
MrSpock has put into a lot of effort into this topic, and it's very enjoyable to visit as he updates it!

::rocks

Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:17 am

rjm wrote:Hi hli,

I take your point about needing the tools. And I understand, too, that it couldn't be done without the tools. If you look at the that "demonstration" video of "That's All Right, Mama," where the person explains what he can do, he also asks you if you'd like to pay him to juice up your old records. Certainly people ought to be compensated for their work, if that's one reason they're doing it. Clearly, though, this fellow put this out as an advertisment to apply his "forensics" for hire, on anything you'd like for a price, and not as his own work of art. MSpock's productions are in a different league altogether. They absolutely dance with delight! With the loveliest flourishes and just-right touches. A spaciousness and delicacy to the sound that you can recognize as "his." Just a marvelous listening experience.

But there's more: I haven't listened in a long time to the horror foisted upon innocent record-buyers in the 1970s. It was called "electronically reprocessed stereo." So, I thought I'd just capture it, in all its horrifying glory. Right in the room, using 21st century technology (it records in 5.1 surround-sound, so that is a complication, along with room ambience. But basically, this is what you were assaulted with: gobs of irritating echo, doubled voices and instruments - all crashing into one another, not much difference between the channels (there is a visual representation of that, if you look), and sibilants spewing all over the place. Just AWFUL.

Here's what I recorded this afternoon. I don't even know if I captured the true hideousness of it. (When I get my turntable hooked up directly, it'll sound EVEN WORSE!!) But if it sounds awful, it's simply because it WAS awful.

And why I dig MSpock, big time!! So, let's do a little "time travel," shall we?

phpBB [video]

Hope you "enjoyed" the horrible listening experience. I don't know how else to put it. (Now go back, and listen to his "Lover Doll"!!!)

rjm

Hi rjm

In all honestly i have to say that i own some of those "electronically reprocessed stereo." records
from the late 70's and early 80's, and yes they are a horror to listen to, but that was the best they good
do back then, there was no computerised technology, so to compare these to MSpock versions isn't completely honest. MSpock's productions are a brilliant work of art, It was not my intension with the posting of this example to bring Mrspock's work down to something that's only the result of some fancy audio software.

Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:48 am

I know it's not a "fair" comparison, but I think they could have done a little better or done nothing at all. It was defacing art to do that! I have every one of 'em.

But when it's done right, and in this case, REALLY right, it's such a joyous experience. I just wanted to make sure he knows how much we appreciate his work. It was the only "logical" thing to do. :D

rjm \\//

Re: New Stereo Remixes here: Hard Knocks - film stereo

Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:55 am

bump for Hard Knocks

Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:15 pm

The electronic stereo of 40 years ago - urghhhhhhh ! Hound Dog was particularly good - if you wanted to hear the Elvis twins singing, that is. I do believe the first Sun album (UK) used some of the reprocessed tracks, albeit not advertised as such. Certainly there was a maxi single issued from that album which sounded horrible.

The ultimate irony was that most of Elvis's 50s tracks (especially Sun) had sufficient 'echo' on them that they didn't need this sacriligious treatment. Thank goodness that, with constantly changing formats, most of the reprocessed tracks will have been lost, destroyed or discarded (especially by/from radio station libraries). Given the choice between listening only to those abominations, or no Elvis at all, I'd take the latter option.

There was one exception, though. I had As Long As I Have You on a 'stereo' EP, and that sounded rather effective, particularly the opening piano runs.

Steve Morse

Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:46 pm

Steve Morse wrote:The electronic stereo of 40 years ago - urghhhhhhh ! Hound Dog was particularly good - if you wanted to hear the Elvis twins singing, that is. I do believe the first Sun album (UK) used some of the reprocessed tracks, albeit not advertised as such. Certainly there was a maxi single issued from that album which sounded horrible.

I don't know about "The Sun Collection, but The Sun Sessions sound like genuine mono to me. I LOVED it!!! Actually heard these songs for what seemed like the first time!

But they did it to all the Sun tracks on various albums previously, so it was just a wretched thing to do. A lot of people missed the glory of some of his finest records because they heard them this way. What a buncha lunkheads."They sound funny, boy. Lotta echo on them." (I don't know when these first appeared, so I don't know if that's what he heard. But that's what they sound like.) The echoey voices can actually be noticed on the video I made, as one channel sorta goes up on its own, but only a kind of shadow. It's interesting, visually, to see how dumb this was. (And having heard the mono master, sure would LOVE to hear with a 21st century MSpock twist. Just a thought balloon.)

Steve Morse wrote:

The ultimate irony was that most of Elvis's 50s tracks (especially Sun) had sufficient 'echo' on them that they didn't need this sacriligious treatment. Thank goodness that, with constantly changing formats, most of the reprocessed tracks will have been lost, destroyed or discarded (especially by/from radio station libraries).

I have 'em all Steve. Want 'em? :lol:

Steve Morse wrote:

Given the choice between listening only to those abominations, or no Elvis at all, I'd take the latter option.

There was one exception, though. I had As Long As I Have You on a 'stereo' EP, and that sounded rather effective, particularly the opening piano runs.

Steve Morse

I could give it a listen. But, really . . .

rjm

Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:24 pm

Yes, rjm, I have suggested before that Elvis's 1970 comments about his Sun recordings may well have resulted from his hearing RCA's 'new' versions of them.

As far as I know, the first album of Sun tracks to appear officially was one put out in the UK around 1976 - "The Sun Collection". This is the album I was referring to and I still have it, and the maxi-single, though I am unlikely to ever play them again (unless I get more organised!). All subsequent dedicated Sun albums on major release have been in mono.

Steve Morse

Re: New Stereo Remixes here-Swing Down Sweet Chariot 1961 st

Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:39 pm

bump for Blue Moon

Re: New Stereo Remixes here: Blue Moon

Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:32 am

sounds great !!!

Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:14 pm

Heard "Blue Moon." Wow. That could not have been easy, as Sam gave you a few decisions to make . . . splendid!

rjm
P.S. -- That song makes me just nuts! Kid walks in off the street, more or less, and this wild, strange, inexpicable genius jumps out. I can imagine Sam listening, thinking: "what IS that? What kind of music is that?" Terrific job on this for-all-time classic.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:59 am

rjm wrote:Heard "Blue Moon." Wow. That could not have been easy, as Sam gave you a few decisions to make . . . splendid!

rjm
P.S. -- That song makes me just nuts! Kid walks in off the street, more or less, and this wild, strange, inexpicable genius jumps out. I can imagine Sam listening, thinking: "what IS that? What kind of music is that?" Terrific job on this for-all-time classic.

Thanks, guys. On "Blue Moon", I tried to remove the double vocal echo, revealing
a cleaner vocal.

Re: New Stereo Remixes here: Burning Love - fantasy video

Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:56 am

bump for Burning Love

Re: New Stereo Remixes here: If I Can Dream triple white st

Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:42 am

bump for If I Can Dream triple video

Re: New Stereo Remixes here: Praying and Paying

Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:17 am

MSpock wrote:
KingElvis wrote:
Big Boss Man wrote:MSpock you are an incredible song mixer - THANK YOU for all of these terrific tracks you've brought new life to!

BTW...would it be possible for you to do a Stereo mix version of Promised Land from one of the live soundboard releases?

+1
Love the 19/8-74 version from DAE cd.

OK, I posted a live mono Promised Land and remixed to stereo. I don't know which
one it is, just one I could grab from 1974.

It is, in fact, from the August 19, 1974 opening show in Las Vegas that you used for your remix...

Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:39 am

MSpock wrote:bump for If I Can Dream triple video

So, it was you! You did the Triple Elvis "If I Can Dream" video! It did go down recently. I assume that was yours. This is better.

Anyway, marvelous! Beautiful, elegant . . . what can I say? You kicked Andy Warhol to the curb!

rjm
(remember his "Triple Elvis" silkscreen?)

Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:18 pm

An absolutely SUPERB version of If I Can Dream! ::rocks

Thanks very much Mr.Spock :D

Re: New Stereo Remixes here: Hound Dog howl

Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:56 am

bump for Hound Dog Howl
(instrumental break in stereo)

Re: New Stereo Remixes here: Hound Dog howl

Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:52 am

MSpock wrote:bump for Hound Dog Howl
(instrumental break in stereo)

You got it! (And got it for us on the anniversary!)

This is clearly the hardest part of the record. :smt023

rjm

Re: New Stereo Remixes here: Big Milk Man

Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:29 pm

Many people don't know it but there was a Readers Digest CD released in 1986 that was a reprocessed stereo cd also. You can see it in the collections section (when they update it) of elvisoncd.com and you can see a totally unknown (until now at least on elvisoncd) pressing of it right here. These supposed stereo remixes are not the same imitation stereo remixes made for the 1984 cd's. These as I listen to them are done much more tasteful and minimal effect is added. If anyone is interested I can post a few songs from this release to compare with the 1984 releases. Maybe they can tell more about the mixes on this cd. Two of the songs are not on the 1984 reprocessed stereo releases. Playing for keeps and I was the one.

I don't know if their pressing from 1990 is back to mono or not as I don't have that one. I'm not a vinyl expert but this might have been issued on vinyl also.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: New Stereo Remixes here: Big Milk Man

Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:23 am

I dont have a U.S.A pressing of the later release but i do have a Candian one , I`ve had it for years but never played it so i just tried it out and it certainly isn`t mono but neither is it awful reprocessed stereo it actually sounds quite good.

P8180169.JPG

P8180171.JPG

Alan.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.