Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: What to say when people tell you elvis sucks??

Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:25 pm

golddredgewater wrote:What can you say when a room full of people tell you elvis sucks, and is way over rated?

I'd tell them to go choke on a duck sammich. :mrgreen:

Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:56 pm

Get lost.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:09 pm

golddredgewater wrote:What can you say when a room full of people tell you elvis sucks, and is way over rated?

No one has ever told me that -- ever.

But if I like something, I never gave a damn what anyone else thought.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:29 pm

Just say to them

'And what have you done with your life? When Elvis died it was on every front page newspaper around the world, every radio station announced that he had died, and even after 30 years since then, his popularity is still as strong as ever'.

'Whats gonna happen when you die? Nothing, cause you are a nobody, when you'll die, you will be lucky if the undertaker turns up'.

That should shut them up, or they might hit you. :lol:

What to say when people tell you elvis sucks??

Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:55 pm

I don't care.
I think many other artists suck even bigger.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:56 pm

I usually say is that the best assessment you can give?, not very intellectual was it? :evil:

Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:30 pm

«Yes, you're right. Now where's the buffet?»

Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:34 pm

You laugh, and you say "Have fun with that."

Such comments, using the catch-all, meaningless "sucks" qualifier, indicate an ignorance so deep you might as well change the subject and discuss the weather.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:53 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Such comments, using the catch-all, meaningless "sucks" qualifier, indicate an ignorance so deep you might as well change the subject and discuss the weather.

Doc,Iloveyou... :D

Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:55 pm

minkahed wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Doc,Iloveyou... :D

:smt007 :smt007 :smt007 :smt007

::rocks ::rocks ::rocks

Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:16 am

Just say,that's your opinion & you're entitled to it, but don't step on my blue suede shoes. I mean somebody likes him, because he is still making millions 34 years after his death.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:23 am

Say "I am in full agreement, Costello has never been my cup of tea either".

::rocks

Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:28 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

This. Definitely this. ::rocks

Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:48 am

I usually pull my gun out and point it to their head and say " you WILL like Elvis or I'll blow your F&ckin' head off" the laugh and say "just kidding" after all that's what Elvis would do...

Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:23 am

What do people say to y'all when you tell them The Beatles suck?

Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:42 pm

Matthew wrote:What do people say to y'all when you tell them The Beatles suck?

I've never encountered that at all. In England, almost everybody loves The Beatles or at least accepts them as cool even if they don't dig their music. The same cannot be said of Elvis Presley however.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:06 pm

If I were you I'd ask Mummy and Daddy never to arrange a play date with them ever again.

Alternatively you could hold your breath until you turn blue and that should show them.

Geoff
Last edited by tupelo_boy on Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:07 pm

ask them who their favorite artist is.
Then, go on to explain that artists like Elvis, Little Richard and the other pioneers of rock n roll back in the 1950's, built the foundation that evolved into todays music. And if they don't seem to "get it", direct them to a good book or documentary that explains Elvis' place in the rock n roll universe and they may soon realize Elvis is more than just long sideburns and shaky legs (which most people think of when they hear the name "Elvis").

Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:27 am

People who claim that Elvis sucks obviously don't know the influence he has on musicians and bands like, Led Zeppelin, Bruce Springsteen, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles and Suzi Quatro among many others. They might show a bit more respect if they realized that the music or the people they probably listen to were influenced by Elvis.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:51 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

That about says it all. I actually grew up with a lot of that crap in the 80's. It bothered me as a kid but by the time I was 17 I just didn't care what others thought about my interests.

Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:46 pm

People who say that have no idea what they are talking about or they are trying to get under your skin.. When people tell me that I ask them to name 5 Elvis songs, they can't. So it shows you what they're saying is based in ignorance. Elvis does not suck. That is the most ignorant thing some one could say. He may not be your cup of tea but you at least can say you respect him. If they can't even say that your talking to a total a@$hole and leave their uninformed self alone.

Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:21 am

Depends on the person. If it's somebody whom I respect and care about, I might take the time to ask them why and then make a few title suggestions based on what I know about them. They always change their mind (because they were simply unaware).

If I don't know the person too well, I take it as a gauge of their (in)tolerance / ignorance and leave it at that. I've personally never felt comfortable criticizing another person's taste in music (it's like criticizing different ways of being human).

N8

Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:31 am

I tell them I'm going to pull their Gaddamn tongue out by the roots - and then tenderly sing "Can't Help Falling In Love" whilst handing out about three pounds of white satin.

Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:53 am

Good Time Charlie wrote:
Matthew wrote:What do people say to y'all when you tell them The Beatles suck?

I've never encountered that at all. In England, almost everybody loves The Beatles or at least accepts them as cool even if they don't dig their music. The same cannot be said of Elvis Presley however.

I always say the beatles SUCK but thats just me, i know the record books say different just like wiv Elvis , if you don't like Elvis's not my problem but u mite need to seek medical attention lol.
Last edited by xmascarrol on Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:15 am

just look at all the great ones who admire Elvis Led Zeppelin as an example, it just separates the idiots from the wise in the music field when people say Elvis sucks ...we all know better don't we?