Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Ali at an Elvis show,1973

Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:40 pm

Does anybody know the setlist for when Muhammad Ali went to Elvis' show in Las Vegas, Feb,1973?? And any reviews from that show? I hope he but on a good show for Ali.

Re: Ali at an Elvis show,1973

Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:06 pm

great question! maybe elvisalisellers knows something about it.

i did a quick web-research:
according to "candid central" the meeting, where their famous fotos were taken, took place february 14th in elvis´ vegas-suite.
elvisconcerts.com (from our beloved member francesc) says, elvis gave only one dinner-show at 8.15 h that day.
Image

if these informations are correct, it could be straight arrow´s "you don´t have to say you love me" from the very same day.

Image
elvisconcerts.com wrote:Tracklisting
2001 Theme / See See Rider / I Got A Woman - Amen / Love Me Tender / You Don't Have To Say You Love Me / Steamroller Blues / You Gave Me A Mountain / Fever / Love Me / Blue Suede Shoes / Heartbreak Hotel / Johnny B. Goode / Hound Dog / What Now My Love / Suspicious Minds / Band Introductions / I Can't Stop Loving You / American Trilogy / I Can't Stop Loving You / American Trilogy / Can't Help Falling In Love / Closing Vamp - Announcements


while i don´t own this cd, there seems to be no accustic trace of ali´s presence.
so was ali indeed present at his dinnershow? i somehow doubt it ... or elvis didn´t know about it beforehand.
if elvis had known, he sure would have introduced "the greatest", wouldn´t he?

Re: Ali at an Elvis show,1973

Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:10 pm

GuitarKing wrote:Does anybody know the setlist for when Muhammad Ali went to Elvis' show in Las Vegas, Feb,1973?? And any reviews from that show? I hope he but on a good show for Ali.

Any show Ali attended would be well documented.

Re: Ali at an Elvis show,1973

Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:10 am

I believe the iconic photograph of Elvis and Muhammad Ali squaring up against each other
Image
was taken on February 14, 1973. It was captured just prior to Ali fighting Joe Bugner in Las Vegas, when Ali first wore the robe mistakenly emblazened with The Peoples Choice on the back [it should have read The Peoples Champion] that Elvis proudly presented to Muhammad on said date. I very much doubt Ali had chance to catch Elvis' show that evening, when he had a fairly important fight with Bugner just a matter of hours away.

The more likely scenario of Ali attending an Elvis show that season, would have been on February 1, 1973. On the occasion of Lisa Maries birthday and indeed visit to see her Father in Las Vegas, Elvis and Ali were photographed again - see below and note Elvis' identical attire and appearance in both photos.
ImageImage
So to the posters original question, it would appear Elvis performed only one show [a mere coincidence ?] on the evening of Feb 1, 1973 [8.15pm], and as yet, I have not come across a recording or set-list for that show, to substantiate and verify Ali's presence. That being said it is almost certainly the date in which Ali saw Elvis in performance, and you can bet your bottom dollar that Elvis would have took huge pleasure in introducing the Great Man, of that there is no doubt.

Re: Ali at an Elvis show,1973

Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:37 am

great detective-work, elvisaliseller!
judged by elvis´ necklace, the 2 fotos you posted (lisa´s 5th birthday) could be indeed origin from the very same day.
i oversaw that ali fought bugner indeed on february 14th at the convention center in vegas, so i stand corrected. ali must have been busy enough preparing for his own show, instead of watching elvis´ dinner performance.
so it looks, as if they had met at least two times in february and were photographed on both ocasions.
the soundboard from the february 1st´s dinnershow could give the answer ...

Re: Ali at an Elvis show,1973

Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:52 am

According to Sonny West Ali was in las vegas for a fight Feb 14th and around that time he saw elvis in concert. It says so in his book "Still Taken Care of Business" on the first page of the T-R-O-U-B-L-E chapter towards the end of the book. No big deal but i was just interested to see if he did put on a good show...


::rocks

Re: Ali at an Elvis show,1973

Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:57 pm

GuitarKing wrote:According to Sonny West Ali was in las vegas for a fight Feb 14th and around that time he saw elvis in concert....

Did you read my post ....?

::rocks

Re: Ali at an Elvis show,1973

Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:02 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:Image


That's not a photoshop?

Re: Ali at an Elvis show,1973

Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:09 pm

fg76 wrote:That's not a photoshop?

I believe so.

Re: Ali at an Elvis show,1973

Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:37 pm

Here's a very cool featurette on the Elvis-Ali robe story - Take note of the FABULOUS and previously unseen shot [at 1:13] of Elvis adjusting the robe and the look on Muhammad's face - Priceless ! You cannot but love these two guys.

phpBB [video]

Re: Ali at an Elvis show,1973

Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:15 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:Here's a very cool featurette on the Elvis-Ali robe story - Take note of the FABULOUS and previously unseen shot [at 1:13] of Elvis adjusting the robe and the look on Muhammad's face - Priceless !

previously unseen? not really ...
i posted about this pic on this very board on another ali-thread about three or four years ago (sounds bragging, i know, but it´s true). but i agree, that this pic is rare and i´ve never seen it in high quality/definition.
crazy, that it seems to be on display in the muhammad-ali-center in lousville, but all the same it seems to be impossible to spot it on the internet.
the video is very interesting all the same, thank you!

i´m an ali-fan since my days of childhood, so i suppose, we have lots in common ( ... well, at least two things).

one question:
do you believe, ali has ever seen one of elvis´ concerts in the 70s?/have you ever heard which one?
i have not.
and (like the doc already mentioned) it´s hard to imagine for me, if that happened, that it was never even mentioned, either by press- or fan-reports (except sonny west in "still takin´ care of business", according to guitarking).
Last edited by Christopher on Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Ali at an Elvis show,1973

Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:57 pm

Christopher wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:Here's a very cool featurette on the Elvis-Ali robe story - Take note of the FABULOUS and previously unseen shot [at 1:13] of Elvis adjusting the robe and the look on Muhammad's face - Priceless !

previously unseen? not really ...
i posted about this pic on this very board on another ali-thread about three or four years ago (sounds bragging, i know, but it´s true). but i agree, that this pic is rare and i´ve never seen it in high quality/definition.
crazy, that it seems to be on display in the muhammad-ali-center in lousville, but all the same it seems to be impossible to spot it on the internet.
the video is very interesting all the same, thank you!

i´m an ali-fan since my days of childhood, so i suppose, we have lots in common ( ... well, at least two things).

one question:
do you believe, ali has ever seen one of elvis´ concerts in the 70s?/have you ever heard which one?
i have not.
and (like the doc already mentioned) it´s hard to imagine for me, if that happened, that it was never even mentioned, either by press- or fan-reports (except sonny west in "still takin´ care of business, according to guitarking).

With myself not being on this forum that long, I obviously hadn't realised you had posted about this rare photograph before, but I'm sure you will agree it's well worth mentioning again all the same, especially in the context of the YouTube clip.

As noted in my post yesterday, I am fairly certain Ali saw Elvis perform live in Las Vegas on the evening of February 1, 1973. If we agree the shot of Elvis with Ali and then with Lisa Marie are from the same day [Feb 1], then the strong likelihood is that Ali watched Elvis' performance on that very day.
I do recall reading a quote [may have been an old uk fan club magazine] that mentioned the introduction of Ali by Elvis at a Vegas show, so you would think at least an audience recording is in existence somewhere.
Do you know for certain if a soundboard exists from this date ? It would be a very unique show to own that's for sure, and moreover, you would imagine Elvis raised his game accordingly being in the presence of Muhammad Ali.
Last edited by elvisalisellers on Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Ali at an Elvis show,1973

Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:26 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:I do recall reading a quote [may have been an old uk fan club magazine] that mentioned the introduction of Ali by Elvis at a Vegas show, so you would think at least an audience recording is in existence somewhere.
wow-very interesting. i never read about it!

elvisalisellers wrote:Do you know for certain if a soundboard exists from this show ?
of course i do not. my remark was meant as "wishful thinking".

elvisalisellers wrote: It would be a very unique show to own that's for sure, and moreover, you would imagine Elvis raised his game accordingly being in the presence of Muhammad Ali.
i have my doubts, that elvis would have. in my view, it was all routine for him from then on (especially in vegas). i remember being kind of "dissapointed", when i (had) first listened to the ´76 show on "goodbye, memphis" (re-released as "the final homecoming"). i would have thought, he could have done something special for his hometown-folks, changing his set-list just for the ocasion. instead, he reeled off the same repertoire like the night before and the next one. i do realize, this was ´76 and not 1973.
but i´d expect a regular vegas-show from winter ´72, no surprises and nothing special.
would he have tried harder for ali? my hopes are not that high.
i wish, he´d introduced muhammad on stage, but this is even more unlikely. the audience would have snapped pics like crazy!

referring to your nickname: do you sell elvis or/and ali memorabilia or did you chose it just out of the blue?

Re: Ali at an Elvis show,1973

Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:21 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:... I am fairly certain Ali saw Elvis perform live in Las Vegas on the evening of February 1, 1973.

Based on what evidence? Without evidence, there can be no certainty.

elvisalisellers wrote:I do recall reading a quote [may have been an old uk fan club magazine] that mentioned the introduction of Ali by Elvis at a Vegas show, so you would think at least an audience recording is in existence somewhere.

Is this your evidence?

Using an anonymous, unsourced quote from an unnamed foreign fan magazine of unknown date is of no worth.

What we can be absolutely certain of is that any Ali presence at a Presley show, especially in the mid-70s, would have been well-documented.

The fact that Ali, when speaking of Presley, has never once mentioned seeing the man perform on stage is also a hint that he never saw a show.

Re: Ali at an Elvis show,1973

Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:49 pm

Yes i would certainly agree about the Feb 1st date.NO WAY could Ali actually be preparing for a fight the same evening as visiting Elvis!~~ As no documentation or recording of Feb 1st exists(so far) then their is no certainty at all if Ali saw or was introduced at a show! :?

Re: Ali at an Elvis show,1973

Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:53 pm

Image

Image

Re: Ali at an Elvis show,1973

Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:03 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:... I am fairly certain Ali saw Elvis perform live in Las Vegas on the evening of February 1, 1973.

Based on what evidence? Without evidence, there can be no certainty.


After my brilliant research deciphered that the photograph of Elvis with Ali and then with Lisa Marie are from the same day [Feb 1, 1973], then the strong likelihood is that Ali watched Elvis' performance on that very day.

A studious read of this post might help further: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64601#p960818

Great quote :
You need to understand that some things are a matter of opinion; others are not. Education helps you distinguish between the two. That's not complicated.

Re: Ali at an Elvis show,1973

Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:07 am

Bob-Holland wrote:Image

Image

Bob, I am unclear of the purpose of your post, are you inferring Elvis introduces Ali at this particular show ?

Re: Ali at an Elvis show,1973

Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:15 am

No, not at all. This is by no means my field of expertise. But I remembered PA's cover for this unreleased show, and he usually uses pics for his covers from that particular show or something of importance.
So I think it's fair to assume that PA at least links Ali to this particular show (?).

Re: Ali at an Elvis show,1973

Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:07 am

Christopher wrote:referring to your nickname: do you sell elvis or/and ali memorabilia or did you chose it just out of the blue?

Image

"I know that yes"
Jacques Clouseau - retired French police detective.

Re: Ali at an Elvis show,1973

Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:00 am

elvisalisellers wrote:After my brilliant research deciphered that the photograph of Elvis with Ali and then with Lisa Marie are from the same day [Feb 1, 1973], then the strong likelihood is that Ali watched Elvis' performance on that very day.

What is the brilliant research? An assumption, based on photographs where Elvis wore the same coat and necklaces, that the events were on the same day? That's not research at all, and Elvis was known to wear an item more than once.

What we do know (facts):
- Presley opened at the Hilton in Las Vegas on 1-26-1973 (Fri).
- Lisa Marie turned five on 2-01-1973 (Thu).
- Ali was scheduled to fight British-Australian heavyweight Joe Bugner at the Las Vegas Convention Center on 2-14-1973 (Wed).
- Ali has never stated he saw Elvis in concert.
- There is no known audience tape where Elvis introduces Ali to the crowd.

We also know that Ali worked out on 2-01-1973 and held a press conference afterwards.
And that he had not one but two sparring bouts scheduled for the next day (2-02-1973).

Here is some research to support this:

Image

Logansport Pharos-Tribune, Friday, February 2, 1973

Ali sounds pretty darn busy to be attending a dinner or midnight show on February 1, 1973.

Re: Ali at an Elvis show,1973

Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:45 am

Training for an up coming fight [2 weeks away] would not preclude Ali from catching his childhood hero's 8:15pm show that same day.

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Ali sounds pretty darn busy to be attending a dinner or midnight show on February 1, 1973.

There was no midnight show on February 1, 1973.

Quote:
"This Vegas season proved to be very professional and well performed for the most part. But soon into it, on February 1, Priscilla and Lisa Marie arrived for Lisa's fifth birthday celebrations. It had been just twenty-three days short of Elvis and Priscilla's first anniversary as a separated couple. Photographs from this day exist showing Elvis wearing one of his navy blue flying suits and his lion's claw necklace. In the photos, a healthy looking Elvis poses for "happy" family snaps with Priscilla, Lisa, and Vernon. There is a better known photograph from this day of Elvis standing with boxer Muhammad Ali".

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... D5hTE0vORQ

::rocks

Re: Ali at an Elvis show,1973

Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:41 am

I offer research and facts, and your response?

A quote from an unsubstantiated review on an Elvis site, by someone named "Evan."

We're done here!

::rocks

Re: Ali at an Elvis show,1973

Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:08 am

I'll say this, in 1973, Elvis and Ali ,were the two most famous people in the world. Had Ali attended Elvis' show, it would have been a big deal in my opinion. Not saying it didn't happen, but leaning towards no.

Re: Ali at an Elvis show,1973

Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:30 am

I will quote Sonny West's book,"In late January, he opened his eighth Las Vegas engagement at the Hilton. It was around then that some reviewers noted that his energy level was low an that his shows lacked zip. But there was a personal high for Elvis not long after that, when he met boxing great Muhammad ali. Ali came to town to fight British champion Joe Bugner on February 14. He was staying and training at the Caesars Palace, but he came to see Elvis perform at the Hilton."-Sonny,p.283
Sonny's memory may be a little fuzzy, but i tend to believe he wouldn't mess that up. But to those who say its probably not so i can understand you case for no pics or recordings of this...Or reviews mentioning Ali in the audience. You would think it would show by now. But, Sonny says he saw him perform. I just hope he gave him a good performance...