Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Is this song about Elvis?

Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:51 am

Back in the early 1983 when I visited Graceland, my family and I also stopped by numerous tourist traps in the south, which all invariably had Elvis paraphernalia. Amongst all that junk was a bumper sticker that quoted the line in question, with the implication that it was referring to Elvis.

I don't think it has anything to do with Elvis, but that people think that it is what the song is implying says a lot about how Elvis was/is in our public consciousness. No surprise there, I suppose, but I think people have forgotten the ubiquity of Elvis in American culture at one time. The oft-quoted "We'll never agree on anything like we agreed on Elvis" was a keen observation by Mr. Bangs.

Re: Is this song about Elvis?

Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:21 pm

MarkyMark77 wrote:Back in the early 1983 when I visited Graceland, my family and I also stopped by numerous tourist traps in the south, which all invariably had Elvis paraphernalia. Amongst all that junk was a bumper sticker that quoted the line in question, with the implication that it was referring to Elvis.

Taken out of context, the quote can easily be used as a reference to Elvis.