Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

An American Trilogy 20/3/74 - obvious audience overdub?

Tue May 06, 2003 3:43 pm

Sorry I didn't put this on with the other Memphis 74 post but I wasn't sure if anyone would respond to it on that one.

Listen to the start of An American Trilogy when you get home - watch (listen!) out for the reaction from the audience to the song.

Is it me or do they reprise it?

There's a very male sounding cheer almost as if at a footie match - it comes up twice in quick succession and, to my ears, sounds like it's the same! STRANGE.

Could anyone else check this out? Cheers me dears!

Tue May 06, 2003 4:00 pm

londonflash -

Just gave 'Trilogy' a listen.

Hmmmmm............not sure !

They could be fading the actual audience reaction in & out for effect.

An obvious example of overdubbed audience reaction is at the beginning of 'TTWII SE'.

During 'Mystery Train/Tiger Man' when Elvis first plays his 'air guitar', the audience goes wild !

Never heard this reaction on any of the audio-only versions !

I don't condemn them for this sort of thing, they are, after all, only trying to recreate the excitement of 'being there'.

Not easy when using visual/audio means [which can't really capture the whole 'atmosphere' of a real concert].

Colin B

Tue May 06, 2003 4:05 pm

Thanks Colin - I'll have to listen to it when I get home! Still sure it's strange.

I always thought you'd get more audience reaction from film footage rather than tape - don't know why!!!

You don't live all that far from me btw!

Wed May 07, 2003 3:14 am

The practice of adding/fiddling about with audience reaction is an unfortunate but common byproduct of live albums and videos etc. But on the Memphis album it is particularly obvious and inept. The whole album suffers from this.