Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: What now my love?

Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:07 pm

greystoke wrote:I very much like Elvis's version of What Now, My Love? from Aloha. It's certainly dramatic, and we know Elvis had a penchant for such -- yet, this is also a quite intense performance, with the percussion pounding like a heavy hearbeat and Elvis so very careful with every line, building to a pot-boiler of a crescendo that scores big time. Compare this approach to Elvis's home demos of the song from 1966 to appreciate how he could vary, quite greatly, his interpretation of a song.

Still, this is a song for which varied interpretations aren't uncommon -- Shirley Bassey's marvellous recording had all the drama afforded by Elvis, whilst Frank Sinatra's fine recording was more gallant, until a dynamic final chorus that was often sensational when he sang this song in concert. Which makes one wonder what Elvis may have afforded this song in the studio, although I suspect a recording pre-1970 would have been not too dissimilar to that of the home recordings.

Good post.

Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:33 pm

ECC83 wrote:Yes, I have Aloha as well as most of the other mainstream releases. But I have not watched all of them in their entirety. I just don't watch music dvd's that way. I watch parts of them over time. That's just how I do things, and I find it easier to absorb material and enjoy things over time, rather than watch and listen to everything in a weekend.

"Aloha From Hawaii" is about 1 hour in length.

You can't devote an hour out of a weekend to watch this legendary performance from start to finish?

Mind-boggling. Or ... you don't really own any DVDs.

Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:46 pm

Julian Grant wrote:Aloha is a boring show and although people say that everything went down hill after this 'special' the truth is, by January 1973 Elvis was already at the point of no return.

He tries his best, it's dramatic for sure (especially the ending) He's concentrating on his vocal delivery, (no doubt aware a live ablum is being recorded) throughout the song, it's always been good in my eyes but only because of the ending, It's actually a pretty weak song all in.

'Boring' is not a word I'd use. Aloha isn't great but it's VERY entertaining. I'd say that Elvis was nervous etc. He knew that the Memphis '74 show was being recorded also, but on that he is spectacular, sings well and puts on a GREAT show.

Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:22 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ECC83 wrote:Yes, I have Aloha as well as most of the other mainstream releases. But I have not watched all of them in their entirety. I just don't watch music dvd's that way. I watch parts of them over time. That's just how I do things, and I find it easier to absorb material and enjoy things over time, rather than watch and listen to everything in a weekend.

You can't devote an hour out of a weekend to watch this legendary performance from start to finish?

It's not an issue of can or can't, it's an issue of will; I won't do it, because that's just the way I do things. The only Elvis DVD I watched from start to finish was this:

Yes, I don't really own any of them, because clearly I have a lot to gain by lying to people here that I have very rare Elvis DVDs not privy to anyone else in the world :roll:

Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:24 pm

TONY. wrote:
Julian Grant wrote:Aloha is a boring show and although people say that everything went down hill after this 'special' the truth is, by January 1973 Elvis was already at the point of no return.

He tries his best, it's dramatic for sure (especially the ending) He's concentrating on his vocal delivery, (no doubt aware a live ablum is being recorded) throughout the song, it's always been good in my eyes but only because of the ending, It's actually a pretty weak song all in.

'Boring' is not a word I'd use. Aloha isn't great but it's VERY entertaining. I'd say that Elvis was nervous etc. He knew that the Memphis '74 show was being recorded also, but on that he is spectacular, sings well and puts on a GREAT show.

Some of the songs I noticed were generally better done in the rehearsal version than the live version. I personally liked Can't Help Falling In Love better in the rehearshals, especially the way he belts out the ending.

Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:47 pm

rjm wrote:Maybe he's very young or something. Let's not scare people off.

Aw I'm only goofing with him, no offense intended.

As for the song, it sure is an alarming vocal highlight of Aloha and the rehearsal. In fact, the rehearsal is s stronger performance for me.

There are some terrific versions from 1972 also of a song which is great to sing - in particular, that there closing verse which leaps up an entire octave to great effect!

Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:52 pm

'Boring' is not a word I'd use. Aloha isn't great but it's VERY entertaining. I'd say that Elvis was nervous etc. He knew that the Memphis '74 show was being recorded also, but on that he is spectacular, sings well and puts on a GREAT show.[/quote]

I suppose the difference was he knew he wasn't been 'watched' by cameras in 74

Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:55 pm

ECC83 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

It's not an issue of can or can't, it's an issue of will; I won't do it, because that's just the way I do things.

I wouldn't brag about this quality, if I were you.

Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:52 pm

Julian Grant wrote:Aloha is a boring show.

If I ever get that way, I hope someone smashes my skull with a Louisville Slugger.

I love the song, especially the Aloha version.

Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:00 am

Doc is just testing the thickness of your hide. Don't sweat it. He's really a Teddy Bear.

Now. If you don't have the Deluxe 68 Comeback DVDs, FORGET ABOUT ALOHA! For now.

Get that DVD set NOW! Order it immediately. And get ready for Blast Off!

rjm

P.S. Also get the audio box and Let Yourself Go. The latter is an FTD.

Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:46 am

It'll take him 10 years to get through the Deluxe version of The Comeback. You have a strange way of enjoying Elvis, young man.

Elvis' Memphis concert is not a better show than either Aloha show, IMO.

Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:38 pm

After everyone has stopped picking holes in someone because of the fact he has not heard a particular Elvis song before...back to topic.

Elvis's performance of the song is one of the very few highlights of Aloha, a show in which Elvis generally seems to be going through the motions despite the glitz and glamour of the event. Overall, Elvis seems half-hearted and not in particularly good voice, with an odd nasal quality to it.

Despite this, he appears to invest more energy in What Now My Love, a song I knew in the wonderful Shirley Bassey version as a kid before I knew Elvis's. Elvis models his version on that one - or at least on the Judy Garland version which in itself is modelled on Bassey's. Bassey;s version, interestingly has a kind of It's Easy For You effect, with her vocals seemingly in another room at the beginning, only for her to become louder and closer as the song progresses. A great piece of engineering as well as a great arrangement (by Nelson Riddle, if I'm not mistaken).

I think it is sad Elvis never did this song in the studio - it was clearly the type of song he was aiming to sing in May 1971 when he tackled Padre and Love Me Love The Life, failing miserably on both (although the alternate takes are a little better). But this is certainly better material than both of those efforts, and a studio performance in 1970, 71 or 72 could well have resulted in a much-loved recording of high quality. Despite this, no-one could deny that Elvis sings the song in Aloha with passion (one of the few songs he DOES sing with passion in Aloha), he gives the song his all, and the ending is simply stunning. I just feel it lacks some of the subtleties it may have been afforded in a studio setting.

Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:28 pm

poormadpeter wrote:After everyone has stopped picking holes in someone because of the fact he has not heard a particular Elvis song before...back to topic.

Elvis's performance of the song is one of the very few highlights of Aloha, a show in which Elvis generally seems to be going through the motions despite the glitz and glamour of the event. Overall, Elvis seems half-hearted and not in particularly good voice, with an odd nasal quality to it.

Despite this, he appears to invest more energy in What Now My Love, a song I knew in the wonderful Shirley Bassey version as a kid before I knew Elvis's. Elvis models his version on that one - or at least on the Judy Garland version which in itself is modelled on Bassey's. Bassey;s version, interestingly has a kind of It's Easy For You effect, with her vocals seemingly in another room at the beginning, only for her to become louder and closer as the song progresses. A great piece of engineering as well as a great arrangement (by Nelson Riddle, if I'm not mistaken).

I think it is sad Elvis never did this song in the studio - it was clearly the type of song he was aiming to sing in May 1971 when he tackled Padre and Love Me Love The Life, failing miserably on both (although the alternate takes are a little better). But this is certainly better material than both of those efforts, and a studio performance in 1970, 71 or 72 could well have resulted in a much-loved recording of high quality. Despite this, no-one could deny that Elvis sings the song in Aloha with passion (one of the few songs he DOES sing with passion in Aloha), he gives the song his all, and the ending is simply stunning. I just feel it lacks some of the subtleties it may have been afforded in a studio setting.

I agree almost 100 percent with your comments. Moreover, I find that the song, when originally seen and heard, sounded a bit strange to me, not just the choice of song, but how the intro was played (I'd heard much more forceful piano playing, at the start of the song, in a few of the other versions), as was the way Elvis takes us, the viewer and listener through the various steps, He seems to be a bit desinterested, in the first verse. However, the unvarnished truth is that the song, when heard in its entirity, is one of the few on Aloha that truly stands the test of time when heard forty years later, both vocally and sound wise. According to a few connaisseurs, it is also the only song in the Presley repertoire where he reached a full three octaves vocal, at both the rehearsal and at the actual broadcast. Had I been able to choose a particular performance out of the two, for inclusion in a show capturing the best of songs sang those two nights, I'd choose the rehearsal, as his mannerisms, the way he reaches back for strenght with a forceful wave of his right arm, towards the end of the third verse show us a Presley who, as a certain Rollingstone reviewer once alluded to, is even more determined to please himself by pleasing the audience first, than the other way around.

Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:52 am

I wonder if there is an alternate title called "WHAT !!!! ... Now my love" :smt005

Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:05 pm

Age has nothing to do with it. When I was 17 I wanted everything I could get my hands on. Lost Performances was out back then on vhs and I watched it over and over. If you're an Elvis fan how can you just watch a few minutes at a time. Anyway each to their own.
On topic, Elvis performs What Now My Love from both shows brilliantly.

Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:12 pm

I wonder if he's gotten to I'll Remember You yet.

Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:56 pm

nod3million wrote:If you're an Elvis fan how can you just watch a few minutes at a time?

That's just the way he does things.

Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:42 pm

ECC83 wrote:What do you guys think of this song? I never heard it before, but I was just listening to it from the Aloha rehearsal concert, the ending was brilliant, of course I always knew the strength and resonance that Elvis had in his voice, but once he got going...it just soared.

phpBB [video]

If you like the song you should try out the harmony home recordings from 1966 (as on "The Home Recordings" and the FTD "In A Private Moment") . Very different stuff from the 1970s concert performance and arguably even more poignant.
As for the concert performance don't miss the ones from 1972, who are generally better sung than Aloha.

Re: What now my love? 1966 version

Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:19 am

Does anyone know who was harmonizing with Elvis on this version?
Thank you,

Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:33 am

I like the version from december 1976.
phpBB [video]

Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:41 am

ECC83 wrote:
Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:You've had Aloha all this time and only watched a song at a time over two years and just reached What Now My Love from the rehearsal show? :shock:

How are you getting on with the 68 Comeback? When you've finished with Trouble/Guitar Man, Elvis wears leather! He looks and sounds great! Let us know when you get there :smt002

I've actually seen the '68 Comeback in its entirety, that is the normal version, not the "Deluxe Edition", I don't have that yet.

Yes, I've had Aloha for a while, I haven't watched all the songs. I don't go through them one by one. I'll just pick a random song, but most of the time I just go over the ones I know. I finish all the tracks, eventually :lol:

You lose the pacing and build up of an Elvis show live, by skipping around.

Just spend 75 minutes and watch this live concert from beginning to end.

You will be glad you did.

You can always go back and study various performances that stand out to you at a later time.

Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:15 am

The Aloha versions are not bad at all. But, my rediscovery of this song done by Elvis comes from the FTD, 3000 SOUTH PARADISE ROAD. That one really shines imo!