Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: What to say when people tell you elvis sucks??

Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:23 am

GuitarKing wrote:People who say that have no idea what they are talking about or they are trying to get under your skin..
That's about the case. "Sucks" is not a real opinion. It's just something you to say get someone's goat or to casually dismiss something. Generally if someone tells you that, especially if it's unsolicited nine times out of ten they're not usually interested in having a real conversation about the topic.

Re: What to say when people tell you elvis sucks??

Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:33 pm

When I usually hear comments like that, the best and shortest way to shut them up is to cite his record sales and point out that it's likely that he's sold more than all the artists they listened to combined. (and because he has sold more therefore he is better -> which doesn't make sense and is irrelevant anyways, but it appeals to most people's line of reasoning, [see javin00b]).

This is especially true for a lot of people I know who listen to crap like trance, dance, house, and other electro-nonsense. I give them the figures, and I haven't yet met anyone who can refute it (because it's all factual anyways), it works like a charm everytime.

Re: What to say when people tell you elvis sucks??

Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:54 pm

If what you don't know can't hurt you...

...you must be invulnerable.

Re: What to say when people tell you elvis sucks??

Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:02 pm

Pretty simple actually.

Just tell them to bite your ass.

Re: What to say when people tell you elvis sucks??

Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:26 pm

N880EP wrote:Depends on the person. If it's somebody whom I respect and care about, I might take the time to ask them why and then make a few title suggestions based on what I know about them. They always change their mind (because they were simply unaware).

If I don't know the person too well, I take it as a gauge of their (in)tolerance / ignorance and leave it at that. I've personally never felt comfortable criticizing another person's taste in music (it's like criticizing different ways of being human).


N8



that sounds sensible..........

You can't force someone to 'get' him........and my hackles do rise if someone has a go at him....however, he really doesn't have to justify himself to anyone............

Re: What to say when people tell you elvis sucks??

Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:44 pm

Never happened. Either they don't give him a thought, or they'll tell you what they do like: I have found, many times, that people have said: "You know, I don't listen to him much, except I love his gospel records. Oh, I just love those." Doesn't matter what religion the person is, either, or if they even have any. Those people who generally don't listen to him, in my experience, have found the gospel recordings and just adore them. {The "He Touched Me" program on PBS is, to a large degree, responsible.]

rjm

Re: What to say when people tell you elvis sucks??

Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:38 am

Sorry to dredge up an old thread but I just wanted to agree with rjm about the Gospel thing.
I stopped being properly religious a long time ago but when Elvis sings Gospel it just blows you away. The greatness of Elvis, I think, lies in the way he didn't just sing a song, he felt it and gave it his all.
Whatever song it was. Even Kentucky Rain :twisted:





This could go on forever

Re: What to say when people tell you elvis sucks??

Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:19 pm

never fails to surprise me the amount of people who 'still' don't realise that he sung Gospel........and won Grammy's for it.....

Re: What to say when people tell you elvis sucks??

Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:35 pm

I do say the Beatles suck and Rap music!! Cannot understand Rap at all. It almost seems like they are all the same like lyrics! Hah, :roll:

Re: What to say when people tell you elvis sucks??

Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:43 pm

sheila wrote:I do say the Beatles suck and Rap music!! Cannot understand Rap at all. It almost seems like they are all the same like lyrics! Hah, :roll:


I'm loving Professor Green's album, At Your Inconvenience. It has all the makings of a modern classic, IMO.

phpBB [video]

Re: What to say when people tell you elvis sucks??

Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:49 pm

I've had people tell me they thought Elvis sucks.

I usually inform them that they have no taste.

Re: What to say when people tell you elvis sucks??

Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:08 pm

i can't believe 3 pages of this topic and seemingly no innendo-laden replies!

Re: What to say when people tell you elvis sucks??

Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:51 pm

poormadpeter wrote:i can't believe 3 pages of this topic and seemingly no innendo-laden replies!


You've just got a dirty mind !!! :D

Re: What to say when people tell you elvis sucks??

Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:10 am

Dan_T wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:i can't believe 3 pages of this topic and seemingly no innendo-laden replies!


You've just got a dirty mind !!! :D


...or a very clean mind. I'm sure a really long and hard root would find plenty...

Geoff

Re: What to say when people tell you elvis sucks??

Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:15 am

tupelo_boy wrote:
Dan_T wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:i can't believe 3 pages of this topic and seemingly no innendo-laden replies!


You've just got a dirty mind !!! :D


...or a very clean mind. I'm sure a really long and hard root would find plenty...

Geoff


hey, that sounds rude too !!! :D

Re: What to say when people tell you elvis sucks??

Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:43 am

I usually say "If you think Elvis sucks then listen to THIS" then play them "My Boy" that usually get's them changing their mind really quick..

Re: What to say when people tell you elvis sucks??

Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:29 am

sheila wrote:I do say the Beatles suck and Rap music!!
Cannot understand Rap at all.
It almost seems like they are all the same like lyrics! Hah, :roll:


It's all across the nation,
a big sensation,
we arrive at the station,
to get an education...............

Re: What to say when people tell you elvis sucks??

Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:56 am

:D
Last edited by JimmyCool on Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: What to say when people tell you elvis sucks??

Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:25 pm

golddredgewater wrote:What can you say when a room full of people tell you elvis sucks, and is way over rated?


This happens a lot, but I hear it less these days.

Responding with information such as the volume of his record sales doesn't always work - popularity doesn't necessarily equate with quality.

I was an Elvis loather once and his fame did not move me one bit. It was discovering the unusual songs or learning about his great acts of kindness that made we see him differently. One or two songs grew on me, and then another one, and another one, and so on. And then you get it.

"Overrated" is hard to define. Where does the meaning begin and end? I think we need people to discover him themselves. That's when they get it.

Re: What to say when people tell you elvis sucks??

Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:45 pm

i just say your talking rot or your talking out of your arse ive had a fair bit of elvis bashing over the years but not so much now. but baseically i dont give a rats arse what people think i dont like the beatles and ive had many arguments in the pub with people about them and elvis :D

Re: What to say when people tell you elvis sucks??

Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:39 am

TheCoolKing wrote:I don't care.
I think many other artists suck even bigger.


Many other artists suck even bigger than Elvis, you say? That implies that Elvis sucks, but not quite as much as so many others. That's an interesting perspective coming from a fan. :wink:

Re: What to say when people tell you elvis sucks??

Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:56 pm

I stare 'em square in the eye - cause thats all they have is one big square eye - and I say "YOU AIN'T!!!!"

Usually does the trick.

Re: What to say when people tell you elvis sucks??

Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:14 pm

People say he sucks because they're ignorant.

Re: What to say when people tell you elvis sucks??

Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:26 pm

episthebest wrote:People say he sucks because they're ignorant.


Thank you for reviving another old topic today.

It's good you are picking the important ones. ;-)

Re: What to say when people tell you elvis sucks??

Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:28 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
episthebest wrote:People say he sucks because they're ignorant.


Thank you for reviving another old topic today.

It's good you are picking the important ones. ;-)


I appreciate it very much. :mrgreen: