What's the story with Phyllis McGuire and Elvis?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: FECC-Moderator, Moderator5, Moderator3, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Joe Car
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

What's the story with Phyllis McGuire and Elvis?

Post by Joe Car »

What kind of a relationship did they have?

rjm
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Re: What's the story with Phyllis McGuire and Elvis?

Post by rjm »

Definitely tempestuous. He alluded to a big fight in the sixties speaking on stage in, I think, 74.
Now, I read, in an encyclopedia, that the fight was on a public street in Vegas. Don't know.

She was also involved with very high profile people. Giancana, I think. There was a film.

All I know.

rjm

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64

EPA4368
Registered for: 11 years 1 month

Post by EPA4368 »

rjm wrote:Definitely tempestuous. He alluded to a big fight in the sixties speaking on stage in, I think, 74.
Now, I read, in an encyclopedia, that the fight was on a public street in Vegas. Don't know.

She was also involved with very high profile people. Giancana, I think. There was a film.

All I know.

rjm

I think you're right. I found this...

Sam Giancana Phyllis McGuire 1960 Love Story...

Sam Giancana, Chicago mob boss, was untouchable until 1960, when he met Phyllis McGuire, lead singer of the popular McGuire Sisters. Deftly eluding the Justice Department, the F.B.I. and rival mobsters, the murderous gangster was helpless in the hands of the wholesome, "virginal" singer he first saw in Las Vegas.

Phyllis McGuire was not a gold digger when she met Sam Giancana. Phyllis was hot, had hit recordings topping the charts and making long money in personal appearances around the world.

But Phyllis was in love.

All those in the know say it was Phyllis who could not help herself. She knew better than to fall for a lousy guy like Sam. She didn’t need anything from him. Sam was not even a handsome man, so why then? Well, they say “love is blind” and it could not be truer than with Phyllis's love for Sam. Power is the ultimate turn on we guess...

http://www.retrokimmer.com/2009/05/sam-giancana-phyllis-mcguire-1960-love.html

“Better a small fish than an empty dish”

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Joe Car wrote:What kind of a relationship did they have?
Elvis had no fear of gangster-types, especially when it came to women.
In '64 we all went to Vegas for a few weeks and stayed at the Sahara. One night, we went to the Desert Inn to see the McGuire Sisters. And from a distance, Phyllis McGuire looked just like Anita Wood. We all saw the resemblance. Elvis said, "Man, she's as pretty as Anita." And he kept saying it throughout the show. So after the show was over, he said, "God, I've got to meet her."

- Marty Lacker, Elvis Aaron Presley: Revelations From The Memphis Mafia (1995)

Phyllis McGuire, circa 1964

Despite their concerns, Elvis spent a good deal of his vacation with Phyllis McGuire, backstage and at her hotel. They did not play cards. At that time she was well-known as the girlfriend of infamous mob boss, Sam Giancana.

This wonderful topic provides insight as to why Elvis still thought of Anita in early 1964:

Anita Wood --> The One Who Got Away !
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61930

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!