Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Superior Outtakes versus Master Studio Recordings

Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:12 am

Ty@TheFilmFrontier wrote:
chevyford wrote:
JimmyCool wrote:
Rockin_John wrote:The take of "Green Green Grass Of Home" on "Great Country Songs" is waaaaay better than the master.
The spoken part with the sigh just gives the song so much more feeling!

It sends chills down my spine... very emotional, I like it too.

Makes one wonder why Elvis didn't choose it as the master! :?

I like this alternate a lot, too, for the same reason mentioned. However, I wonder if it only stands out so much to us because it is different from the master that we have heard for so long? In other words, if we had always heard it this way, would it be as powerful?

I think so! It's another fine example of Elvis doing spine-tingling narration during a song (with Mama Liked The Roses, Only The Strong Survive, I'm Yours, Are You Lonesome Tonight, and That's When Your Heartaches Begin as a few examples).

Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:42 am

chevyford wrote:
JimmyCool wrote:
Rockin_John wrote:The take of "Green Green Grass Of Home" on "Great Country Songs" is waaaaay better than the master.

I like this alternate a lot, too, for the same reason mentioned. However, I wonder if it only stands out so much to us because it is different from the master that we have heard for so long? In other words, if we had always heard it this way, would it be as powerful?

Guess what, I heard the alternate take for years before I picked up the Today album - and i was dissapointed when I heard the version on there... so I can honestly say that for me, this is not the case. :D

Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:39 pm

A few that spring to mind .......

Elvis Presley Sings The Great British Songbook
It's Easy For You (take 1)

Essential Elvis, Vol. 4
I've Lost You (alternate take 6)
Just Pretend (alternate take 2)
Whole Lot-Ta Shakin' Goin' On (undubbed master)

G.I. Blues (collector's edition)
Frankfort Special (fast version - take 2)

Blue Hawaii (remastered + bonus songs)
Can't Help Falling In Love (movie version)

::rocks

Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:52 pm

It Feels So Right [take 3]

Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:12 pm

I agree with You'll Never Walk Alone (Take 2).
It's incredible - I rank it as one of his finest recordings ever.

Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:11 am

Great replies everybody! :)

Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:25 pm

I would also add "Suppose" (Demo #2).

Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:36 pm

chevyford wrote:
JimmyCool wrote:

I think the vocal on this alternate is perhaps a little bit too forced when it comes to emotion, just a little OTT - and the sigh contributes to that. The vocal on the master is more assured, and the vibrato isn't as out of control as on the alternate - although that might be hidden due to the overdubs.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:44 am

Three come to mind:

She Thinks I Still Care - 70s box version
Miracle of the Rosary - Platinum
Wearin' That Loved On Look - The Memphis Record (though maybe this doesn't count, since it's a splice...right?)

Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:00 am

Eggrert wrote:Wearin' That Loved On Look - The Memphis Record (though maybe this doesn't count, since it's a splice...right?)

Always liked that version better, the same goes for "I'm Movin' On" from the same compilation.
Probably because they were the first versions I ever heard. I think Elvis sounds more focused on those inserts, on the original parts he "whines" a little too much for my taste... :wink:

Oh, back to topic:

Jimmy, you mentioned "Suppose" (Demo #2) - is that the version on "A Golden Celebration"? This has always been my favorite performance from that song.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:10 am

poormadpeter wrote:Amazing Grace is a good example of a superior version. I would also suggest the version of And I Love You So from Platinum.

It's interesting to note that since the release of FTD's He Touched Me we learn that Amazing Grace (take 2) as appeared on 1995's 70 Masters set is in fact another Dennis Ferrante fudge job where some elements have been mixed out, including a vocal ad-lib from Elvis on the intro, and the backing vocals all but eliminated for much of the take. The true performance is on the FTD.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:56 am

Matthew wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Amazing Grace is a good example of a superior version. I would also suggest the version of And I Love You So from Platinum.

It's interesting to note that since the release of FTD's He Touched Me we learn that Amazing Grace (take 2) as appeared on 1995's 70 Masters set is in fact another Dennis Ferrante fudge job where some elements have been mixed out, including a vocal ad-lib from Elvis on the intro, and the backing vocals all but eliminated for much of the take. The true performance is on the FTD.

I haven't bought the He Touched Me FTD, just not got around to it yet. Is the fudge job better than the actual performance though?!

Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:15 am

poormadpeter wrote:I haven't bought the He Touched Me FTD, just not got around to it yet. Is the fudge job better than the actual performance though?!

Depends. As an 'alternate take' the performance mix is better. As an 'alternative version' the Ferrante mix has more contrast, since the backing voices have been removed so much.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:16 am

The 70's box version of "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" remix. Beautiful! Also "It's Easy For You" FTD outtake that btw also was a favorite of the composer.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:29 am

The 70s Box is worth holding onto for some of those remixes. Also, for those who didn't get the Complete Masters or the Frankin Mint set, for the price of the Elvis Country Legacy Edition one can pick up the re-issue of the 70s Box - which contains all the Elvis Country tracks without the I Was Born About 10,000 Years Ago interludes.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:47 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:Jimmy, you mentioned "Suppose" (Demo #2) - is that the version on "A Golden Celebration"? This has always been my favorite performance from that song.

That's exactly the version I was referring to, buddy, and a favorite of mine too.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:13 pm

Have to say that the earlier alternate "fudge" on "Amazing Grace" is more striking. Better "produced." Another one that was "fudged" was "I Shall Be Releaed," tho there was no regular album release. Still, there is the stark "fudge" and the busy-sounding "real" version, heard in context. The context is interesting; in his frustration, he had briefly did bits of one or another hymn. So, it was a hymn to him. Still, the "produced" version is preferable.

Is it "right"? Well, that's hard to answer. Glad to know the whole context, but it's music, and it was a decision. Glad to have the versions I like best.

rjm

Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:57 pm

Jonathan Blake wrote:I agree with You'll Never Walk Alone (Take 2).
It's incredible - I rank it as one of his finest recordings ever.

i think take 1 is also good that version runs for more then 5 minutes

Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:58 pm

JimmyCool wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:Jimmy, you mentioned "Suppose" (Demo #2) - is that the version on "A Golden Celebration"? This has always been my favorite performance from that song.

That's exactly the version I was referring to, buddy, and a favorite of mine too.

wasnt that the homerecording at graceland?

Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:03 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
JimmyCool wrote:

wasnt that the homerecording at graceland?

Well, I still can't believe it's a home recording. It sounds so "perfect", compared to the version on "The Home Recordings". I still want to believe the Demo #2 version had been cut in a professional recording studio.

Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:08 pm

I'm a little surprised some have included "I Beg Of You" on their list. The master is one of Elvis' greatest recorded performances. In my opinion.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:09 pm

Shake rattle and Roll on the "I beg of You" collection has so many good versions (eventually they spliced a couple takes) that it`s just a matter of taste. I find the more entertaining listen is the songs where El doesn`t know the songs too well at the beginning and after a few takes he is just killing it...

Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:58 pm

Ty@TheFilmFrontier wrote:I remember hearing the overdubbed version of this on the radio in the mid-1980s. I've never run across it since, though.

A little late, but there ya go, taken from the new Blu-Ray release:

I NEED SOMEBODY TO LEAN ON (Movie version)

Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:20 am

Take 1 of Pieces Of My Life
Always On My Mind from This Is Elvis
Love song of the year Take 1

Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:34 am

rocknroll wrote:I'm a little surprised some have included "I Beg Of You" on their list. The master is one of Elvis' greatest recorded performances. In my opinion.

I agree. And a song that has become underappreciated in recent years . I like the alternate version, but the master is one of Elvis 's great late 1950's rockers. Too bad no alternates survive .