Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: FTD Reprints - Ernst Comments

Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:23 pm

DarrylMac wrote:
However, the classic albums are a disaster.

I'm simply staggered by this comment! These classic album released, containing the albums, relevant singles, first takes and the best of the alternates, are a dream come true for Elvis fans. As Doc and others have pointed out, we are incredibly luck to have them, and I for one, wouldn't want an entire session - these releases are perfect the way they are.

Long may they continue, and if they find a worthwhile way to upgrade them along the way, so be it.

We've never had it so good, so stop acting like a group of spoiled children. I still remember what a revelation the first Essential Elvis release was, after years and years of the same old stuff over and over again.

I AM REFERRING TO THE ALBUM COVER ART AS DISASTER. The content varies from release to release. Some are excellent as they contain full sessions. Some are mixed bag of sound quality and missing takes - Elvis Today for example.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:56 pm

I was puzzled by the decision to release Viva Las Vegas as only one disc. I'd like to hear more of those outtakes, if there are any more to be had (there are at least two new outtakes on the vinyl, of course).

Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:35 pm

I still find it bizarre that people accuse a record company of releasing or re-releasing things for the money. That is the point of being a company. If you don't like it, don't buy it. There is no coersion from Sony/FTD, from what I understand.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:55 pm

Re-release all they want!! It's optional to buy!

I'm all for them making money, or else they will stop making records :roll:

Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:57 pm

GregCieslik wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
GregCieslik wrote:... Ernst chose not to include complete sessions - Elvis Today is just one example.

Right. Because FTD has stated many times they are not about releasing "complete sessions," they are geared to creating listenable albums that enhance the recorded legacy. Anyone can roll out takes ad infinitum and create a boring product only desirable to obsessives. That is not the path FTD has chosen, thank God.

Did you read my post about why there was an FTD reissue of Girl Happy yet?

I did read it. There was no improvement with sound quality. Most people say they can't hear any difference. I have both. The only difference is the master of You'll Be Gone is included instead of the alternate take. Big deal. I am not even going to discus the artwork changes. There is nothing significant at all. If it comes down to artwork. FTD would have to reissue almost the whole catalog to really get it right - I am talking strictly about the classic albums. The other albums have accepltable artwork - it is matter of personal tastes. However, the classic albums are a disaster. Some are not even close to the originals in clarity and ratio aspect.

If Ernst is going to rerelease these albums as 2 CD sets, then great at least we will get additional takes.

And please don't talk about FTD not releasing complete sessions because they want to produce interesting albums. NONE of these albums are listanable by any one except a die hard Elvis fans. Most people don't care about different outtakes and false starts. We do and we should get everything there is instead of splices, edits, omissions etc.

I agree fully with you Greg. Recent FTD Classic albums seem to give us a multitude of new false starts and musicians tuning instruments but keep out the more preferable long false starts and complete takes.
I almost wish that they would release 2 sets of cds, one with complete sessions for people like you and I and one for those that prefer to have it the way it is now. I'm sure that there would be enough sales to satisfy both groups. People that would find complete session releases boring must feel the same with the recent Classic Albums full of false starts and dead space between one take and another, often with Elvis not present or inaudible, yet they are still not complete. Packaging is usually fantastic but I wouldn't pay $40 for a nice 'collectible' package because in the end, the only really valuable collectible Elvis product out there consists of items created while he was still alive. Everything post 1977 is pretty well worthless except for sentimental value to the people that own it.
I know a few people that have not bought as many recent FTD Classic albums due to lack of new complete alternate takes.
In the end, I'm still thankful for all the great releases through Ernst/Roger and though the well is running dry, there's still so much new to have before the reissues begin again.
Lucio

Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:05 pm

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:Boy, you folks should have been around for the Joan Deary days!

Yep, Elvis sings for childern and grownups too!
Our times are so much better. Ernst policy has its errors and problems but boy we got spoiled over the last decade.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:30 pm

midnightx wrote:It isn't uncommon for record labels to upgrade titles with new mastering, from new tape sources, to correct tape speed, newly discovered bonus tracks, etc. For example, I can't tell you how many times I have purchased Who's Next. Why shouldn't FTD offer fans the best possible option for sound if improvements can be made over time? Additionally, it isn't as if anyone is being coerced into buying upgrades. I am fine with my original FTD version of Girl Happy -- if that is a soundtrack that some of you find essential, then buy the version with a sonic upgrade. Would it have been preferrable for FTD to issue the best version initially? Of course, but as with all record labels, issuing it right the first time isn't always possible. Too much is being made out of Ernst's comments. Most of us have attempted upgrading our masters with Anesini's work from 2007. Why doesn't the same desire and standard apply to FTD? If improvements can be made for certain titles subsequently, I don't see what the big problem is.

Well said. I think criticism has helped the label improve ("the sounds have improved, ...whatever.." :D ) and if they wanted to make some titles less obscure and to reach what's left of the broader fan base, I'd be for that too ..with a basic publicity, website, etc.

Having lived through the Joan Dreary years (as someone once called them), I'll take the occasional misstep and I"m all for any "new looks" at the material. The FTD label, all things considered, remains a dream come true for hard-core fans, especially those with longer memories.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:35 pm

I am very happy with the 'classic albums ' series ...and long may they continue on FTD!` :lol:

Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:57 pm

People seem to clamor for re-releases of bootleg concerts but not FTD's. As long as they're telling me what they're doing and what's different, so I can choose whether or not to buy, have at it.

Again, the sound on the concerts in Fasion For A King is more than acceptable and I'm glad they released the shows with the book. Despite its flaws, it is one of the best products released by anybody this year.

Thank you for everything, FTD.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:31 am

stevelecher wrote:People seem to clamor for re-releases of bootleg concerts but not FTD's.

Bizarre, isn't it?

Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:22 am

The precusor to the FTD project was the ongoing Dylan "Bootleg Series." You generally don't hear his fans bellyaching in this manner. And they could cause there's much more I'd like to hear from a LEGAL uncomplicated listen. But there is more patience and appreciation. As the Bobster sang "Some bootleggers/Make some pretty good stuff." And legal is so much easier. You don't have to contact "your dealer."

We are mighty lucky!

rjm

Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:40 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
midnightx wrote:It isn't uncommon for record labels to upgrade titles with new mastering, from new tape sources, to correct tape speed, newly discovered bonus tracks, etc. For example, I can't tell you how many times I have purchased Who's Next. Why shouldn't FTD offer fans the best possible option for sound if improvements can be made over time? Additionally, it isn't as if anyone is being coerced into buying upgrades. I am fine with my original FTD version of Girl Happy -- if that is a soundtrack that some of you find essential, then buy the version with a sonic upgrade. Would it have been preferrable for FTD to issue the best version initially? Of course, but as with all record labels, issuing it right the first time isn't always possible. Too much is being made out of Ernst's comments. Most of us have attempted upgrading our masters with Anesini's work from 2007. Why doesn't the same desire and standard apply to FTD? If improvements can be made for certain titles subsequently, I don't see what the big problem is.

Well said. I think criticism has helped the label improve ("the sounds have improved, ...whatever.." :D ) and if they wanted to make some titles less obscure and to reach what's left of the broader fan base, I'd be for that too ..with a basic publicity, website, etc.

Having lived through the Joan Dreary years (as someone once called them), I'll take the occasional misstep and I"m all for any "new looks" at the material. The FTD label, all things considered, remains a dream come true for hard-core fans, especially those with longer memories.

:smt023 After reading these 3 pages I have concluded that Greg will not be happy unless everything from all sessions is released, including Elvis burping and f a r t i n g (spaces required...)

Rock on FTD and continue helping Elvis fans enjoy more music than any other artist out there!

Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:59 am

What is the obsession with complete sessions? How many times do you listen to 10, 12 or 20 takes in a row? I know I don't. I actually appreciate the care taken to release the best outtakes and eliminate the false starts, etc. Maybe I'm lazy, but not having to wade though a bunch of false starts makes for a better listening pleasure.

MT

Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:16 am

MysteryTrain wrote:What is the obsession with complete sessions? How many times do you listen to 10, 12 or 20 takes in a row? I know I don't. I actually appreciate the care taken to release the best outtakes and eliminate the false starts, etc. Maybe I'm lazy, but not having to wade though a bunch of false starts makes for a better listening pleasure.

MT

Unless we're talking about legendary sessions from the 1950s, I totally agree with you. FTD have done a marvelous job at presenting the outtakes from sessions, and in general the 1950s Classic Albums, and all the Nashville Classic Albums from 1960-1971 have seen the best treatment so far. They've set the standard for FTD of how the job is done and they're about as perfect as they could be.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:34 am

MysteryTrain wrote:What is the obsession with complete sessions? How many times do you listen to 10, 12 or 20 takes in a row? I know I don't. I actually appreciate the care taken to release the best outtakes and eliminate the false starts, etc. Maybe I'm lazy, but not having to wade though a bunch of false starts makes for a better listening pleasure.

MT

For me, it's all about hearing the song as it developed, in 'take' order. To me, this adds a whole new appreciation of the creative process on both Elvis' and the musician's part. Maybe it's because I play a few instruments but I really like listening to the progress of a song from take 1 to the final take.

Of course, I understand that everyone has different tastes. But I hope those that prefer less can at least try and understand mine instead of calling me a deragatory term.

And hey, if complete sessions were released, those who only want two discs worth of material can make their own compilations. Those who want more will have more. Everyone wins.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:48 am

midnightx wrote:I just hope we get the Memphis concert reissued with the false start of Help Me.

Yes, but more importantly the part where Elvis says, "Honey, you have got some bad laryngitis!". :lol:

Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:55 am

chevyford wrote:
midnightx wrote:I just hope we get the Memphis concert reissued with the false start of Help Me.

Yes, but more importantly the part where Elvis says, "Honey, you have got some bad laryngitis!". :lol:

It would be a tragedy if that dialogue was missing from the master tapes.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:01 am

drjohncarpenter wrote: Here are 15 examples from just the past 5 years:

Elvis Is Back!
Loving You
Something For Everybody
Elvis Presley
Let Yourself Go
His Hand In Mine
50 Million Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong
Pot Luck
Elvis In Person
The Wonder Of You
Jailhouse Rock
How Great Thou Art
King Creole : The Music
(Book + CD)
Jailhouse Rock Volume 2
Elvis Sings Guitar Man

Great sound, incredible sessions, insightful notes, amazing outtakes -- a true fan's dream!

Yes, but some Elvis fans are still contemplating suicide over a few of those titles having the white borders!!!!

Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:08 am

GregCieslik wrote:I AM REFERRING TO THE ALBUM COVER ART AS DISASTER.

1. Easy Come, Easy Go photo
2. The strange, previously never-existing white borders

Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:11 am

midnightx wrote:
chevyford wrote:

It would be a tragedy if that dialogue was missing from the master tapes.

Not really the point now is it.

It's just music. Nothing they do or don't is tragic smartass.

But the point is you can't really critique any FTD release without prejudice.

So Ernst screws up every now and then,...just admit it,

and stop giving your sarcastic "oh that's a tragedy".

It may not be a tradedy, but it shows the lack of quality control that goes on at FTD,

Read some of the spot on reviews of the latest FTD's in the latest EMMAHM magazine.

They are losing sales with these poor ediing judgements.

Again, I will ask you a rather leading question just to see if you can answer truthfully
and consistently.

This goes along with my idea of Ernst releasing two versions at the same time.

If the memphis-74 show had been released edited as is AND
the complete show as it is on tape simutaneously, which one would you buy if you had the choice for the same money?

Come one midnight, here's your big chance to actually answer something and be consistent with

your sarcasm. Put your money where you mouth is dude.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:32 am

Mike S wrote:In this particular instance that is correct, but at this time she was understudy to Dennis Ferrante which appears to be be significant. Her efforts when entrusted alone with this '69 live material (All Shook Up) do not compare at all.

You're making two assumptions here: 1) that she was in any way guided by Dennis Ferrante in her mastering work. 2) that she mixed the "All Shook Up" release.

My takes: 1) Dennis was (is?) a New York based engineer. I doubt he guided Lene in any fashion what-so-ever. I expect he mixed the material in New York, and that mix was sent to Denmark for mastering. 2) There is no mixing credit on "All Shook Up" so we aren't to know who mixed it. Despite its mixing asthetic I find the end result more appealing than "At the International" - ie. no obvious overuse of reverb effects. Neither titles hold a candle though to Vic Anesini's work with similar 1969 material as far as I'm concerned.

Mike S wrote:No, however regarding the FTD label, the painful inconsistancy in sound quality on releases such as Love Letters, That's The Way It Is and Elvis Country have for the most part kept me away from FTD studio releases.

The mastering itself is fine on these releases, and they are very consistent to each other regarding the outtakes. However I believe you are referring to the reverb on the studio outtakes and I do agree that the results are not ideal, certainly when compared to the 1971 sessions on "Now" and "Fool" which are both excellently mixed and mastered titles - worth checking out. Other excellent presentations include the Stax albums and all Nashville 60s albums, along with of course all 50s material to date.

Mike S wrote:That's without mentioning the ongoing cock-ups, most recently on the Fashion For A King set which appears lamentable in the extreme with regard to both text, content and CD sound quality. Have I personally seen/ heard it? No, and from the reviews and previous experience, I'm not bothered to either.

I haven't seen it either but it seems that this release had little involvement from the FTD team outside of the music, which apparently sounds fine for soundboard recordings. This doesn't excuse putting the book under the FTD umbrella with all the grammer/typos that have been reported though. It certainly doesn't tarnish the general quality of FTD books though, which are otherwise excellent (I have them all) for their briefs.

Mike S wrote:Which highlights another major drawback on this label. i.e.the continuing sloppy approach. Because of this, it's difficult to conclude that a great deal of effort has been made to ensure a good quality product. If it had, these errors would not be present on a regular basis, simple as that.

Out of 100 titles there are relatively few with any real serious issues. Sound errors and typos are not restricted to small labels like FTD, it is an industry wide problem that occurs from time to time.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:31 am

Out of 100 titles there are relatively few with any real serious issues. Sound errors and typos are not restricted to small labels like FTD, it is an industry wide problem that occurs from time to time.

In response to the above quote:

Actually it all depends how you define "serious issues". In your opinion, it is only a few releases. In some others', including mine, it is more than half of the releases that have major issues. Don't get me wrong, I love these releases, and own every single one, but some of us know what they could have been in our opinion. I consider the following major issues: cover art that is sloppy in reproducing the original, intros and count ins imported from different takes, outtakes in out of order and spliced, rehearsals spliced with concert tapes, known missing takes not included, edited concerts etc, etc. I could go on but why bother.

You should all remember that challenging someone's work is not a crime. That's what increases the quality standard that people are willing to accept. In the retail world, customers these days are very demending and expect products of higest caliber. If we are not willing to challenge FTD, then who is. There is nothing wrong with continous product improvement. If we are going to accept the position of some of the writers here, then we should do nothing and just be thankful and greatful that we have FTD. Yes, we are thankful, but every customer demands more with time. And this is exactly what is happening here.

People who keep writing about the "Joan Deary days", give it a break. I was there too. Obviously, there was a void in the Elvis world. RCA back then did not listen and did not respond to the demand. The bootlegers did and dd a fine job. That is the only reason why we have FTD in the first place. Now that we have FTD, it just needs to continue to evolve and grow. However, re-releasing old FTD catalog without adding anything is not the way to do it. Again, this is constructive criticism and should be taken as such.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:51 am

GregCieslik wrote:Out of 100 titles there are relatively few with any real serious issues. Sound errors and typos are not restricted to small labels like FTD, it is an industry wide problem that occurs from time to time.

In response to the above quote:

Actually it all depends how you define "serious issues". In your opinion, it is only a few releases. In some others', including mine, it is more than half of the releases that have major issues. Don't get me wrong, I love these releases, and own every single one, but some of us know what they could have been in our opinion. I consider the following major issues: cover art that is sloppy in reproducing the original, intros and count ins imported from different takes, outtakes in out of order and spliced, rehearsals spliced with concert tapes, known missing takes not included, edited concerts etc, etc. I could go on but why bother.

You should all remember that challenging someone's work is not a crime. That's what increases the quality standard that people are willing to accept. In the retail world, customers these days are very demending and expect products of higest caliber. If we are not willing to challenge FTD, then who is. There is nothing wrong with continous product improvement. If we are going to accept the position of some of the writers here, then we should do nothing and just be thankful and greatful that we have FTD. Yes, we are thankful, but every customer demands more with time. And this is exactly what is happening here.

People who keep writing about the "Joan Deary days", give it a break. I was there too. Obviously, there was a void in the Elvis world. RCA back then did not listen and did not respond to the demand. The bootlegers did and dd a fine job. That is the only reason why we have FTD in the first place. Now that we have FTD, it just needs to continue to evolve and grow. However, re-releasing old FTD catalog without adding anything is not the way to do it. Again, this is constructive criticism and should be taken as such.

Totally agree with everything.
Some members here are happy with the statis quo of "OK".
They are "satisfied" with whatever comes out.
It's as if they don't even want better product or even want Ernst to put out better product.
They refuse to even challenge Ernst to do better.
Like you said over time the customers have come to expect a bit better quality control, but
as of lately, it has been only fair.
Yes, about 50% of the cd's have some serious issues.
But that leaves 50 that are pretty damn good.

Didn't Joan Deary put out the silver and gold box sets?
Those were great. and the leg. perf. series. Great.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:52 am

GregCieslik wrote:Actually it all depends how you define "serious issues". In your opinion, it is only a few releases. In some others', including mine, it is more than half of the releases that have major issues.

More than 50 FTD titles do not have "major issues" pertaining to production quality. Much of what you have cited as "serious issues" or "major issues" are no more than differences of opinion regarding artistic decisions for the presentation of the material.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:57 am

ekenee wrote:It's as if they don't even want better product or even want Ernst to put out better product.
They refuse to even challenge Ernst to do better.
Like you said over time the customers have come to expect a bit better quality control, but
as of lately, it has been only fair.
Yes, about 50% of the cd's have some serious issues.

What a crock of sh*t. Multi-track material has never been mixed and mastered better than it has in recent years, no doubt because FTD felt "challanged to do better". Some titles have received booklets, not doubt because FTD felt "challanged to do better". Open your eyes and your ears and you might see and smell your BS before you step in it.