Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

hayride soundcheck dec 15,1956

Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:23 am

i saw this on a site that talks about sessions etc.
according to it it does cause of this info.
has anybody heard it?if it exists why hasnt it been released?
December 15 1956 (Saturday)

'Sound Check Rehearsal before Show'
Hirsch Youth Center, Louisiana Fairgrounds, Shreveport, LA
Heartbreak Hotel 2:12 Unreleased
How's The World Treating You (Spoken Bridge) 3:34 Unreleased
Don't Be Cruel 2:01 Unreleased
Paralyzed 2:56 Unreleased
Love Me Tender 1:48 Unreleased
Too Much 0:48 Unreleased
One Sided Love Affair 2:46 Unreleased
Too Much 2:57 Unreleased
Love Me 2:36 Unreleased
Too Much 1:48 Unreleased
Long Tall Sally 1:28 Unreleased
Hound Dog 1:45 Unreleased

Re: hayride soundcheck dec 15,1956

Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:28 am

ritchie valens wrote:i saw this on a site that talks about sessions etc.
according to it it does cause of this info.
has anybody heard it?if it exists why hasnt it been released?
December 15 1956 (Saturday)

'Sound Check Rehearsal before Show'
Hirsch Youth Center, Louisiana Fairgrounds, Shreveport, LA
Heartbreak Hotel 2:12 Unreleased
How's The World Treating You (Spoken Bridge) 3:34 Unreleased
Don't Be Cruel 2:01 Unreleased
Paralyzed 2:56 Unreleased
Love Me Tender 1:48 Unreleased
Too Much 0:48 Unreleased
One Sided Love Affair 2:46 Unreleased
Too Much 2:57 Unreleased
Love Me 2:36 Unreleased
Too Much 1:48 Unreleased
Long Tall Sally 1:28 Unreleased
Hound Dog 1:45 Unreleased

Thanks for sharing!

This information has been around for a long while, much longer than that recent site entry.

Three guesses as to why this tape remains "Unreleased."

Maybe some day, true fans will be able to enjoy it.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:44 am

Guess #1 - The tape doesn't exist.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:00 am

#2 - Song publishing company wants too much.

#3 - Tape "fell" into private hands and fthey want too much.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:45 pm

somebody has heard it look at the timings.
it exists according to this guy otherwise no timings would be known.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:26 pm

ritchie valens wrote:somebody has heard it look at the timings.

Sure :mrgreen:

Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:46 pm

ritchie valens wrote:somebody has heard it look at the timings.

Yes, and "according to this guy" so does a summer 1957 performance of "Old Shep" and "I Love You Because."

When researching one must use education and experience to get to the truth.

That said, the information you're so wild about, including the timings, was first posted here on 9-24-2011 by someone else and then apparently copied onto that site.

The FECC topic was since removed because of behavior from the usual suspects. It may still be found with an archive search.

Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:00 pm

Properly translated "the usual suspects" means he is talking about himself as we all know. As for the tape existing, right now, some important collectors say it exists, others say it doesn't. We may never know. Personally, I think we are in store for some awesome stuff in the coming year

Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:10 am

Why would a soundcheck be recorded directly but the actual concert be captured off the radio?

Something fishy in Shreveport

Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:18 am

KiwiAlan wrote:Why would a soundcheck be recorded directly but the actual concert be captured off the radio?

Something fishy in Shreveport

Didn't someone on this forum mention a while back, that the Shreveport '56 gig [featured on YMWTBB] was supposedly an in-line recording ?

Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:45 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:The FECC topic was since removed because of behavior from the usual suspects. It may still be found with an archive search.

You mean you caused a topic to be deleted again? You should know better by now.

Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:52 am

Thank y'all for proving my point yet again.

Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:26 am

Daryl wrote:Guess #1 - The tape doesn't exist.

Ding. Ding. Ding. Ding. Ding.

We have a winner!

Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:50 am

I wonder why there would be a soundcheck when concert sound systems as we know them today weren't in use. Didn't everything used to be done through stage amplifiers? Small equipment at that.
Any photos would confirm this.

And why would they perform an entire performance as a "soundcheck"? Just a song or two would be required I think if it were a stage set up rehearsal. Elvis wasn't one to rehearse too much whether live performance or recording sessions normally. Very few exceptions to this rule.

The lack of sound system at the time in itself tells me this is fantasy.

Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:20 am

Greybeard wrote:I wonder why there would be a soundcheck when concert sound systems as we know them today weren't in use. Didn't everything used to be done through stage amplifiers? Small equipment at that.

And why would they perform an entire performance as a "soundcheck"? Just a song or two would be required I think if it were a stage set up rehearsal. Elvis wasn't one to rehearse too much whether live performance or recording sessions normally. Very few exceptions to this rule.

Some might argue that much of the day was purposefully recorded by engineers at KWKH-AM, "1130 On Your Dial."

The "Louisiana Hayride" was a country music radio and, later on, also a television program. This Saturday evening was going to be a special live radio broadcast in front of 9,000 at the much larger Hirsch Memorial Coliseum, and many more listening throughout the region. They likely knew the type of sheer volume a Presley crowd could deliver, and wanted to be sure they did all they could to present a show everyone could enjoy. It was not just another Saturday night at the Hayride.

The rehearsal listing is not a performance, as noted by work on the spoken bridge to "How's The World Treating You," and the way the tunes are not run down in their usual concert order (for example, "Long Tall Sally" was usually the second song, 1956-57).

And Elvis did rehearse a lot when it meant more to him personally -- note the many rehearsals in 1969 and 1970. The 12-15-1956 show was significant not only because it was a broadcast, or that it was his last gig of the year, or even that it was his farewell to the Hayride, but also because Paramount director and writer Hal Kanter was in attendance, taking notes for Elvis' upcoming Paramount film project, his first as the star. This was a hugely important milestone in the 21 year-old's life, one can easily imagine he wanted the show to be great, start to finish.

Maybe someday will know whether this tape is fact, or fantasy.

Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:15 pm

all great points Doc

Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:19 pm

Its fake

Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:09 pm

all stay away joe always answers its fake. u or noone here knows for sure.
theres all kinds of rare stuff owned by collectors we dont know about.

Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:41 pm

Greybeard wrote:all great points Doc

Thanks. I appreciated your post very much too!

Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:37 pm

The inclusion of "How's The World Treating You" and "One Sided Love Affair" makes me suspicious. Neither were performed on the night and it seems a little like two major rarities were added to the list to make the rumour more appealing.

Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:07 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Greybeard wrote:I wonder why there would be a soundcheck when concert sound systems as we know them today weren't in use. Didn't everything used to be done through stage amplifiers? Small equipment at that.

Some might argue that much of the day was purposefully recorded by engineers at KWKH-AM, "1130 On Your Dial."

The "Louisiana Hayride" was a country music radio and, later on, also a television program. This Saturday evening was going to be a special live radio broadcast in front of 9,000 at the much larger Hirsch Memorial Coliseum, and many more listening throughout the region. They likely knew the type of sheer volume a Presley crowd could deliver, and wanted to be sure they did all they could to present a show everyone could enjoy. It was not just another Saturday night at the Hayride.

The rehearsal listing is not a performance, as noted by work on the spoken bridge to "How's The World Treating You," and the way the tunes are not run down in their usual concert order (for example, "Long Tall Sally" was usually the second song, 1956-57).

And Elvis did rehearse a lot when it meant more to him personally -- note the many rehearsals in 1969 and 1970. The 12-15-1956 show was significant not only because it was a broadcast, or that it was his last gig of the year, or even that it was his farewell to the Hayride, but also because Paramount director and writer Hal Kanter was in attendance, taking notes for Elvis' upcoming Paramount film project, his first as the star. This was a hugely important milestone in the 21 year-old's life, one can easily imagine he wanted the show to be great, start to finish.

Maybe someday will know whether this tape is fact, or fantasy.

I also agree with the doc..all are very good points.

Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:19 am

TJ wrote:The inclusion of "How's The World Treating You" and "One Sided Love Affair" makes me suspicious. Neither were performed on the night and it seems a little like two major rarities were added to the list to make the rumour more appealing.

Elvis himself said "One-Sided Love Affair" was his favourite track from his first LP, and "How's the World Treating You" was a lovely country ballad from his latest LP at the time, so I don't think it is strange that he would've thought about including these in his set-list. We also know from rehearsals from the later stages in his career, that Elvis would often rehearase many songs but ultimately decide against including them in his live set lists.

Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:55 pm

Still waiting... :roll:

Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:36 pm

Good Time Charlie wrote:
TJ wrote:The inclusion of "How's The World Treating You" and "One Sided Love Affair" makes me suspicious. Neither were performed on the night and it seems a little like two major rarities were added to the list to make the rumour more appealing.

Elvis himself said "One-Sided Love Affair" was his favourite track from his first LP, and "How's the World Treating You" was a lovely country ballad from his latest LP at the time, so I don't think it is strange that he would've thought about including these in his set-list. We also know from rehearsals from the later stages in his career, that Elvis would often rehearase many songs but ultimately decide against including them in his live set lists.

Elvis probably rehearsed many songs through his life that were not meant to be performed in concert. Just to warm up or for fun.

For example, in "Alla En El Rancho Grande" we can clearly hear Elvis and the band just having fun.

Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:27 pm

Would be nice if it were true..... doubt it is though I've never heard of this but what do i know just a fan. I watched a soundcheck one time from a country artist they went through their whole show. Anyway I think if this really existed Sony would snatch it up unless its in private hands and the person has the hoarder mentality........ I think the collectors who hoard the stuff need to get off their high horse and share with the world. I know I would.