Re: Ali at an Elvis show,1973

Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:07 pm

How apt a clip.

::rocks

phpBB [video]

Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:40 pm

promiseland wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Doesn't calling someone a moron come under the heading of "personal attack?" I thought they were banned?

Not this time poopandpeter.

Correct. It's not a personal attack, as I didn't call anyone a moron.

It is distressing, though, how incredibly ungracious some members of this forum can be. I am a kind person, a generous person, and a fan of Elvis Presley. That's it.

Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:24 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:
phpBB [video]

The world's most legendary professional boxer, and the world's most legendary professional dumbass caught in one shot!
Another knockout-win for Ali.

smt125

Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:21 pm

The next time I see Muhammad, I will ask him,
I have met Muhammad many times because of my involvement in the Boxing scene, so the next time we get a moment, I will.
Eric

Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:31 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
promiseland wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Doesn't calling someone a moron come under the heading of "personal attack?" I thought they were banned?

Not this time poopandpeter.

Correct. It's not a personal attack, as I didn't call anyone a moron.

It is distressing, though, how incredibly ungracious some members of this forum can be. I am a kind person, a generous person, and a fan of Elvis Presley. That's it.
Yeah, sure you are. SOMEONE is in major denial. There is help for you if you ask because you need it!

Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:39 am

Were Elvis' performances in Vegas the only event who denied cameras or any recording devices in Vegas? Just because there is no evidence that Ali attended one of Elvis' concerts, doesn't mean that he didn't. Also, when someone says that they want to attend an event, it doesn't mean that they actually will. So maybe he did or maybe he didn't. You don't always need physical evidence to prove something happened because the people involved know what really happened. Besides, what is the big deal about whether Ali saw Elvis in concert? It's pointless, who cares, unless you have an obsession with the whereabouts of famous people.

Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:19 pm

I don't know if Ali attended an Elvis show or not. I do know a lot of famous people have attended Elvis shows. Some no longer here, and some might wonder why they were famous. Like in the 70's and 80's Gunter Gable Williams was one of the most famous icons for being a Lion-Tamer. I'm not sure in today's pop culture, if a Lion-Tamer would even be considered anybody important - but Williams was the poster child for the Ringling Bros & Barnum, and Bailey circus.

I do know Elvis once introduced Bill Cosby, on that infamous Sept 2, 1974 show and he wasn't even there.

I would like to know if Elvis ever did have any famous sports personalities actually see him in Vegas. I've never heard him introduce any famous sporting people. Unless you count Ed Parker, and honestly - given how big MMA is now - you could.

Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:09 am

elvisalisellers wrote:Image

Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:46 pm

Just watched parts of the 16 hour documentary "Elvis - the definitive collection", and in the chapter "The Las Vegas Years" Ali's business manager, Gene Kilroy, said that Elvis introduced Ali like this: "He's in the audience tonight, we have a fella who says he's the greatest, and he is the greatest - Muhammad Ali - stand up. Ali stood up and said: "Elvis, you're the greatest!" Afterwards they met backstage.

Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:40 pm

Which show..? Date..?

Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:00 pm

He gives no date.

Based on the comments on this thread however my guess would be february 1. dinner too.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:57 pm

egilj wrote:Just watched parts of the 16 hour documentary "Elvis - the definitive collection", and in the chapter "The Las Vegas Years" Ali's business manager, Gene Kilroy, said that Elvis introduced Ali like this: "He's in the audience tonight, we have a fella who says he's the greatest, and he is the greatest - Muhammad Ali - stand up. Ali stood up and said: "Elvis, you're the greatest!" Afterwards they met backstage.

Thanks for that egilj.
As you probably gathered reading this thread, it had already been ascertained to any reasonably balanced person, that Ali did indeed see Elvis perform live at the Las Vegas Hilton, on the evening of February 1, 1973.
Your input is much appreciated though, and that quote you provided is the one I remembered here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64601#p961085.
Much respect to Gene Kilroy, who outside of Howard Bingham [who took the iconic photographs of Elvis and Ali pictured together] remains one of Ali's closest and most loyal friends.

To those who PM'd me regarding this thread, thanks for your kind words. Muhammad Ali and Elvis are 2 of my big passions, so I was only too pleased to help establish the facts, and in the process, clear up the mess left behind by others.

Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:36 am

egilj wrote:Just watched parts of the 16 hour documentary "Elvis - the definitive collection", and in the chapter "The Las Vegas Years" Ali's business manager, Gene Kilroy, said that Elvis introduced Ali like this: "He's in the audience tonight, we have a fella who says he's the greatest, and he is the greatest - Muhammad Ali - stand up. Ali stood up and said: "Elvis, you're the greatest!" Afterwards they met backstage.

That's a nice memory.

But like that quote we saw on page 1 of this topic, from an unsubstantiated review on an Elvis site by someone named "Evan," it is really nothing but heresay.

Common sense come into play yet again: Muhammad Ali is backstage with Elvis, and no one has a camera? Ali is in town for a major heavyweight prize fight, and no one in any media covers his attendance at the Presley show, and "summit meeting" with the King of Rock 'N' Roll afterwards? Hell, even Freddy Cannon got a photo backstage with Elvis in Las Vegas. There are no recordings, no photographs, no news reports, no footage, no nothing to substantiate what Gene Kilroy claims in that unlicensed documentary.

Once again:

Elvis Presley and Muhammad Ali, 1973: Known Facts
- Presley opened at the Hilton in Las Vegas on 1-26-1973 (Fri).
- Lisa Marie turned five on 2-01-1973 (Thu).
- Ali was scheduled to fight British-Australian heavyweight Joe Bugner at the Las Vegas Convention Center on 2-14-1973 (Wed).
- Ali has never stated he saw Elvis in concert.
- There is no known audience tape where Elvis introduces Ali to the crowd.
- Ali worked out on 2-01-1973 and held a press conference afterwards.
- Ali had not one but two sparring bouts scheduled for the next day (2-02-1973).
- We have at least three known photos to underscore that Ali came to see Elvis.

What we have ZERO evidence of is Ali attending a performance.

If there are any more facts to add, please chime in.

Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:03 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:

Thanks for that egilj.
As you probably gathered reading this thread, it had already been ascertained to any reasonably balanced person, that Ali did indeed see Elvis perform live at the Las Vegas Hilton, on the evening of February 1, 1973.
Your input is much appreciated though, and that quote you provided is the one I remembered here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64601#p961085.
Much respect to Gene Kilroy, who outside of Howard Bingham [who took the iconic photographs of Elvis and Ali pictured together] remains one of Ali's closest and most loyal friends.

To those who PM'd me regarding this thread, thanks for your kind words. Muhammad Ali and Elvis are 2 of my big passions, so I was only too pleased to help establish the facts, and in the process, clear up the mess left behind by others.

You're very welcome!

Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:35 am

Much improved resolution of the rare B/W alternate, Elvis - Ali photograph, from February 14, 1973.
(Interestingly the 2 surviving images from this date appear to show Ali with and without a shirt and bow tie)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by elvisalisellers on Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:47 am

I will say that there have to be many more photos from this visit, and it would be a thrill to see them in high quality and own copies. Ali and Presley are two of the century's most famous men.

Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:12 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:I will say that there have to be many more photos from this visit, and it would be a thrill to see them in high quality and own copies. Ali and Presley are two of the century's most famous men.

Yes, you would hope it was a given, that Howard Bingham captured many more memorable shots on this occasion. Hopefully one day he will open up his vast photographic archive, for the enjoyment of fans, who still hold each men with the kind of fervent admiration and devotion, few others could hope to achieve.

(P.S. Ernst, any chance of a release of the Feb 1, 1973 Vegas show on soundboard?)

A rare shot of Ali signing a copy of the posed photograph of Feb 1, 1973

Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:08 pm

Julian Grant wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:Image

. Love this photo of Ali and his personal dresser!! :roll: