song "something" in aloha

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Re: song "something" in aloha

Post by drjohncarpenter »

epf wrote:But 1973 was a VERY rough year for Elvis privately, already at this point in time.
1973 was only 2 weeks old when "Aloha" was taped. How rough could it have gotten in 14 days?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

I believe Elvis was mentally "up" for this show and was looking forward to putting on a stellar performance... which in his mind, to those around him and to his fans worldwide he accomplished. By late 1972, the medication Elvis was taking was a part of his daily routine and I'm sure he didn't give it a second thought regardless of what he was doing... the fact that he was going on worldwide television did little to influence that (in my opinion).

Billy Budd
Registered for: 14 years 6 months

Post by Billy Budd »

The Aloha-version of Something is just perfect. Wonderful performance by Elvis. Love it.

Topic author
tcb4
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by tcb4 »

elvis is sweating so much in other songs ; the temperature was probably high (more than 25 deg cel) and i read somewhere that the weight of his jumpsuit was 30 kgs !!

epf

Post by epf »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
epf wrote:But 1973 was a VERY rough year for Elvis privately, already at this point in time.
1973 was only 2 weeks old when "Aloha" was taped. How rough could it have gotten in 14 days?
Ah, something with a divorce i believe. But docs know best, right?

epf

Post by epf »

On the 8th(!!!) of January 1973 Elvis filed for divorce. A year can get rough pretty quick, doc. If you were real, you'd know.

greystoke

Post by greystoke »

tcb4 wrote:elvis is sweating so much in other songs ; the temperature was probably high (more than 25 deg cel) and i read somewhere that the weight of his jumpsuit was 30 kgs !!
I doubt that Elvis's jumpsuit weighed 5kg, let alone 30kg . . .

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

A song sang by Elvis with no passion in Aloha. Why, oh, why he didn't perform It's Now or Never instead in this worldwide event??
And other hits from the 50.'s 60's and 70's (like Separate Ways, his last single on the market in January 1973) also from his own catalogue.

Renan
Registered for: 19 years 4 months

Post by Renan »

For the Aloha concert, Elvis performs a good version of "Something" and that's what it is.

The 1970 versions from August or even early 1971 were better for sure. And were also better vocally.

"Ain't it funny how time slips away...."

Elvisgirl
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Post by Elvisgirl »

Billy Budd wrote:The Aloha-version of Something is just perfect. Wonderful performance by Elvis. Love it.
I agree...absolutely love it

karlos

Post by karlos »

''Something '' -Aloha version from Jan.14th 73 is a good version -
Yes he did it many times at Vegas in '70-72 - Its a good version in my books with the aura of audience rapport etc - He seems to be relaxed during this song knowing full well of the global audience he was attract'n and his job during this show -
At this stage of his career he was a megastar who was achievn his goal by atracting newer audiences and fans worldwide
- Amen -I Love It -
::rocks
I Truly believe this folks /fans
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Elvisgirl
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Post by Elvisgirl »

karlos wrote:''Something '' -Aloha version from Jan.14th 73 is a good version -
Yes he did it many times at Vegas in '70-72 - Its a good version in my books with the aura of audience rapport etc - He seems to be relaxed during this song knowing full well of the global audience he was attract'n and his job during this show -
At this stage of his career he was a megastar who was achievn his goal by atracting newer audiences and fans worldwide
- Amen -I Love It -
great post karlos ::rocks

karlos

Post by karlos »

Elvisgirl wrote:
karlos wrote:''Something '' -Aloha version from Jan.14th 73 is a good version -
- Amen -I Love It -
great post karlos ::rocks

Ty elvis girl for comment - ::rocks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GuitarKing
Registered for: 14 years

Post by GuitarKing »

He did a pitiful job on that song. No effort. He needed to put everything into that hour and he didn't. Not the time to slack off. :roll:

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Someone revived this classic ... I see I missed a few posts.
epf wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Ah, something with a divorce i believe. But docs know best, right?
epf wrote:On the 8th(!!!) of January 1973 Elvis filed for divorce. A year can get rough pretty quick, doc. If you were real, you'd know.
Oh, I am real.

Priscilla moved out in December 1971. Elvis found steady girlfriend Linda Thompson in July 1972. He filed for divorce on August 18, 1972.

So, again, how and why would the first two weeks of January 1973 be VERY rough?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

GuitarKing
Registered for: 14 years

Post by GuitarKing »

TCB-FAN wrote:January 26th, 1971 version ain't that bad either.

That's a good one! Elvis comes in a little early a lot though.

tomogland
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by tomogland »

In my opinion Elvis' version of this wasn't very exciting.
But James Brown also did a version of this in 1973, and that's the one I would recommend. Far superior to all versions I've heard by any artist, including the Beatles' original.

Best regards,
Tom from Norway

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

i've got to say that the performance was ok, i didnt like this song when i first heard it, i couldnt even stand listening to it while years went on it grew on me. I like all versions (1970,1971,1972,Ashville 1975) but the only one i usually skip is the one from aloha. heck in ashville 2 years later when it was a request. elvis putted more effort into the song then he did on aloha..

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

tcb4 wrote:hello

your thoughts on the song "something" in aloha ?

give an adjective for elvis' performance !
Unfortunate.

TCB-FAN
Registered for: 15 years

Post by TCB-FAN »

drjohncarpenter wrote:

It must have been a rough 14 days.

"If The Songs Don't Go Over With The Crowd, We Can Always Do A Medley Of Costumes."

Elvis A. Presley, 1970

ImWanderingif
Registered for: 9 years 5 months

Post by ImWanderingif »

you ppl really think that elvis didn t try his best for this worldwide concert ? he clearly did but i don t know why he did this song, he could have done always on my mind or separate ways

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
Registered for: 20 years

Post by fn2drive »

Hard to believe that George Harrison's vocal and rendition is superior to any Elvis version but it is true. Aloha presented a singer who started nervous or at least focused on not delivering a flaw. To that extent he succeeded. Indeed that he performed live and actually sang vs had a backing track in front of the worldwide audience flawlessly is pretty incredible. Huge pressure. But his voice was hardly perfect. And he was hardly drug free. Another myth imo. His eyes have that stoned glassy look. In any event Something required a delicacy that he was no longer capable of delivering with his voice.

Hack n. 1. a person, esp. a professional, who surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward

wecanmakethemorning
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Post by wecanmakethemorning »

The 'Aloha' concert showed a tentative delivery of the song - although, in his defence, it was the biggest gig of his career and he was only 5 or 6 minutes into the show, so it's quite understandable. It may have been a better number later on, maybe after 'What Now My Love'. Certainly it pales compared to the August 1970 versions.

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

The Beatles version of the song is the best. Sad to me is that Elvis didn't realize that and he sang a lackluster "Something" in Aloha-including the bad Joe Guercio orchestra sound. The Beatles composed and sang one of their greatest songs in my opinion and Elvis with Joe Guercio orchestra in Aloha did a mediocre version of this wonderful song. It seems that in 1973 Elvis didn't realize that his voice also was not so good comparing to 1970.

FrankieRider2
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by FrankieRider2 »

Not a great version by any stretch...the 1970 versions are better; he sounds more invested in the song.

The whole Aloha experience comes off to me more and more as I get older as all show and no go. Great look, not a hair out of place, fantastic costume, etc. I've never understood why he didn't blow it out for fans whose home countries he had to have known by then that he would never visit. That was the time to do it if ever there was one...just my opinion, of course.

Frankie Rider, II
Arkansas
USA