Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: song "something" in aloha

Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:49 pm

Flat.

Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:55 pm

Always been my favorate version and the band was on top of their game that morning.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:00 am

Uninspired.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:16 am

I don't particularly like the song and Elvis does nothing with it.
Flat.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:30 am

I love the song but there's no excuse for Elvis' terrible effort on it in Aloha. It's O.K. but unmemorable in 1970.

Aloha has been debated here many times. IMO, there should have been no listless, throw-away performances in a show of this magnitude. It amazes me how much Elvis could get away with during his career. Magnetism and charisma carried him when he chose to take it easy.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:58 am

The impact of his drug abuse is apparent when you consider his throwaway performances here in front of a world wide audience, knowing where his career was just 5 years earlier. He already was convinced he was invinceable again.

stevelecher wrote:I love the song but there's no excuse for Elvis' terrible effort on it in Aloha. It's O.K. but unmemorable in 1970.

Aloha has been debated here many times. IMO, there should have been no listless, throw-away performances in a show of this magnitude. It amazes me how much Elvis could get away with during his career. Magnetism and charisma carried him when he chose to take it easy.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:37 am

promiseland wrote:Always been my favorate version and the band was on top of their game that morning.

I watched 'Aloha' yesterday, straight after "Tickle Me" and I'd agree that the band really are on the top of their game. With the exception of only a couple of songs, i.e "What Now My Love" Elvis' overall performance is lackluster. I've always found the show to be pretty dull frankly. Little effort was made on Elvis' part from what Marty Pasetta had described as essentially being a boring concert the previous November.

"I need all the help I can get"

Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:44 am

There are lackluster performances, like Something, but I couldn't call the whole show lackluster. The good and great performances, along with Elvis' charisma, still makes this show an event. I just wish he had performed to a 1970 level on everything.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:33 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:
california boy wrote:I love "Something" from the Jan 14th show. ::rocks

Did anyone tell you that you somewhat resemble Hugh Laurie ?

Yeah :) and i know who... :wink: :wink: :wink:
:smt006

Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:14 pm

stevelecher wrote:There are lackluster performances, like Something, but I couldn't call the whole show lackluster. The good and great performances, along with Elvis' charisma, still makes this show an event. I just wish he had performed to a 1970 level on everything.

That's the whole point of Aloha. It's an event, a thing greater than the sum of it's parts if you like.

Elvis wasn't really trying, his nervousness didn't inspire him the way it had in '68.

I've always said Aloha provides the inspiration for the majority of ETA's. They couldn't do 1950's, 68 Special or TTWII Elvis, but this is easy by comparison.

Geoff

Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:20 pm

I don't necessarily buy the nervous bit. If you're nervous, you're not lackluster like that. Elvis was nervous for the first sit down show, the first Dorsey show. If he was nervous like those times, it would have brought out the best in him.

Unfortunately, the ETAs also borrow a lot from EIC.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:36 pm

It may not be his best performance of the song but he looks fantastic! :D

phpBB [video]

Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:42 pm

Below par.

The 1970 versions are quite beautiful in comparison. Same kind of dreary vocal that affects most of the Aloha stuff like CC Rider, Burning love, Suspicious Minds, Mountain, My Way, the oldies, Johnny B Goode, I Can't Stop Loving You, Steamroller Blues, Whole Lotta Shakin', Fever etc.

His best vocals on Aloha are I'll Remember You, I'm So Lonesome, It's Over and What Now My Love. Even Trilogy doesn't come anwhere near the 1972 versions, or indeed some early 1974 versions. It looks visually stunning however.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:51 pm

tupelo_boy wrote:Aloha provides the inspiration for the majority of ETA's.

stevelecher wrote:Unfortunately, the ETAs also borrow a lot from EIC.

The majority of ETAs inspired by the real Elvis? I wish that were so.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:32 pm

I think Elvis' Aloha version of Trilogy is outstanding, also love his Aloha version of 'I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry' and 'A Big Hunk 'O' Love', im sure nerves did wreak 'Something' but i think the Aloha gets written off too quickly, i have to admit, though 'Something' is better in 1970 and 'Steamroller' is better in Memphis 1974.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:56 pm

Regardless of how unique this event was, Elvis was a professional, with almost 20 years behind him as an entertainer -- the five years prior found him returning to live appearances through an intimate performances on a TV special, extended seasons in Las Vegas, tours and concerts at some of the premier arenas in America. To cite nerves as an excuse for Elvis's sub-par performances is to ignore how seasoned a performer he actually was. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there were uncertainties on Elvis's part, but I don't believe him to have been a rabbit in the headlights.

And yes, there were some fine performances during Aloha -- with American Trilogy proving to be very good, whilst It's Over and What Now My Love found Elvis approaching every word with conviction, not to mention a sense of fun leaking into A Big Hunk O' Love and a so-so Fever that, if nothing else, was a crowd-pleaser for those at the H.I.C . . . But this is a show that really wasn't much fun; and even if Elvis smiled, posed, kissed the girls and tossed scarves, he didn't seem to be engaged or inspired by the moment. And such is the big question mark over Aloha . . . Because it's said the he was drug-free, eating well and having excercised in preparation for the show; yet his drug-use wasn't proving detrimental to his concerts in 1972, so whatever fetters Elvis brought to Aloha were his own.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:23 pm

greystoke wrote:Because it's said the he was drug-free, eating well and having excercised in preparation for the show; yet his drug-use wasn't proving detrimental to his concerts in 1972, so whatever fetters Elvis brought to Aloha were his own.

My understanding is that Elvis shot-up (with whatever concoction of meds he was using at the time) right before he went out on stage. The effects of drug use appears (at least to me anyway) to be quite apparent during that performance... more in his voice than in his appearance.
Another example of Elvis "getting medicated" right before a show, while much later, is his Rapid City, SD show in June 1977. If you see him (on the video) as he first arrived at the building vs. when he was given the award from the young native American girl backstage... it's obvious he is stoned.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:19 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
greystoke wrote:Because it's said the he was drug-free, eating well and having excercised in preparation for the show; yet his drug-use wasn't proving detrimental to his concerts in 1972, so whatever fetters Elvis brought to Aloha were his own.

My understanding is that Elvis shot-up (with whatever concoction of meds he was using at the time) right before he went out on stage. The effects of drug use appears (at least to me anyway) to be quite apparent during that performance... more in his voice than in his appearance.

Agreed. There is no doubt Elvis is medicated. The evidence is apparent through his actions, demeanor, tentative delivery, and the look of his eyes. Some will argue through tired rhetoric that he was "clean" for Aloha, but critical analysis of the era and an objective viewing of the footage will allow one to come to a different conclusion.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:21 pm

Shaky wrote:I think Elvis' Aloha version of Trilogy is outstanding, also love his Aloha version of 'I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry' and 'A Big Hunk 'O' Love', im sure nerves did wreak 'Something' but i think the Aloha gets written off too quickly, i have to admit, though 'Something' is better in 1970 and 'Steamroller' is better in Memphis 1974.

The ALOHA rehearsal of 'Steamroller' just pips the main show performance...

Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:27 pm

midnightx wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:

Agreed. There is no doubt Elvis is medicated. The evidence is apparent through his actions, demeanor, tentative delivery, and the look of his eyes. Some will argue through tired rhetoric that he was "clean" for Aloha, but critical analysis of the era and an objective viewing of the footage will allow one to come to a different conclusion.

Maybe you're right! Or his performance may have been the result of a fad diet he was on making him weak, and lacking in his usual vitality.

How the hell does he sing 'Trllogy' medicated...I've heard Sonny West say Elvis went on some kind of medication straight after the show, but to say he dabbled before that's subjective.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:39 pm

I'm sure he's on something too during Aloha. His vitality is absent. His voice is weakened and lacks any real control. Watch some of the same songs from the available ON TOUR footage and do comparisons. Big Hunk, Can't Help Falling In Love, I Can't Stop Loving You, Trilogy, CC Rider, Burning Love et al. There's no comparison.

On CC Rider (Hampton Roads) and Burning Love (San Antone), Elvis is vocally on fire, and physically dynamic. The Aloha versions are bizare. Like a 65 year old Elvis trapped in a 38 year old body.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:48 pm

a mess of polk salad wrote:How the hell does he sing 'Trllogy' medicated...I've heard Sonny West say Elvis went on some kind of medication straight after the show, but to say he dabbled before that's subjective.

We're talking about one or two tracks. He also focused during How Great Thou Art and My Way during the EIC concerts.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:22 pm

a mess of polk salad wrote:
midnightx wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:

Maybe you're right! Or his performance may have been the result of a fad diet he was on making him weak, and lacking in his usual vitality.

How the hell does he sing 'Trllogy' medicated...I've heard Sonny West say Elvis went on some kind of medication straight after the show, but to say he dabbled before that's subjective.

Had his doctor injected him caffeine instead of morphine on the morning of January 14th, 1973, we would've had a completely different concert altogether.

Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:37 pm

tcb4 wrote:hello

your thoughts on the song "something" in aloha ?

give an adjective for elvis' performance !

BORING.

Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:26 am

greystoke wrote:Regardless of how unique this event was, Elvis was a professional, with almost 20 years behind him as an entertainer -- the five years prior found him returning to live appearances through an intimate performances on a TV special, extended seasons in Las Vegas, tours and concerts at some of the premier arenas in America. To cite nerves as an excuse for Elvis's sub-par performances is to ignore how seasoned a performer he actually was. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there were uncertainties on Elvis's part, but I don't believe him to have been a rabbit in the headlights.

And yes, there were some fine performances during Aloha -- with American Trilogy proving to be very good, whilst It's Over and What Now My Love found Elvis approaching every word with conviction, not to mention a sense of fun leaking into A Big Hunk O' Love and a so-so Fever that, if nothing else, was a crowd-pleaser for those at the H.I.C . . . But this is a show that really wasn't much fun; and even if Elvis smiled, posed, kissed the girls and tossed scarves, he didn't seem to be engaged or inspired by the moment. And such is the big question mark over Aloha . . . Because it's said the he was drug-free, eating well and having excercised in preparation for the show; yet his drug-use wasn't proving detrimental to his concerts in 1972, so whatever fetters Elvis brought to Aloha were his own.

Agreed. But 1973 was a VERY rough year for Elvis privately, already at this point in time.