Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: No doubt in my mind, Elvis would have liked rap music.

Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:43 am

TJ wrote:I don't think that rap would have been to his taste. He might have found some recordings to his liking if he had delved deeply, but I doubt that he would have been motivated to delve. Elvis was most moved by great singing and that's not really what rap is about.

That is not at all true.

Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:22 am

I agree with TJ. I think if Elvis had thought about it, he would have respected it at least in theory. (Songs like "Cop Killer" would have obviously turned him off.) However, I don't think he would have liked it that much because of his preference for great singing. This is after all a guy who couldn't take Bob Dylan straight (as many of his generation couldn't) and Dylan at least attempted to sing.

Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:38 am

Dang! You got that performance and here it is. That is so cool.

I thought she was great and it was a wonderful choice.

Amazing catch.

Oh, and if it means anything, they were "counterculture"; rap exists quite out of that context.

Again. Incredible: I just watched that on TV and you have it up here!

rjm
P.S. Elvis sure busts a rhyme in "Blue Moon Of Kentucky." Blue moon keep on shinin bright she gonna bringa me backa my baby tonight.

drjohncarpenter wrote:
rjm wrote:Speaking of septugenatian {sp?} music stars, anyone catch Joan Baez and Kris Kristofferson together the other night on Letterman? They did "Me and Bobby McGhee."

Dave didn't ask.

rjm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Me_and_Bobby_McGee

Joan leads the way. She is 70 and looks fabulous.

phpBB [video]

Joan Baez & Kris Kristofferson - Me and Bobby McGee (1969) (Live on Letterman 11-07-2011) [HD 1080p]

Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:45 am

intheghetto wrote:It's well known that Elvis did not like most [if not all] of the psychedelic music that was made during the 60s. Apparently he was no fan of the Rolling Stones either.

Well-known? Can you share your sources for these statements?

intheghetto wrote:Without arguing for or against rap music as a genre, I totally disagree that there is 'no doubt' that Elvis would have been a fan of rap. We'll never know, but my strong belief is that he would not have liked it, especially the gangsta rap of the 90s. I think he was more interested in melody than rhyme. I also think being the student of sacred music as he was, he would've been put off by the inherently aggressive nature of rap, but as I continue to write this comment it's occurring to me me that this topic is just an absurd observation. Elvis a fan of Tupac? Biggie? Eminem? I don't think so. To paraphrase a line from that classic SNL skit with Joe Piscopo as Sinatra; Elvis "would've found chunks of guys like that in his stool".

'No doubt' that Elvis would've liked rap?! I think you need to listen a little more closely to his music before you come up with such far fetched theories.

Speaking of "far fetched theories," your knowledge of hip-hop might be considered just a smidge narrow.

Food for thought.

Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:00 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
TJ wrote:Elvis was most moved by great singing and that's not really what rap is about.

That is not at all true.

I assume you are highlighting that rap is not simply talking, as some suggest, and I don't disagree. Those who say that don't realise the power and rhythm that the best rappers have. It's still not singing in the conventional sense though, any more than the various Elvis monologues are raps. Of course some rap songs do also contain regular singing, but that's not the hallmark of the genre.

You are evidently well schooled in hip hop and approaching this topic from that vantage point, but I don't think that would ever have been Elvis' position because I don't think he would have been sufficiently interested to make that his position. The same goes for music genres such as thrash metal. Can you imagine him saying "Hey, Charlie. Put on some damn Slayer man!"? This stuff was youth music and Elvis wasn't a youth. Yes it's now become more than that as the original admirers have grown up, but Elvis would have been 76 yrs old now, not a 40-something.

With his probable indifference to the genre, it's likely that the examples Elvis would have heard most about would have been the likes of the Ice-T track that LTB flagged up, ie those that caused controversy and were therefore heard outside the hip hop fan base. You can bet that one would have put Ice-T on Elvis' permanent sh*t list and maybe caused some TVs to take a bullet.

It really doesn't matter though. If, as I suspect, Elvis wouldn't have been interested in rap, it doesn't say a whole lot about either Elvis or rap.

Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:42 pm

I knew this topic would soon turn into a farce with some of the most absurd statements ever made about Elvis.

Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:45 pm

Joe Car wrote:I say this, not as a fan of rap music, (which I could take or leave), but as a fan of a man who gave every genre a music a chance. As I listen to all the different types of music our guy sang so brilliantly, I could never see him dismiss rap music, he loved music too much, especially because it would have been fresh for him! I wouldn't have said that, even six months ago, but I say that as I explore Elvis' work even deeper. I watch the joy and brilliance of the sit-down sessions and I can picture him at home, trying it out, perhaps in a combination with his music, I don't know, but he wouldn't have just swept it under the bus, that I can safely say!

He didn't even like Led Zeppelin according to his buddies, so I don't see how Elvis would have liked people shouting, swearing, glorifing violence and dissing the female species!?!

Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:49 pm

Good Time Charlie wrote:What an absurd topic.

+1

Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:54 pm

intheghetto wrote:
Joe Car wrote:...but as a fan of a man who gave every genre a music a chance...

It's well known that Elvis did not like most [if not all] of the psychedelic music that was made during the 60s. Apparently he was no fan of the Rolling Stones either.

Without arguing for or against rap music as a genre, I totally disagree that there is 'no doubt' that Elvis would have been a fan of rap. We'll never know, but my strong belief is that he would not have liked it, especially the gangsta rap of the 90s. I think he was more interested in melody than rhyme. I also think being the student of sacred music as he was, he would've been put off by the inherently aggressive nature of rap, but as I continue to write this comment it's occurring to me me that this topic is just an absurd observation. Elvis a fan of Tupac? Biggie? Eminem? I don't think so. To paraphrase a line from that classic SNL skit with Joe Piscopo as Sinatra; Elvis "would've found chunks of guys like that in his stool".

'No doubt' that Elvis would've liked rap?! I think you need to listen a little more closely to his music before you come up with such far fetched theories. Just because his work covered several forms of music doesn't mean he liked all forms of music. What's the next theory? That Elvis probably liked Iggy & the Stooges?

What or who is 'Biggie'??? :smt003

Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:56 pm

Good Time Charlie wrote:I knew this topic would soon turn into a farce with some of the most absurd statements ever made about Elvis.

..................followed by someone being accused of racism just cos they don't like (c)rap, Emineminem etc. :roll:
Last edited by TONY. on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:05 pm

Good Time Charlie wrote:I knew this topic would soon turn into a farce with some of the most absurd statements ever made about Elvis.

My intentions were and are always good when I start a thread.

Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:12 pm

Joe Car wrote:

Seeing as how (c)rap isn't even technically music, you may as well have started a discussion on wether Elvis would have liked Motorhead, Iron Maiden, Manic Street Preachers, Justin Belber etc, etc............................ :roll:

Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:04 pm

thank God Elvis is dead he doesn't have to listen to rap music

Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:37 pm

pauls35 wrote:thank God Elvis is dead he doesn't have to listen to rap music

Neither do we. I have never heard one of these 'songs' all the way thru. It's easy to avoid if you don't have any 12 or 13 year olds in your house or don't watch those stations that play it all day or listen to a civilised music radio station.

Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:51 pm

TONY. wrote:

Neither do we. I have never heard one of these 'songs' all the way thru. It's easy to avoid if you don't have any 12 or 13 year olds in your house or don't watch those stations that play it all day or listen to a civilised music radio station.

I'm more than partial to rap, so don't count me with regards to the above -- but here's Professor Green's title track from his new album, At Your Inconvenience. My favourite new artist of the past few years, and a lyrical wizard . . .

Enjoy.

phpBB [video]

Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:23 pm

Well, if Elvis had started performing rap, I cannot see me liking it anymore than I do now (which is zero on a scale of 1 to 10), and it probably would have turned me off from being an Elvis fan.

We have Canadian RAP music up here -- which I more commonly refer to as CRAP.

Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:10 pm

TONY. wrote:... I don't see how Elvis would have liked people shouting, swearing, glorifing violence and dissing the female species!?!

I was wondering when our resident "rap expert" was going to make an appearance.

What a wonderful, generous sentiment.

Me? I'd rather Elvis be alive and well in 2011, and proving that his democratic vision of popular music and black culture would not have dimmed as he got older.

Christopher Brown wrote:Well, if Elvis had started performing rap, I cannot see me liking it anymore than I do now (which is zero on a scale of 1 to 10), and it probably would have turned me off from being an Elvis fan.

We have Canadian RAP music up here -- which I more commonly refer to as CRAP.

Thank you for sharing your "insight."

Joe Car wrote:My intentions were and are always good when I start a thread.

You did receive several intelligent and earnest replies on this topic, like mine! Ignore the rest.

Nothing exposes the ever-increasing generation gap -- and narrow-mindedness -- of the Elvis Presley fan base more than when hip-hop is introduced as a topic of discussion on this forum.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:36 am

intheghetto wrote:...and nothing exposes the pompous holier-than-thou arrogance of those that criticize others for not liking a particular musical genre ...

There is nothing pompous about decrying a person's dislike of a genre, when said person presents their argument from an extremely uninformed and angry point-of-view. It's called disabusing someone of their ignorance. That I did so gently is clearly of no interest to you.

Examples have already been highlighted. I suggest you put away your name-calling and read them with care. Such cliched, vitriolic comments are a mirror image of what was once said about R&B and rock 'n' roll fifty years ago.

Elvis Presley loved R&B and rock 'n' roll, critics be damned.

Food for thought.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:46 am

You've said that before, Doc but there surely are some disconnects with rock and rap and plenty of qualitative differences.

Simply declaring "that's what the kids like" and "they said that about early rock and roll" somehow makes rap off-limits
from criticism doesn't work.

It's not ignorance necessarily. A lot of us have heard and given the time of day to rap / Hip-Hop for 25 years and still find it wanting, and I say
that as an omnivore when it comes to music, even finding brief fun in death metal a co-worker sent me in my younger days, around the same
time I tried out Public Enemey, the Fat Boys, LL Cool J. etc.

I'm open-minded, but don't buy the arguments for it. That's okay: they wouldn't like all the (many) genres of music I like either. But don't tell me it's somehow to
be walled off. So some people don't like it. Good for them. That's their option without being called ignorant.

In my experience around friends and colleagues at college and community radio stations, fellow musicians, you name it,
some of the biggest lunk-heads (read close-minded simpletons ) simply listened to hip-hop while many of us sampled readily
from outside of experience and comfort zone.

Sure, there's been some interesting and even catchy rap but to my mind, it should have
petered out long ago. It's mostly mediocre sh*t. :lol: But that's their choice to hear that. Now to be truly hip and counter-cultural,
they ought to give something like bluegrass a try or obscure popular 78 rpms from the 'teens of the early 20th century. We'll see
how open-minded they are...

Joe Car wrote:

"Joe Car: What Happened? " :smt030 smt199 smt172
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:56 am

I think that by the time that it got to the gangsta, more abusive rap forms, that he would have probably not been a fan, but some of the early rap music was just fun and had a lot of word play and i don't think it is too far fetched that Elvis may have appreciated the spontaneity and fun intent of the music. In reality, he only missed the early forms of hiphop by a very narrow margin of time. Grandmaster flash first record came out in 79 and my mom thought some of the songs were hilarious. So, it is possible that E would have not hated it and might have appreciated it, but as pointed out we will never know.

Personally, with the violent turn of rap/hiphop it has certainly lost its appeal to me.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:03 am

The man who found comfort with covers of Perry Como, Olivia Newton-John and lots of melancholy MOR music would have not enjoyed even the
so-called fun early rap, which I find tolerable and fun in small doses. On a lark, say a one-off hit, he might have found it fun but otherwise not terribly
well-crafted speaking as a guy who made his mark as a true singer in due time. If you're weaned on singing as he was for decades,
it's hard to cross over and appreciate the talking style of rap as even in the same league, flow and poetry aside. I just grew up hearing too many great
singers to ever fully appreciate this talent of rapping, no matter the energy and following it has. That's okay: I embrace saying "no" to some things
and don't feel compelled at 42 to like music that I gave up even trying to relate to 20-plus years ago.

I'd think Elvis would be saddened how far pop music charts (the ones currently eliminating some of his former hits apparently) has fallen.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:09 am

Elvis didn't do the pop charts much justice during his last years either. Some of his own recorded output played a role in the demise of quality music being issued for singles purposes as well.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:26 am

De gustibus non est disputandum...

...but the degeneration of language, manners and morals is obvious. And please don't compare it to the rock'n'roll revolution in the 50's. After all the world is getting worse and worse:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45236688/ns/world_news-world_environment/t/africas-western-black-rhino-declared-extinct/#.TrxcDFazFTp

Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:42 am

And still this topic drags on, may I just remind people who think Elvis would have embraced this new type of music, that we are talking about a man, who like most people, seemed to mellow with his music tastes as he aged. He seemed to revert to more softer and conservative music - almost the kind that he helped destroy himself in the 1950s.

In his final years, Elvis Presley was more inclined to play records by Charles Boyer, Anne Murray and Roger Whittaker than even mainstream Pop and Rock records. He apparently didn't even seem interested in acts like Bruce Springsteen and Elton John, great, contemporary artists who's music had a lot more connections to the kind Elvis loved (or at least once loved) and who's music had directly been influenced by Elvis himself. So to think that Elvis would've somehow been digging Grandmaster Flash and co. just seems completely ludicrous to this fan.

Forget all the squabbling about whether you like rap or not - the simple matter is Elvis would not have been listening to this music and so this topic is redundant.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:45 am

Amen. A good moderator would yank it. Sorry, Joe!

This isn't one of your biggest hits! :lol: ::rocks