More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: FTD Reprints - Ernst Comments

Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:08 am

So, I decided to do the poll:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64136

Vote early, vote often...

Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:54 am

Watch what happens when Ernst locates the missing un-edited songs from Girl happy such
as Fort lauderdale..., and Wolf Call. We will get a third upgrade. IN-sanity.

This is the kind of "priorities" that is taking up the time that should be spent on

proof reading the Sun project book.

The quality control at FTD has been dicey so why is there time all of a sudden to finally
"get it right".

Someone said that we don't have to buy them again.

But they sure are trying to sell the material again and again.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:55 am

I just hope we get the Memphis concert reissued with the false start of Help Me.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:08 am

midnightx wrote:I just hope we get the Memphis concert reissued with the false start of Help Me.

It should have never been issued without it in the first place.

Many other projects, either DVD or audio have included false starts.

From the Ed sullivan show to the 68 special material, to Elvis in MSG.

There was no reason to leave it off this time, along with dialogue that was on the original album.

So, perhaps it has sunk in.

My question is... when is Ernst going to reprint the Stage Rehearsals CD so I can buy it?

Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:25 am

More Memphis Sessions 69 please please please!

Some people have no gratitude. Before Ernst there was nothing: hyperbolic but essentially true.

Thank you Ernst!

rjm

Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:48 am

rjm wrote:More Memphis Sessions 69 please please please!

Some people have no gratitude. Before Ernst there was nothing: hyperbolic but essentially true.

Thank you Ernst!

rjm

There is no doubt about it; outtakes from the American Sound recordings are thinly represented by FTD, and really the mainstream label as a whole. Clearly the underground market has done its job releasing a significant amount ofthe material, but there should be a broader availability of outtakes officially released. Frankly, with the Legacy Edition of the From Elvis In Memphis album (coupled with Back In Memphis), it may be more effective for FTD to issue a multi-disc second volume of the Memphis Sessions. I see no need to repurchase the master recordings once again. However, I could see FTD giving From Elvis In Memphis and Back In Memphis classic album reissues if only for conformity. Time will tell.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:54 am

American Sound Outtakes. Yea Midnight!

+1

rjm

Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:36 am

rjm wrote:American Sound Outtakes. Yea Midnight!

+1

rjm

See the cd set, "American way". Five volumes.

Practically the full complete sessions are there.

And you thought before Ernst there was nothing.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:38 am

Boy, you folks should have been around for the Joan Deary days!

Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:41 am

Regarding Girl Happy
How do I identify the newer reprint to purchase?
Does it have a different cat#?

Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:49 am

ekenee wrote:
rjm wrote:American Sound Outtakes. Yea Midnight!

+1

rjm

See the cd set, "American way". Five volumes.

Practically the full complete sessions are there.

And you thought before Ernst there was nothing.

Any problem with people wanting an official release of additional American Sound recordings?

Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:01 am

PiersEIN wrote:The first "Classic Album " releases were in 2005 where FTD first gave fans "2 CDs for the price of one". (except for New Year's Eve)

Before 2005 no FTD fans really expected the warts-and-all-the-outtakes approach that we now get.

The idea of those early soundtrack albums having all the outtakes was not what was expected.
Would have been nice - but stuff like Viva Las Vegas wouldn't fit into 80 minutes in any case.
(Do I really want 20 takes of Adam & Evil anyway?!)

But now FTD have raised the bar - and changed the initial format - so now we get (or expect!) the format of...
CD1 Original Album plus "Best Ofs" (or first takes), CD2 - All the other outtakes.

Now I think we would all love the Soundtrack albums in the same (new) extended format with all the outtakes at the same two-for-one price.
(after all you don't have to play all of CD2!!)

Strangely I am a sucker for Harum Scarum! Give me ALL the outtakes!!
- But not a great fan of Frankie & Johnny! (happy with the 1 CD version I have)

So if FTD are doing a Soundtrack reprint in any case but can now re-compile it to include a 2nd CD or even more outtakes (plus the better Vic Anesini Masters) that would surely be good for most fans.

Some may whinge but I think if FTD properly explain why they can now do an extended version, people will like it.

After all we don't have to buy it - and there have been a lot changes and expectations in the seven years since Harum Scarum & F & J first came out.

Cheers
Piers

Very good post....I am all for adding a 2nd or 3rd cd to these.....and I personally want all the outtakes and in between take dialogue available as this gives me a total feel of the session, Elvis mood, and my enjoyment of the fly on the wall.....bring it on Ernst....now only a rerpressing of a single disc set with upgraded sound is what troubles me....please add more discs and those that don't want them save your money for another 1976 soundboard. A person that does not want all the outtakes can simply trash them or never listen to them at all. I thank Ernst in advance for giving me a chance to hear things the way he has been privy to. That I may study the artist the way he has.
I'd love a 2 cd set of Viva Las Vegas, Harum Scarum, and others.....if possible bring on a new pressing of Girl Happy with a 2nd disc! And please the entire party album containing all of the US Male Sessions unedited.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:10 am

ekenee wrote:Watch what happens when Ernst locates the missing un-edited songs from Girl happy such
as Fort lauderdale..., and Wolf Call. We will get a third upgrade. IN-sanity.

This is the kind of "priorities" that is taking up the time that should be spent on

proof reading the Sun project book.

The quality control at FTD has been dicey so why is there time all of a sudden to finally
"get it right".

Someone said that we don't have to buy them again.

But they sure are trying to sell the material again and again.

Funny....I had not read your post yet ....but if a substantial disc could be added with more outtakes and the "complete" versions of the songs from Girl Happy.....I'd but the 3rd edition right now! Don't waste time.....if it is available bring it on.....I may not be here tomorrow.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:34 am

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:Boy, you folks should have been around for the Joan Deary days!

Yup. It's like the difference between eating some bread crumbs once a year and enjoying a beignet with café au lait every day of the week.

ForeverElvis wrote:Regarding Girl Happy
How do I identify the newer reprint to purchase?
Does it have a different cat#?

You can apparently tell the old from the new by the nCb trademark on the back in the lower right corner.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:56 am

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:Boy, you folks should have been around for the Joan Deary days!

TRUTH!

rjm
P.S. For early boot collectors it became a traumatic and scary time: The Crackdown. They made people feel like dopers getting an ilegal fix!

FTD and the great stuff leading up to it have all been so wonderful after all that.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:57 am

The FTD label appears to have mutated over recent years into little more than a money making machine. At least that it seems is where the priorities lie. Hence if the producers feel that there are enough suckers...sorry fans...to constantly re-buy material they already own, they will continue to re-issue it albeit with a slight tweak to call it 'an upgrade' or 'new' or whatever.Why has effort been put into this ahead of issuing new products such as the much hailed 'Sun' book for instance? Because it takes less effort and is therefore more lucrative, I suspect.

Some may feel that my views are simply those of a cynic. However they are nothing compared to those who are currently heading the Elvis catalogue. The Complete Elvis Masters anyone...."Once they're gone there gone." Hilarious.

As it stands there is actually no incentive whatsoever to issue a premium product when they feel that they can simply re-issue it in a corrected form later on....and make even more money!

If only there was a viable solution.
Last edited by Mike S on Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:01 pm

I think it's great idea, I would love an 'upgraded' 2 disc version of the older classics. And while they are at it, please let go of the stupid white borders and use their original covers (I happened ATWF for example)

Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:39 pm

Mike S wrote:The FTD label appears to have mutated over recent years into little more than a money making machine. At least that it seems is where the priorities lie.

I cannot share this view. If it were simply about money then product would be churned out with little investment in the end result. Clearly the people behind the releases care about the audio and presentation. The regular release titles have always been in digipaks for example, yet certain recent titles have included booklets - something some fans have desired for years. That is additional cost, time, and effort. Why have a renowned mastering engineer like Vic Anesini mix and master FTD releases when they could be just done at Tocano like the old days if it were all about the money. Why go the extra mile? Because fans called for better audio. If anything the overall quality of the product(s) have improved over the years. Certainly the last 5 years have been very consistent.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:12 pm

Matthew wrote:
Mike S wrote:The FTD label appears to have mutated over recent years into little more than a money making machine. At least that it seems is where the priorities lie.

I cannot share this view. If it were simply about money then product would be churned out with little investment in the end result. Clearly the people behind the releases care about the audio and presentation. The regular release titles have always been in digipaks for example, yet certain recent titles have included booklets - something some fans have desired for years. That is additional cost, time, and effort. Why have a renowned mastering engineer like Vic Anesini mix and master FTD releases when they could be just done at Tocano like the old days if it were all about the money. Why go the extra mile? Because fans called for better audio. If anything the overall quality of the product(s) have improved over the years. Certainly the last 5 years have been very consistent.

I agree.

In particular, people have no idea of the great effort expended by the FTD mastering team to locate the best audio sources, and then use the most appropriate methods, machines and applications to derive the finest-ever quality to date of some landmark Elvis Presley recordings.

How quickly some forget. Here are 15 examples from just the past 5 years:

Elvis Is Back!
Loving You
Something For Everybody
Elvis Presley
Let Yourself Go
His Hand In Mine
50 Million Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong
Pot Luck
Elvis In Person
The Wonder Of You
Jailhouse Rock
How Great Thou Art
King Creole : The Music
(Book + CD)
Jailhouse Rock Volume 2
Elvis Sings Guitar Man

Great sound, incredible sessions, insightful notes, amazing outtakes -- a true fan's dream!

And, yet, the majority on this topic can only find fault with Follow That Dream.

My goodness, you don't miss your water 'til the well runs dry, my friends.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:52 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Matthew wrote:

I agree.

In particular, people have no idea of the great effort expended by the FTD mastering team to locate the best audio sources, and then use the most appropriate methods, machines and applications to derive the finest-ever quality to date of some landmark Elvis Presley recordings.

Matthew and Doc, as ever you make fair points (and I have edited my post regarding a solution).

My guess is that booklets were added because the single disc digipaks inevitably appeared expensive compared to the two disc releases, so an attempt was made to add value. The alternative would have been to lower the price on these issues- which I wish they had done instead

With regard to the audio, you will note that Lene Reidel is still involved with the FTD projects, who almost everyone will agree is not first rate when the subject of mastering and sound quality are discussed. Secondly, if the audio was indeed of the finest quality on the FTD label, why was it deemed necessary for some of these same recordings to be remastered again for the Franklin Mint and Complete Masters collections?

Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:58 pm

Mike S wrote:[Secondly, if the audio was indeed of the finest quality on the FTD label, why was it deemed necessary for some of these same recordings to be remastered again for the Franklin Mint and Complete Masters collections?

How do you know which FTD sessions are:

a) Remastered again for The Complete Elvis Presley Masters?
b) Inferior to what was remastered again for The Complete Elvis Presley Masters?

Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:21 pm

Mike S wrote:With regard to the audio, you will note that Lene Reidel is still involved with the FTD projects, who almost everyone will agree is not first rate when the subject of mastering and sound quality are discussed. Secondly, if the audio was indeed of the finest quality on the FTD label, why was it deemed necessary for some of these same recordings to be remastered again for the Franklin Mint and Complete Masters collections?

Lene has had her moments, but even her recent input has dramatically improved. But you yourself seem to prefer her work anyway by what you have written about "At The International" in another topic. That was mastered by Lene Reidel and came out in 2002.

As for the 2007 Sony project - as I understand things it was a Sony directive to restore the entire catalogue in one swoop. Many have attested that the work done by the likes of Kevan and Sebastian for the FTD label prior to this Sony project sound just fine, myself included.

Have you compared like for like for yourself?

Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:08 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike S wrote:[Secondly, if the audio was indeed of the finest quality on the FTD label, why was it deemed necessary for some of these same recordings to be remastered again for the Franklin Mint and Complete Masters collections?

How do you know which FTD sessions are:

a) Remastered again for The Complete Elvis Presley Masters?
b) Inferior to what was remastered again for The Complete Elvis Presley Masters?

My understanding was that the entire catalogue was mastered again to achieve the finest ever audio quality from the promotional advertising for the Complete Masters set. If the previous remastering was of this standard, it's difficult to see why this should be necessary.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:23 pm

Matthew wrote:Lene has had her moments....

Quite so, but more often her work is disappointing....as so many others will attest.
Matthew wrote:But you yourself seem to prefer her work anyway by what you have written about "At The International" in another topic. That was mastered by Lene Reidel and came out in 2002.

In this particular instance that is correct, but at this time she was understudy to Dennis Ferrante which appears to be be significant. Her efforts when entrusted alone with this '69 live material (All Shook Up) do not compare at all.

Matthew wrote:As for the 2007 Sony project - as I understand things it was a Sony directive to restore the entire catalogue in one swoop. Many have attested that the work done by the likes of Kevan and Sebastian for the FTD label prior to this Sony project sound just fine, myself included.

Have you compared like for like for yourself?

No, however regarding the FTD label, the painful inconsistancy in sound quality on releases such as Love Letters, That's The Way It Is and Elvis Country have for the most part kept me away from FTD studio releases. That's without mentioning the ongoing cock-ups, most recently on the Fashion For A King set which appears lamentable in the extreme with regard to both text, content and CD sound quality. Have I personally seen/ heard it? No, and from the reviews and previous experience, I'm not bothered to either.

Which highlights another major drawback on this label. i.e.the continuing sloppy approach. Because of this, it's difficult to conclude that a great deal of effort has been made to ensure a good quality product. If it had, these errors would not be present on a regular basis, simple as that.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:20 pm

However, the classic albums are a disaster.

I'm simply staggered by this comment! These classic album released, containing the albums, relevant singles, first takes and the best of the alternates, are a dream come true for Elvis fans. As Doc and others have pointed out, we are incredibly luck to have them, and I for one, wouldn't want an entire session - these releases are perfect the way they are.

Long may they continue, and if they find a worthwhile way to upgrade them along the way, so be it.

We've never had it so good, so stop acting like a group of spoiled children. I still remember what a revelation the first Essential Elvis release was, after years and years of the same old stuff over and over again.