Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

What now my love?

Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:24 pm

What do you guys think of this song? I never heard it before, but I was just listening to it from the Aloha rehearsal concert, the ending was brilliant, of course I always knew the strength and resonance that Elvis had in his voice, but once he got going...it just soared.

phpBB [video]

Re: What now my love?

Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:03 pm

You've been a member here for almost two years, and must therefore have been an Elvis fan for longer than that.

How on earth have you never seen/heard Aloha From Hawaii before?

Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:07 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:You've been a member here for almost two years, and must therefore have been an Elvis fan for longer than that.

Yes that is very odd :roll:

Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:08 pm

Do you know "Hound dog"?!

Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:09 pm

TONY. wrote:Do you know "Hound dog"?!

Well he does now. The Alternate Aloha version at least...

Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:15 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:
TONY. wrote:Do you know "Hound dog"?!

Well he does now. The Alternate Aloha version at least...

:idea: If he ever gets to watch the 68 Special he can hear Heartbreak Hotel and All Shook up !!

Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:25 pm

ECC83 wrote:What do you guys think of this song? I never heard it before, but I was just listening to it from the Aloha rehearsal concert, the ending was brilliant, of course I always knew the strength and resonance that Elvis had in his voice, but once he got going...it just soared.

phpBB [video]

He does a very good job on that

Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:39 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:You've been a member here for almost two years, and must therefore have been an Elvis fan for longer than that.

Never for a second did I think of your conclusion by reading that initial post.
I read it as someone who'd noticed a detail he hadn't noticed before during the ending of a certain song while listening to Aloha.
Of course, I might be wrong.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:46 pm

What is "Aloha from Hawaii" please??!!!! :smt003 :smt003

Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:59 pm

TONY. wrote:What is "Aloha from Hawaii" please??!!!! :smt003 :smt003

It is a1961 musical film set in the state of Hawaii and starring Elvis Presley. :smt017

Hope this helps.
Last edited by promiseland on Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:59 pm

Yes, as I thought as much. Obviously people haven't really paid attention the last time a thread like this came up with the issue of "Love Me".

Yes, I have Aloha as well as most of the other mainstream releases. But I have not watched all of them in their entirety. I just don't watch music dvd's that way. I watch parts of them over time. That's just how I do things, and I find it easier to absorb material and enjoy things over time, rather than watch and listen to everything in a weekend.

So stop asking the same stupid questions you muppets.

Furthermore, me being a member here for 2 years automatically implies that I must know every song? Failed logic.

Instead of trying to crack jokes about me not knowing the song (which I don't really care about), perhaps a discussion suited to people's likes or dislikes of the song would be of a far greater merit. Some people can seem to grasp that simple concept here, and some obviously can't.
Last edited by ECC83 on Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:00 pm

Can you show me where in my post I said that specifically??

Oh, I didn't.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:04 pm

ECC83 wrote:Yes, as I thought as much. Obviously people haven't really paid attention the last time a thread like this came up with the issue of "Love Me".

Yes, I have Aloha as well as most of the other mainstream releases. But I have not watched all of them in their entirety. I just don't watch music dvd's that way. I watch parts of them over time. That's just how I do things, and I find it easier to absorb material and enjoy things over time, rather than watch and listen to everything in a weekend.

Furthermore, me being a member here for 2 years automatically implies that I must know every song? Failed logic.

Instead of trying to crack jokes about me not knowing the song (which I don't really care about), perhaps a discussion suited to people's likes or dislikes of the song would be of a far greater merit. Some people can seem to grasp that simple concept here, and some obviously can't.

At least you won't be asking for "Elvis In Concert" to be released anytime soon :smt023

Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:05 pm

promiseland wrote:
ECC83 wrote:Yes, as I thought as much. Obviously people haven't really paid attention the last time a thread like this came up with the issue of "Love Me".

At least you won't be asking for "Elvis In Concert" to be released anytime soon :smt023

I still have plenty of other material to go through. :lol:

Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:15 pm

ECC83 wrote:What do you guys think of this song? I never heard it before, but I was just listening to it from the Aloha rehearsal concert, the ending was brilliant, of course I always knew the strength and resonance that Elvis had in his voice, but once he got going...it just soared.

phpBB [video]

You said you had never heard this song before, which indicates you bought a dvd you have never watched and don't have any of the 40 or so CD's that include this song. So you must have a small collection, therefore it shouldn't take you much time to see / hear everything you have??

Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:03 pm

You've had Aloha all this time and only watched a song at a time over two years and just reached What Now My Love from the rehearsal show? :shock:

How are you getting on with the 68 Comeback? When you've finished with Trouble/Guitar Man, Elvis wears leather! He looks and sounds great! Let us know when you get there :smt002

Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:39 pm

I very much like Elvis's version of What Now, My Love? from Aloha. It's certainly dramatic, and we know Elvis had a penchant for such -- yet, this is also a quite intense performance, with the percussion pounding like a heavy hearbeat and Elvis so very careful with every line, building to a pot-boiler of a crescendo that scores big time. Compare this approach to Elvis's home demos of the song from 1966 to appreciate how he could vary, quite greatly, his interpretation of a song.

Still, this is a song for which varied interpretations aren't uncommon -- Shirley Bassey's marvellous recording had all the drama afforded by Elvis, whilst Frank Sinatra's fine recording was more gallant, until a dynamic final chorus that was often sensational when he sang this song in concert. Which makes one wonder what Elvis may have afforded this song in the studio, although I suspect a recording pre-1970 would have been not too dissimilar to that of the home recordings.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:00 pm

Brilliant song, always gives me a 'spooky' feeling when (in the main concert, 14th), he sings.....'no-one would care if I should live or die'..........it's the expression on his face..........makes the hairs on my arms stand up......

Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:34 pm

Love the song and that ending...just pips the main show performance for me. :D

Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:06 pm

Maybe he's very young or something. Let's not scare people off.

I have never really liked Aloha per se {and I saw the original airing while in Jr. High}, but this track is a real standout. He captures his real self from under the weight of all those rhinestones and you can see him despite all the flashing lights.

I had just become a fan, but the first album I bought was the 68 TV Special. I just loved the cover. And whoa! So I started at the top and so maybe it wasn't fair to him. I didn't even much like the fifties stuff then. But the reprocessed stereo was unlistenable. Still nothing really could stand up to the 68 Special to a new fan.

rjm
P.S. On further reflection, I might not have yet bought the First Album but I DO recall watching the Aloha show. I was at my uncle's house. We flew up from Atlanta cause he died suddenly at age fifty.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:20 pm

Oh God. Y'all are pickin on a kid! He was just 23 when he joined last year!

Welcome to the Elvis world, son!

rjm
P.S. The profile asks your birthdate so he is 23 still.
Last edited by rjm on Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:21 pm

Aloha is a boring show and although people say that everything went down hill after this 'special' the truth is, by January 1973 Elvis was already at the point of no return.

He tries his best, it's dramatic for sure (especially the ending) He's concentrating on his vocal delivery, (no doubt aware a live ablum is being recorded) throughout the song, it's always been good in my eyes but only because of the ending, It's actually a pretty weak song all in.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:22 pm

It is very evident that Elvis tired of this song very quickly.

Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:34 am

ECC83 my apologies to you if you were mistaken by any of my posts.
it was only in fun! If you decide to only listen to one song a year, thats your buisness! But the main thing is you are a Elvis fan and thats all that counts.
Don't let anyone get to you here because I'm sure you are very welcomed at FECC! :smt023

Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:06 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:You've had Aloha all this time and only watched a song at a time over two years and just reached What Now My Love from the rehearsal show? :shock:

How are you getting on with the 68 Comeback? When you've finished with Trouble/Guitar Man, Elvis wears leather! He looks and sounds great! Let us know when you get there :smt002

I've actually seen the '68 Comeback in its entirety, that is the normal version, not the "Deluxe Edition", I don't have that yet.

Yes, I've had Aloha for a while, I haven't watched all the songs. I don't go through them one by one. I'll just pick a random song, but most of the time I just go over the ones I know. I finish all the tracks, eventually :lol: