Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: FTD Reprints - Ernst Comments

Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:18 am

Matthew wrote:
GregCieslik wrote:Actually it all depends how you define "serious issues". In your opinion, it is only a few releases. In some others', including mine, it is more than half of the releases that have major issues.

More than 50 FTD titles do not have "major issues" pertaining to production quality. Much of what you have cited as "serious issues" or "major issues" are no more than differences of opinion regarding artistic decisions for the presentation of the material.

Read my post again. I did say it depends on the definition of the phrase "serious issues". Obviously, that is a subjective decision unless you first agree with everyone on the criteria to come up on the definition. So again, in my opinion based on my criteria - 50% have major issues. I don't know how much more clearer I can be. Your argument on artistic decision and presentation is totaly subjective as well. In the end it is the market that will always dictate whether a product is a success of failure. However, in our case FTD is a monopoly so it is hard to let the market decide as we know that fans will buy any new product that is released. The only competion that they have are "import releases" which sometimes do outshine FTD but not always. But FTD with all the access to the tapes that they have should be hands and shoulders above any one else - but unfortunately, they are not.
Last edited by GregCieslik on Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:25 am

Matthew wrote:Out of 100 titles there are relatively few with any real serious issues. Sound errors and typos are not restricted to small labels like FTD, it is an industry wide problem that occurs from time to time.

That is the reality the FTD bashers can never get a grip on.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:29 am

chevyford wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote: Here are 15 examples from just the past 5 years:

Elvis Is Back!
Loving You
Something For Everybody
Elvis Presley
Let Yourself Go
His Hand In Mine
50 Million Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong
Pot Luck
Elvis In Person
The Wonder Of You
Jailhouse Rock
How Great Thou Art
King Creole : The Music
(Book + CD)
Jailhouse Rock Volume 2
Elvis Sings Guitar Man

Great sound, incredible sessions, insightful notes, amazing outtakes -- a true fan's dream!

Yes, but some Elvis fans are still contemplating suicide over a few of those titles having the white borders!!!!

They should just get it over with already, and leave us with a higher percentage of sane Elvis Presley fans.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:12 am

Matthew wrote:
GregCieslik wrote:Actually it all depends how you define "serious issues". In your opinion, it is only a few releases. In some others', including mine, it is more than half of the releases that have major issues.

More than 50 FTD titles do not have "major issues" pertaining to production quality. Much of what you have cited as "serious issues" or "major issues" are no more than differences of opinion regarding artistic decisions for the presentation of the material.

Wrong on all accounts. Artistic decisions are CHOICES that are made.

You can make good choices and you can make bad choices.

Whatever choices are made they are made at a risk.

When FTD started out I bought everything they put out.

NOT NOW!!

And that has nothing to do with Elvis's show or Elvis' voice, or Elvis and his cussing or any of that.

I collect unreleased Elvis audio.

If it's not presented correctly and not at a fair price or its hacked up, I won't buy it.

I will wait til it gets the "import" treatment.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:19 am

ekenee wrote:Again, I will ask you a rather leading question just to see if you can answer truthfully
and consistently.

This goes along with my idea of Ernst releasing two versions at the same time.

If the memphis-74 show had been released edited as is AND
the complete show as it is on tape simutaneously, which one would you buy if you had the choice for the same money?

Come one midnight, here's your big chance to actually answer something and be consistent with

your sarcasm. Put your money where you mouth is dude.

AAARRRGGGHHHH! Not again...

Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:31 am

ekenee wrote:I will wait til it gets the "import" treatment.

While there are some nice imports, there has also been a ton of sh*t issued over the years by bootleggers. It is comical how some of you guys act as if imports are the gold standard.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:21 am

midnightx wrote:
ekenee wrote:I will wait til it gets the "import" treatment.

While there are some nice imports, there has also been a ton of sh*t issued over the years by bootleggers. It is comical how some of you guys act as if imports are the gold standard.

It is comical how you just twist and quote everything I write totally out of context to fit your agenda.

You are so transparent you don't even cast a shadow.

Try to follow along college boy.

Yes, the bootleggers have released a ton of crap, most of which I don't buy.

I used to buy more of it, but they have milked the cow more than sony.

How many times did they release the memphis 74 show before they got it right. FIVE!!

Yeah, they are milking it. But in the end they did beat sony and FTD hands down.

My comment on waiting for it to get the import treatment was in response to the

final Hayride show. Why should I pay $100 for what 7 or 8 unreleased songs?

And have to purchase all the 1956 masters AND outtakes again which I own on FTD.

That is insane. Can't you even understand how insane that is?

There is no gold standard. being an elvis fan these days is hunting and choosing and searching and reading reviews by informed unbias sources
so you don't end up throwing your precious money away.

They are all in competition for the al-mighty dollar. That is the bottom line.

When are you going to answer my latest question.....chicken??
Takin' the 5th on that one?
Might expose you for the poser that you are?

Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:34 am

I answered your "question" in the original thread pertaining to the Memphis concert. Go back and take a peak. You just love digging a deeper hole, don't you?

Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:04 am

midnightx wrote:I answered your "question" in the original thread pertaining to the Memphis concert. Go back and take a peak. You just love digging a deeper hole, don't you?

You dodged it.
Still have not gotten anything resembling an answer from you ever.
That's ok, because that, in itself, speaks volumes.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:33 am

Matthew wrote:What a crock of sh*t.

Make that a crockpot.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:04 pm

FTD will never please everyone, Ernst has been put in charge of overseeing this project and from comments that have been attributed to him and the role he has looking after Elvis's music - we need to put our trust in him. There isn't a man alive who hasn't got things wrong in someone elses eyes, but I do not believe that he holds onto versions just to make a fast buck in the future.

For me I would be delighted to get additional outtakes on the reprints and get 2 CDS for the price of one, (hopefully). But what I would like FTD to do is be a bit more artistic in the artwork of these reprints so that it seem like a new product rather than a rehash of an old one. I am sure there must be alternative cover art for the albums that weren't used first time around. I would also like them to consider changing the track order so that whilst all the tracks from the original albums are included its not just a copy of before with some addons at the end.

I wish FTD and Ernst well for the future and lets all get behind them to make the most of the time we have left with these releases.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:12 pm

I don't even know why anyone or Ernst would even be thinking about reprints at this early point, even if new
tape sources were found.

The reason being, he hasn't even completed the first run of classic albums or live shows yet.

The priority at this early juncture should not be reprinting old FTD's but rather concentrating

on the Sun project and other current projects.

Reprints shouldn't even be concidered for years to come.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:17 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:
GregCieslik wrote:Currently we are (thinking of) reprinting about 11 titles, so we have 11 discussions....

Hopefully this will include upgrades of Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis, Viva Las Vegas and Today.

We may even get an improved Stage Rehearsal edit....

Reprint of Today please!!! With better sound that is :wink:

Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:21 pm

ekenee wrote:I don't even know why anyone or Ernst would even be thinking about reprints at this early point, even if new
tape sources were found.

The reason being, he hasn't even completed the first run of classic albums or live shows yet.

The priority at this early juncture should not be reprinting old FTD's but rather concentrating

I agree with this.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:27 pm

ekenee wrote:I don't even know why anyone or Ernst would even be thinking about reprints at this early point, even if new
tape sources were found.

I think it's been alluded to, that stocks of certain titles are now very low and rather than reissue as is, a sound and content upgrade for certain titles is the better retail option. This is to be commended in my view.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:56 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:
tape sources were found.

I think it's been alluded to, that stocks of certain titles are now very low and rather than reissue as is, a sound and content upgrade for certain titles is the better retail option. This is to be commended in my view.

If this is the reason that the stock is low, then what was the point of advertising all these as limited edtions. If new ones are being just reprinted. Elvis Shop sanctioned by EPE in the US is still advertising all these FTD releases as limited editions??????

Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:19 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:
tape sources were found.

I am not against it, but the timing is totally off.

Why is he putting these upgrades ahead of the Sun project in priority??

This simply is not a priority at this time.

And as midnightx would say, it's not a tragedy if they aren't put out YET.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:05 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

For me this is excellent news I have been waiting for years 8).

Roll on:

FTD Viva Las Vegas 2 cd set. :smt007 :smt007 :smt007 :smt007 :smt007
FTD Fun In Acapulco 2 cd set. :smt007 :smt007 :smt007 :smt007 :smt007

I asked Ernst Jorgensen personally in Memphis during this Elvis week about this and he answered me he would think about it. So if he decide to do this, please donĀ“t blame me smt174. Bye for now :smt006.

Thanks for bringing it up with Ernst. I would rebuy these two for sure.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:07 pm

also inc. unedited count in and studio chatter too even on the masters.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:22 pm

ekenee wrote:I don't even know why anyone or Ernst would even be thinking about reprints at this early point, even if new tape sources were found.

Maybe because Ernst has explicitly stated that FTD will immediately prepare a re-release when new tape sources are found. The label is not going be around for the next 50 years, and neither are we. Thus, immediacy is paramount.

Perhaps you should dial back your criticisms until you become knowledgeable on the subject.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:56 pm

Matthew wrote:More than 50 FTD titles do not have "major issues" pertaining to production quality. Much of what you have cited as "serious issues" or "major issues" are no more than differences of opinion regarding artistic decisions for the presentation of the material.

What about the foggy FTD's? Have you checked your copy of Loving You or I Found My Thrill recently? Maybe that's why an upgrade is considered :twisted:

Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:06 pm

buddy holly wrote:
Matthew wrote:More than 50 FTD titles do not have "major issues" pertaining to production quality. Much of what you have cited as "serious issues" or "major issues" are no more than differences of opinion regarding artistic decisions for the presentation of the material.

What about the foggy FTD's? Have you checked your copy of Loving You or I Found My Thrill recently? Maybe that's why an upgrade is considered :twisted:

My Let Yourself Go ftd is showing signs of this.... thankfully it still plays okay.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:33 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ekenee wrote:I don't even know why anyone or Ernst would even be thinking about reprints at this early point, even if new tape sources were found.

Maybe because Ernst has explicitly stated that FTD will immediately prepare a re-release when new tape sources are found. The label is not going be around for the next 50 years, and neither are we. Thus, immediacy is paramount.

Perhaps you should dial back your criticisms until you become knowledgeable on the subject.

Because its total bullsh*t.
That's why!!

Yeah, it's gonna be a total tragedy if those soundtracks arent' upgraded. Give me a freakin break!!!!

Where is that Memphis 74 concert upgrade? TICk tick tick.

Better get that one out before the label folds.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:55 am

The last few years FTD has been at its very best. Guitar Man, both Jailhouse Rocks, Blue Hawaii, How Great Thou Art, Elvis Country, Elvis Sings Memphis TN. these and others are simply A+ outstanding CDs. Elvis fans have things better now than they have ever had since Elvis died. I am eagerly await GI Blues. Simply put, FTD and ELVIS ROCK.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:59 am

L Ray wrote:The last few years FTD has been at its very best. Guitar Man, both Jailhouse Rocks, Blue Hawaii, How Great Thou Art, Elvis Country, Elvis Sings Memphis TN. these and others are simply A+ outstanding CDs. Elvis fans have things better now than they have ever had since Elvis died. I am eagerly await GI Blues. Simply put, FTD and ELVIS ROCK.

Thank you.